• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yep. He likes the guy personally, they bonded on the campaign trail. And he respects loyalty (more or less). I think this is more evidence of Trump being an incompetent moron who doesn't understand what obstruction of justice is than hedging his entire presidency on protecting Flynn from being outed as the missing link between Trump and Putin.

Remember we still don't know if Nixon ordered the Watergate bugging. The obstruction alone is enough!

So either way he should be gone!

Anybody want to take a shot at why Republicans are defending Trump so much when if they choose not to, they can have one of their own, Mike Pence, be the next President?

They can't. The repercussions of Trump being removed from office would be disastrous to them.

Anybody want to take a shot at why Republicans are defending Trump so much when if they choose not to, they can have one of their own, Mike Pence, be the next President?

They're completely beholden to Trump's base in order to win elections. They won't do anything until and unless his popularity sinks so low that angering his base is seen as the less bad option.

Nafai1123

Banned
Kind of wonder what will happen to Trumps base if things get bad enough that Trump is forced out. I don't see many being won over. Could be the country gets even uglier for a while.

They're cowards that will slink back to their white "oppressed" rural neighborhoods. Fuck them.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I think this might actually do it

I hope so, but Trump seems to have been able to dodge just about everything thrown his way.

A military situation arises in North Korea or elsewhere, and I'm afraid most of the public will have forgotten and then moved on.

At the very least there is no way he can win 2020.

Because the only reason the GOP didn't die off after watergate is because Jimmy Carter was a bad candidate who barely beat Ford.

The GOP is afraid of what would happen if they killed the enthusiasm among the Trump fanbase.

GOP now has nothing without Trump's fanbase.

I love Kander. I really, really want him on the ticket as VP in 2020.

I'd rather have Kander go again for Missouri's US Senate seat.

Trump, has trained his followers to not only distrust the Democrats, but also "Establishment Republicans".

Even if Trump goes, his followers will still be there.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
You know why I keep saying the GOP won't turn on Trump and do anything?

This is the statement from the Republican in Colorado's vulnerable 6th district today about the whole thing. He's not going to do shit.

It's one of those seats that's going to take a ton to overcome the incumbency advantage, with him being a big name in colorado politics 10 years now, but if he loses, it could be democrat forever the way it's trending.

Sarah Westwood‏Verified account
@sarahcwestwood

.@FoxNews reporting on the air now that they can't get a Republican member on the air right now to defend Trump

https://twitter.com/sarahcwestwood/status/864611207545843713

Don't worry, they still have Karl Rove to say "but her emails".

Edit: Trey Gowdy on fox now saying "troubling, but wait for more information".

Slizeezyc

It's one of those seats that's going to take a ton to overcome the incumbency advantage, with him being a big name in colorado politics 10 years now, but if he loses, it could be democrat forever the way it's trending.

It has basically become the company line.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The fact that so many republicans are clinging to Trump through anything makes me wonder if my original theory that Russia hacked the RNC and got info on Congressmen for blackmail purposes is true.

It'd be a waste. We're seeing the VP slot just doesn't work as a launching board for a future campaign.

I'm really kind of puzzled as to how people keep bringing up past results as 100% unchangeable gospel when our political world is now completely turned upside down compared to what it was even 8 years ago.

Things change.

Because the only reason the GOP didn't die off after watergate is because Jimmy Carter was a bad candidate who barely beat Ford.

The GOP is afraid of what would happen if they killed the enthusiasm among the Trump fanbase.

Carter wasn't a bad candidate, he was a bad President.

The GOP wasn't dying no matter who ran in 76.

broz0rs

Very convincing argument. Mike Pence would be similar to Gerald Ford.

I also feel impeachment hearings will severely delay the GOP agenda of AHCA and tax reform (in the 1.5 years they have left before midterms) so they absolutely can't let impeachment happen.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The fact that so many republicans are clinging to Trump through anything makes me wonder if my original theory that Russia hacked the RNC and got info on Congressmen for blackmail purposes is true.

The other one I heard that makes sense is Russian money laundering for GOP Members.

It'd be a waste. We're seeing the VP slot just doesn't work as a launching board for a future campaign.

Is this actually true?

If Hillary hadn't run and Beau been alive, Biden likely would've won.

Cheney never wanted to be POTUS.

Gore actually won and would've​ won by a larger margin if he didn't listen to DC consultants and embraced Bill.

HW became POTUS.

Ford almost won an election after Watergate.

Nafai1123

Banned

"Sir, would you like to comment on the President ordering a drone strike on FBI headquarters?"

"Troubling, but wait for more information."

Gotchaye

It's a combination of two things. Like other people are saying, a large number of Republicans like Trump and would be mad at Congressmen who set themselves against him. But this is also just the standard McConnell play for controlling the narrative. As long as Republicans are united in defense of Trump, then for many people this just looks like a partisan fight. If Trump faces bipartisan condemnation then it's uncontroversial that he's done something worth condemning. And for many voters, especially the people most likely to switch their votes between parties, the party basically is the president, so what we'd have would be bipartisan condemnation of Republicans. It's way too late for them to do anything about Trump without thereby admitting that they're pretty bad themselves, and so it's arguably in their interest to just continue as they are even ignoring that their base still likes Trump.

Is this actually true?

If Hillary hadn't run and Beau been alive, Biden likely would've won.

Cheney never wanted to be POTUS.

Gore actually won and would've​ won by a larger margin if he didn't listen to DC consultants and embraced Bill.

HW became POTUS.

Ford almost won an election after Watergate.

4 Vice Presidents have been elected President in US history. It's an uncommon path. Papa Bush is the only one in the modern era.

Biden would never have won the nomination, he's a pointless hypothetical.

jtb

Banned
I hate coddling politicians who can't win elections. Jason Kander is useful... if he can win elections. If he can't, then what's the point of putting him on the ticket?

I hate coddling politicians who can't win elections. Jason Kander is useful... if he can win elections. If he can't, then what's the point of putting him on the ticket?

The guy dramatically outperformed Hillary in an election where a red wave buried Democrats in midwestern states.

Kusagari

He ran 16 points ahead of Hill against an incumbent,

What more could he have realistically done?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Fox News's John Roberts stops interview to take a phone call. What are the odds it's trump wanting to yell at him to say something?

Atenhaus

Remember, all: 67 votes are needed for impeachment in the Senate. I'll eat my fucking hat if the Dems reclaim it in '18 and manage to flip enough Repubs over for impeachment. This also isn't even accounting for the House.

I made it precisely 6 months after election night off of cable news and then this string of gigaton-grade bombs of Trump bullshit started last Tuesday. Well, that's 6 months longer than I thought I'd last.
There is a TRUMP vs. COMEY: ALL NIGHT graphic on MSNBC LOL
Sounds lewd. I'm in.

faisal233

Kind of wonder what will happen to Trumps base if things get bad enough that Trump is forced out. I don't see many being won over. Could be the country gets even uglier for a while.

Just gotta pull a berniebro on them and make sure they stay home. Fuck winning them over.

jtb

Banned
The guy dramatically outperformed Hillary in an election where a red wave buried Democrats in midwestern states.

He ran 16 points ahead of Hill against an incumbent,

What more could he have realistically done?

Well, that's democracy. I'm all for him serving in government. But he has no future as an elected politician if he can't win elections, because... that's just how it works. Making him some kind of mandatory cabinet pick or VP pick because you're trying to groom him... sorry, but I think that's every bit as dumb for Kander as it is for Julian Castro.

Blader

Because their base wants Trump. Over 80 percent of Republican voters have positive views of Trump. Until that falls dramatically (by, like, 20-30 points) the party will, by and large, continue to close ranks around Trump.

i like this one

Alternatively, "In the room where it happened" in Cyrillic.

Because their base wants Trump. Over 80 percent of Republican voters have positive views of Trump. Until that falls dramatically (by, like, 20-30 points) the party will, by and large, continue to close ranks around Trump.

If I read correctly earlier it wasn't until Nixon hit 50% among Republicans that the House/Senate went all in investigating.

Lo-Volt

I see your point here, but. A lot of successful politicians need more than one try to get into politics. Theresa May lost her first parliamentary election. Pretty sure Tony Blair did too. Ronald Reagan lost the 1976 Republican primary.

To get back to the moment at hand for a second, I'm gobsmacked, and not just by what Trump asked the FBI director. Trump:

1) made his other subordinates leave before asking something really incriminating, which in retrospect looks incredibly guilty.
2) there are memos, yikes.
3) some of those memos are substantial enough that they were classified.

Teggy

Steve Peoples @sppeoples
Trump supporter Bill Bennett on Fox News: "If you looked at Mother Theresa under a microscope you would see germs and bacteria."

hahsggsjskkskskkskisiiiiokwkk

The best thing about this Comey story is that it doesn't play into Trumps excuses. No leaks, no classified material. No fake news. Just the head of the FBI with actual receipts (allegedly).

Ecotic

I expect Republicans in Congress to continue to protect the President, but Trump is still looking at a defanged Presidency at this rate. He'll be mired in a perpetual mid-30's approval rating (maybe lower) and be unable to pass an agenda. The midterms could be severe losses.

Blader

If I read correctly earlier it wasn't until Nixon hit 50% among Republicans that the House/Senate went all in investigating.

Well, Democrats controlled the House and Senate, which is why there were any investigations at all. :lol I think Nixon's approval rating among Republicans was still in the 50s just days before GOP leaders told him he needed resign or else he'd be impeached.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
hahsggsjskkskskkskisiiiiokwkk

The best thing about this Comey story is that it doesn't play into Trumps excuses. No leaks, no classified material. No fake news. Just the head of the FBI with actual receipts (allegedly).

Wow, they got Bill Bennett of the Bill Bennett Podcast for a primetime news segment on a big news day?

I guess that tweet about them being unable to find republicans to defend this is fake news.

Ithil

What is Grahams strategy here?

His goal all along has been to stay on the Trump ship, except stand right next to the lifeboats at all time and be the first to leap off as soon as it's sinking.

It doesn't mean he's gonna put holes in the ship but he's been laying the groundwork all along to be the first one to jump off and insulate himself from the damage if he has to.

His goal all along has been to stay on the Trump ship, except stand right next to the lifeboats at all time and be the first to leap off as soon as it's sinking.

It doesn't mean he's gonna put holes in the ship but he's been laying the groundwork all along to be the first one to jump off and insulate himself from the damage if he has to.

Bingo. Graham isn't going to go full-on Independent because he will always need republicans to win elections, but Graham is someone who has been VERY careful and deliberate in setting himself up as the fallback guy when Team Trump is gone.

Once Trump is out of Office, Graham could EASILY win a nomination by consolidating all antiTrump support among the GOP (remember that Trump only won a plurality in 2016 primaries).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom