• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT1| From Russia with Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

“There's a difference,” Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) told CNN’s Alisyn Camerota, when she asked him why Trump hadn’t condemned the white supremacist who killed six Muslim congregants during prayer at a Canadian mosque on Jan. 29.

“Again, death and murder on both sides is wrong, but if you want to take the dozens of scenarios where ISIS-inspired attacks have taken innocents, and you give one example of what was in Canada, I’m going to condemn them all,” Duffy said. “But again, you don't have a group like ISIS or Al Qaeda that’s inspiring people around the world to take up arms and kill innocents. That was a one-off, that was a one-off, Alisyn. And you have a movement on the other side.”

When Camerota brought up other examples of white people committing acts of terrorism—the Oklahoma City bombing and the Charleston shooting of black church-goers—Duffy was dismissive.

“Oklahoma was, what, 20 years ago?” he said. “That's different than this whole movement that has taken place through ISIS.”

“It does matter,” he said later of the Charleston massacre. “Look at the good things that came from it. Nikki Haley took down the confederate flag, that was great!”

Duffy went on to ask Camerota whether there was any way to prevent white supremacist attacks.

“What do we do on the white supremacy front to make sure we don't have another attack like Charleston? I am with you on that, Alisyn,” he said.

Holy shit.

The biggest difference between white domestic terrorists and Islamic terrorist is that... You are highly more likely to be injured or killed by a white domestic terrorist.
Hell, you have an entire political party that is full if people with domestic terrorism tendencies.

sangreal

“Again, death and murder on both sides is wrong, but if you want to take the dozens of scenarios where ISIS-inspired attacks have taken innocents, and you give one example of what was in Canada, I’m going to condemn them all,” Duffy said. “But again, you don't have a group like ISIS or Al Qaeda that’s inspiring people around the world to take up arms and kill innocents. That was a one-off, that was a one-off, Alisyn. And you have a movement on the other side.”

We have groups and a President inspiring white nationalists

Blader

“Look at the good things that came from it. Nikki Haley took down the confederate flag, that was great!”

Shame she couldn't just do that because it was the right thing to do.

If nine people killed is the going rate for yielding something good coming out of a massacre, though, I guess the one in Canada falls short as there were only six victims. So I can see why Trump would be unable to talk about it!

So why do Cuban Americans hate Mexican immigrants ?

Wet foot dry foot policy gave Cuban migrants a leg up on Mexican and Central/South American immigrants. Of course, that policy is now over, so it'll be interesting to see if that changes any attitudes.

I haven't heard about this, can I get a source? I believe it, would just be interested in reading more.

I mean, it's not terribly unprecedented and makes some sense (especially since Pennsylvania is a geographically large area), but there isn't a lot to read, it's just campaign gossip stuff.

Also Trump's disapproval is now at 54% on Gallup. Approval (and the number that still needs to get below 40) is at 42%.

Toxi

Banned
I'm so sick of junior shitposters.

"Hi I registered for GAF five years ago and posted once in that time but please discuss politics with my seriously"

Trump abandoning Obama's plan to arm Kurdish fighters to take out ISIS is one of the weirdest stories of his admin...

It wasn't a very good plan (arming a terrorist organization at war with a NATO ally has problems), but Trump constantly argued for arming the Kurds on the campaign trail.

Toxi

Banned
"nyt doxxed students"

that's not what that piece says.
They released the room numbers of those college students. While calling it "doxxing" is inaccurate, it is something the staff of the NYT should regret. Excusing it as making the narrative more compelling is a joke.

At least the reporter is regretful.

sangreal

The NYT doxxed a bunch of undocumented college students to make the story more "interesting"

https://mobile.twitter.com/egabbert/status/828989241258545152

Brb, gonna go set a church on fire to make my story about religion more interesting.

wtf

gotta side with the ombudsman on this one

Without even considering their immigration status, why in the world do they need to publish someone's dorm room

"nyt doxxed students"

that's not what that piece says.

yes it is. that piece is the ombudsman explaining how they were wrong

Perriello's hires are almost 50/50 Hillary/Bernie hires.

IT'S LIKE SOMEONE GETS IT

C4FXcf7WQAAvRmt.jpg:large

Also, good:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...eedf1627882_story.html?utm_term=.8b48bce5ec0c

Virginia Democratic gubernatorial candidate Tom Perriello has raised more than $1.1 million in the month since he entered the race, his campaign announced Monday.

Analysts say it is an early sign that the former congressman is capable of mounting a serious primary challenge to Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam, who declared his candidacy two years ago and had won backing from nearly every top elected Democrat before Perriello made his surprise entry into the race on Jan. 5.

Perriello campaign officials declined to detail the sources of contributions, beyond saying they included 2,500 online donations. Virginia does not cap campaign giving, meaning fundraising totals can be skewed by six-figure checks.

The state requires candidates for governor to file their first campaign finance reports for this year on April 17.

Both Democrats and Republicans will hold a primary election in June; the general election is in November. Virginia and New Jersey are the only states with gubernatorial elections this year.

Perriello's first-month haul is ”not a super-huge amount, but it's an amount that makes people take notice," said Bob Holsworth, a longtime Virginia political analyst. ”His first hurdle is to overcome the sense that he got in too late and this is already a done deal. A combination of the early polls and the fact he was able to raise a little money is very close to getting him over that hurdle."

Jennifer Duffy, who analyzes gubernatorial races for the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, said the $1.1 million haul is a sign ”that Perriello is competitive, that this is a real race."

A poll released last week by the Wason Center for Public Policy at Christopher Newport University showed Northam with an edge over Perriello among Democratic-leaning voters, but also found that voters were largely unfamiliar with both Democratic candidates and most were undecided.

Spicer and Trump can't WAIT for the next terror attack. They're just itching for it. They even have to bring up old stories by claiming the press isn't covering them because there's no recent attack in America. Just disgusting.

Statistically, you're more likely to be killed by your own furniture than a terrorist, but "the world is a very dangerous place these days" according to Spicer. Fear-baiting nonsense.

EDIT: I'm glad one of the reporters just called him out on this language.

So Trump rushed that Yemen raid to capture or kill an AQ leader so he can stick his chest out say he's strong on terrorism like Obama? That's so disgraceful. If this was Hillary, this is all we would be hearing on the news. This is all what Republicans would of been talking about.

NeoXChaos

If you want to oust Collins you got 3 years to find a credible candidate and millions of dollars. She coasted in 2008 mind you. She hasn't had a serious challenge ever going back to her first election in 1996. X Factor is rank choice voting.

HOW IS HE INTELLIGENT

"Strong" is the worst thing there.

American masculinity is in a profound crisis if Trump constant whining and claims of victimhood and bullying is considered "strength."

Trump is one of the least secure people in the world, this is the opposite of strength.

American masculinity is diseased right now.

sphagnum

Banned

American masculinity is in a profound crisis if Trump constant whining and claims of victimhood and bullying is considered "strength."

Trump is one of the least secure people in the world, this is the opposite of strength.

Strong because yell at weak

sangreal

just be glad they didnt ask if he was alpha

Sarah Palin would have won the 2012 Republican nomination if she was a man.

Woman can't skate by while being stupid, but voters convince themselves that stupid men are actually smart.

Pixieking

Banned
Sarah Palin would have won the 2012 Republican nomination if she was a man.

Woman can't skate by while being stupid, but voters convince themselves that stupid men are actually smart.

Probably less "convince" and more just unthinking acceptance of systemic/sociallly-acceptable sexism.

Makes me bloody despair. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom