• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruco

Banned
Now that Trump's masterful strategic planning has distracted everyone from the Russia story, I think it's fair to say we can all expect a pivot from the Trump White House.

This is the day Donald Trump became president.

Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation

WASHINGTON — President Trump asked the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, to shut down the federal investigation into Mr. Trump's former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo that Mr. Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.

”I hope you can let this go," the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

The existence of Mr. Trump's request is the clearest evidence that the president has tried to directly influence the Justice Department and F.B.I. investigation into links between Mr. Trump's associates and Russia.

Mr. Comey wrote the memo detailing his conversation with the president immediately after the meeting, which took place the day after Mr. Flynn resigned, according to two people who read the memo. The memo was part of a paper trail Mr. Comey created documenting what he perceived as the president's improper efforts to influence an ongoing investigation. An F.B.I. agent's contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations.

Mr. Comey shared the existence of the memo with senior F.B.I. officials and close associates. The New York Times has not viewed a copy of the memo, which is unclassified, but one of Mr. Comey's associates read parts of the memo to a Times reporter.

”I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go," Mr. Trump told Mr. Comey, according to the memo. ”He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go."

Mr. Trump told Mr. Comey that Mr. Flynn had done nothing wrong, according to the memo.

Mr. Comey did not say anything to Mr. Trump about curtailing the investigation, only replying: ”I agree he is a good guy."

In a statement, the White House denied the version of events in the memo.

”While the president has repeatedly expressed his view that General Flynn is a decent man who served and protected our country, the president has never asked Mr. Comey or anyone else to end any investigation, including any investigation involving General Flynn," the statement said. ”The president has the utmost respect for our law enforcement agencies, and all investigations. This is not a truthful or accurate portrayal of the conversation between the president and Mr. Comey."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amazing. Obstruction of justice. They've had it since February.

Please proceed, GOP. You're making 2018 look amazing. The ads they can make. If they have solid marketing this time around, I really think we see a democratic House.

So thats two different investigations into his administration that he's admitted to obstructing.

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Senator Risch on @CNN right now. The person who leaked Trump's blabbing of classified information to the Russians is a "traitor."

I really, really fucking hate these people.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This Comey face turn is amazing.

I really, really fucking hate these people.

I need a polling outfit to run a "Which is worse: Leaking classified information to foreign entities or leaking to the press?" poll.

Zolo

I mean I just don't know if anything matters. GOP isn't going to stop supporting Trump.

This should have been clear now (short of him becoming a democrat or live footage of him talking about how he doesn't care about America going to shit to fill his pockets). They're not going to do something that will utterly ruin their party. Even most people advocating impeachment talk about the benefits of having Pence would be him being a lame duck then.

There's also the fact that helping impeach Trump would get the majority of them kicked out in their districts since they'd be accused of helping Democrats since it's unsure if even Republicans could control that narrative. Meanwhile, Fox News will help spin anything about Trump to not look so bad.

Plinko

Fucking hell!

That is beyond Comey. What I mean is that while Trump was within his rights as president for fire Comey for any reason he wants, but asking him to "let this go" is way beyond the pale.

Fucking Congress - what will it take for you to impeach this dangerous motherfucker!

According to the latest report, fail to repeal ACA and fail on tax reform. That's the only way they'll do it.

If I'm not mistaken, though, people who run obstruction of justice can be indicted. They wouldn't need Congress for that.

Plinko

Donald Trump said:
“I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn go.”

This is enough to take him down with obstruction of justice charges, and the IC can bring those forward without Congress if I'm not mistaken.

Gruco

Banned
Round up of responses from congressional republicans:

Marco Rubio: "It is what it is"

Mike Lee: "Perhaps Elena Kagan would be willing to investigate"

Paul Ryan: "but...but...we'll still be able to get rid of the estate tax, right?"

Mitch McConnell: "Oh for fuck's....the real issue here is Obamacare"

John McCain: *frowns aggressively*

Sue Collins: "The president does have the power to ask the FBI director to terminate an investigation. He does have that power"

Jason Chaffetz: "I will not rest until we bring Hillary Clinton to justice in this matter"

It's fucking TUESDAY.

Comey is Elliot Ness and Trump is Al Capone.

They send one of yours to the hospital, you send one of theirs to the morgue. That's the Chicago way.

Comey is doing it with fucking breadcrumbs.

Xando

So we're going to have at least one major revelation every day from now on?

It really makes me wonder what living through Watergate was like.
Comey firing and Trump revealing stuff to Russia seems to have pushed the IC over the edge.
They're gonna leak until Trump is done

Plinko

When democrats get back in power (and, at this rate, they will soon) they need to go all out. Pass everything they want however they can. Republicans had power and used it to not only give all favor to the rich but also ignored blatant crimes by the president. Democrats need to throw all semblance of mutual respect for republicans out the window.

Gruco

Banned
I really have to wonder if the GOP fully understands the situation or what their thinking is. Just hold the line, pack the court while we can, and suffer what's coming eventually? Surely they can't be expecting all of this to be a passing storm at this point.

When democrats get back in power (and, at this rate, they will soon) they need to go all out. Pass everything they want however they can. Republicans had power and used it to not only give all favor to the rich but also ignored blatant crimes by the president. Democrats need to throw all semblance of mutual respect for republicans out the window.

Yep. They need to burn all of the bridges at they have for the GOP. It is clear that the GOP is clearly not in it for Americans in general with all the stuff they are doing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really have to wonder if the GOP fully understands the situation or what their thinking is. Just hold the line, pack the court while we can, and suffer what's coming eventually? Surely they can't be expecting all of this to be a passing storm at this point.

We'll see what happens after Comey testifies before Congress. There's no way this isn't the first question from a Dem.

Ernest

Banned
Also in the report...

"Buried in our story: Trump said to Comey that he should consider putting reporters in prison."

Can Trump be any worse?

The answer is no, none worse - we just have yet to see how awful he truly is.
Can't wait for the crash & burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom