• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What is Grahams strategy here?

"We're all gonna die" is his life defining doctrine.

The guy legitimately panics about everything being the end of america unless we "Do Something"™. Even climate change he's the one of the few republicans that want to do something about it.

It's his best and worst trait depending on the issue. It makes him likely to cross party lines when something really troubling does happen, while also making him likely to support every war or military action ever conceived.

Allard

Remember, all: 67 votes are needed for impeachment in the Senate. I'll eat my fucking hat if the Dems reclaim it in '18 and manage to flip enough Repubs over for impeachment. This also isn't even accounting for the House.

If the GOP controlled house can create impeachment proceedings, the senate can damn sure finish them. Trump needs to be removed now, they are going to lose seats in the house and it might even flip in 2018 no matter what they do. They want to care about their political lives? How about dealing with Trump in the news, 24/7 all the way up to 2020. Watch governorship, legislatures in states 2020 senate races etc all flip going into a friggin Census year. The quicker they can get away from this walking nightmare, the quicker they can control it even if it pisses off their base. They survived Nixon, hell the next person they got is their conservative god Reagan 6 years later because their base are fickle sportsmanship playing jackasses who vote for the winning team. They will be back and the sooner they can work on making people forget that Trump was attached to the party the better. The fact they still don't get this shows how truly inept and spineless they are to their base.

Yeah not sure he'll make it to 2018 even...Means we have a good chance of a pence or ryan presidency.

I think with how involved Pence was with the "vetting" of Flynn, if Flynn goes down Pence is out as well. I think it's more likely if Trump goes down Pence goes with him, and Paul Ryan continues his failing upwards into the Presidency.

Allard

I think with how involved Pence was with the "vetting" of Flynn, if Flynn goes down Pence is out as well. I think it's more likely if Trump goes down Pence goes with him, and Paul Ryan continues his failing upwards into the Presidency.

Unless Pence is tossed at the same time Trump is Pence will just get his own VP in before he is removed leading to that new VP elected to president. Ryan can only fail upward if BOTH VP and President are removed without a replacement.

The candidate in Georgia went all in supporting Trump like 2 weeks ago. In the past 2 weeks he's fired the FBI director which resulted in massive backlash, had his staff lie about why he fired the FBI director, replaced Spicey because people were made at him, gotten hammered by the media from literally every angle, the AHCA has proven to be just as unpopular as it was the first time around, and now he has admitted to leaking classified intel to Russia in the damn Oval Office. If there was ever a time to think Ossoff is going to win, it's right now.

Unless Pence is tossed at the same time Trump is Pence will just get his own VP in before he is removed leading to that new VP elected to president. Ryan can only fail upward if BOTH VP and President are removed without a replacement.

That's true, but unless I'm mistaken any VP pick has to be approved by the Senate. Who the hell would Pence pick that would clear the Senate? Everyone around him has horrific image problems.

kirblar

If Trump goes down due to Flynn, Pence will strongly be encouraged to resign as well so they can clean-slate, I think.

Nafai1123

Banned
I think this could be a big push to force Rosensteins hand in appointing a special prosecutor. Durbin on MSNBC is pushing for it right now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Seems like a long time ago the house voted to have the democrats sing about our healthcare getting better. Dicks.

So hundreds of appointees are still unfilled...I don't think there are hundreds of people left who will attach themselves to Trump, chaos aside where nothing will get done anyways.

Kusagari

This is how we get President Romney

Nah, it's finally time.

CsV0D_OWgAQp5Cx.jpg

This is how we get President Romney

That's... actually genius. I mean for the Republicans at least. If Trump gets ousted and it's clear Pence is tainted and unpopular, you put Romney in the VP slot knowing the Senate will approve him as a Moderate Republican who is decently qualified for the position, plus you can play footage of him in the debates criticizing Russia as a dangerous threat (and getting laughed at) to show an entire partywide pivot. Vice President Romney could be the key the Republicans saving at least a bit of face on the Russian Connections.

That's... actually genius. I mean for the Republicans at least. If Trump gets ousted and it's clear Pence is tainted and unpopular, you put Romney in the VP slot knowing the Senate will approve him as a Moderate Republican who is decently qualified for the position, plus you can play footage of him in the debates criticizing Russia as a dangerous threat (and getting laughed at) to show an entire partywide pivot. Vice President Romney could be the key the Republicans saving at least a bit of face on the Russian Connections.

How is this genius? It's not that difficult to pick a VP that will pass the Senate and Romney isn't saving a party.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's true, but unless I'm mistaken any VP pick has to be approved by the Senate. Who the hell would Pence pick that would clear the Senate? Everyone around him has horrific image problems.

If it came to that, I think Democrats should approve any Republican not directly connected to Trump. It's important that Pence and other Republicans feel safe getting things to that point, and that requires an advance commitment from Democrats. I also believe if it gets to that point that Democrats should allow Pence to pardon Trump as Ford did Nixon. What matters is the end effect of Trump not being President, not every little pissant victory before and after.

But he might not fill the vacancy at all. LBJ didn't during his partial term. It's not the end of the world not to.

Wilsongt

If it came to that, I think Democrats should approve any Republican not directly connected to Trump. It's important that Pence and other Republicans feel safe getting things to that point, and that requires an advance commitment from Democrats. I also believe if it gets to that point that Democrats should allow Pence to pardon Trump as Ford did Nixon. What matters is the end effect of Trump not being President, not every little pissant victory before and after.

But he might not fill the vacancy at all. LBJ didn't during his partial term. It's not the end of the world not to.

They'll lose the tie breaker vote, though. I don't think McConnell would allow that to be the case.

How is this genius? It's not that difficult to pick a VP that will pass the Senate and Romney isn't saving a party.

It is when you've just forced out the democratically selected leader of your party and the entire party is in shambles. Romney might not have had the best luck running against Obama, but he could easily represent a concerted effort to moderate the party in a post-Trump era. If Republicans in the House and Senate want to keep their jobs they're going to have to make it up to the voters and get somebody that has been vocally against Trump through, Romney fits that bill and then some.

I'm not even sure what would motivate Romney to want the VP position. If I was him I'd be chilling with my millions and watching the party that threw me to the curb burn. Why would any Republican want to try and pick up the pieces from this dumpster fire of an administration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom