• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Don't call a liar a liar because it's mean. Let the facts speak...but they did speak and have shown trump to be a liar.

Was thinking, Trump's four months so far have laid bare many many legitimate issues and aspects that are basically gentleman agreements involving the presidency and the nature of checks and balances. Stuff that would need serious discussion, an examination, changes.

But that kind of introspection and discussion would never happen. Anything proposed by a democrat President and party would be shot down, spun, vehemently opposed. Any discussion and constructive criticism would be dismissed as one side versus the other, left vs right.

I don't see any changes happening, and that's scary, because another wannabe fascist dictator knows exactly what not to do after watching Trump and co hurt themselves repeatedly

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
You are not going to hear a Senator say a word about impeachment unless and until the House starts it.

As much as I think Kasich is a hard right phony in moderates clothing, he has never wavered from his criticism which buys him some respect from me

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Didn't stop congress with Bill Clinton

Not a great argument if what you want is conviction. Last I recall, Clinton finished 2 terms.

You pretty much get one shot at impeaching this guy, if that. Blowing it early is a mistake.

Crayons

Banned
He's garbage. Nothing new here. Although I do wonder if he's compromised somehow as well.
I agree with the other people saying we need to wait until were sure we can win the vote for impeachment before it happens.

If you impeach him and it's voted down, dems lose a lot of credibility

If an impeachment started now we wouldn't have the votes. If Comey drops the bomb, he can be tried on obstruction. I mean it could be a sideshow if democrats want something to tie the administration up with.

Not a great argument if what you want is conviction. Last I recall, Clinton finished 2 terms.

You pretty much get one shot at impeaching this guy, if that. Blowing it early is a mistake.

The public never wanted Clinton to be impeached. Right now there's more public support for Trump's impeachment than against, which is new territory for America post-Nixon. Forcing 34 Senators to block it might be useful politically. Just impeaching him even without removing him might make him even crazier. Plus, there's no double jeopardy for impeachment, right? No reason we can't do it twice if that's what voters want.

zelas

Didn't stop congress with Bill Clinton
So achieving failure along party lines and galvanizing republicans should be our goal?

The public never wanted Clinton to be impeached. Right now there's more public support for Trump's impeachment than against, which is new territory for America post-Nixon. Forcing 34 Senators to block it might be useful politically. Just impeaching him even without removing him might make him even crazier. Plus, there's no double jeopardy for impeachment, right? No reason we can't do it twice if that's what voters want.
Democrats are the majority, majority support is not surprising. What do the numbers in individual red states say? Those are the only ones that matter.

They can't force anything, the Republicans control Congress and are not and probably will never be interested.

Crocodile

Seems the progressive, outsider candidate Larry Krasner won his bid to become the Philadelphia DA!

I don't know too much about him but here is an article about him.

Seems good? :)

They can't force anything, the Republicans control Congress and are not and probably will never be interested.

Presumably we're talking about a hypothetical Dem retaking of the House, so 2019, 2020 timeframe. I'm just saying impeachment might be useful even if we know we won't get removal in the Senate.

JP_

Banned
You all making a big deal over Sanders' comment need to chill. The tweet talking about falling over each other is overstating it -- you should actually watch it. Sanders spent considerable time describing, to the protest of Kasich, how Trump is demonstrating authoritarian tendencies. But you have to remember, Sanders' is framing himself as a uniter -- he's appealing to the more reasonable conservatives that are uncomfortable with Trump, but would perceive impeachment talk before the investigation demonstrates proof of collusion to be partisan attacks from the left. Let Sanders play his role, leave the attack dog role to others. Both are useful.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think Angus King actually said the word impeachment today.

I think he actually specifically tried to avoid saying the word while lamenting the fact that we've come to this. And he's (essentially) a Democrat.

The point is that Senators much more than Representatives cling to their rapidly thinning veneer of bipartisanship. The world is moving much faster than they are, and they remain extremely hesitant to say anything too flagrant too early.

Blader

You all making a big deal over Sanders' comment need to chill. The tweet talking about falling over each other is overstating it -- you should actually watch it. Sanders spent considerable time describing, to the protest of Kasich, how Trump is demonstrating authoritarian tendencies. But you have to remember, Sanders' is framing himself as a uniter -- he's appealing to the more reasonable conservatives that are uncomfortable with Trump, but would perceive impeachment talk before the investigation demonstrates proof of collusion to be partisan attacks from the left. Let Sanders play his role, leave the attack dog role to others. Both are useful.

uhh Sanders IS the partisan attack dog. He isn't attracting any conservatives. That would also be hilariously ironic given his stance toward corporate Dems.

Blader

Subject line: TRAGIC CONCLUSION

TifgK62.jpg

How do I tell the Quist campaign's fundraising team to fuck off? They've sent me two emails in the span of two minutes and they're the shittiest campaign emails I've ever received.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm back and forth the impeachment talk.

On one hand, jesus christ it would be so relieving to get this buffoon out of the Oval Office asap. On the other, it's only 5 months and Trump is already near record-low approval ratings. Letting him constantly fail for the next 4 years would make 2020 a lot easier to win compared to running against Pence or Ryan.

Foffy

Banned
Subject line: TRAGIC CONCLUSION

How do I tell the Quist campaign's fundraising team to fuck off? They've sent me two emails in the span of two minutes and they're the shittiest campaign emails I've ever received.

You know what I love about those emails? Look at the numbers.

They don't use 0's.

On one hand, jesus christ it would be so relieving to get this buffoon out of the Oval Office asap. On the other, it's only 5 months and Trump is already near record-low approval ratings. Letting him constantly fail for the next 4 years would make 2020 a lot easier to win compared to running against Pence or Ryan.

He's doing possibly irreparable damage to the country with our allies. We can't wait even if it would help politically

Crayons

Banned

It's a hard choice

Do we let him put our national security at justice for the next four years?

Or do we impeach him and put someone more capable in power who will be more competent but will pass regressive legislation?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Well, if we ever want Republicans to not Impeach Trump, we could just have Obama say we need to Impeach him.

It's a hard choice

Do we let him put our national security at justice for the next four years?

Or do we impeach him and put someone more capable in power who will be more competent but will pass regressive legislation?

It's really difficult to say what on earth Pence could actually get done, especially when Moderate republicans will start freaking the fuck out after the impeachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom