• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just woke up, Putin is offering the recording of Trump and Lavrov?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/politics/russia-us-trump-lavrov-intel/index.html

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

The only benefit of this situation is that it gave us this classic image of Putin wearing a hockey jersey being interviewed in a the hallway of what appears to be a space ship.

0509-putin-interview-hockey-gear-1.jpg

DonShula

Is Trump on a plane today? Or has his staff hogtied him and not let him near a phone because his Twitter has been silent for too long.

Dershowitz was ranting on CNN last night about how Trump should shut up and turn off the Twitter, because everything he says from here on out will compound his looming legal issues.

Maybe he actually listened?

Unless he resigns from fatigue, Trump will finish his 4 year term. Nothing will legally ever touch him.

BUT

That isn't necessarily a bad thing at all. Constantly having massive negative stories in the press will drag down the entire GOP and Trump and help Democrats secure wins. The longer it goes on, the less likely it is that it leaves people's minds and they go back to supporting the GOP.

Also people without the protection and clout of Trump will fall. Sessions, Flynn, Manafort, people like that.

Basically this. The GOP has shown no sign of standing up to Trump about anything, so I expect that they will continue to stand by and do nothing. I don't think impeachment will ever happen.

If and when the Democrats take the House, they'll do plenty of investigations into everything, further compounding the negative news stories about Trump.

The GOP's best hope is that they hold onto the House, which is possible but looking less likelier as each day passes.

Huh... is there some reason Trump isn't using the standard 747 for his Air Force One? It looks downright weird to see a POTUS arrive in anything else. Or is this just for today while they check out the thing for the overseas trip, perhaps?

sangreal

Huh... is there some reason Trump isn't using the standard 747 for his Air Force One? It looks downright weird to see a POTUS arrive in anything else. Or is this just for today while they check out the thing for the overseas trip, perhaps?

probably the latter, but its like a 30 minute flight. He could take the helicopter

I think the 747 is only for overseas or big airports here since it's runway options are limited

that makes sense too

FyreWulff

I think the 747 is only for overseas or big airports here since it's runway options are limited

Blader

I mean that kind of inadvertently confirms Comey's memo though, doesn't it?

Yes, though he can always spin it as "My father and I don't talk politics anymore, I have no insights into his conversations with Comey re: Flynn, this is just my outside view of it."

AndyD

aka andydumi
I mean that kind of inadvertently confirms Comey's memo though, doesn't it?

Exactly. We're starting to hear from WH that "that's the way he speaks" "that's not what he meant" which means confirmation that that's what was said, now we're arguing over meaning and intent.

Blader

I will never believe Ryan or McConnell would ever pursue impeachment against Trump. But, I do wonder if there's a point where the calculus changes from "impeaching Trump will derail our legislative agenda" to "Trump's constant scandals are derailing our legislative agenda, and we'll have a better shot at getting back on track with Pence in the Oval."

NewFresh

Exactly. We're starting to hear from WH that "that's the way he speaks" "that's not what he meant" which means confirmation that that's what was said, now we're arguing over meaning and intent.

He lost all amount of deniability when he asked everyone else in the room to leave.

sangreal

I will never believe Ryan or McConnell would ever pursue impeachment against Trump. But, I do wonder if there's a point where the calculus changes from "impeaching Trump will derail our legislative agenda" to "Trump's constant scandals are derailing our legislative agenda, and we'll have a better shot at getting back on track with Pence in the Oval."

Are Ryan and McConnell even required?

I would think it just requires the ~25 republicans to sign a discharge petition and vote for it

Not that I want, or expect impeachment to happen

Gruco

Banned
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/864851686812200960

@daveweigel said:
BTW, the CBO score for AHCA comes out on May 22. Montana's special election ends three days later.

I do think the 1-2 punch of this week has changed the GOP's calculus a bit. But, they've also learned their lesson from Trump's sexual assault confession during the campaign. When that came out, they were revolted and thought they understood the politics, but got ahead of their base and had to backtrack. So now, they slow roll. The only metric that matters to them will remain their continued success in elections.

Saying nothing buys them time to see how bad the Comey memos are, and to see how serious the situation is heading into the mid terms. If the memo/leak situation gets uglier, that's bad enough. But the looming CBO score is getting lost in all of this, and it's just as bad (possibly worse) for Republicans. I think we're a long way from the floor, but at the end of the day the Special Elections remain the most powerful weapon the Democrats have in terms of getting Republicans to act.

Republicans aren't going to budge for some time yet on actual, serious investigations of Trump, but they do so at their own peril at this point. It's become extremely clear now that this stuff isn't popular with the general public. Plus, it'll only get harder to work on any legislative agenda with this floating around.
probably the latter, but its like a 30 minute flight. He could take the helicopter
Yeah, I looked. The runway there is rather short. Typically they go out of their way to use larger airport facilities, but this thing is literally 1 mile from the academy and there are no larger airports within a hour drive of there.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

It's already happened.

As of today their legislative agenda has come to a screeching halt. Paul Ryan is having to devote his time to agreeing that Comey needs to testify and the committees will continue their work.

Just think of how far we've come from the time when they were trying to completely shut these committees down.

And now you've got multiple Republican Representatives and Senators agreeing that, if true, this is very serious. Most of them are silent and too terrified to comment. A Republican used the word impeachment.

I'm still skeptical Trump gets impeached. But the Congress isn't getting shit done now. They're totally fucked.

It's too late for them. I firmly still believe most of the Republican elected officials hate Trump and intend to bail at a certain point if/when things get bad enough. But they've waited too long and overshot the mark.

Pixieking

Banned

I give it two hours til we're at Republicans circling back to "Take Trump seriously, not literally".

Blader

Are Ryan and McConnell even required?

I would think it just requires the ~25 republicans to sign a discharge petition and vote for it

Not that I want, or expect impeachment to happen

As unlikely as I see Republicans willing to impeach Trump, I think it's exponentially even more likely they do so in defiance of McConnell (in defiance of Ryan is probably more believable though :lol).

DonShula

At this point, I don't know that Pence will ever be any better for their purposes. Say they turn today, impeach, and get Pence. Or say they turn and Trump steps down. Either way Pence becomes president but the investigations don't go away. You eliminate the gaffe machine, but you don't eliminate the suspicion that Pence was complicit in all of this shady stuff. Dems will be after Pence (and Sessions and the rest) just as hard as they are Trump right now. Why would the GOP jump through hoops for what might be minimal gain?

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/864851686812200960

I do think the 1-2 punch of this week has changed the GOP's calculus a bit. But, they've also learned their lesson from Trump's sexual assault confession during the campaign. When that came out, they were revolted and thought they understood the politics, but got ahead of their base and had to backtrack. So now, they slow roll. The only metric that matters to them will remain their continued success in elections.

Saying nothing buys them time to see how bad the Comey memos are, and to see how serious the situation is heading into the mid terms. If the memo/leak situation gets uglier, that's bad enough. But the looming CBO score is getting lost in all of this, and it's just as bad (possibly worse) for Republicans. I think we're a long way from the floor, but at the end of the day the Special Elections remain the most powerful weapon the Democrats have in terms of getting Republicans to act.

Is there a date set yet for Comey's public testimony?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If he does not cause an international incident with something he says in that speech I will be quite surprised. This is an occasion for nuance which is something Trump has never heard of.
Trump even know what an "ance" is why would he need a new one?

Sahil Kapur‏Verified account @sahilkapur 3m3 minutes ago

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) wants to “wait and see” all the information on latest Trump allegations. “So far, pretty thin… Way overblown.”

Most senior R in the Senate, folks

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Most senior R in the Senate, folks

There has to be blackmail information someone has about all of these guys. They know they're going to destroy the reputation of the party for years.

Interfering in a federal investigation is not overblown.

Hindl

There has to be blackmail information someone has about all of these guys. They know they're going to destroy the reputation of the party for years.

Interfering in a federal investigation is not overblown.

They probably just figure maybe they'll lose the next 4 years, but it'll all blow over and the public will forget about it. 6 years after Nixon went down, Reagan and R's came back with a vengeance, and only 2 years after Bush left office with the economy destroyed, 2 unpopular wars, and several disasters in his Presidency, the country gave Republicans the House and several seats in the Senate. People have the memories of goldfish, Republicans can fuck up as much as they want, they know they'll get power back

Kusagari

I won't be surprised if Hatch knows Pence and Ryan are both implicated and just doesn't want to be president after all this shit drops.

They probably just figure maybe they'll lose the next 4 years, but it'll all blow over and the public will forget about it. 6 years after Nixon went down, Reagan and R's came back with a vengeance, and only 2 years after Bush left office with the economy destroyed, 2 unpopular wars, and several disasters in his Presidency, the country gave Republicans the House and several seats in the Senate. People have the memories of goldfish, Republicans can fuck up as much as they want, they know they'll get power back
There's two lessons we should take from the 94/10 waves. One, achieve something, two, know how to market it. Obama got a lot done but it was communicated poorly, Democrats put too much faith in the media to properly explain what ACA would do. We need to be out there Day 1 to counter any false narratives that surround any new reform bills. Clinton was much better at showboating but his first major legislative agenda item was a bust.

I mean the biggest problem is turnout, but I think a lot of that comes down to ignorance. Few people actually care what's on the ballot in midterm years, it's just the base voters for the out party want to do something. Not sure how we solve that because people need to want to be educated and I'm not convinced they do.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
There's two lessons we should take from the 94/10 waves. One, achieve something, two, know how to market it. Obama got a lot done but it was communicated poorly, Democrats put too much faith in the media to properly explain what ACA would do. We need to be out there Day 1 to counter any false narratives that surround any new reform bills. Clinton was much better at showboating but his first major legislative agenda item was a bust.

I mean the biggest problem is turnout, but I think a lot of that comes down to ignorance. Few people actually care what's on the ballot in midterm years, it's just the base voters for the out party want to do something.

The hope is that over the next several years Trump becomes so unpopular with anyone not at the absolute extreme right that simply overturning any bit of bullshit he did is a major PR win.

Which is exactly how Trump is staying popular with his base right now, but this would hopefully be like that on steroids.

Hatch is trolling. He has another quote where he says Trump is a winner.

It's this quote:

Sahil Kapur‏Verified account @sahilkapur 30m30 minutes ago

.@OrrinHatch on Bloomberg TV says Democrats “hate Donald Trump, and frankly I don’t see why. The guy is a winner. He’s a character.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom