• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

wutwutwut

While Trump is a moron, McMaster is pretty smart, right? Could he have worded his statement deliberately to confirm WaPo's reporting?

He said the story is false "as reported". That could mean WaPo got a minor detail wrong.

I hope it happens under this fucking con man's term, assuming he gets four years. All of those dweebs thinking Trump alone fixed the economy seeing that same ideal turn into ash.

We needed UBI when it was proposed under Nixon. Now it's just getting toxic to lack it.

Don't think for one fucking second Ford is alone in what they're doing, or even if it's just happening in their own industry. It's a looming global trend.

The dominos are already falling, albeit slowly. But they will fall in exponentials, given enough time.

Remember Barack Obama's words: his successor would be the first President in world history handling an AI/automation revolution.

We have the most ill-equipped person and cabinet on Earth to deal with this...
To be completely cynical, I'm glad this is happening under any Republican president, but especially Trump.

Imagine Clinton being in office right now and any major job loss being attributed to her. Republicans control Congress so there would be no incentive to cooperate there, and Democrats take a hit for presiding over another bad recession.

Instead it's Trump who creates the very real possibility that Democrats sweep the midterm elections and the next presidential, giving us a fresh start in 2021.

In all seriousness, for the protection of sources' lives and our national security in general, can they stop giving Trump classified briefings? He does nothing with that information other than give it to Russians.

Fareed Zakaria saying that he hopes Trump is just horribly incompetent because the alternative is too dark. Yikes. Hah, and Don Lemon throwing up the djkahleidyouplayedyourself.gif observation.

Edit: I actually like this argument. The President can be 1) Hilariously incompetent to the point of causing massive damage to national (and global) security, 2) a Russian agent, or 3) both. There's no avoiding having to select one of these options.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
In all seriousness, for the protection of sources' lives and our national security in general, can they stop giving Trump classified briefings? He does nothing with that information other than give it to Russians.

Even Paul Ryan agrees with you.

Oh wait, Trump is a Republican.

Foffy

Banned
To be completely cynical, I'm glad this is happening under any Republican president, but especially Trump.

Imagine Clinton being in office right now and any major job loss being attributed to her. Republicans control Congress so there would be no incentive to cooperate there, and Democrats take a hit for presiding over another bad recession.

Instead it's Trump who creates the very real possibility that Democrats sweep the midterm elections and the next presidential, giving us a fresh start in 2021.

Indeed. If Clinton won -- I am assuming the GOP would still have major power -- this transformation would be blamed on her and the failure of "Obama's legacy." Of course, this boiling point has been decades in the making, long before Hillary Clinton was First Lady.

My fear going forward is that the GOP, being the existential threat they are to the average American, will be the obstacle to getting ahead of the labor displacement issue. They already see health care as a commodity, I can imagine they will use socioeconomic Darwinism as justification to the suffering of masses, as that's the only thing linked to "evolution" they'd ever touch.

The GOP is really a party ill equipped for a vision of the 21st century, and we need not look further than Trump, whose job promises asserted a world of twenty years ago. And these idiots believe this is possible..

Ogodei

Aye, depends on where the cuts are. Could be just lopping off a division in Eastern Europe or something and there's the 20,000 jobs right there.

Considering that it's 10% of their *global* workforce, I don't think it's going to translate into a statistically sizable amount of jobs in the US. Although if most of their US workforce is stationed in, say, Michigan, it might have an outsized effect in one state.

Yeah I'm just kinda spitballing really. I know it's not a 1-1 thing but kind of a useful metric for me as we speed into the brick wall that is automation.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Considering that it's 10% of their *global* workforce, I don't think it's going to translate into a statistically sizable amount of jobs in the US. Although if most of their US workforce is stationed in, say, Michigan, it might have an outsized effect in one state.

I actually think it will hit hard in the states. I used to work for them and left in 2006 with a buyout to finish my education. My mom and dad are still there but they have 30 years in. It costs 4 an hour for people to make a Fusion in Mexico while it costs 85 an hour here in the states (wages, 100% paid insurance, fringe benefits) not to mention the sunk cost of retirees. A large number will hit the states.

Hindl

We keep hearing about coal jobs and there's only 75,000 of them nationwide. A small number of vocal people can make a lot of noise

kirblar

We keep hearing about coal jobs and there's only 75,000 of them nationwide. A small number of vocal people can make a lot of noise
This is the thing w/ free trade/globalization. The benefits are spread across all, the losses are dense and localized.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

As if Tester, Warner, McCaskill, Donnelly, and Heitkamp, among others, would all go along anything that could honestly maybe stave off the automation recession.

Moderates are certainly an asset when you need help as an opposition, but they can weigh you down when it's time you need them to actually do something meaningful since, as Lieberman proves, their actions will be attributed to your whole party after you control everything.

This is the thing w/ free trade/globalization. The benefits are spread across all, the losses are dense and localized.

Which at least makes displacement programs extremely efficient, when Republicans aren't trying to kill their funding.

I read on twitter where someone was comparing the job losses of Coal industry with the job losses in Newspaper industry in 90's and 00's. The latter's losses were more disruptive and in higher numbers compared to Coal, but there was never any political discussion or political persuasion mainly because the losses were mostly in big liberal cities like New York, SF, Chicago, etc.

sangreal

Politico pit out an article about the regime's constant lies catching up with them

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/15/trump-russia-trust-problem-238422

Still, among reporters who cover the White House, on-the-record statements from Trump’s White House carry little weight because Trump has told hundreds of falsehoods, tracked by PolitiFact and other websites. Sometimes, in a single campaign-style rally, the president will say more than a dozen things that are not true — or lack all context. He has made unsubstantiated claims, like saying former President Barack Obama put a “tapp” on his phones at Trump Tower.

I'm happy they didn't correct "tapp"

“You need to reserve credibility for when it matters — when a call comes in late in the day and you need to be able to say to a reporter, all the jousting back and forth aside, 'I’ve never lied to you about something and this isn’t true,' said Loeser.

“If you’ve blown your credibility on crowd size or semantics, people say: What else are they going to lie about?”

I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday, talking about Sunday before last where I was thinking on "just what in the world Dolt 45 could get up to after hearing Yates testify tommorrow" having NO CLUE just what I was in for.

Yet, here we are, and it's repeating again in a different week. I wonder what the "Comey firing" of this week will be tommorrow! WOOHOOHOO!!!

Yeah, I love how she handled the majority as speaker. She got a lot of good shit passed (which then died in the Senate). But I cringe during most speaking/ interviews I see with her. And I don't think I overuse cringe.

Still I respect her actions and effectiveness.

She should get Ted Lieu to have the mic when its time to cut a promo.

kess

Got out of work an hour ago, and it really seems like this story has blown up even more than the Comey story, at least online. Yikes!

Crocodile

I read on twitter where someone was comparing the job losses of Coal industry with the job losses in Newspaper industry in 90's and 00's. The latter's losses were more disruptive and in higher numbers compared to Coal, but there was never any political discussion or political persuasion mainly because the losses were mostly in big liberal cities like New York, SF, Chicago, etc.

It's the same with the current retail crisis. Way more jobs to be lost there but most of those people will be women and PoC so of course this administration says nothing :/

PBY

Banned
Is this going to matter?

Actually asking. I know Trump is slowly losing R support... but will they all come back the next time he drops a fucking bomb?

Bronx-Man

Banned
So much winning

Capitalist greed + automation + an outright aversion to UBI = economy is gonna be fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked soon

At least the skyrocketing unemployment rates will finally cause the proletariats of America to go all french revolution on these fucks.

Tommy DJ

Resign. It's pretty fucking simple.

The problem is that he can't resign. That would be admitting that he's unfit for the job and weaker than Obama before him. His ego wouldn't be able to handle it.

Not just that, his life is forever changed because he's now a former president. He can't rewind and go back to his old life.

Allard

Technically yes, but she'd have to be confirmed by the Senate.

Don't think he can fire Pence actually, he is a separately elected position via the electoral college system, think he can only resign or be impeached just like Trump.

Edit: I see your edit after the fact

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's still crazy how much Trump can mess up with absolutely no external pressures on him at all. Makes me very worried about how he'd handle a real crisis that isn't self inflicted.

Oh well. The united states gets through 4 to 8 years without crisis all the time, right?

He needs to go. The world has figured out Trump is a pushover after Xi brain fucked him on the world stage the Russians quickly realized what a pushover Trump and how easily he could have his mind changed if they stroked his ego in person and is why they insisted on a face to face with Trump and now everyone else will follow.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/trump-foreign-leaders-negotiate/526815/

Foreign Leaders Have Realized Trump Is a Pushover
The president’s reported disclosure of classified information to Russia is only the latest example of the self-proclaimed great negotiator conceding to officials from overseas everything they want.

Russian Foreign Ministry Photo via AP
DAVID A. GRAHAM MAY 15, 2017

While Trump is a moron, McMaster is pretty smart, right? Could he have worded his statement deliberately to confirm WaPo's reporting?

He said the story is false "as reported". That could mean WaPo got a minor detail wrong.

I actually think that Mc master's team leaked this. I mean they were the main people present for the meeting with Russia.

And his denial is that sources, methods weren't discussed. So the Intel itself was specially shared.

"Now, Mr. Trump, we have heard some American media saying that you are not strong enough to allow Russia to annex Ukraine, is that accurate?"

"No, the media here is, I like to call them fake news, they're very bad. Not like your news, great news in Russia. If they think I'm too weak to let you have Ukraine, well, we'll just have to see what happens."

"Oh wow, if you made that happen, you would truly be the greatest president ever."

Headline hours later: RUSSIA ANNEXES UKRAINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom