• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Mr.Shrugglesツ;237304566 said:
He said Santos answer was too long on the war on drugs. Walls work. Ask Israel.

I wish that wasn't real.

and then the told a reporting he was wrong on the recent news.
Too long! 😂

Walls work! America! Freedom! Bigly!
*accepts award for greatest presidentever*

Mike M

Nick N
Because the stories themselves are pretty tame most of the time. They just picked an artist who should have drawn for Lovecraft to do the illustrations. The stories literally include the hackneyed "driver tailgating you to warn you about a murderer in the back seat" and "the call is coming from inside the house" stories.

I've seen other versions of the stories with tamer art, and it completely skews how you perceive the stories.
Well yeah, they're anthologies of folklore and urban legends. Each book had a fairly extensive bibliography citing sources, origins, and variants as I recall.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Trump also just bashed the FBI and said Comey wasn't liked by many people.

Why does he keep doing this?

chadskin

DAHZHXxUMAAzMNW.jpg

Blader

"Flynn might be under the scrutiny of the FBI, Congress and pretty much all the US, but damnit I still want him one my team" - Trump, probably.

This should remove any doubt as to whether or not Trump will pardon Flynn when all is said and done.

Wasn't this bill reported to be even worse than the last one? That last one was a horror show.

I'm not sure how the amendments to the bill would've cause coverage losses to be even worse than the first version. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of uninsured actually drops below 24 million...but probably not much lower.

Kevinroc

Semi-Related.

"Health insurers and state officials say Trump is undermining Obamacare, pushing up rates"

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-obamacare-trump-mismanagement-20170518-story.html

At one recent meeting, Seema Verma, whom Trump picked to oversee the federal Medicare and Medicaid programs, stunned insurance industry officials by suggesting a bargain: The administration would fund the CSRs if insurers supported the House Republican bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

I'm not sure how the amendments to the bill would've cause coverage losses to be even worse than the first version. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of uninsured actually drops below 24 million...but probably not much lower.

Yeah, it might end up less than 24 million, just due to fucking over preexisting-condition people in favor of healthy people in certain states, so healthy people less inclined to drop/somewhat cheaper rates.

Joe

Nice find. I found the article here: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/166226886/

July 22, 1973

Nixon Sees 'Witch-Hunt; Sears Insiders Say
BY BOB WOODWARD and CARL BERNSTEIN

President Nixon and his top aides believe that the Senate 'Watergate hearings are unfair and constitute a "political witch-hunt," according to White House sources. The sources, said, that the President .in recent weeks had expressed bitterness and deep hostility toward the two-.morith-old proceedings. "The President sees the hearings as an attempt to get Richard Nixon and do it just damn unfairly," one source said.

According to four separate sources, the hostility toward the hearings is pervasive among the White House staff, especially among former assistants to H. R. Halde-man and John D. Ehrlich-man, the resigned top presidential aides. One White House source said he saw the struggle with the Senate Watergate committee as not just politics hut a battle for survival. "The Ervin committee is out to destroy the President," he said. The bitterness, according to the sources, extends to the point where some White House aides openly mock the members of the Senate committee. In a reference to Sen. Sam J. Ervin Jr. (D-N.C), the committee chairman, one White House aide put on a Southern accent and told a reporter: Baker Criticized "I just little ol' country bumpkin Sam and this nasty politics offends my pea-picking heart." The aide, who holds a middle-level position in the White House, then dropped the Southern accent and said that Ervin was "out to slice the President, and it offends me to see him come on so sweet when he isn't."

Another high White House aide said that Sen. Howard H. Baker Jr. (R-Tenh.), the committee vice chairman, "has effectively deserted the President and the resentment runs high over here, but the feeling is to keep our mouths shut . . . I'm not going to." Five White House aides agreed to discuss the individual members of the Watergate committee, and all said they found Sen. Lowell P. Weicker Jr. (R-Conn.), an outspoken critic of the White House, the most offensive. Two of the sources criticized Sen. Edward J. Gur-ney (R-Pla.), who is the strongest defender of the President. "Gurney is doing the only decent job of questioning," one source said, "but he is not pushing enough."

The latest survey included an analysis of intensity of approval and disapproval of the President's performance in office. This shows a sharply increased polarization of views since a similar survey taken two years ago. In the current, those who approve are divided about equally between those who approve strongly and those who approve "not so strongly." In contrast, those who said "not so strongly" in the earlier survey outweighed those who said-"strongly"- by more than a 2-1 ratio. On the disapproval side, the latest survey shows those who. express strong disapproval outweighing those who indicate mild disapproval by more than a 2-1 ratio. The earlier survey showed about equal proportions of people saying they disapprove strongly and "not so strongly."

To be clear, though, this is just the standard "party before country" position. No one wants to hurt the other party just 'cause. What Mitch McConnell tells himself is that what he's doing is best for the country long-term because the Democrats are just that bad. Massive obstruction under Obama to the point of shutting down the government and risking default had costs, yes, but it's "just a balance of that against what horrible things" the Democrats could do if they were more popular. Protecting Trump now is obviously not ideal, but if he goes down the Democrats are likely to do much better in upcoming elections and that's even worse, because the Democrats want terrible things.

I'm not saying that this line of thinking is always wrong, but it is what we're seeing when we wish that someone would instead put "country before party".

Yes, but I don't think this is what people usually mean exactly when they say "party over country" guides Republicans. For instance:

but it's "just a balance of that against what horrible things" the Democrats could do if they were more popular

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many people who would equivocate what Democrats "could do" to people versus what Republicans "could do" to people. The Democrats don't exactly create victims through their policies, which even most Republicans would agree with (they just don't think they create victims either, not that the Dems actively hurt people).

Now that's a different sort of "both sides see each other differently" argument, but I think it's closer to correct. Both sides are being utilitarian about their goals, but when people say the GOP puts party over country, they usually seem to be saying that the GOP will actively create victims. I don't really see that from Republicans talking about the Dems, even here in rural Mississippi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom