• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest the Obama administration was exceptionally clean. Government work is dirty and tends towards corruption. They are a model for how an administration should be run, regardless of whether you agree on politics or efficacy.

Where the hell is Kushner right now? You'd think with his 94 jobs he'd be visible somehow? He and Ivanka have an extraordinary knack of avoiding bad publicity...
I would agree with you, actually, I just take Obama's cleanliness for granted.

It really is depressing. It's like those post-apocalyptic movies where the older people still remember the times before the collapse

Going from Obama to now, in less than 6 months, is damn surreal

I remember when a foreign trip was boring news that was just a blip on the radar. Now it's an emergency situation that looks like it could be a complete disaster from start to finish

DonShula

I'm curious if/when the damn will ever burst with regards to the culture within the White House staff.

Of course, we know that some of the darkest inside info from the Bush years came from the accounts of O'Neil, Clarke, McClellan, and others who after separating had no qualms about giving honest accounts. And there's really no doubt that the Trump White House is a thousand times crazier.

Haberman's reporting says that there are basically three types in the White House 1) Loyalists, 2) Opportunists, and 3) People helplessly trying to make a difference, with the third group as the largest. It's hard to imagine that we don't reach a point where members of that group give up on working the inside game, or are fired, or whatever. Given how toxic and abusive Trump clearly is as a boss, along with the already leakiness of the White House, along with his seeming determination to have more turnover....

I mean, given how much we already know about the White House, we've probably seen more than just the tip of the iceberg. But I guess my point is, there's a whole lot of iceberg left. Every administration has recriminating inside accounts, and those will be a thousand times worse here. People can only abase themselves in the name of service for so long.

I wouldn't be shocked if Spicer or someone similar just came out one day and quit in front of reporters. This has to be excrutiating for anyone who has a brain and a moral compass. I'd be fascinated by the reaction to this as well. I don't expect it to happen, but almost nothing would surprise me now.

Some of the types you mentioned really do have the ability to destroy this entire administration by simply quitting their jobs and talking to reporters. I can't imagine what it's like to be in their shoes.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
In private, three administration officials conceded that they could not publicly articulate their most compelling — and honest — defense of the president: that Mr. Trump, a hasty and indifferent reader of printed briefing materials, simply did not possess the interest or knowledge of the granular details of intelligence gathering to leak specific sources and methods of intelligence gathering that would do harm to United States allies.
This is a defense???

Wilsongt

This is a defense???

"The president is too fucking dumb to realize what he is reading, he has the attention span of a gnat, and he has diarrhea of the mouth. But remember how Clinton sent classified emails and killed Seth Rich in cold blood?"

How stupid does Netanyahu look now

bibi-meme-silver-platter.jpg

Kusagari

Where are the brilliant and moderate Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner in these stories? Aren't they the only ones he could even maybe take criticism from?

How do they somehow escape ever appearing in these negative debacles.

Lo-Volt

Where are the brilliant and moderate Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner in these stories? Aren't they the only ones he could even maybe take criticism from?

Actually, Jared is in one of these stories! Problem is, he's in the new Times tick-rock on how Trump is even calling his dauphin incompetent for his own mistakes.

Blader

Getting yelled at.

Mr. Trump’s appetite for chaos, coupled with his disregard for the self-protective conventions of the presidency, have left his staff confused and squabbling. And his own mood, according to two advisers who spoke on the condition of anonymity, has become sour and dark, turning against most of his aides — even his son-in-law, Jared Kushner — and describing them in a fury as “incompetent,” according to one of those advisers.

Leave man. Just... leave. Do everyone a favor, especially yourself and quit. For fucks sake.

His ego is too big and he has no humility. He has the emotional capacity of a child.

The only way he is out of office is if he is forced out. That is by term limits, voted out at his first term, or removed from office against his will.

kirblar

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this soon- "Trump triples demanded height of border wall after staff forgets to turn on Netflix parental controls."

His ego is too big and he has no humility. He has the emotional capacity of a child.

The only way he is out of office is if he is forced out. That is by term limits, voted out at his first term, or removed from office against his will.

I actually don't think he runs for a second term. (Hypothetical cause lol he's not making it that long)

Blader

I actually don't think he runs for a second term. (Hypothetical cause lol he's not making it that long)

He absolutely will. Campaigning is the only thing he likes about this whole thing. And there's no way he can allow Barack Obama to serve eight years and try not to serve eight years himself.

Israeli Official: Trump Sharing Intelligence With Russia Is "Worst Fears Confirmed"

Two Israeli officials tell BuzzFeed News that the intelligence shared by Trump "syncs up" with intelligence that Israel shared with its US counterparts.

SAN FRANCISCO — Two Israeli intelligence officials confirmed to BuzzFeed News Tuesday that Israel had shared specific intelligence with the US regarding ISIS plots to smuggle explosive laptops onto planes, under the unique intelligence-sharing agreement the two countries maintain.

The revelation that Trump had shared that intelligence with Russian officials was Israel's "worst fears confirmed," said one of the intelligence officers.

"We have an arrangement with America which is unique to the world of intelligence sharing. We do not have this relationship with any other country," said the officer, who spoke to BuzzFeed News on condition of anonymity as he was not granted permission to speak to the press

"There has to be trust for this sort of arrangement. I cannot speak for Israel's entire security apparatus, but I would not trust a partner who shared intelligence without coordinating it with us first," said the officer.

A second intelligence officer, who spoke to BuzzFeed News via encrypted app and also spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed that Israel had shared specific intelligence with the US regarding an active threat to US-bound planes. Speaking to BuzzFeed News via a military base in northern Israel, he said Israeli intelligence officers were "boiling mad and demanding answers" as to whether Israel's military would continue its current intelligence-sharing agreement with the US.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sheerafrenkel/israeli-official-trump-sharing-intelligence-with-russia-is

I could see Trump quitting because the job isn't fun and things aren't fair. A Dem takeover of the House might do it. Kasich staking out 2020 to primary him is a smart move, frankly. Much better odds than normal for a challenger to pull off an upset.

I could see Trump quitting because the job isn't fun and things aren't fair. A Dem takeover of the House might do it. Kasich staking out 2020 to primary him is a smart move, frankly. Much better odds than normal for a challenger to pull off an upset.

Right. If he didn't run, it would totally be a "Washington is broken beyond repair and won't let me do what needs to be done to make this country great again. Watch my TV station MAGA"

I did really like the silly rukeslawyering argument going around regarding Garland, but it's probably for the best he just turns it down.

(As his bench's chief justice he could've requested a leave of absence, granted it to himself, done whatever at the FBI, then gone back to serving on the court. No need to resign! Still not worth the chance some rules nonsense gets him kicked off though)

sangreal

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/white-house-staff.html?_r=1

In private, three administration officials conceded that they could not publicly articulate their most compelling — and honest — defense of the president: that Mr. Trump, a hasty and indifferent reader of printed briefing materials, simply did not possess the interest or knowledge of the granular details of intelligence gathering to leak specific sources and methods of intelligence gathering that would do harm to United States allies.

lmao

guess I was wrong...

The most surprising part of this story is that the President actually knew what he was talking about

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I did really like the silly rukeslawyering argument going around regarding Garland, but it's probably for the best he just turns it down.

(As his bench's chief justice he could've requested a leave of absence, granted it to himself, done whatever at the FBI, then gone back to serving on the court. No need to resign! Still not worth the chance some rules nonsense gets him kicked off though)

Garland is a by the rules expert, if it was possible to pull off and since there is historical precedent to do it, I think he would consider it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

The problem here is that you're thinking the Republicans would offer him the job if he didn't fully vacate his seat.

Slacker

Maggie Haberman‏ @maggieNYT
One other thing to bear in mind - Trump is dreading the overseas trip

We were told this by a half-dozen advisers

jtb

Banned
A more interesting counterfactual than the Bernie/Biden/Hillary rehash imo:

Would Sestak have been able to outperform McGinty by a percentage point in the general election?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
One other thing to bear in mind - Trump is dreading the overseas trip

We were told this by a half-dozen advisers

Trump's going to be in a country where he's surrounded by minorities, and doesn't have access to a supply of faithful mouthbreathers that he can do rallies with.

It's no surprise he's scared shitless.

studyguy

Gardland to the FBI was a fucking meme by the GOP to open that seat, the sooner it dies, the better. There's a reason why McConnell is openly advocating he take the seat.

Slacker

Lawrence O'Donnell's ouster all but official at this point:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/05/1...onnell-the-last-word-show-despite-top-ratings

I can confirm that MSNBC is ending the top rated ”The Last Word" with Lawrence O'Donnell, the popular show that follows Rachel Maddow at 10pm. O'Donnell's contract is up shortly, and the network has not made any overtures about keeping him on.

My NBC sources say that O'Donnell's tireless criticism of Donald Trump is the cause of the trouble. O'Donnell calls Trump a liar on TV almost ever night. Says my observer: ”Phil Griffin fought back Trump's demands to Comcast chief Steve Burke that O'Donnell get fired for years. But now he's president and now it's Andy Lack's decision and Andy has never run a single promo for O'Donnell and he wants access to Trump for Lester Holt interview and more."

Morale at NBC News has been low for some time. My source says: ”This version of NBC news would have handed the Pentagon papers back to the Pentagon. The New York Times and Washington Post remain our best hope."

I didn't like O'Donnell's show for apparently the same reasons they're letting him go. I felt like it was a little too over-the-top and too-preaching-to-the-choir, despite the fact that I agreed with everything he was saying. He had insightful though. I think a slightly toned-down show could have been great. Hopefully his replacement will be more Rachel/Chris, not Megyn/Greta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom