• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I think that Sam Bee is really the true spiritual successor to John Stewart and should have gotten the Daily Show instead of Noah.

Trevor Noah just doesn't have that fire she does because he's somewhat detached from what's currently happening. He doesn't have the righteous fury you can feel coming from Bee. Oliver has a little of this but again, it just feels more real from Full Frontal.

This climate is not good for a lot of people. In a less troubling time Noah and Fallon would be gold

Full Frontal benefits from being once per week.

Stewart was the best political comedian because he was somewhat savvy about the larger flaws in the political system and American psyche that allowed the GOP craziness to flower, which is why he didn't shy away from skewering Dems when they, too, fucked up (that and he had a lot of hours to fill).

Because I feel like potentially getting heat today
Not really
:
I like Oliver a lot. His comedy style is often up my ally, although I'm not too keen on the fake yelling at fake people, I don't find it nearly as pervasive as others here.

John Stewart is right up there with Oliver, with Cobert a close third, I really like his monologues.

Bee and Noah though I don't really take to. The problem I have with Bee is she seems more snark than comedy and that's not what I'm looking for with these types of shows. Noah is okay, but his material and delivery are often weak. Fallon is a good source of political commentary. I kinda agree with the above sentiment that it's a hard climate we're in. If America wasn't in such a nasty, precarious position he'd probably be okay. The sort of "every man funny man" where no one is really insulted by his mediocre antics.

Trouble is Fallon wants to ride a line between Democrats and Republicans, as if he can stay in the middle and remain appealing to everyone. I think the unfortunate truth is that with where we're headed everyone is going to be forced to pick a side and if they haven't, that choice will be made for them. Fallon just isn't the type of guy made for this kind of atmosphere.

Greg Sargent‏Verified account @ThePlumLineGS 37m37 minutes ago

I've obtained new Kaiser polling:

42% of Trump voters say they or their families rely on Medicaid

Large majorities of them oppose cuts:

The GOP coalition of super-rich libertarians and poor white nationalists dependent on government aid is the least sustainable thing possible.

kess

Jon Stewart on his worst day >>>>>>> John Oliver on his best

The "yelling at fake people" stuff he does is the worst. I don't mind the show itself, but the man is intolerable. Everyone has their moments, but much of Stewart's humor was subtle and smart. Oliver's is like getting beaten with a bag of oranges. In case you didn't get the joke, he's going to yell and swear immediately after so you have another chance. Oliver is like the kid in high school who had some decent humor but would almost always ruin the moment by following it with something rude and obnoxious. I feel like people have fallen under the "Oh it's on HBO so it must be smart!" mindset with his style of humor.

I think part of Stewart's appeal was that he could act out outrage better than any talking head on television, because, unlike an O'Reilly, Hannity, or Carlson, Stewart actually seemed aggrieved and angry about being outraged in the first place. Because he probably is.

By the way, the so-called "Independent Democratic Conference" that gave the Republicans the NY State House should be fucking terrified. Willfully caucusing with Republicans in the Age of Trump is the kiss of electoral death, and their seats will be prime targets for a primary challenge.

18581994_1323379661076400_8457173511538910758_n.jpg

thatsdamngood.jpg

dramatis

By the way, the so-called "Independent Democratic Conference" that gave the Republicans the NY State House should be fucking terrified. Willfully caucusing with Republicans in the Age of Trump is the kiss of electoral death, and their seats will be prime targets for a primary challenge.
Maybe my district can finally get rid of the Republican NY Senator it had since 2002

This guy survived 2008 and 2016 by being the only guy on the ballot...

The GOP coalition of super-rich libertarians and poor white nationalists dependent on government aid is the least sustainable thing possible.
If Trump got his budget passed he'd be lucky to crack 30% in the next election's popular vote (assuming he wasn't removed from office already).

Yes, yes, he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue etc etc but you can't really gauge something like that until it happens. And if people start literally dying on the streets because they have no jobs and no safety net while Trump is out there grinning like an idiot talking about how he made America great again, there would be a huge backlash that not even a mutual hatred of black people could overcome.

Kind of hope he does make it to re-election and gets utterly annihilated, he'll still carry around that stupid map of the 2016 Electoral College like a high school washup who never got over his football career.

Slayven

Fallon. As in Jimmy Fallon?
Is not gold. In any time period or reality branch.
What is shit cannot unshit.

I question your taste level.

Seriously, Fallon? He's the definition of fluff.

Gold as in being doing better in their positions. Ratings wise, look at the Obama years. Jeff Dunham and Larry The Cable Guy got very rich when people were more or less at peace. There is a market for the comedy equivalent of elevator music.

Ernest

Banned
We're all agreed that Colbert blows all the other full-size 5-a-week late night shows out of the water, right?
He's gotten better on his CBS show from when he started, but he's nowhere near the heights he reached on his Comedy Central show.

I think the tired Carson format (monologue, house-band, interviews, etc) is a hindrance to his style.

He's gotten better on his CBS show from when he started, but he's nowhere near the heights he reached on his Comedy Central show.

I think the tired Carson format (monologue, house-band, interviews, etc) is a hindrance to his style.
Yeah the tonight show format doesn't work for him but I must say the cockholster segment was peak Colbert. He must stay there.

Blader

How weird, I was just about to make a post today about how I really like Oliver's show for his news reporting (or whatever he wants to call) and in-depth stories, but find the jokes far and away the worst part. They're almost always unfunny. I wonder if intentionally injects bad jokes into the show as a way to defray attention as a genuine investigative news outlet and can keep up the banner of being a comedy show.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stewart talked; Bee and Oliver lecture.

As someone in his 30s, my read:

Stewart lectured, but it's been a number of years since he was really like that and you either don't remember it or agreed with it at the time.

Bee lectures

Oliver started out talking, but quickly veered into lecturing when he understandably started caring more about Trump than his original focus of spotlighting important bipartisan issues

Hahahahaha, how stupid can the Trump Admin be? Like, Catholic's are rigidly against Divorce to the point where an entire country changed religion because of it.

Seriously, I think the biggest blessing of the Trump Admin is that they're all a bunch of idiots. Can you imagine how fucked we'd be if they were actually smart?

Pixieking

Banned
Oliver started out talking, but quickly veered into lecturing when he understandably started caring more about Trump than his original focus of spotlighting important bipartisan issues

*nods* Can't comment on Stewart (who I barely watch/watched), or Bee (who I find too one-note to have watched more than one or two episodes of), but this is about the size of it with Oliver. His first episode post-election day had him just shell-shocked, and he definitely looked like a lot of us felt. Since then, he's become far more passionate about politics and the direction the US is going. Even Brexit didn't seem to phase him as much as Hillary losing, and he's definitely moved towards using his show as a way to highlight stuff he feels strongly about, as opposed to "random stuff you don't know about by the way here's some laughs".

This all reminds me of this piece from late last year...

NEWARK — As the two late-night comedians sat across from each other onstage at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center here on Saturday night, Stephen Colbert asked John Oliver why he had not yet been given a commitment for four more seasons.

[...]

This live conversation, which was booked several weeks ago and billed with the title ”Wow, That Was Weird: A Post-Election Evening With Stephen Colbert and John Oliver,"

Hindl

Colbert going from "eh" to "Mega Thunderzord" last year was awesome
Yeah it sucked starting out because you could tell CBS was neutering him and he was uncomfortable with it. But once Trump got elected they gave him some rope to go wild and he ran with it.

I like Colbert the best, I think he's the easily the best performer out of any of them and he's got a lightning-quick wit. His off-the-cuff remarks are amazingly good.

I bet Mustaine voted for Trump

Metal is weird because it's both viciously anti-religion and toxically masculine. It's also overwhelmingly white and male so it's the closest thing I can think of that fits a centrist culture by being extreme on both sides instead of not being extreme in either direction.

I bet Mustaine voted for Trump

110%.

Metal is weird because it's both viciously anti-religion and toxically masculine. It's also overwhelmingly white and male so it's the closest thing I can think of that fits a centrist culture by being extreme on both sides instead of not being extreme in either direction.

Maybe it's cause I live in SoCal, but the Mexican metal scene is pretty huge out here.

Blader

There was an article a few days ago about how most Trump supporters don't believe Trump actually said he fired Comey over the Russia probe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom