• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if just one state decided to restructure their own government away from the bicameral legislature and first past the post voting. At least Louisiana has some stuff kinda sounds similar to the french election?
I strongly approve of unicameral legislatures. It removes a massive set of veto points that are on balance more trouble than they are worth, and makes accountability more transparent. It's a shame we can't experiment more with our systems.

As for Louisiana, FWIW, my cousin's senior thesis was arguing that Louisiana's jungle primary system encourages extremism -- I don't know particulars, though.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Gavin Newsom from Cali:

Gavin-newsom.jpg
Oh god please no. He oozes slimeball.

Edit:
Two bullets dodged with Gowdy and Cornyn. But will still have to dodge Giuliani, Clark, Christie ...
matrix_neo_dodging_bullets.gif

Newsom would be an atrocious national candidate.

The guy is the pinnacle of a smarmy liberal from the West Coast.

Yeah, that part is huge. I think the Kander 2020 talk is ridiculous, but part of his appeal is that if you come across as understanding people and their concerns, they'll be more likely to listen to you. The person who delivers the message can be as important as the message itself.

I strongly approve of unicameral legislatures. It removes a massive set of veto points that are on balance more trouble than they are worth, and makes accountability more transparent. It's a shame we can't experiment more with our systems.

As for Louisiana, FWIW, my cousin's senior thesis was arguing that Louisiana's jungle primary system encourages extremism -- I don't know particulars, though.

Bicameral state legislatures just seem completely pointless given that they both have to reflect population equality (at best you can mess around the margins NY-style).

I haven't studied jungle primaries once, but one did famously send David Duke to the runoff for governor.

Thaedolus

Can you think of a middle eastern country the Russians are buddies with that might also be Israel's biggest enemy? Asking for a friend.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
FDR was 50
JFK was 43
Carter was 52
Clinton was 47
Obama was 47

This is how we win elections.

Nominating likeable candidates without massive baggage that you can't overcome is how you win elections. Age may be correlational but I would be very hesitant to think people are out there saying "LOL he/she is old, no way."

kirblar

Nominating likeable candidates without massive baggage that you can't overcome is how you win elections. Age may be correlational but I would be very hesitant to think people are out there saying "LOL he/she is old, no way."
You nominate candidates without baggage by nominating young candidates.

You also get youth enthusiasm that way because generational gaps are real.

Zukkoyaki

I'm starting to feel Chris Murphy as a potential presidential candidate as well. He's young enough to still be viable in a hypothetical 2024 scenario as well.

PHEW. Fully expecting David Clarke announcement any day now though.

Oh god please no. He oozes slimeball.

Edit:

Two bullets dodged with Gowdy and Cornyn. But will still have to dodge Giuliani, Clark, Christie ...
matrix_neo_dodging_bullets.gif

Christ. Trump helping Iran at the expense of Israel

no Cornyn, no Gowdy....so Clarke?! :/

Clarke has no chance in the Senate folks, same with Giuliani. Don't think Christie is getting it after bridgegate.

LOL, now other media outlets are confirming:
Bradd Jaffy‏Verified account
@BraddJaffy

NBC News confirms Israel was the key partner who provided ISIS-related intelligence shared by Trump with Russia last week, 3 sources say

Gonna be a fun trip next week!

Blader

I'm still on Team Kamala but have gotten increasingly interested in Gillibrand and Klobuchar lately.

Diamond Joe is 74 right now. It's almost unbelievable when you look at him. He'd be 78 on Inauguration Day 2021. Reagan was 77 when he left office.

It's excrutiating to think about what could have been if Biden ran last year. My dad, the indoctrinated red state Obama-hating archetype, openly admitted that he would have voted for Joe Biden had he ran. And this was months before the election.

I'm all for a young candidate and hope that a flood of candidates creates some healthy competition and a consensus winner that Dems can get behind. But Biden was a slam dunk and we missed it.

I've heard this story a few times before, and even my own dad -- who gets his news from Rush and Hannity, has hated every Democrat since Carter, owns a Don't Tread On Me t-shirt -- said that if it were down to Biden and Trump, he would've seriously considered Biden. So it's hard not to hear that and think Biden wouldn't have been able to close the deal with right or center voters.

At the same time, even assuming he made it through the primary, I have a hard time imagining all the white working-class Obama-Trump voters who have seen their livelihoods diminished over the last eight years and broke for Trump last year wanting to give the Obama administration an effective third term. If they wanted change, they wanted a shake up, they wanted someone new because they didn't feel Obama delivered for them, why would they give Obama's VP four years in the job?

I'm guessing some Senate Rs signaled to him not to take the job.

studyguy

Spicer doing off camera interviews atm:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/864544415137792000
Josh Dawsey (@jdawsey1)
Sean Spicer says people should trust administration officials to tell truth on meeting, pivots to calling people who leak info "dangerous."

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/864544455357026304
Bradd Jaffy (@BraddJaffy)
Spicer says he won't comment about NYT/NBC News reporting that Israel is the source of the intel

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/864544422276603904
Steve Herman (@W7VOA)
Leaks about the @POTUS-Lavrov meeting "are frankly dangerous...undermines our national security," says @PressSec

trmp1.gif

Leaks about the president leaking info are more dangerous than the leaks he leaked.
leaks

shem935

Banned
Agreed.

I do not feel the same way. I feel like after Trump was a complete disaster, people will want someone they know has done a great job before. They're going to want an expert with experience. By going new, you take the massive risk of untold skeletons being dug up. I don't care how old they are--get a young person in the VP role in case they need to take over. Just get in the White House.

Note: Still not a Bernie fan.

So what you are saying is Yass Queen?

chadskin

Mr. Trump's appetite for chaos, coupled with his disregard for the self-protective conventions of the presidency, have left his staff confused and squabbling. And his own mood, according to two advisers who spoke on the condition of anonymity, has become sour and dark, turning against most of his aides — even his son-in-law, Jared Kushner — and describing them in a fury as ”incompetent," according to one of those advisers.
There is a growing sense that Mr. Trump seems unwilling or unable to do the things necessary to keep himself out of trouble, and that the presidency has done little to tame a shoot-from-the-hip-into-his-own-foot style that characterized his campaign.

There is a fear among some of Mr. Trump's senior advisers about leaving him alone in meetings with foreign leaders out of concern he might speak out of turn. General McMaster, in particular, has tried to insert caveats or gentle corrections into conversations when he believes the president is straying off topic or onto boggy diplomatic ground.

This has, at times, chafed the president, according to two officials with knowledge of the situation. Mr. Trump, who still openly laments having to dismiss his first national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, has groused that General McMaster talks too much in meetings, and the president has referred to him as ”a pain," according to one of the officials.

In private, three administration officials conceded that they could not publicly articulate their most compelling — and honest — defense of the president: that Mr. Trump, a hasty and indifferent reader of printed briefing materials, simply did not possess the interest or knowledge of the granular details of intelligence gathering to leak specific sources and methods of intelligence gathering that would do harm to United States allies.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/white-house-staff.html?_r=0

Not concerning at all.

Trust is earned. They don't seem to get that, or don't care
They feel entitled to the same respect and admiration that Obama had.

Ignoring that Obama earned that respect and admiration by running a fairly clean administration and just being a decent person.

Also ignoring that a good 30% or so of the country wanted Obama dead just because of the color of his skin.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
They feel entitled to the same respect and admiration that Obama had.

Ignoring that Obama earned that respect and admiration by running a fairly clean administration and just being a decent person.

Also ignoring that a good 30% or so of the country wanted Obama dead just because of the color of his skin.

I would suggest the Obama administration was exceptionally clean. Government work is dirty and tends towards corruption. They are a model for how an administration should be run, regardless of whether you agree on politics or efficacy.

Where the hell is Kushner right now? You'd think with his 94 jobs he'd be visible somehow? He and Ivanka have an extraordinary knack of avoiding bad publicity...

Gruco

Banned
I'm curious if/when the dam will ever burst with regards to the culture within the White House staff.

Of course, we know that some of the darkest inside info from the Bush years came from the accounts of O'Neil, Clarke, McClellan, and others who after separating had no qualms about giving honest accounts. And there's really no doubt that the Trump White House is a thousand times crazier.

Haberman's reporting says that there are basically three types in the White House 1) Loyalists, 2) Opportunists, and 3) People helplessly trying to make a difference, with the third group as the largest. It's hard to imagine that we don't reach a point where members of that group give up on working the inside game, or are fired, or whatever. Given how toxic and abusive Trump clearly is as a boss, along with the already leakiness of the White House, along with his seeming determination to have more turnover....

I mean, given how much we already know about the White House, we've probably seen more than just the tip of the iceberg. But I guess my point is, there's a whole lot of iceberg left. Every administration has recriminating inside accounts, and those will be a thousand times worse here. People can only abase themselves in the name of service for so long.

Wilsongt

How stupid does Netanyahu look now

Obviously Israel just didn't care that Trump would share this with Russia. In fact, I bet they did it just to prove a point.

They probably wanted them to know in the first place, but didn't want to tell Russia themselves.

Smart thinking.

Memeimage.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom