• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Honestly how are there likely voters for 2020.

Are you calling 14 year olds who are politically active.
I would say maybe hope that the millennial bloc would vote for once in their lives, but of course that is like asking for a miracle

If they would turn out in 2018 maybe we'd have hope for 2020

Toxi

Banned
LOL at the horseshit generic reply I got after emailing Cory Gardner today

As a product of public schools myself, and a father with one child - soon to be three - in the public school system, I believe it is important to have someone leading the Department of Education who will fight for public schools. When I had the opportunity to meet Betsy DeVos personally, she pledged to me that she would be an advocate for public schools, teachers, and educational opportunity for all. The debate around her nomination has been a healthy exercise of our democracy, made all the more important because it involves our most precious possession, our children. As someone who believes education decisions should be left to parents and their children with policy driven locally, Congress will hold her accountable and I will work to ensure she lives up to the commitment she made to me.

Fuck you. Spineless piece of garbage.

C4EviPtW8AEfsFt.jpg:large

From WSJ WH reporter
We elected a total cunt

Even the sheriff was like take it easy dude

studyguy

Even if the full bloc isn't 18 yet, we're past the point where we should be able to compete with the boomers

pew1ft_16.05.13_eligiblemillennialvoters_custom-04a00b5b4b433b7acd4870516300a80fa0e9fc8c-s400-c85.png

Instead we have low turnout

Millennial gen just doesn't give a fuck in large enough numbers. Maybe eventually, not yet though. Appeals to youth vote are as fruitless as ever.

Truly, what is the point of the Green Party in a First-Past-The-Post system if they continue to be a self-defeating actor within the left?

Dierce

I really don't know how you guys can keep this up. This is the most stressful it has ever been for me as a liberal minded individual.

I just don't see any way out of this one, the hole just keeps getting deeper and there are not enough of us to build a ladder. Peaceful protests are not solving anything because the orange bigot just brushes them aside like any dictator would. And on the other hand violence would only considerate their hold in this country and bring in more draconian measures against liberals.

I guess I will be taking a break from politics for a while.

NeoXChaos

Millennial gen just doesn't give a fuck in large enough numbers. Maybe eventually, not yet though. Appeals to youth vote are as fruitless as ever.

I doubt baby boomers cared either until they got older starting families, businesses, life experiences etc into the 80's-Present.

Truly, what is the point of the Green Party in a First-Past-The-Post system if they continue to be a self-defeating actor within the left?
Considering they didn't give a fuck about this after the 2000 election, and as we've witnessed by their not giving a fuck after the 2016 election while doing the exact same thing, I think it's pretty safe to assume the candidates at the top of the ticket just don't give a fuck about actually improving America. It's for personal ego, money, internet fame, whatever.

Do all their voters not give a fuck? I'm not saying that at all, and even the party itself l don't think automatically gives zero fucks, but all their actions have had horrible consequences. Were it up to me they'd all be forced to wear the "but her emails" flood picture on a tshirt every day for the next 4 years.

UberTag

Spicer and Trump can't WAIT for the next terror attack. They're just itching for it. They even have to bring up old stories by claiming the press isn't covering them because there's no recent attack in America. Just disgusting.

Statistically, you're more likely to be killed by your own furniture than a terrorist, but "the world is a very dangerous place these days" according to Spicer. Fear-baiting nonsense.
The Reichstag was lit ablaze on Day 28 of Hitler's reign.
It is now Day 19 of Trump's reign.
9 days to go... the Reichstag clock is ticking.
Of course, if they're waiting for the official anniversary, we'll have to wait another 20 days.

The core of Green Party support consists of people for whom being outside "the system" is part of their identity. There is literally nothing the Democratic Party could do to win them over because it isn't even really about issues. Their support above that in any given election is basically just left-wing protest votes.

The Reichstag was lit ablaze on Day 28 of Hitler's reign.
It is now Day 19 of Trump's reign.
9 days to go... the Reichstag clock is ticking.
Of course, if they're waiting for the official anniversary, we'll have to wait another 20 days.

Hitler's people were competent.

The Trump admin is so disloyal and leak-prone that they will tell anyone who's listening that Trump's cabinet people are too stupid to know how to turn on the lights in the meeting room.

Any false flag would be leaked immediately.

Chumley

Banned
Maher is useless and a shit yep.

By all means, let's make enemies and set up purity tests among liberals, that's sure to work. Let's pretend like Bill Maher hasn't been fighting viciously for liberal values for 15 years.

This is why we lose. For fucks sake. That Twitter thread is reaching so hard I'm surprised the guys arm hasn't broken. He doesn't know anything about Maher or his history.

By all means, let's make enemies and set up purity tests among liberals, that's sure to work. Let's pretend like Bill Maher hasn't been fighting viciously for liberal values for 15 years.

This is why we lose. For fucks sake.

Frankly, that describes Maher more so than his critics. And his purity tests are racist.

This is why we lose. For fucks sake. That Twitter thread is reaching so hard I'm surprised the guys arm hasn't broken. He doesn't know anything about Maher or his history.

Maher literally promotes white nationalist talking points.

Chumley

Banned
Frankly, that describes Maher more so than his critics. And his purity tests are racist.

No, it really doesn't, Maher has been making the point for years now that we need to stop squabbling over grievances and look at the bigger picture. Look at how Republicans get over themselves and get in line at the end of the day no matter what. That's why they win and what we need to start doing if we ever want to win again. Trying to make him out as racist is reaching and willfully misinterpreting him.

Maher literally promotes white nationalist talking points.

What? Receipts please.

The "this is why we lose" meme needs to stop being said about every little thing. Less people watching Maher's shitty tv show isn't going to make us lose anything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There's a difference between a purity test and calling someone out. People been calling Maher out for years now, I should know considering I've been doing it on GAF since I first got here way back when.

He hasn't exactly been "fighting viciously for liberal values for 15 years" when you consider how he talks about Muslims, among other issues. The dude is just bad when it comes to race and religion and should be called out on it. We can all be better than we are, he just doesn't try.

Chumley

Banned
The "this is why we lose" meme needs to stop being said about every little thing. Less people watching Maher's shitty tv show isn't going to make us lose anything.

Yes it will. It's yet another thing to divide up the party. You think the liberals like me that agree with his attitude are some small insignificant minority you can safely ignore? Didn't we learn from Bernie that this is bullshit?

There's a difference between a purity test and calling someone out. People been calling Maher out for years now, I should know considering I've been doing it on GAF since I first got here way back when.

He hasn't exactly been "fighting viciously for liberal values for 15 years" when you consider how he talks about Muslims, among other issues. The dude is just bad when it comes to race and religion and should be called out on it.

So what exactly is so bad about how he talks about Muslims? He had Sam Harris on last week and pretty much everything they said was reasonable. They aren't trying to demonize with a broad brush, they want to reform the bad ideas of Islam like Sharia law, etc.

No, it really doesn't, Maher has been making the point for years now that we need to stop squabbling over grievances and look at the bigger picture. Look at how Republicans get over themselves and get in line at the end of the day no matter what. That's why they win and what we need to start doing if we ever want to win again. Trying to make him out as racist is reaching and willfully misinterpreting him.

Then he needs to stop using the term "regressive left" like yesterday.

THIS TOO! Of the problems with Democratic campaigns and messaging, "liberals complaining about Bill Maher" is, well, not one.

Chumley

Banned
Then he needs to stop using the term "regressive left" like yesterday.

THIS TOO! Of the problems with Democratic campaigns and messaging, "liberals complaining about Bill Maher" is, well, not one.

So you're shitting on him just for using a term you don't like? What about the context with which the term was used and the content of his point? This is what I'm saying, you're starting shit over the most trivial of issues ever and saying no one should listen to him because of it. It's unbelievably counter-productive. Hear people out, accept that they're different, but realize at the end of the day we're all fighting for the same thing. Making an enemy of Maher makes no god damn sense at all.

sangreal

So what exactly is so bad about how he talks about Muslims? He had Sam Harris on last week and pretty much everything they said was reasonable. They aren't trying to demonize with a broad brush, they want to reform the bad ideas of Islam like Sharia law, etc.

demonizing with a broad brush is exactly what Maher does when it comes to muslims

I say this as someone who thinks the left is ridiculous with their see no evil hear no evil stance on the topic

Even if the full bloc isn't 18 yet, we're past the point where we should be able to compete with the boomers

pew1ft_16.05.13_eligiblemillennialvoters_custom-04a00b5b4b433b7acd4870516300a80fa0e9fc8c-s400-c85.png

Instead we have low turnout
Well the mistake this election was appealing to white suburban moms and trying to get them to flip instead of driving up youth turnout and appealing to young people.

Chumley

Banned
demonizing with a broad brush is exactly what Maher does when it comes to muslims

I say this as someone who thinks the left is ridiculous with their see no evil hear no evil stance on the topic

Did you listen to the Sam Harris interview? You're incredibly wrong.

sangreal

Did you listen to the Sam Harris interview? You're incredibly wrong.

No, I didn't listen to the specific one you may have but I have seen plenty of Bill Maher railing against Islam

It's not like he just adopted the position recently

Here is an interview literally titled, "Bill Maher: Yes, I Can Generalize About Muslims":

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...th-ben-affleck-and-drinks-with-rand-paul.html

But when you do make generalizations about Islam...
...It's not a generalization! First of all, this is nonsense—this idea that you can't make generalizations. All of knowledge is based on generalizations. No one can interview all 1.5 billion Muslims in the world. It's a dumb argument. Read any history book and it'll use the word ”Christendom," but they didn't interview every Christian in the 1600s. We're talking facts. We're talking polls that have been done over decades, time and time again telling us what people are thinking about the world. So this idea that we are making generalizations? It's just stupid. We understand that 1.5 billion people don't all think alike and that there are differences from country-to-country, but you can't advance any sort of knowledge without making generalizations and it doesn't mean they're inaccurate. To say that it's a widespread belief in the Muslim world that death is the appropriate response to leaving the religion is just a statement of fact. We should stop arguing about that and move on from it and figure out what we can do about it. To dismiss that is just like saying, ”Global warming doesn't exist."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom