• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
From the trump fires comey threqd

xRsfSsF_d.jpg

The Senate is a lost cause for 2018 or for the AHCA?
Basically the best we can feasibly do in the Senate is tie it, which still gives Republicans control over the chamber thanks to Pence's tie-breaking vote. That still involves picking up NV and AZ and running the tables on every seat we already hold, including WV, MT, MO, ND and IN, the Romney Democrats.

Actually winning the Senate would be going into fanfic territory, like winning Texas or getting Collins (eww) to switch sides or something.

The beauty of AHCA (ewwwwwwwww) is if its effects are as bad as we fear (or worse!), Trump and the GOP will still be punished hard for it in 2020. I think ACA was far less damaging to Obama in 2012 because its most significant provisions still had yet to kick in, so no one was feeling the squeeze, and overall it's a pretty agreeable bill. Captain Dipshit's plan doesn't set in until 2020 when he's up for re-election, and a slew of vulnerable GOP senators are on the hook as well. 2020 we should be looking at Maine, Georgia, Colorado, North Carolina, Montana, Iowa and Alaska just for starters.

Also - if we do win the 2020 presidential election, I suspect 2022 might not be too bad in the Senate. For seats we hold, there's New Hampshire which will be competitive, Colorado and Nevada which have been trending our way, but that's about it. If we manage to build a decent buffer between now and 2020 (say like, 55 seats?) we should be fine.

Blader

Until midterms, we can only hope that Republicans get hounded by their constituents enough to put country before party.

Not much I can do in my case, I'm represented by Kamala Harris, Dianne Feinstein, and another Democrat rep.

Same here, Louise Slaughter, Schumer and Gillibrand. And Cuomo.

There's only so many emails I can send saying "Hey, thanks for being not evil and wanting to take healthcare away!"

It's kind of frustrating to just watch everything from the side lines and not be able to really vote to kick out any idiots.

Ha, yep, same thing: Elizabeth Warren, Ed Markey, and Mike Capuano. Any time I call one of their offices I always start with, "I know you guys are already doing this, but I just feel like saying anyway..."

Well, I'm in MA, so I'll be doing my part to do the impossible and somehow get Charlie Baker unseated. Gonna be hard though because Baker has so far played it VERY smart (he's basically the antiTrump).

I'll also be doing my part to make sure Warren wins reelection.

One thing I liked hearing at some of the protests earlier this year was the chants of "Where's Governor Baker! Where's Governor Baker!" We need to hammer that cowardice next year: he's not some anti-Trump champion, he's quiet far too many times.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Until midterms, we can only hope that Republicans get hounded by their constituents enough to put country before party.

Not much I can do in my case, I'm represented by Kamala Harris, Dianne Feinstein, and another Democrat rep.
Yeah all we can really do is canvas for nearby GOP districts, donate, and phone bank. I'm repped by Swalwell and I don't even bother calling since it would be just to tell him he's great lol.

Loxley

If Liberals Hate Him, Then Trump Must Be Doing Something Right

Interesting article from NYT about how Conservatism in the Trump-era seems to be less about upholding the Constitution and rule of law and more about just doing whatever pisses off liberals. As others have said here, these days it's more about scoring "wins" for them. Even if those wins don't make logical sense, who cares? It annoyed liberals and democrats so it must not be a bad thing. He's absolutely right about this being the way conservative media handles any Trump controversy - side-step the actual issue and just relish in those sweat liberal tears.

Blader

I'm so behind

Trump has tapes?

Pretty unlikely. He's saying if there were tapes it'd validate his story of his dinner with Comey. But Trump would never tape himself (and no adviser would suggest taping himself after the Access Hollywood tape) and wouldn't even have the foresight to do so anyway.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
But Trump would never tape himself
We are talking about the same person who has posed as his own publicist, records TV shows where they talk about him so he can see how he is portrayed, demands loyalty above all else, and still to this day clips news articles about himself do he can send them to the author or enemies.

Blader

We are talking about the same person who has posed as his own publicist, records TV shows where they talk about him so he can see how he is portrayed, demands loyalty above all else, and still to this day clips news articles about himself do he can send them to the author or enemies.

Because he's obsessed with what other people are saying about him. But it's not like there are hours and hours of tapes of Trump monologuing his day-to-day to go with all that.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Because he's obsessed with what other people are saying about him. But it's not like there are hours and hours of tapes of Trump monologuing his day-to-day to go with all that.
I just don't see why this would be the line of believability at this point. I'm not saying there are tapes, I would just be utterly unsurprised if it turned out there were.

kirblar

Interesting article from NYT about how Conservatism in the Trump-era seems to be less about upholding the Constitution and rule of law and more about just doing whatever pisses off liberals. As others have said here, these days it's more about scoring "wins" for them. Even if those wins don't make logical sense, who cares? It annoyed liberals and democrats so it must not be a bad thing. He's absolutely right about this being the way conservative media handles any Trump controversy - side-step the actual issue and just relish in those sweat liberal tears.
When we're telling you they're not voting on economics, for the love of god please believe us instead of projecting your rationalizations.
Does anyone believe tapes exist?
Trump's done it before.

Sibylus

Banned
People asking if there are tapes or not are sidestepping the obvious―Trump trapped himself and no excuse or tape can hope to make him look good here.

jtb

Banned

This is basically Hugh "I'm such an ~serious~ conservative intellectual" Hewitt's whole schtick.

Also, why is it that every time that someone mentions Susan Collins, they feel obliged to preface it with "the only moderate in the Senate!" Good lord.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Spicer asked why we aren't talking about jobs. I wonder if it's possible to estimate the lost productivity of everyone F5ing the news for the latest insanity from trump.

Probably 2018, almost all of the seats up for election are Dem seats. There would have to be a slaughter for the Dems to take the majority

The best we can hope for in the Senate races for 2018 is:

- Dems win Texas, Arizona, and Nevada somehow

- Dems only lose Indiana, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, and West Virginia

And that's still a net gain of 2 seats for the republicans.

Now the Governor Races? Lots of opportunities for Dems to win seats, including:

- Massachusetts
- New Hampshire
- Maryland
- Vermont
- Nevada
- Texas
- Florida
- Georgia
- Michigan
- Wisconsin
- Illinois
- New Mexico
- Alaska
- Kansas

2018. You'd need a crazy crazy crazy wave to both defend every seat AND take the GOP ones. Standing pat is a win because of how lopsided the map is.

Senate is a lost cause in general because of the seats that are up. AHCA or not.

Feels a bit early to consider 2018 an automatic loss with the way Dems have been turning out more in the special elections in red states so far already imo, that along with the trends of voters going against the one in power.

That being said, do we need to explicitly count on the Senate for any possible action against Trump for all the Russia crap? What other cases would we have to win?

I'm not really sure the scenario where we pick up Cruz's seat is compatible with also losing all of those seats.

Cruz's seat already requires a near landslide to win. He's totally vulnerable, but the situation where we win his seat is a +10/+15 Dem wave. Which wouldn't really mean we'd lose a half dozen senate seats. That would be pretty odd.

jtb

Banned
Indiana, Montana, North Dakota, Ohio, and West Virginia?
Why do you just think on face that Dems will lose all of those seats? We have no retirements. I give Dem incumbents a very strong chance of surviving; if 2018 is a wave election, it's very feasible that Dems defend every seat up for re-election -- as wide as the map may be.

It's much more difficult to win against Flake than it is to, say, defend Manchin's seat I think.

It's just too bad we can't make a run at a state like Tennessee while we're at it.

Also, with Trump being such an enormous political liability - isn't it possible we see the likes of Susan Collins and others start eyeing Governorships to avoid the stain of being tied to this fallout?

This is basically Hugh "I'm such an ~serious~ conservative intellectual" Hewitt's whole schtick.

Also, why is it that every time that someone mentions Susan Collins, they feel obliged to preface it with "the only moderate in the Senate!" Good lord.

That's Media's Moderate Darling Susan Collins to you, chump.

I liken it to their "See! I have a black friend!" game they play with Michael Steele, Ben Carson, Tim Scott: they put her in the window so they can say, "Look, we have a moderate! Why do those liberals say that Republicans are racist/sexist/insert hatred here?"

I'm not really sure the scenario where we pick up Cruz's seat is compatible with also losing all of those seats.

Cruz's seat already requires a near landslide to win. He's totally vulnerable, but the situation where we win his seat is already like a +10/+15 Dem wave.

Yeah, no way that we lose red state seats while winning Texas. If we're winning Texas, we're probably keeping everything we already have plus winning Nevada and Arizona.

Chances of that are small, but Republicans won Senate seats in 2010 in states that Obama won by more than what Hillary lost Texas by. Not sure anyone expected them to have both Massachusetts and Illinois after 2010.

pigeon

Banned
Same here, Louise Slaughter, Schumer and Gillibrand. And Cuomo.

There's only so many emails I can send saying "Hey, thanks for being not evil and wanting to take healthcare away!"

It's kind of frustrating to just watch everything from the side lines and not be able to really vote to kick out any idiots.

Call your Senators and tell them to OBJECT TO UNANIMOUS CONSENT REQUESTS.

The Democrats did this for exactly one day and then caved.

It literally only takes one senator to do this.

Every day they don't do this they're allowing the Republicans to advance their agenda of destroying Medicare and Medicaid and cementing a conservative judiciary, while condoning Trump's Nixonian antics.

That being said, do we need to explicitly count on the Senate for any possible action against Trump for all the Russia crap? What other cases would we have to win?

If you're talking impeachment (which is essentially the only recourse if he's done something illegal) then the House brings the impeachment charges but the Senate is the "jury."

We could try to charge him without impeachment (not even explicitly possible I think), and maybe if it was something super treasonous we'd get the FBI to do that. But it would have to be hardcore obvious.

Feels a bit early to consider 2018 an automatic loss with the way Dems have been turning out more in the special elections in red states so far already imo, that along with the trends of voters going against the one in power.

If we won the House, that would be just as good - maybe even better as the House initiates impeachment proceedings should some damning evidence against Trump come to light.

The entire House is up for election every two years, whereas the Senate runs on staggered, six-year terms. Next year, 33 Senators will be up for re-election. We only need three seats to flip the chamber, but the problem is we did so well in 2012 that we're nearly maxed out in this class. Democrats have 25 Senators up for re-election whereas Republicans only have 8. Arizona and Nevada (GOP-held) were both very close in 2012 and are easily our best pickup opportunities, but finding that third seat is extremely difficult. Even with the encouraging trends we've seen in special elections, you're talking seats that would take an unprecedented blue wave to flip. There's also several Democrats up in states that Trump won, sometimes easily. Joe Manchin from West Virginia for example is running in a state that went for Trump by over 40 points.

After Nevada and Arizona, there's Texas (R+8), Mississippi (R+9), Nebraska (R+14), Tennessee (R+14), Utah (R+20) and Wyoming (R+25). I'd say those first four could be competitive in theory based on past election results, but Nebraska and Tennessee have trended away from us hard, Mississippi has a very low ceiling for Democrats (high African-American population, but racist as hell white population), leaving you with Texas which has always been sort of a white whale for Democrats looking at demographic trends. It's purpling plus Cruz's natural sliminess would be the perfect combination to let us win it, but I'm not convinced yet.

Just forewarned, I'm usually one of the more optimistic posters here, so take any analysis I post with a grain of salt.

This Nan Whaley announcement vid (Dayton mayor, running for Ohio gov) is pretty god:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbU1akcXJC4&feature=youtu.be
Glad we got a good candidate here. Even if Ohio turns out to be a lost cause, not trying at all is significantly worse. Just look at 2014, Kasich went from winning by a little over 77,000 votes in 2010 to almost a million, but he only received 55,000 more votes than in 2010. The rest came from the Democrat being a complete joke, which had grave effects downticket.

Allard

There are only 9 Republican senators up for reelection in 2018, only two are potentially vulnerable while the rest have had 27%+ margins of victory for several years. You are not going to see Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee get flipped even in a wave year unless dramatic shift in politics happen. There is a chance, very slim I might add given the history, that considering how unpopular Cruz is and how barely managed to win his primary and the changes in demographics that he could 'maybe' lose to a decent challenger, but even that in a huge wave year sounds almost impossible, its more likely I think he gets primaried. Heller in Nevada and Flake in Arizona are definitely vulnerable. West Virginia senator Manchin would be a flat out miracle for him to retain his seat given the politicial shift in that state, it was a miracle he won it in the first place when he did. Indiana is another that has had a major shift in politics but I suppose its possible he might manage to survive if the climate stays right. Montana and North Dakota Dem senators are vulnerable, Wisconsin senator is vulnerable. The absolute best case scenario I see is a Dem tie in the senate by retaining all but Manchin, and getting rid of Heller, Flake and Cruz, and somehow someone like Collins switches parties while simultaneously declaring she would retire from the senate instead of seeking reelection. Make no mistake we do need to contest and retain every seat and try to gain every seat we can as they are 6 year stations, but its honestly not reasonable to believe we can take the senate, if we did it would be nothing short of a miracle. The house, gubernatorial elections, and state legislature should be consideried a priority given census and redistricting changes after the 2020 election.

As for your other question even if the dems had the senate they would still need republican senators to help them impeach Trump, that is the only way to stop anything he is doing in meddling with the the justice department and the investigations short of him getting kicked out in 2020. You need 2/3rd majority in the senate to convict someone in an impeachment trial which ultimately leads to his removal. If the GoP won't do it themselves when they actually have the power to replace, the sure as hell won't do it when the dems are in power to replace him with a dem president. This is why we should be putting on tremendous pressure on them now, we need to force the GoP to act or we won't see him get tossed till he is voting out in the 2020 elections.

jtb

Banned
I actually think Manchin is a pretty strong incumbent. WV is a state with deep union ties and is hugely reliant on Medicaid. The state's rightward shift in national politics hasn't been reflected (yet) in state elections, in the way that we've seen the Democratic party machine decimated in machine states like Arkansas. If ever there was a year Manchin could hold on for re-election, it's 2018.

I think Heitkamp and Donnelly are more vulnerable than Manchin is.

I actually think Manchin is a pretty strong incumbent. WV is a state with deep union ties and is hugely reliant on Medicaid. The state's rightward shift in national politics hasn't been reflected (yet) in state elections, in the way that we've seen the Democratic party machine decimated in machine states like Arkansas. If ever there was a year Manchin could hold on for re-election, it's 2018.

I think Heitkamp and Donnelly are more vulnerable than Manchin is.

Donnelly especially. McCaskill too, I think.

Kander's strong performance in 2016 makes me think that McCaskill can probably hold on with a D wave + incumbency advantage. Will definitely be an uphill battle, though.

I think she'll be fine, but she's an incredibly divisive figure in the state. And she's no Jason Kander.

Probably depends more on who will run against her.

Grym

lol

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trumps-tax-law-firm-deep-ties-russia/story?id=47376041

The lawyers who wrote a letter saying President Trump had no significant business ties to Russia work for a law firm that has extensive ties to Russia and received a ”Russia Law Firm of the Year" award in 2016.

Sheri Dillon and William Nelson, tax partners at the law firm Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, which has served as tax counsel to Trump and the Trump Organization since 2005, wrote a letter in March released by the White House on Friday stating that a review of the last 10 years of Trump's tax returns ”do not reflect" ties to Russia ”with a few exceptions."

In 2016, however, Chambers & Partners, a London-based legal research publication, named the firm ”Russia Law Firm of the Year" at its annual awards dinner. The firm celebrated the ”prestigious honor" in a press release on its website, noting that the award is ”the latest honor for the high-profile work performed by the lawyers in Morgan Lewis' Moscow office."

According to the firm's website, its Moscow office includes more than 40 lawyers and staff who are ”well known in the Russian market, and have a deep familiarity with the local legislation, practices, and key players." The firm boasts of being ”particularly adept" at advising clients on ”sanction matters."

Following the release of the letter, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn) noted the firm's connection to Russia, calling it ”unreal."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom