• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Regardless, I'm doing what I can to support Democrats here. Helping out in my progressive caucus, boosting the signal for Dems running for state legislative positions, etc.

Were you on the French Hill phone town hall yesterday? I tried to listen for 20-25 mins but I couldn't stay in it. With some of the questions I heard and the way he spun the AHCA, you would think things were perfect in the country right now. Maybe it got better and questions more forceful but I didn't stay to find....the more challenging questions could've been filtered out too.

Were you on the French Hill phone town hall yesterday? I tried to listen for 20-25 mins but I couldn't stay in it. With some of the questions I heard and the way he spun the AHCA, you would think things were perfect in the country right now. Maybe it got better and questions more forceful but I didn't stay to find....the more challenging questions could've been filtered out too.
Is French Hill AR-2? His district has been fairly competitive in the past.

In a wave election I think AR-2 and AR-4 would have a chance of going to the Democrats. The state as a whole is probably too far gone though to elect a Democrat to the Senate or governor.

FyreWulff

PS

'Leaked' tax return is 2005, with the losses write off.

Lawyer is priming the public for last 10, which they'll want to be 2017-2007, even though he got elected and ran in 2016.

2006 is likely the key year here..

Barzul

From the AP:

BREAKING: Trump lawyer: Tax returns from past 10 years show no "income of any type from Russian sources," with few exceptions.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/863032385029451777

I don't get it, are we supposed to just take his word?

Is French Hill AR-2? His district has been fairly competitive in the past.

In a wave election I think AR-2 and AR-4 would have a chance of going to the Democrats. The state as a whole is probably too far gone though to elect a Democrat to the Senate or governor.

AR-2 could definitely flip in a wave. It has Little Rock and Conway which are probably the most liberal parts of AR besides the Northwest.

Why is this the case?

One would think California, New York and Massachusetts were all way too blue to ever have GOP governors, and yet all three have had Republican governors within the last 20 years.
I mean, we should certainly try, yeah. Never know what could happen in a wave year.

It seems to me though in general polarization has become much stronger in Democratic states than in Republican ones. West Virginia did just elect a Democrat though, so what do I know.

I just wouldn't expect the kind of Democrat who could still win in Arkansas to be a particularly good one.

Ryuuroden

I mean, we should certainly try, yeah. Never know what could happen in a wave year.

It seems to me though in general polarization has become much stronger in Democratic states than in Republican ones. West Virginia did just elect a Democrat though, so what do I know.

I just wouldn't expect the kind of Democrat who could still win in Arkansas to be a particularly good one.

Better than the best Republican one would likely see though?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Stop thinking like this.

We want a Democratic majority in 2018. A Democratic majority changes the entire fucking game and suddenly Democrats run all the committees and get to actually hold Trump accountable for everything he does.

You want that? Every single person with a D next to their name counts. Get what you can, where you can.

Better than the best Republican one would likely see though?

Stop thinking like this.

We want a Democratic majority in 2018. A Democratic majority changes the entire fucking game and suddenly Democrats run all the committees and get to actually hold Trump accountable for everything he does.

You want that? Every single person with a D next to their name counts. Get what you can, where you can.
Hey man, I don't disagree with either of these takes.

Just that we complain about Manchin types plenty in this thread and that's exactly who would win in Arkansas. Maybe less so in the congressional districts though (where it really matters).

I would love if we still had Mark Pryor and Blanche Lincoln to be thorns in our sides on a few issues if it meant we had the Senate.

Thaedolus

Every fucking sentence out of this lunatic has some sort of hedge. Somebody please invoke the 25th amendment for the love of God.

Why is this the case?

One would think California, New York and Massachusetts were all way too blue to ever have GOP governors, and yet all three have had Republican governors within the last 20 years.

Conservatives think being liberal is unAmerican and that the Democratic Party is illegitimate, liberals don't think this about non-racist conservatives.

That said, it's still possible with fuckups from the Republicans. LA has a Dem governor now, and we've got a decent candidate I think here in MS for governor. He'll be starting with a floor of like 35-40% so that helps a lot.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Just that we complain about Manchin types plenty in this thread and that's exactly who would win in Arkansas. Maybe less so in the congressional districts though (where it really matters).

I would love if we still had Mark Pryor and Blanche Lincoln to be thorns in our sides on a few issues if it meant we had the Senate.

People do, yeah, unfortunately.

Personally I've been arguing against that every time it comes up. There's simply no logical argument for ditching people like Manchin at a historic time like this. People are delusional if they think we can run a Warren in these places and do anything other than fail miserably.

kirblar

People complain. Not "We." And they are wrong.

mackaveli

What a weird statement

"no income of any type, except for a few" is basically confirming there IS income from Russian...

I think the few exceptions are 2013 Miss Universe held in Russia he was paid, and he sold a building to a Russia individual or company for 95 million in 2008. This was reported on CNBC.

They also mention that there is no debt owing to Russia but I don't know why that would be on his individual tax return.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I think the few exceptions are 2013 Miss Universe held in Russia he was paid, and he sold a building to a Russia individual or company for 95 million in 2008. This was reported on CNBC.

They also mention that there is no debt owing to Russia but I don't know why that would be on his individual tax return.

Because they wouldn't. :/

gaugebozo

"from who?"

"most of them. All of them?"
This presidency is truly remarkable not just for what's currently happening, but for the endless remains of bullshit scattered throughout the past. This reference made me laugh, but I don't remember what it was about. There's too much. It's fucking constant with him.

There was this great bit on Colbert this week where he went back in time to when he worked on the Daily Show and they were so excited that Bush did something stupid every two months. It feels quaint.

C_oonTXXkAANiVE.jpg:large

Uh oh!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...34b6d506b37_story.html?utm_term=.fc639497dfef

In a memo circulated this week by the conservative firm WPA Intelligence, Republicans were advised that “full repeal,” the campaign promise since 2010, is neither popular nor possible. In Georgia’s solidly Republican 6th District, where Democrat Jon Ossoff is trying to win Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price’s former congressional seat, supporters of keeping the ACA outnumbered opponents by a narrow 10-to-9 margin.

Hehe

I don't think the concern was ever that Russia literally handed Trump cash as taxable income.

Like seriously, they actually think this will work? haha

Not only that, but their third exception leaves way too many vague loopholes.

Plus there are the allegations that he was involved in Russian money laundering in the 90s and 80s, which this statement does not cover.

Hindl

I don't think the concern was ever that Russia literally handed Trump cash as taxable income.

Like seriously, they actually think this will work? haha

To a lot of people that's enough. They won't understand that money from Russia isn't going to necessarily show up on his tax returns. And I'm not sure that the media is going to do a good job explaining that to people. CNN will probably just have a panel with people saying "See? There's nothing there!" and no one will challenge it eloquently

chadskin

Benjamin Wittes, a close friend of Comey, calls on Rosenstein to resign: https://www.lawfareblog.com/et-tu-rod-why-deputy-attorney-general-must-resign

The only decent course now is to name a special prosecutor and then resign.

I say this with not a trace of joy. Comey’s firing has shaken me very deeply, and no aspect of it has shaken me more than the apparent corruption of Rosenstein, on whom I was counting to be a support base for the career men and women of the Justice Department in their efforts to continue honorable service in difficult times.

To a lot of people that's enough. They won't understand that money from Russia isn't going to necessarily show up on his tax returns. And I'm not sure that the media is going to do a good job explaining that to people. CNN will probably just have a panel with people saying "See? There's nothing there!" and no one will challenge it eloquently

CNN.com doesn't even have this on there at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom