• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

So Trump threw Rosenstein under the bus while Rosenstein was testifying to congress that Trump had already made up his mind about firing Comey.

From AHCA article:
"Unaware," said Representative Jeff Denham of California, with noticeable surprise Thursday, when advised that his party leaders still hadn’t sent the bill over to the Senate.
Didn't we all know that because this was reconciliation, if it wasn't budget neutral, it would end up going back to the House? Lol.

It's actually a pretty smart move by the GOP in the face of Trump tanking.

Act like you're really, for real, I mean it guys, for real, going to put Hillary in prison this time and get Trump's base to come out for that in the midterms.

It's the same goddamn attacking of phantom problems and not real problems that sent the GOP down the path to Dolt 45 in the first place.

Even if it's some kind of distraction ploy on his part, it's still offering up the same fucking Kool-Aid for everyone again.

Wilsongt

Where's the nightly oppo?!

The New York Times @nytimes

Rod Rosenstein said he knew the decision to fire James Comey was made before he wrote a justification

lol

@SenatorHeitkamp
"Not only did Ben the Intern forget to wear a suit again, but he spit in my coffee twice this morning."

@FreeBeacon
Caption Contest
DAHbgklUQAAtl-R.jpg

CoolOff

This Politico article about the connection between James Comey and Robert Mueller reads like a political thriller.

What Donald Trump Needs to Know About Bob Mueller and Jim Comey

Yet even amid the stress of that time, Comey didn't hesitate to force the issue of STELLAR WIND, standing up to the vice president. During one White House meeting, Comey said he couldn't find a legal basis for the program.

”Others see it differently," a scowling Cheney replied.

”The analysis is flawed—in fact, fatally flawed. No lawyer reading that could reasonably rely on it," Comey said, his hand sweeping across the table dismissively.

Cheney's counsel, the famously aggressive David Addington, standing in the back of the room, spoke up: ”Well, I'm a lawyer," he snapped, ”and I did."

Comey shot back, ”No good lawyer."

The room went silent.

Holy shit.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
From AHCA article:

Didn't we all know that because this was reconciliation, if it wasn't budget neutral, it would end up going back to the House? Lol.

Yes, but most of us were assuming it'd be after the senate fixes and passes it. I don't know why they want to hold onto it until the CBO score unless they don't want the senate to make any changes.

Or maybe it's just rules and procedures being weird.

I believe he'd sell out everyone(Except Ivanka maybe) if he's guaranteed not to be prosecuted. If he obstructed Comey there is probably more illegal stuff.

Exactly, he seems like the type of guy that once caught, will take as many down with him, raging all the way down. Just think of the tweets once the walls really start caving in on him.

Nordicus

This Politico article about the connection between James Comey and Robert Mueller reads like a political thriller.

What Donald Trump Needs to Know About Bob Mueller and Jim Comey
Holy shit.
This was my favorite bit:

The night of the STELLAR WIND showdown, Mueller arrived at the hospital moments after the White House aides departed after they were unable to get Comey or Ashcroft to reauthorize the program. Mueller spoke briefly with Comey in the hallway and then entered Ashcroft’s hospital room.

“Bob, I don’t know what’s happening,” the confused attorney general told him.

“There comes a time in every man’s life when he’s tested, and you passed your test tonight,” Mueller replied, comfortingly.

So is Benjamin Whites going on the shit list with Rick Wilson?

Because nothing big happened today?

I would say hold your horses on that. It's not as if he said "TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK, TODAY BITCHES"

If it was related to a news story dropping in the NY Times or Guardian or WaPo, something could have easily held up publication of a story. Same with network news.

jtb

Banned
Of course the Rs are pandering and posturing. Everyone knows Dems hate Lieberman and won't vote for him, but they'll play the petty "see, they won't accept anyone for FBI director!" card, especially since they know he was practically caucusing with the GOP by the end of his career.

Why do we even bother to take McCain's word at face value? Not only is he completely devoid of integrity, but Lieberman's one of his best friends and closest political allies anyways.

Diablos

This was my favorite bit:

The night of the STELLAR WIND showdown, Mueller arrived at the hospital moments after the White House aides departed after they were unable to get Comey or Ashcroft to reauthorize the program. Mueller spoke briefly with Comey in the hallway and then entered Ashcroft’s hospital room.

“Bob, I don’t know what’s happening,” the confused attorney general told him.

“There comes a time in every man’s life when he’s tested, and you passed your test tonight,” Mueller replied, comfortingly.
Damn.

Lol Trump administration trying to bribe insurers to support Trumpcare.

Another scandal that will get no attention

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-obamacare-trump-mismanagement-20170518-story.html

At one recent meeting, Seema Verma, whom Trump picked to oversee the federal Medicare and Medicaid programs, stunned insurance industry officials by suggesting a bargain: The administration would fund the CSRs if insurers supported the House Republican bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

“It made no sense,” said one official at the meeting.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It's a real shame that McCain, once a truly great man, has been allowed to so publicly wither and die on the vine.

That press conference with the Colombian president was embarrassing. The Colombian president speaks English as a second language better than Trump does.

Maledict

I remember when McCain thought Sarah Palin was more qualified to be VP than Lieberman.

To be fair, he didn't. He wanted Lieberman. The fact was had he picked Lieberman it would have wrecked the party and any chances of him ever winning. His staff and various republican luminaries persuaded he had to pick someone else.

And to those thinking Lieberman is a stupid pick, I would suggest that to most people it will seem like a fair and decent pick. They aren't going to know or care that he killed the public option in obamacare. The fact he supported the Iraq war is 15 years ago now, plus by this point who didn't whose recanted in some way? He was a democrat who was willing to support a republican because of his beliefs, and he ended his term as an independent. He's an extremely easy sale.

(I think he's fucking awful in every way, but just saying - I don't think this is as bad a pick as we think).

tbm24

To be fair, he didn't. He wanted Lieberman. The fact was had he picked Lieberman it would have wrecked the party and any chances of him ever winning. His staff and various republican luminaries persuaded he had to pick someone else.

And to those thinking Lieberman is a stupid pick, I would suggest that to most people it will seem like a fair and decent pick. They aren't going to know or care that he killed the public option in obamacare. The fact he supported the Iraq war is 15 years ago now, plus by this point who didn't whose recanted in some way? He was a democrat who was willing to support a republican because of his beliefs, and he ended his term as an independent. He's an extremely easy sale.

(I think he's fucking awful in every way, but just saying - I don't think this is as bad a pick as we think).
The fact that Palin was the better alternative pleases me greatly.

chadskin

White House Counsel Don McGahn and his team, one official said, is urging the White House – and Trump – to be cautious in its comments with a special prosecutor involved. McGahn has begun explaining to aides in detail about records retention and potential requests, two people familiar with the conversations say.

One objective: to keep Trump from hurting himself any further. Two senior administration officials said they believed Trump’s letter firing Comey was a mistake.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/18/trump-lawyers-white-house-238579?lo=ap_c2

Lol, good luck.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

The issue I have is his ties to that lawfirm.

jtb

Banned
This is what Wittes was talking about, I believe

Comey Is Said to Have Become Unsettled by Interactions With Trump
- NYT

Mr. Comey described all of his encounters with the president and the White House — including the phone call from Mr. Trump — in detailed memos he wrote at the time and gave to his aides. Congressional investigators have requested copies of the memos, which, according to two people who have read them, provide snapshots of a fraught relationship between a president trying to win over and influence an F.B.I. director, and someone who had built his reputation on asserting his independence, sometimes in a dramatic way.

”He had to throw some brushback pitches to the administration," Benjamin Wittes, a friend of Mr. Comey's, said in interviews.

Mr. Wittes, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, the editor in chief of the Lawfare blog and a frequent critic of Mr. Trump, recalls a lunch he had with Mr. Comey in March at which Mr. Comey told him he had spent the first two months of Mr. Trump's administration trying to preserve distance between the F.B.I. and the White House and educating it on the proper way to interact with the bureau.

Mr. Wittes said he never intended to publicly discuss his conversations with Mr. Comey. But after The New York Times reported earlier this month that shortly after his inauguration Mr. Trump asked Mr. Comey for a loyalty pledge, Mr. Wittes said he saw Mr. Trump's behavior in a ”more menacing light" and decided to speak out.

Mr. Wittes said that Mr. Comey told him that despite Mr. Trump's attempts to build a personal relationship, he did not want to be friendly with the president and thought any conversation with him or personal contact was inappropriate.

Their conversation took place after Mr. Comey's phone call with the president, Mr. Wittes said, and Mr. Comey told him that his relationship with the president and the White House staff was now in the right place.

Can someone explain what anti-anti-Trump means? How is that different from pro-trump?
Pro-Trump: you like the guy and support him.
Anti-anti-trump: you don't really like him but since liberals are after him and you can't stand liberals you defend him. Aka it's a sport.

I don't get the leverage the WH has here. Sure, they can withhold payments, but then the insurers can just sue, right?
I'm thinking it's illegal to do what the administration did.

Support our bill to get paid? Doesn't sound legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom