• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Lawrence O'Donnell's ouster all but official at this point:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/05/1...onnell-the-last-word-show-despite-top-ratings

I can confirm that MSNBC is ending the top rated “The Last Word” with Lawrence O’Donnell, the popular show that follows Rachel Maddow at 10pm. O’Donnell’s contract is up shortly, and the network has not made any overtures about keeping him on.

My NBC sources say that O’Donnell’s tireless criticism of Donald Trump is the cause of the trouble. O’Donnell calls Trump a liar on TV almost ever night. Says my observer: “Phil Griffin fought back Trump’s demands to Comcast chief Steve Burke that O’Donnell get fired for years. But now he’s president and now it’s Andy Lack’s decision and Andy has never run a single promo for O’Donnell and he wants access to Trump for Lester Holt interview and more.”

Morale at NBC News has been low for some time. My source says: “This version of NBC news would have handed the Pentagon papers back to the Pentagon. The New York Times and Washington Post remain our best hope.”

I didn't like O'Donnell's show for apparently the same reasons they're letting him go. I felt like it was a little too over-the-top and too-preaching-to-the-choir, despite the fact that I agreed with everything he was saying. Hopefully his replacement will be more Rachel/Chris, not Megyn/Greta.

I agree with you, though I would extend that criticism to Rachel too. That said, firing a journalist because the President complained is a terrible precedent

Gruco

Banned
Maggie Haberman‏ @maggieNYT
One other thing to bear in mind - Trump is dreading the overseas trip

Maggie Haberman‏ @maggieNYT
We were told this by a half-dozen advisers

Just think of all of the stairs he is going to have to use.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

http://www.showbiz411.com/2017/05/1...onnell-the-last-word-show-despite-top-ratings

I can confirm that MSNBC is ending the top rated “The Last Word” with Lawrence O’Donnell, the popular show that follows Rachel Maddow at 10pm. O’Donnell’s contract is up shortly, and the network has not made any overtures about keeping him on.

My NBC sources say that O’Donnell’s tireless criticism of Donald Trump is the cause of the trouble. O’Donnell calls Trump a liar on TV almost ever night. Says my observer: “Phil Griffin fought back Trump’s demands to Comcast chief Steve Burke that O’Donnell get fired for years. But now he’s president and now it’s Andy Lack’s decision and Andy has never run a single promo for O’Donnell and he wants access to Trump for Lester Holt interview and more.”

Morale at NBC News has been low for some time. My source says: “This version of NBC news would have handed the Pentagon papers back to the Pentagon. The New York Times and Washington Post remain our best hope.”

I didn't like O'Donnell's show for apparently the same reasons they're letting him go. I felt like it was a little too over-the-top and too-preaching-to-the-choir, despite the fact that I agreed with everything he was saying. Hopefully his replacement will be more Rachel/Chris, not Megyn/Greta.

Goddamn it. He had a good run at least (hell, longer than Olbermann!). Lawrence was great. Yeah, he was preaching to the choir, but he was lovably smug while doing it.

I wouldn't be AS bothered with this decision if it wasn't for the fact that these same assholes at MSNBC canning Lawrence also hired people like Greta and Megyn and that third former Fox News blonde that I can't remember.

Crocodile

Well apparently a LOT of people liked the show (including me) for exactly that same reason. Trump is shit and gets what he deserves. He may have liked to entertain impeachment too often but it's not like O'Donnell was ever lying. Since when do we cancel shows for being critical of people in power (assume the shows aren't lying). That seems disastrous as a principle no?

Given the ratings, it's obvious there is more money in MSNBC in becoming more liberal. This is why the liberal media is faltering in reach compared to the conservative media. The former tries to play nice when it doesn't have too while the conservative side never gives an inch.

Slacker

I agree with you, though I would extend that criticism to Rachel too. That said, firing a journalist because the President complained is a terrible precedent

I couldn't disagree more about Rachel. I don't see her being anywhere near as incendiary as O'D. Agreed about the precedent though.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The big news is the IDC is on board, which means it's almost certain to make it through the State Senate. And if it does that Cuomo is certainly craven and opportunistic enough to sign it into law.

Which is fucking awesome.

Here's hoping no one fucks this up for us.

EDIT: Also, I totally called it.

I really hope it's a well designed bill. It's failure after implementation could set things back.
It sucks a state can't implement their own Medicare buy-in.

Given the ratings, it's obvious there is more money in MSNBC in becoming more liberal. This is why the liberal media is faltering in reach compared to the conservative media. The former tries to play nice when it doesn't have too while the conservative side never gives an inch.

The concept of a liberal media outside of some podcasts and radio stations is fundamentally flawed. MSNBC is owned by GE who aren't going to risk billions in government contracts over a second tier cable station. There isn't an equivalent to Fox which is dedicated to pushing an agenda no matter what conservatives say.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
single payer aint passing till 2018 but its going to be something Cuomo might pick up if the dems use it effectively in 2018

Probably yea, unless Cuomo and the Dems can force the GOP to bring it up it won't even get a vote. The IDC getting on board is a bit of a big deal though.

Wilsongt

I can't lie, a part of me finds the idea of Trump's overseas trip to be tremendously cathartic

He's going to hate every second of it

For a man that apparently wanted to sleep in his own bed every night on the campaign trail and is never more than one golf course away from something named Trump...

Yep.

He's going to hate the Middle East.

I didn't like O'Donnell's show for apparently the same reasons they're letting him go. I felt like it was a little too over-the-top and too-preaching-to-the-choir, despite the fact that I agreed with everything he was saying. He had insightful though. I think a slightly toned-down show could have been great. Hopefully his replacement will be more Rachel/Chris, not Megyn/Greta.

This

is

insane.

MSNBC just posted their highest rated quarter EVER.

The Rachel Maddow Show is now the most watched show on cable news.

You don't have to be a TV programing genius to realize that there is a hunger for more liberal programing.

The only way they could salvage firing O'Donnell is by giving Joy Reid her own show in that slot, or re-hiring Keith Olbermann.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Single-Payer making its way through NY State Congress?

Not guaranteed to be signed into law but things seem optimistic!

The big news is the IDC is on board, which means it's almost certain to make it through the State Senate. And if it does that Cuomo is certainly craven and opportunistic enough to sign it into law.

Which is fucking awesome.

Here's hoping no one fucks this up for us.

EDIT: Also, I totally called it.

Well how about that. As someone who lives in NY I'd certainly love to see this pass. I'm taking a look through the bill itself now to try and glean what I can despite being bad at parsing the arcane language of legal bills.

AN INSURER AUTHORIZED TO PROVIDE COVERAGE PURSUANT TO THE INSURANCE
LAW OR A HEALTH MAINTENANCE ORGANIZATION CERTIFIED UNDER THIS CHAPTER
MAY, IF OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED, OFFER BENEFITS THAT DO NOT COVER ANY
SERVICE FOR WHICH COVERAGE IS OFFERED TO INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE PROGRAM,
BUT MAY NOT OFFER BENEFITS THAT COVER ANY SERVICE FOR WHICH COVERAGE IS
OFFERED TO INDIVIDUALS UNDER THE PROGRAM.

That seems pretty straightforward, though.

The concept of a liberal media outside of some podcasts and radio stations is fundamentally flawed. MSNBC is owned by GE who aren't going to risk billions in government contracts over a second tier cable station. There isn't an equivalent to Fox which is dedicated to pushing an agenda no matter what conservatives say.

Comcast fully owns NBC/MSNBC since early 2013.

Crocodile

Pushing out a host who hasn't been lying or unethical for being critical of people in power is the legit worse premise. If the president can exert implicit financial pressure to kick out people he doesn't like who haven't done anything wrong just seems ripe for abuse and a terrible slippery slope waiting to happen. All this in the face of O'Donnell;s awesome ratings!

kirblar

What's happening at MSNBC is the same thing that happened at CNN- all it takes is one dumbass getting the executive office and it all blows up.

Gruco

Banned
Tapper reporting that CNN withheld the name of the city from which intelligence was collected in a report last March, at the request of the white house, because it would "get people killed"

The was over a month before Trump had a secret meeting with Kislyak barred to US press, where he divulged these details in front of Russian state media.

Slacker

I can't lie, a part of me finds the idea of Trump's overseas trip to be tremendously cathartic

He's going to hate every second of it

I love the idea of some foreign dignitaries hosting a dinner for him then sitting some fancy dish in front of him that wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. He's a 70-year-old kid who probably orders hamburgers at McDonalds "plain" because lettuce is gross.

This

is

insane.

You don't have to be a TV programing genius to realize that there is a hunger for more liberal programing.

The only way they could salvage firing O'Donnell is by giving Joy Reid her own show in that slot, or re-hiring Keith Olbermann.

MSNBC got tired of winning

Grym

Tapper reporting that CNN withheld the name of the city from which intelligence was collected in a report last March, at the request of the white house, because it would "get people killed"

The was over a month before Trump had a secret meeting with Kislyak barred to US press, where he divulged these details in front of Russian state media.

AND the really telling thing here is that they still knows the city and are still being asked to refrain from reporting it.

Pushing out a host who hasn't been lying or unethical for being critical of people in power is the legit worse premise. If the president can exert implicit financial pressure to kick out people he doesn't like who haven't done anything wrong just seems ripe for abuse and a terrible slippery slope waiting to happen. All this in the face of O'Donnell;s awesome ratings!

I'm not saying its right, just pointing out blaming this on weakness in the liberal media is flawed because it doesn't really exist.

Comcast fully owns NBC/MSNBC since early 2013.

Fair enough but the point still stands. Comcast is willing to play ball with the government in a way Fox isn't.

Getting yelled at.

Mr. Trump’s appetite for chaos, coupled with his disregard for the self-protective conventions of the presidency, have left his staff confused and squabbling. And his own mood, according to two advisers who spoke on the condition of anonymity, has become sour and dark, turning against most of his aides — even his son-in-law, Jared Kushner — and describing them in a fury as “incompetent,” according to one of those advisers.

To be fair, he's right. They *are* incompetent.

Slacker

Burgess Everett @burgessev
New detail: President Trump called @JohnCornyn and asked him to consider FBI job

I know we all get tired of saying/hearing this. But can you even begin to fathom the reaction, had Hillary fired Comey to stop the email investigation and tried to replace him with Nancy Pelosi? It is literally unfathomable.

To me, this is Trump's Sandy Hook moment. Once the Newtown thing happened it became clear, if 20 dead children won't sway Republicans on gun control in this country, nothing will.

Now we have a president who fires the guy investigating his Russia connections, then leaks intel to the Russains. This is officially it. If the Republicans don't care about this, there's no reason to think they'll care about anything. He might as well make the Oval Office a Miss Teen USA dressing room for more convenient p-grabbing. Absolutely nothing matters at this point.

Effect

This

is

insane.

It's the only thing that doesn't result in them losing steam. They replace O'Donnell with someone like Brian Williams or that asshole Hewitt to get a conservative bent right after Maddow then that time slot is good as dead. People will watch Rachael and then turn the channel unless there is some big event. Joy or maybe Ari Melber would be good replacements.

Slacker

It's the only thing that doesn't result in them losing steam. They replace O'Donnell with someone like Brian Williams or that asshole Hewitt to get a conservative bent right after Maddow then that time slot is good as dead. People will watch Rachael and then turn the channel unless there is some big event. Joy or maybe Ari Melber would be good replacements.

Joy and Ari are both awesome and would be good there. I like Kornacki too. Hewitt would be a disaster. Olbermann would be interesting, though it'd be hard to justify replacing O'Donnell with him when he's just as much of a bomb-thrower.

If Cuomo signs single-payer that would be a huge boost to his (assumed) presidential campaign.

Medicare for All was probably Bernie's most resonant policy, it'd be an easy way to beat back allegations about being a Wall Street shill or whatever. Also he might have more street cred on gay marriage than any other straight politician.

Not that I'd be super pumped about voting for Cuomo.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
If O'Donnell's show is so highly rated, won't he likely get another spot somewhere else?

Ratings = $$$ = what these guys ultimately want.

What other network is going to give him the opportunity to share his super liberal views?

edit: wait, is it just Lawrence's show being cancelled, or is he getting the boot from MSNBC entirely?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So what you are saying is Yass Queen?

I know this is a joke, but I honestly wonder what a theoretical Hillary vs. Trump 2.0 matchup would end up like.

You nominate candidates without baggage by nominating young candidates.

You also get youth enthusiasm that way because generational gaps are real.

I think it goes both ways. Nominating young candidates is dangerous because they generally haven't had time to have dirt dug up on them yet. Thrust them into the spotlight in a national election and then everything comes out. If someone has been hiding something, it will come out. Guys like Biden have already had everything thrown at them.

I agree about the youth enthusiasm, but I wonder how big of an effect a VP can have. For instance, not that I'd want to see it any more, but a Bernie VP slot would pretty much lock up all of those Bernie-bro voters. I wonder if black turnout would have been higher had Hillary picked Booker for the VP slot instead of Kaine.

I didn't like O'Donnell's show for apparently the same reasons they're letting him go. I felt like it was a little too over-the-top and too-preaching-to-the-choir, despite the fact that I agreed with everything he was saying. He had insightful though. I think a slightly toned-down show could have been great. Hopefully his replacement will be more Rachel/Chris, not Megyn/Greta.
Letting him go would be a big mistake. MSNBC is throwing progressives under the bus and putting these hack conservatives on their air waves.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They see which way the wind is blowing. I feel like none of those who remain would get voted in by Congress.

I seriously wonder if nobody wants it because they know they'd have to be the one leading the charge against him and they know one is coming.

This

is

insane.

They gave Joy own her show and then demoted her. And what makes them think that Joy wouldn't shit on Trump just as much as Lawrence does? MSNBC is trying to turn into CNN lite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom