• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as a Chicagoan, there are definite disadvantages to only having one viable party, especially when a machine is involved. I'd still take this over living in a Republican dominated area for sure.

Speaking as a Chicagoan, there are definite disadvantages to only having one viable party, especially when a machine is involved. I'd still take this over living in a Republican dominated area for sure.

It's not just Chicago, Madigan's not exactly farting roses down in Springfield. There is a fundamental problem with only one party being serious about the "actually taking care of people and providing services" part of government, while the other is stuck in privatization, low tax la la land.

I'm certainly no fan of Michael Madigan. Of course when Bruce Rauner's idea of standing up to him is demanding that Illinois be turned into Scott Walker's Wisconsin...

I'm certainly no fan of Michael Madigan. Of course when Bruce Rauner's idea of standing up to him is demanding that Illinois be turned into Scott Walker's Wisconsin...

Rauner is a dummy. The establishment GOP should have been holding him up as the kind of incompetent, clueless disaster you get when you elect a businessman with no actual political acumen to high office.

sazzy

because this tweet says it better than I can..

ZHAY7Dk.png

NY AD-09

Pellegrino (D, WFP): 57.89%
Gargiulo (R, C, I): 41.93%

D+15.96%

Trump: 59.96%
Clinton: 36.87%

R+23.09%

Romney: 55.49%
Obama: 43.39%

R+12.10%

This was a 39.05% swing from the 2016 presidential result, and a 28.06% swing from 2012.

Insane.

NY AD-09

Pellegrino (D, WFP): 57.89%
Gargiulo (R, C, I): 41.93%

D+15.96%

Trump: 59.96%
Clinton: 36.87%

R+23.09%

Romney: 55.49%
Obama: 43.39%

R+12.10%

This was a 39.05% swing from the 2016 presidential result, and a 28.06% swing from 2012.

Insane.
I've crunched the numbers - if there was a uniform swing of 39 points from 2016, we would win 476 U.S. House seats and 107 U.S. Senate seats.

You heard me.

Edit: We'd swing 172 seats. For a majority of 366 seats. Consider your expectations set.

Montana:

https://decisiondeskhq.com/upcoming-races/montana-early-voting-updated-523/

As of last night, the state reported 238,320 of 354,681 mailed ballots have been returned. That tally is 106% of 2014's total mailed absentees, and 71% of 2016's. Over 71% of the vote in Montana is concentrated in 9 counties. Here's how their returns stack up:

County (2016 Presidential vote, Gubernatorial vote) % returned

Cascade (voted for Trump by 22%, Bullock by 10%) 65.4% of mail-ins returned

Flathead (voted for Trump by 36%, Gianforte by 15%) 67.4% of mail-ins returned

Gallatin (voted for Clinton by 1%, Bullock by 15%) 62.5% of mail-ins returned

Lake (voted for Trump by 21%, Bullock by 1%) 71.6% of mail-ins returned

Lewis & Clark (voted for Trump by 7%, Bullock by 23%) 71.1% of mail-ins returned

Missoula (voted for Clinton by 16%, Bullock by 34%) 62.3% of mail-ins returned

Ravalli (voted for Trump by 38% Gianforte by 14%) 73.4% of mail-ins returned

Silver Bow (voted for Clinton by 14%, Bullock by 44%) 69.6% of mail-ins returned

Yellowstone (voted for Trump by 27%, Gianforte by 1%) 68.1% of mail-ins returned

Overall, 67.2% of mailed absentees have been turned in. For comparison, in 2016, 94.8% of absentees sent were returned, in 2014, 88.7%, and in 2012, 92.2%. We expect a considerable number will flood in tomorrow and thousands more will likely be dropped off at election offices and precincts by the deadline.

Yellowstone, the largest county in the state by population, and typically a Republican one, still has not exceeded its 2014 mail-ins, but a pile of large counties have blown past midterm numbers: Ravalli is at 120% of its 2014 tally, Lewis and Clark 118%, Gallatin 115%, Flathead 113%, and Missoula 109%. All mail-ins must be received by Thursday, May 25th.

I don't really see anything of note here.

pop of each county:

Yellowstone: 155,634
Missoula: 112,684
Gallatin: 97,308
Flathead: 94,924
Cascade: 82,344
Lewis and Clark: 65,856
Ravalli: 41,030
Silver Bow: 34,680
Lake: 29,099

You guys are being mean to Donald. If Obama writes that letter, it's insulting because he's an intellectual. Give the slower prez a break guys. He also just got back from the Middle East so I'm sure he was still anxious. The

adg1034

I've crunched the numbers - if there was a uniform swing of 39 points from 2016, we would win 476 U.S. House seats and 107 U.S. Senate seats.

You heard me.

-Aaron Strife, founder and editor-in-chief of FiveEightyThree.

Okay, FiveEightySix when you include DC. But who's counting.

teiresias

You heard me.

Edit: We'd swing 172 seats. For a majority of 366 seats. Consider your expectations set.

I'm convinced. If we don't win veto-proof majorities in 2018 I'm calling for Stein to primary Pelosi.

mo60

You heard me.

I know that you are probably joking but even with a uniform swing that large there will still be some republicans districts even if there was a 39 point swing in favour of democrats. A lot of these republican district would pretty much be in the deep south in states like AL, MS and etc.They would likely be winning these districts by 5 to 10 points or even less. You can possibly swing the districts where the republican won by 10, 20, 30, 40 and maybe even 50 and 60 and 70 points with a uniform swing that large.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Did you think one Gorka in the administration was too many? How about two?

DHS hires Gorka's wife for top advisory role
The wife of President Trump's top anti-terror adviser, Sebastian Gorka, has been hired as an adviser to the Department of Homeland Security's chief of staff, according to documents obtained by a watchdog group.

Katherine Gorka will serve as an adviser to the agency's chief of staff in a permanent role, according to the American Oversight group.

Gorka has criticized the agency extensively in her work in the private sector. During the Obama administration, Gorka blasted the agency for teaching employees that Islam is a religion of peace.

"Not only is the war against the Islamist threat not being won, it is not even being fought," Gorka wrote at the time.

Gorka says that Obama's counterterrorism policies have "driven many of today’s experts underground."

Gattsu25

Banned
It was going to be an animated show, right?

Edit: from the link:
In a joint statement, Stewart and the network said they have decided not to proceed with a short-form digital animated project due to "technical issues."

"We all thought the project had great potential but there were technical issues in terms of production and distribution that proved too difficult given the quick turnaround and topical nature of the material," they said.​

I enjoy Last Week Tonight more than I ever enjoyed The Daily Show With Jon Stewart.
Yep.

Thirded.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I enjoy Last Week Tonight more than I ever enjoyed The Daily Show With Jon Stewart.

Jon Stewart on his worst day >>>>>>> John Oliver on his best

The "yelling at fake people" stuff he does is the worst. I don't mind the show itself, but the man is intolerable. Everyone has their moments, but much of Stewart's humor was subtle and smart. Oliver's is like getting beaten with a bag of oranges. In case you didn't get the joke, he's going to yell and swear immediately after so you have another chance. Oliver is like the kid in high school who had some decent humor but would almost always ruin the moment by following it with something rude and obnoxious. I feel like people have fallen under the "Oh it's on HBO so it must be smart!" mindset with his style of humor.

Last week tonight is informative and they do good issue awareness stuff but it's also pretty unfunny. Oliver doesn't have half of Stewart's comedy chops, or if he does, he's not using them.

Honestly the funniest part of TDS was the correspondents. I never found Stewart that funny especially towards the end where it felt like he was just running through the motions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom