• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Edit:
Note to President Trump, Obama would have never had the balls to just quit being president and flee to Russia.

You know what I love about those emails? Look at the numbers.

They don't use 0's.
Probably attempted spam filter avoidance, it is also probably useless in that regard.

JP_

Banned
uhh Sanders IS the partisan attack dog. He isn't attracting any conservatives. That would also be hilariously ironic given his stance toward corporate Dems.

You haven't been paying attention. He's been doing these debates and townhalls specifically as outreach efforts.

Obviously he's not going to attract bonafide fiscal conservatives, but he's attractive to people that otherwise think dems are corrupt but aren't as tethered to Trump's racism.

Foffy

Banned
Edit:
Note to President Trump, Obama would have never had the balls to just quit being president and flee to Russia.

Probably attempted spam filter avoidance, it is also probably useless in that regard.

Nawh, I get emails like that from the DCC. It's to make the numbers "stand out" in a ridiculous way.

We're down $1OO,OOO!! It just screams marketing attempts to make numbers look bigger.

Slacker

Really looking forward to the HBO "Game Change" style movie on this. I had assumed the Trump run to the nomination and subsequent humiliating defeat/meltdown would have been a two hour movie. Then after he won and started effing up I thought, maybe a 8-10 hour "Limited Series."

Now I'm thinking they go all in game of thrones style, 10 seasons and 5 spinoff prequel series.

Edit: 1O seasons

gaugebozo

It's a hard choice

Do we let him put our national security at justice for the next four years?

Or do we impeach him and put someone more capable in power who will be more competent but will pass regressive legislation?
If he's getting impeached, there are enough Democrats in Congress to make sure more regressive legislation doesn't get passed.

Pixieking

Banned
A quick Google gave me wayyyy to much irrelevant information, so...

Is it just a simple majority in the House and then the Senate that's required for impeachment?

wutwutwut

A quick Google gave me wayyyy to much irrelevant information, so...

Is it just a simple majority in the House and then the Senate that's required for impeachment?
50%+1 of the house to impeach (which, unlike in many other countries, isn't the last step to removal) and 2/3 of the senate to convict.

Pixieking

Banned
50%+1 of the house to impeach (which, unlike in many other countries, isn't the last step to removal) and 2/3 of the senate to convict.

Cool. Thanks. :)

No way the Senate is going to vote to convict, the way things are going. And even if they did, can anyone be sure of Pence's innocence? Either he's willfully naive/ignorant/stupid, or he's complicit in some fashion, surely? And neither route is particularly good.

I thought the outreach was supposed to be to sort of racist but not white hood racists.

I don't think there's been any intent to try and reach fiscal conservatives Rockerfeller Republicans or whatever they call themself. They already voted for Hillary probably.

Decades ago, it was congressional staff that would craft legislation. Now it's lobbying groups and think tanks.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...hink-for-itself-it-turns-to-lobbyists/387295/
Times change. Libruls should get good at lobbying.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Times change. Libruls should get good at lobbying.

There's nothing that requires senators to take up legislation from lobbiests but laziness.

Conservatives will take lobbyist legislation because they are entirely incompetent, but liberals should not.

royalan

heh, considering it backfired on them, maybe it should've.

Eh, as cynical as I am (and I'm pretty damn cynical these days), I'm not one to make the calculus that an impeachment trial for literal treason (and all the evidence that would reveal), would be received by the public the same way an impeachment trial over office head was.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
i don't really believe some of you are so partisan that you'd rather wait out the danger Trump poses to the world to avoid running against Pence or Ryan.

There's nothing that requires senators to take up legislation from lobbiests but laziness.

Conservatives will take lobbyist legislation because they are entirely incompetent, but liberals should not.
Why? Do libruls just hate efficiency on principle as much as they hate winning and freedom.
ALEC and AUL run rampant with model acts to destroy the world.

What point is there in not using independent resources in supporting the underresourced legislative process to advance progressive goals.

Pixieking

Banned
i don't really believe some of you are so partisan that you'd rather wait out the danger Trump poses to the world to avoid running against Pence or Ryan.

It's not just "avoid running against" Pence or Ryan - what would Pence do as President? He'd be less volatile than Trump, but he'd pretty much wage a war against LGBTQ and women. And Ryan as VP? No less dangerous than he is now, I think.

The basic question is, is an incompetent evil person in a position of power better or worse than an intelligent evil person in power?

Personally, I would like to see Trump still be President at this point next year - even if they decide to impeach/convict in May or June 2018, by then the political damage will have been done to the GOP in the mid-terms. Remove him now, and the GOP (with the help of the media) can turn this around, and come out looking vaguely reasonable. Waiting until 2018 is the "compromise" between wanting Trump out, and fearing what a President Pence would do.

Ernest

Banned
It's really difficult to say what on earth Pence could actually get done, especially when Moderate republicans will start freaking the fuck out after the impeachment.
Yeah, a non-elected president taking over from an impeached/resigned one will have greatly reduced powers compared to a normal president. Not on paper, but just in perceived power throughout DC, kinda like Ford after Nixon. He's not gonna wanna rock the boat with a weird agenda.

JP_

Banned

I mean there's some truth to that, but take a look at that Atlantic article. Policy complexity has grown while congressional staff/resources have shrunk. Time spent in committee meetings hashing out details has been replaced with time campaigning to stay in office. It'll be an uphill battle without addressing those issues.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It's not just "avoid running against" Pence or Ryan - what would Pence do as President? He'd be less volatile than Trump, but he'd pretty much wage a war against LGBTQ and women. And Ryan as VP? No less dangerous than he is now, I think.

The basic question is, is an incompetent evil person in a position of power better or worse than an intelligent evil person in power?

Personally, I would like to see Trump still be President at this point next year - even if they decide to impeach/convict in May or June 2018, by then the political damage will have been done to the GOP in the mid-terms. Remove him now, and the GOP (with the help of the media) can turn this around, and come out looking vaguely reasonable. Waiting until 2018 is the "compromise" between wanting Trump out, and fearing what a President Pence would do.

yeah again i don't honestly believe you're that partisan to believe that Pence/Ryan is worse for humanity than every day Trump holds office. I understand your reasoning, I just don't think people who maintain this line of thought are thinking very clearly.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
yeah again i don't honestly believe you're that partisan to believe that Pence/Ryan is worse for humanity than every day Trump holds office. I understand your reasoning, I just don't think people who maintain this line of thought are thinking very clearly.

Yeah, the risks of Trump are greater than the risk from a neutered Pence presidency.

JP_

Banned
Get trump out of office asap doesn't necessarily mean impeach trump asap. I'm all for getting trump out of office asap but we may need to play it strategically.

I get not wanting to run against an actually competent person, but the damage Trump is doing is immeasurable to the nation as a whole, including its standing with allies on a global level. He is too unpredictable to keep in there.

If we're going to argue "country over party" then we have to want Trump out immediately.

Slacker

I can't even imagine what his morning tweet storm is going to be this time.

I think he goes full ignore mode. "Cucks at ABC cancelled very funny Tim Allen show. Any suggestions on what to watch that's appropriate for teenage girls who are around here for some reason?"

"Remember when Hillary was a few seconds late getting back to a debate cause she was in bathroom? So gross. What do you think women do in there?"

"Can someone call Mike Flynn and ask if inflation is good/bad? Dollar inflated = bigger = that's good right?"

"Melania made/let Barron wear a #broromper. Seeking applications for new wife. Someone at Fox News with a history of silently suffering from years of sexual harrassment preferred."

royalan

Besides, if the Democrats put in work, Republicans with Trump have given us enough ammo to keep any Republican unelectable.

But we need to do a better job branding Republicans with Trump.

Slacker

Besides, if the Democrats put in work, Republicans with Trump have given us enough ammo to keep any Republican unelectable.

But we need to do a better job branding Republicans with Trump.

Yep just need a vote. Impeachment/censure/whatever. Something where the cowards can toe the party line like always that Dems can use in ads for years.

Whatever fox and friends tells him

so... seth rich
I think we have a winner. Repubicans love nothing more than desecrating a dead body on TV if it helps them lie to their audience more effectively.

Sibylus

Banned
I think he goes full ignore mode. "Cucks at ABC cancelled very funny Tim Allen show. Any suggestions on what to watch that's appropriate for teenage girls who are around here for some reason?"

"Remember when Hillary was a few seconds late getting back to a debate cause she was in bathroom? So gross. What do you think women do in there?"

"Can someone call Mike Flynn and ask if inflation is good/bad? Dollar inflated = bigger = that's good right?"

"Melania made/let Barron wear a #broromper. Seeking applications for new wife. Someone at Fox News with a history of silently suffering from years of sexual harrassment preferred."

45 has never possessed restraint. Tomorrow, the day after, next week... he's going to bitch.

I've been trying to think of what Trump would have to do to actually get large defections from the GOP. What would be the most offensive thing to a Republican? The best I can come up with for now is Trump exhuming the corpse of Reagan and penetrating it on live television. Yeah, you could add a bunch of qualifiers like "with Putin watching and moaning the benefits of a single payer health care system" and stuff, but no need to make it more complicated.

Chichikov

I'm back and forth the impeachment talk.

On one hand, jesus christ it would be so relieving to get this buffoon out of the Oval Office asap. On the other, it's only 5 months and Trump is already near record-low approval ratings. Letting him constantly fail for the next 4 years would make 2020 a lot easier to win compared to running against Pence or Ryan.
Nah man, country before party. President Pence will be bad, but Trump is uniquely unqualified for the job. The thought of him having to deal with a real crisis (as opposed to the self inflicted ones he's been dealing with) is terrifying.
It's a risk this country and the world shouldn't take, even if it means delaying the progressive agenda.

The best legislation is usually written after asking think tanks for help anyway.
Nah man, country before party. President Pence will be bad, but Trump is uniquely unqualified for the job. The thought of him having to deal with a real crisis (as opposed to the self inflicted ones he's been dealing with) is terrifying.
It's a risk this country and the world shouldn't take, even if it means delaying the progressive agenda.
Yeah, at least under Pence I won't question whether we're safe. The last time an administration was incompetent regarding national security, 9/11 happened.

going to a southern christian school in the 00s was so wild. it just be 10x more insane now. teachers were openly quoting that fake email chain that said the quaran 9:11 foreshadowed america attacking afghanistan. Teachers would literally spout whatever glenn beck said on AM radio the morning they drove to school. now they're on facebook reposting breitbart.

Pixieking

Banned

With regards to the bolded, what are the chances of some manner of legislation requiring a bare minimum of qualifications for the Presidency? Would that - could that - ever happen?

Also, given the GOP won't want to impeach, is it possible they'd wrangle a deal with Trump behind-the-scenes, which sees the replacement of some of Trump's inner-circle with more establishment politicians, who are more qualified and have a more moderate outlook? Trump could sell it to the public as a "reset" of his presidency, perhaps?

With regards to the bolded, what are the chances of some manner of legislation requiring a bare minimum of qualifications for the Presidency? Would that - could that - ever happen?

Also, given the GOP won't want to impeach, is it possible they'd wrangle a deal with Trump behind-the-scenes, which sees the replacement of some of Trump's inner-circle with more establishment politicians, who are more qualified and have a more moderate outlook? Trump could sell it to the public as a "reset" of his presidency, perhaps?

That's like gluing on new branches when the roots of the tree are rotten. He'd still fuck it up because he'd overrule the sane cabinet members and drag them down to his level.

Diablos

The GOP will never impeach him and Trump will never resign. We're stuck with him and as a result our institutions will erode and never quite be the same.

Can't wait to see the shit he's going to try and pull to maximize voter suppression in 2020. I really hope Democrats are prepared.

There are already some prerequisites to becoming president (35 years old, born a US citizen) and frankly I doubt that will become any more strict in our lifetimes.

And I don't think Trump would ever admit that his presidency needs resetting. Trump genuinely thinks he's doing a great job.

There's alot of things Trump is doing that aren't illegal because nobody ever thought that any president would do the things he's doing.

For instance, why would you waste time making legislation that prevents the president from leaking classified intel to our most dangerous enemy? Who would even think about something like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom