• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

How the fuck do they think they can get more than a third of that past reconciliation?

Edit: Yeah, Cruz's theory of "fuck the parliamentarian," but that's just nuking the filibuster by another name.

It's kind of a selective nuking. If Dems were to retake the Senate while Pence (or another Republican) was still VP, then Pence could keep them from overruling the parliamentarian so that any attempts at passing similar legislation on a majority vote would force them to nuke the actual filibuster.

It's kind of a selective nuking. If Dems were to retake the Senate while Pence (or another Republican) was still VP, then Pence could keep them from overruling the parliamentarian so that any attempts at passing similar legislation on a majority vote would force them to nuke the actual filibuster.

It's a slippery slope McConnell isn't going to want to go down.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
They were talking about a vote earlier that they'd attend but I don't know if they'd leave at the same time for that

I thought Burr was saying they (him and Warner) were leaving to attend another meeting and that later in the day there was going to be a vote

Edit: Good ole Cotton still worried about unmasking

Edit2: And I'll say this again... it fucking enrages me that the GOP feigns to worry about the privacy rights of American citizens when they're dismantling consumer privacy protections in regards to internet use. Fuck them.

Blader

It's a slippery slope McConnell isn't going to want to go down.

Eliminating the filibuster for SCOTUS appointments is a pretty slippery slope given how that will come back to bite the GOP in the ass next time there's a Dem president + Dem senate.

Getting rid of the legislative filibuster completely is not something he will do, but overruling the parliamentarian while keeping the filibuster itself intact is exactly the kind of bullshit maneuver McConnell would do. We're talking about the same guy who invoked an obscure rule to formally silence one of his colleagues on the floor! He's constantly riding along slippery slopes.

SexyFish

Banned
I thought Burr was saying they (him and Warner) were leaving to attend another meeting and that later in the day there was going to be a vote
Ah, well damn. Hoping this meeting ends up with a special prosecutor being sought​ after by Rosenstein.

Ogodei

Eliminating the filibuster for SCOTUS appointments is a pretty slippery slope given how that will come back to bite the GOP in the ass next time there's a Dem president + Dem senate.

Getting rid of the legislative filibuster completely is not something he will do, but overruling the parliamentarian while keeping the filibuster itself intact is exactly the kind of bullshit maneuver McConnell would do. We're talking about the same guy who invoked an obscure rule to formally silence one of his colleagues on the floor! He's constantly riding along slippery slopes.

It creates a future where anything remotely controversial just gets tacked onto must-pass omnibus resolutions, whether it has a thing to do with the budget or not. House GOP wants the "First Amendment Defense Act?" Then they just tack the whole damn thing on as a rider on the next budget.

C_hLUGKXUAAXF7J.jpg

Spicer's shoes.

Imma need answers bruh.

Really do love Josh Marshall's turns of phrases sometimes:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/the-wraithing-of-rod-rosenstein

We can also see the staggering fact that after no more than two weeks on the job, Rosenstein’s public reputation, which was formidable, has been destroyed. He now joins a legion of Trump Dignity Wraiths, men and women (though mainly men) of once vaunted reputations or at least public prestige who have been reduced to mere husks of their former selves after crossing the Trump Dignity Loss Event Horizon.

There’s something dark and sick at the center of the Trump World because I don’t think anyone can really deny the pattern I’m taking note of here, even though I describe it in fulsome and lavish language: everybody who gets close gets damaged, usually badly. And the heart of that darkness is Trump himself, a lumbering vortex of need and rage, a black hole.

sangreal

Cruz's position for years has been that the parliamentarian should have no say in what can be done during reconciliation and that Pence should just void whatever she says.

Which is true, the parliamentarian only gives advice to the presiding officer

but that is tantamount to nuking the filibuster and will be taken that way

Kevinroc

They're going to nuke the filibuster for a bill that currently has 21% approval.

https://twitter.com/JesseFFerguson/status/862702366256226306

BREAKING (new QU Poll)

GOP's health care repeal (AHCA)?

Approve: 21% (Strong: 9)
Disapprove: 56% (Strong: 46)

Voters believe GOP's health care repeal will RAISE costs

Costs Go Up: 42%
Go Down: 11%
Stay Same: 37%

WOW. By more than 50 points, voters reject the GOP repeal bill letting states gut protections on pre-ex.

Good Idea: 21%
Bad Idea: 75%

JP_

Banned
That periscope died right as they started talking. What're they saying?

edit: nevermind, just stopped for me. refreshing fixed

JP_

Banned
Wait are they really going to nuke the filibuster?

What are you looking at? Afaik they were just going to try and pass it under reconciliation, which needs simple majority but has limitations on what they can pass under it.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if they go beyond what's allowed under reconciliation and just hope the courts don't shut it down later.

numble

What are you looking at? Afaik they were just going to try and pass it under reconciliation, which needs simple majority but has limitations on what they can pass under it.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if they go beyond what's allowed under reconciliation and just hope the courts don't shut it down later.
The courts don't rule on Senate procedural rules.

Tamanon

Banned
This would be the absolute worst time to nuke the filibuster, with all the other stuff going around for their party.

Which means they'll probably do it.

Hindl

So apparently any Democrat that takes any money associated with Wall Street or corporations is a bad Democrat?

I'd go further and agree with what someone else said earlier. Anyone in the tri-state area is bound to have some connection to Wall St, just by proximity. Are they bad Democrats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom