• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Why did turnout drop so sharply for everybody in '96? Just comfortable enough with Clinton + nobody giving a shit about Dole?

C_n4e5vXsAAFNMG.jpg:large

Where would Dems be if Black and Hispanic turnout rate was anywhere close to White turnout rate.

Just having Black turnout rate at 65% and Hispanic at 55% would be amazing for 2020.

One of the main goals of 2018 needs to be maximizing turnout among the Obama Coalition.

tuxfool

Banned
C_n4e5vXsAAFNMG.jpg:large

Where would Dems be if Black and Hispanic turnout rate was anywhere close to White turnout rate.

Just having Black turnout rate at 65% and Hispanic at 55% would be amazing for 2020.

This says nothing about the relative contribution of each demographic to the total vote counts.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They'll have the WH for four years even if they impeached and convicted him. Particularly if they could find something that only extended to Trump. No, they're more afraid of that destroying their base numbers and the party itself than having the WH.

Yep. They would do it based on some illicit private Russian deal that benefitted his family, or nepotism, or something like that. But not something Republican related at alrge.

sangreal

Other than being a PR nightmare, Trump is doing everything they want him to do. He is a legitimate puppet of the conservative establishment. Of course they want to stay on his good side

Why did turnout drop so sharply for everybody in '96? Just comfortable enough with Clinton + nobody giving a shit about Dole?

52% to 41% was the polling in November, according to Wikipedia.

Actual results were 49/41

Do yea, looks like everyone on both sides made the call that it wasn't worth their time.

iirc polls had Clinton winning by double digits. He didn't quite match that (9 point win), turnout probably dropped because everyone thought he was locked in.

Yup, I've been saying this. The Republican party is rotten to the core and they won't touch Trump. His floor is around 40%, 80+% among Republicans. They aren't going to turn.

Careful though, some people might accuse you of being a secret Trump supporter who just doesn't want anything to happen.

I'd be more inclined to say that his current "floor" is 35% among everyone and 75% among republicans.

However:

- What we also need to check is how many republicans switched to independent due to trump especially for areas where independents can vote in GOP primaries
- Just like how the constant attacks on Hillary managed to convince even numerous democrats to not like her, the constant attacks on Trump do in fact wear down his base, just very slowly (remember that it has only been 5 months)
- republican base don't mean shit to some of the groups that Trump has declared war on (for example, do you really think the IC gives a shit about Trump's fanbase at this point?)
- Trump is only immune from going to prison so long as he is still in office. the moment he is no longer POTUS is the moment he is vulnerable to criminal charges, and him going to jail WOULD demoralize his base
- Trump still hasn't done much to directly negatively affect his voters yet. I seriously doubt that his floor would remain at 35% if he caused an economic crash or somehow caused thousands to die.

KingK

Great thread, but I would still say Andrew Jackson telling the Supreme Court to go fuck themselves before attempting a genocide is still probably the biggest snub to checks and balances so far and the biggest case for impeachment in U.S. history.
True. Trump has been eager to let us all know how much he admires Jackson though.

KingK

I'd be more inclined to say that his current "floor" is 35% among everyone and 75% among republicans.

However:

- What we also need to check is how many republicans switched to independent due to trump especially for areas where independents can vote in GOP primaries
- Just like how the constant attacks on Hillary managed to convince even numerous democrats to not like her, the constant attacks on Trump do in fact wear down his base, just very slowly (remember that it has only been 5 months)
- republican base don't mean shit to some of the groups that Trump has declared war on (for example, do you really think the IC gives a shit about Trump's fanbase at this point?)
- Trump is only immune from going to prison so long as he is still in office. the moment he is no longer POTUS is the moment he is vulnerable to criminal charges, and him going to jail WOULD demoralize his base
- Trump still hasn't done much to directly negatively affect his voters yet. I seriously doubt that his floor would remain at 35% if he caused an economic crash or somehow caused thousands to die.
Those are all fair points, I'm just a little more pessimistic about the impact I guess in the short term.

I've said for a while though that I could see the possibility of 2020 being a great year for democrats.

True. Trump has been eager to let us all know how much he admires Jackson though.

The thing is you have to remember who (in the US) are on each side:

Trump's side has:

- Trump
- His Hardcore Fanbase of mostly rural voters (who are kinda dying off)
- His not-so-hardcore fanbase that KNOW he is dumb but are too partisan to admit it
- Most Republican Politicians
- Congress
- Senate (barely)
- Fox News
- Breitbart
- NY Criminal Field Office of the FBI

Meanwhile our side has:

- Pretty much every democrat
- independents
- Intelligence Community
- The rest of the FBI
- Now Comey's friends
- The free press
- Courts (SCOTUS has ruled against far-right anti-immigrant bullshit before)
- old-school conservatives and Neo-conservatives
- Pretty much every Trump voter that only voted for Trump because they hate Hillary

Diablos

iirc polls had Clinton winning by double digits. He didn't quite match that (9 point win), turnout probably dropped because everyone thought he was locked in.
Dole is also like the worst nominee the GOP has had since I don't even know when

I'd say Trump is but he won, dammit... and he knew how to campaign

Not much I can do in my case, I'm represented by Kamala Harris and another Democrat rep.

Same here, Louise Slaughter, Schumer and Gillibrand. And Cuomo.

There's only so many emails I can send saying "Hey, thanks for being not evil and wanting to take healthcare away!"

It's kind of frustrating to just watch everything from the side lines and not be able to really vote to kick out any idiots.

Ogodei

Dole is also like the worst nominee the GOP has had since I don't even know when

I'd say Trump is but he won, dammit... and he knew how to campaign

Bob Dole was the John Kerry of Republicans, e.g. find a bland but imminently respectable war hero and see if you can't win off of respectability vs an incumbent seen as sleazy (Clinton) or clownish (Bush).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

There's only so many emails I can send saying "Hey, thanks for being not evil and wanting to take healthcare away!"

It's kind of frustrating to just watch everything from the side lines and not be able to really vote to kick out any idiots.

Imagine how I feel living in Delaware. Not only are my 3 elected officials Dems already I don't even get to sort-of matter in presidential election years.

Until midterms, we can only hope that Republicans get hounded by their constituents enough to put country before party.

Not much I can do in my case, I'm represented by Kamala Harris, Dianne Feinstein, and another Democrat rep.

Well, I'm in MA, so I'll be doing my part to do the impossible and somehow get Charlie Baker unseated. Gonna be hard though because Baker has so far played it VERY smart (he's basically the antiTrump).

I'll also be doing my part to make sure Warren wins reelection.

Diablos

How much did passing ACA hurt Democrats in 2010?

And this bill looks to be significantly worse.
Also, now that I have more time to post:

Your employer being able to deny you health coverage, high risk pools, less coverage under regular plans, and the numerous other things the AHCA would do is not worth political gain as in Republicans losing Congress. Also the Senate looks to be a lost cause. I'm sorry but I'd rather see this bill fall flat again.

Also, now that I have more time to post:

Your employer being able to deny you health coverage, high risk pools, less coverage under regular plans, and the numerous other things the AHCA would do is not worth political gain as in Republicans losing Congress. Also the Senate looks to be a lost cause. I'm sorry but I'd rather see this bill fall flat again.

The Senate is a lost cause for 2018 or for the AHCA?

Hindl

Yup that's my issue living in Boston

Well, I'm in MA, so I'll be doing my part to do the impossible and somehow get Charlie Baker unseated. Gonna be hard though because Baker has so far played it VERY smart (he's basically the antiTrump).

I'll also be doing my part to make sure Warren wins reelection.
Yeah I'm really struggling with that, people like Baker and he's been doing everything right. The right Dem needs to step up

Probably 2018, almost all of the seats up for election are Dem seats. There would have to be a slaughter for the Dems to take the majority

How much did passing ACA hurt Democrats in 2010?

And this bill looks to be significantly worse.

ACA only hurt democrats because most of the benefits of the bill didn't take effect until 2014.

Also, no one was calling it the ACA. Both democrats and Republicans were all calling it "Obamacare" to easily demonize it.

And finally you have to remember that a lot of those seats that Democrats lost were seats that McCain had won but the Democrat had won in the house race.

Many of those seats have become safe red just due to how much more partisan politics has become the last 8 years.

The best we can hope for in the Senate races for 2018 is:

- Dems win Texas, Arizona, and Nevada somehow

- Dems only lose Indiana, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, and West Virginia

And that's still a net gain of 2 seats for the republicans.

Now the Governor Races? Lots of opportunities for Dems to win seats, including:

- Massachusetts
- New Hampshire
- Maryland
- Vermont
- Nevada
- Texas
- Florida
- Georgia
- Michigan
- Wisconsin
- Illinois
- New Mexico
- Alaska
- Kansas

Barzul

Something I've always wondered, who actually types up Trump's tweets for him. Surely he's not shooting those off without them filtered by anyone even if it's still submitted verbatim?

Something I've always wondered, who actually types up Trump's tweets for him. Surely he's not shooting those off without them filtered by anyone even if it's still submitted verbatim?

His social media director / whatever Don Scavino probably types a lot of them. But I can't imagine he's there at all of Trump's tweeting hours either so it might be the one modern technological function Trimp has managed to internalize.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Whew, Spicey is trying to shit on Clapper's integrity and reputation now. I don't think that's a smart move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom