• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Trump publicly called Comey a "showboat" and "grand-stander" in the NBC interview. This'll surely go down well with the people at the FBI.

boldstrategycotton.gif

numble

My understanding was that the reconciliation process is codified in law, from the Congressional Budget Act of 1974
The Byrd Rule is still just a rule and requires a Senator to object to a provision as being extraneous, where the Parliamentarian decides on the objection, and the Vice President can overrule the Parliamentarian. The courts cannot rule on it if they follow the procedures as written to overrule the Parliamentarian.

Kevinroc

The Byrd Rule is still just a rule and requires a Senator to object to a provision as being extraneous, where the Parliamentarian decides on the objection, and the Vice President can overrule the Parliamentarian. The courts cannot rule on it if they follow the procedures as written to overrule the Parliamentarian.

At this point do we not think Pence will overrule the Parliamentarian on just about everything they may object to?

Wilsongt

I'd go further and agree with what someone else said earlier. Anyone in the tri-state area is bound to have some connection to Wall St, just by proximity. Are they bad Democrats?

A Democrat from California supposed being lumped in with the "justicr Democrats"

And the super left is saying "nope wall street donations lol"

At this point do we not think Pence will overrule the Parliamentarian on just about everything they may object to?

I don't think so.

I think the CBO report comes out, costs explode, 30 million without insurance, and they put it on "hold" to "retool" it and we never hear from it again.

The GOP is basically at the breaking point for bad PR at this point. The party can't really take much more. This isn't a hill they want to die on.

DonShula

Trump publicly called Comey a "showboat" and "grand-stander" in the NBC interview. This'll surely go down well with the people at the FBI.

boldstrategycotton.gif

I start to wonder if this guy has any self awareness and then I remember that he intentionally does that to his hair.

studyguy

Eh?

https://twitter.com/MatthewNussbaum/status/862712491670982660
Matthew Nussbaum (@MatthewNussbaum)
!!!!!!!! "I was gonna fire regardless of recommendation," Trump tells Lester Holt. "Regardless of recommendation I was going to fire Comey."

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/862712765324120064
Bradd Jaffy (@BraddJaffy)
NBC NEWS: Trump says he asked Comey if he was under investigation and Comey said no; “I actually asked him, yes.

https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/862714537732165633
Dan Merica (@danmericaCNN)
Trump also said Comey "wanted to have dinner because he wanted to stay on." That doesn't make sense given the FBI director's 10-year term.

Is the focus on Rosenstein because everyone already knew that Jeff Sessions is corrupt anyway or is it due to something else?

The focus is on him because he was the "objective" counterpoint to Sessions' obvious Trump ties and recusal from the Russia investigation. He revealed himself to be a tool, in the most literal sense - someone with knowledge of law and how to argue it, willing to use it for whatever his boss wants him to as long as he is not blamed for it.

pigeon

Banned
A Democrat from California supposed being lumped in with the "justicr Democrats"

I mean, this seems fine to me. If the "far left" abandon the Justice Democrats then they (Justice Dems) have no platform left.

numble

I don't think so.

I think the CBO report comes out, costs explode, 30 million without insurance, and they put it on "hold" to "retool" it and we never hear from it again.

The GOP is basically at the breaking point for bad PR at this point. The party can't really take much more. This isn't a hill they want to die on.
Trump wants the bill passed but his VP will not push it through if provisions are challenged during the reconciliation vote as incompatible with reconciliation? That's wishful thinking.

sphagnum

Banned
I'd go further and agree with what someone else said earlier. Anyone in the tri-state area is bound to have some connection to Wall St, just by proximity. Are they bad Democrats?

No, they'd be perfectly normal Democrats. Deserving of higher scrutiny on the economic front if they label themselves progressives though.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Holy shit at that clip....

He's lying through his teeth and he's on admitting to all sorts of shit that will get him into real trouble.

He's insane

Kevinroc

I don't think so.

At this point, I can't see this happening. They are determined to destroy Obama's legacy. They are determined to cut taxes for the super rich. If they take the bill away, I can easily see them doing what the House did and quietly "retool" it and then pass it before a CBO score.

The old rules of politics are dead. Any sense these guys had for self-preservation seems to have vanished.

Kusagari

Trump's lies aren't helped by the fact he has no idea what he's talking about most of the time.

Makes it far easier for him to put his foot in his mouth than an average politician.

JP_

Banned
Is the focus on Rosenstein because everyone already knew that Jeff Sessions is corrupt anyway or is it due to something else?

His letter was the longest and most detailed and was the only one that offered real justification for firing Comey

Ecotic

I just assumed, if Trump's account was accurate, that Comey requested the dinner to ask to stay on because he already thought he was going to be fired.

Trump is probably pathologically lying though, or misinterpreting everything. He doesn't understand Washington speak.

studyguy

It's a single freshman democrat out of Silicon Valley district, Ro Khanna.
I mean if you're expecting waves then this isn't it. Guy just came in 2016.

Not gonna stress it for my state.

Ogodei

I don't think so.

It's really the rubber-to-the-road moment on whether the GOP actually has any ideology or is merely interested in holding onto power by any means. If somebody really is willing to fall on their sword for AHCA, it's because they at least believe that they're doing something good (even if they're wrong about that), like the Democrats like Perriello in weak districts who voted for ACA anyway, and lost their jobs subsequently. Periello's sacrifice was not in vain, but it was a sacrifice for something he believed in.

Xando

No and we shouldn't assume its about the russia investigation.

Could be normal campaign finance investigation to a local race or whatever

Yep. At the moment, we don't know which firm it is they're looking at. We'll need to know that first before anything.

Source for those tweets is the investigative reporter for WBAL in Baltimore, BTW. Keep an eye on WaPo, Baltimore Sun, Annapolis Capitol Gazette as well for possible info on this.

JP_

Banned
Fuck Rosenstein.

I almost think Rosenstein wrote a justification that he assumed Trump couldn't get behind (because it contradicted everything he's said) and was surprised that Trump ran with it anyway

That's the optimistic take, anyway. Either way it was a mistake.

chadskin

From yesterday: https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-the-fbi-reels-candidates-emerge-to-succeed-james-comey-1494459279

C_kAfavXsAE-u6u.jpg

I dunno guys, this seems illegal.
Trump is so addicted to his faux masculine chest-thumping bullshit that he can't stop himself.

In private convo everyone tells him how great he is and how nothing is ever his fault. Including the FBI director investigating him.

Trump is going to fire Spicer just to try and change the media narrative.
He made a list of people he could fire who everyone hates starting with Comey. Spicey was next down the list.

This is giving Trump way too much credit but maybe this happened:

Trump: Can you tell me if I'm under investigation?
Comey: No.
Trump: Tremendous.
Comey: Huh?
Trump: Sorry, gotta jet, Mar-a-Lago awaits. See ya Jim.

Zolo

This is giving Trump way too much credit but maybe this happened:

Trump: Can you tell me if I'm under investigation?
Comey: No.
Trump: Tremendous.
Comey: Huh?
Trump: Sorry, gotta jet, Mar-a-Lago awaits. See ya Jim.

Didn't Trump talk about that one senator who he said told him he'd be the greatest president, and the senator clarified he could be remembered as one if he took certain actions? Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom