• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy that only 55% say he did the thing he literally said he did.
Trump supporters have such a childlike naivete about them, it's embarrassing.

Young liberals certainly project perfection onto candidates like Obama or Sanders, but most rank-and-file Democrats seem to have a fairly realistic assessment of Democratic candidates, hence being ok with candidates like Kerry or Clinton. Republicans are on a whole other level of delusion.

Doesn't apply to just candidates either, I've repeated stuff Limbaugh or Coulter etc. have said verbatim and it's always met with "DRRRRHGH THEY NEVER SAID THAT!"

18581994_1323379661076400_8457173511538910758_n.jpg

Perfect it's too bad Megadeth doesn't do politics anymore. It should really be a Dethklok cover instead.

Can I put a bet down on Mustaine voting for Trump, because that's easy money!

Can you imagine the freakouts if Obama or Clinton were in this picture instead?

Speaking of betting money, I imagine there were some big losses with Predictit. Anyone care to tell how bad their damage was, or maybe if they cleaned up with Trump?

Can I put a bet down on Mustaine voting for Trump, because that's easy money!

Can you imagine the freakouts if Obama or Clinton were in this picture instead?

Speaking of betting money, I imagine there were some big losses with Predictit. Anyone care to tell how bad their damage was, or maybe if they cleaned up with Trump?

$350.

It hurt a whole lot.

I should have bet on Trump as a hedge against reality. So that at least I could take some comfort that I made a lot of money on the doomsday scenario coming true.

broz0rs

No love for Jimmy Kimmel? I think I like him more than Colbert because Kimmel can get snarky as hell sometimes and I love that in a late night comedy host. Plus, he's a huge troll. Fallon is the worst I've seen since Craig Kilbourne

Blader

From what I understand, they haven't even really gotten much done as far as even writing this.

I don't think they even want to do it and are just sort of pushing it off as much as possible. Maybe they hope the CBO will kill it.

They're not into the AHCA as is anyway, and said almost immediately after Ryan passed the bill that they'd be starting from scratch.

Of course, if the CBO report keeps AHCA from still getting out of the House, then the Senate still can't do anything anyway.

kirblar

Translation: We really aren't working on a health care bill.
From what I understand, they haven't even really gotten much done as far as even writing this.

I don't think they even want to do it and are just sort of pushing it off as much as possible. Maybe they hope the CBO will kill it.
Exactly. They know its poison and don't want to touch it.

They're not into the AHCA as is anyway, and said almost immediately after Ryan passed the bill that they'd be starting from scratch.

Of course, if the CBO report keeps AHCA from still getting out of the House, then the Senate still can't do anything anyway.

There's no indication they've even started writing it from scratch. It's been almost a month.

I don't think there's anything more than a memo on McConnell's desk with some notes and with the Russian stuff going on, Republicans losing special elections and the unpopularity of the bill, there doesn't really to be any reason to work on it. Trump got his pat on the head already, he probably doesn't really care that much (and he has MUCH bigger stuff to worry about right now)

I still don't understand the point of even passing it by the House in the first place. To give people the idea that they "won"? On something that was despised by 83% of the population? To appease Trump's ego?

I think its becoming more and more clear that Trump and these bonehead moves are starting to give the GOP the willies in terms of elections.

kirblar

I still don't understand the point of even passing it by the House in the first place. To give people the idea that they "won"? On something that was despised by 83% of the population? To appease Trump's ego?

I think its becoming more and more clear that Trump and these bonehead moves are starting to give the GOP the willies in terms of elections.
The move was done entirely to make Trump happy by giving him a "victory".

That's it. That's literally the only reason. The narcissistic manchild wanted a birthday party.

Trump got his pat on the head already, he probably doesn't really care that much (and he has MUCH bigger stuff to worry about right now)

He'll care if it gets sent back down to the house. It might be in private, but he'll care. He cared a lot about not getting anything he wanted out of the CR. Having Trumpcare go back to the house will be just as, if not more, embarrassing. It will be a big topic during the news Cycle.

jmdajr

Metal is weird because it's both viciously anti-religion and toxically masculine. It's also overwhelmingly white and male so it's the closest thing I can think of that fits a centrist culture by being extreme on both sides instead of not being extreme in either direction.

Going to Blabbermouth.net I was horrified by the comments I saw. I mean I always knew fans were intolerant of other music, but didn't know how far that went.

Disappointment.

I think this way they can go back to their base and say they passed Obamacare repeal, and can try to blame Democratic senators for its failure. If they hadn't done this, they wouldn't have been able to deny their own incompetence to the base. I don't think appeasing Trump was the main driver.

I think this way they can go back to their base and say they passed Obamacare repeal, and can try to blame Democratic senators for its failure. If they hadn't done this, they wouldn't have been able to deny their own incompetence to the base. I don't think appeasing Trump was the main driver.

But their base is never going to abandon them. Like what will they do, vote Democrat? It just seems so dumb.

Oh and FYI, unrelated, my wife works for the CDC and they had an all hands meeting this morning that the President's budget would reduce their budget by 17%. I know Trump's budget won't go through but once again, FUCK Trump for putting people through shit like this.

gaugebozo

It's becoming clear his "negotiating tactic" of asking for outrageous things at first is completely stupid for the political arena. This isn't a closely guarded discussion between C-suites at two companies. A major part of policy is selling it to the public. Coming on strong poisons the well on anything you try to do in the future.

"Oh, he's NOT going to build an old person kicking machine? I still think I'll pass on this one."

With a bill 80% of people dislike, "blaming" the Democrats for it not passing will backfire, badly. Democrats are already positioning themselves as the saviors of healthcare.

Vimes

Sam Bee is the hero I need right now. Some of the jokes her writers come up with are just outright savage.

Full Frontal makes me feel like the Daily Show was just holding her back.

pmybA5O.gif

I remember when we were wondering what it would take for Trump to go consistently under 40%.

Now I wonder what could possibly happen to get him back over that.

I'm amazed it's still at high 30s with all the Comey/Russia news.

If Clinton had done it, would she still be in the high 30s?

How can you blame dems if they're trying and failing to pass something through reconciliation? Pass a bill making real changes that require 60 votes, send it to the Senate and wait for Dems to filibuster if you want to pass the blame.

I'm amazed it's still at high 30s with all the Comey/Russia news.

If Clinton had done it, would she still be in the high 30s?

Considering the economy is doing well enough, I'm more amazed the numbers have plummeted this far so fast. All of this is being driven by his scandals and AHCA drama.

mo60

If Trump got his budget passed he'd be lucky to crack 30% in the next election's popular vote (assuming he wasn't removed from office already).

Yes, yes, he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue etc etc but you can't really gauge something like that until it happens. And if people start literally dying on the streets because they have no jobs and no safety net while Trump is out there grinning like an idiot talking about how he made America great again, there would be a huge backlash that not even a mutual hatred of black people could overcome.

Kind of hope he does make it to re-election and gets utterly annihilated, he'll still carry around that stupid map of the 2016 Electoral College like a high school washup who never got over his football career.

Trump's not going to lose the next election 70%-30%. Is a landslide possible in 2020 for the democrats. Yes, but it won't be an insanely large landslide if it does happen.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
At least Trump has made reaction gifs great again. There's been so many great ones this last week

giphy.gif

Ogodei

But their base is never going to abandon them. Like what will they do, vote Democrat? It just seems so dumb.

Oh and FYI, unrelated, my wife works for the CDC and they had an all hands meeting this morning that the President's budget would reduce their budget by 17%. I know Trump's budget won't go through but once again, FUCK Trump for putting people through shit like this.

But they don't need the base as a whole to flip: there are 43 seats, per Cook PVI, that are GOP held but are less than R+5 as a whole. All other things being equal, a 5-point swing in turnout would add 43 seats (plus 5 seats that are GOP-held but in D 2-5 or D 5-10 districts), assuming that Dems lose the 2 seats they hold in hard-R districts, that's still a 46-seat swing with a fairly small, 5-point shift in voter preference.

Blader

There's no indication they've even started writing it from scratch. It's been almost a month.

I don't think there's anything more than a memo on McConnell's desk with some notes and with the Russian stuff going on, Republicans losing special elections and the unpopularity of the bill, there doesn't really to be any reason to work on it. Trump got his pat on the head already, he probably doesn't really care that much (and he has MUCH bigger stuff to worry about right now)

It was less than 3 weeks ago. I should know, they passed the bill on my birthday. :lol

They can't start writing their own bill until the House sends the AHCA to them. The House has not done that yet, to seemingly most Republicans' surprise. That working group is probably putting together notes and squaring (or attempting to square) ideological and policy disagreements. The AHCA's unpopularity is a moot point because many Senate Rs don't want to start from that anyway.

They will primary them, as they've been doing for the last 7 years.

This feels like really good news for Ossoff.
Interesting, so pretty much everyone who disapproves of Trump like actually fucking hates him.

With Obama I always felt like there was this chunk of tepid disapproval who wanted to like him but wouldn't give him a thumb's up because of the economy, or healthcare or whatever, but Trump will never have that.

I think a significant chunk of their base might stay home if the GOP never passed a Obamacare repeal out of the House, yes. I think passing even a shitty bill takes some pressure off there, even if it is a terrible bill that eventually fails. For the moment they were more scared of a discouraged base than fired-up Democrats. Now they can go back to their districts and the water is muddier. They're still very likely to hit a bad outcome, but I don't think that's an insane calculation.

Interesting, so pretty much everyone who disapproves of Trump like actually fucking hates him.

With Obama I always felt like there was this chunk of tepid disapproval who wanted to like him but wouldn't give him a thumb's up because of the economy, or healthcare or whatever, but Trump will never have that.

Not when he ran specifically of appealing to the base of the base.

It's becoming clear his "negotiating tactic" of asking for outrageous things at first is completely stupid for the political arena. This isn't a closely guarded discussion between C-suites at two companies. A major part of policy is selling it to the public. Coming on strong poisons the well on anything you try to do in the future.

Yup. I doubt all the armchair strategists on the internet who think Democrats should adopt this strategy will notice though.

Slacker

I think a significant chunk of their base might stay home if the GOP never passed a Obamacare repeal out of the House, yes. I think passing even a shitty bill takes some pressure off there, even if it is a terrible bill that eventually fails. For the moment they were more scared of a discouraged base than fired-up Democrats. Now they can go back to their districts and the water is muddier. They're still very likely to hit a bad outcome, but I don't think that's an insane calculation.

Maybe they will try to educate their base on the issues instead of lying to them constantly in a short-sighted effort to stay in power and line their pockets. LOL just kiddin'.

kirblar

Yup. I doubt all the armchair strategists on the internet who think Democrats should adopt this strategy will notice though.
It reminds me of the "$15 is just a negotiating tactic!" claims that ignored that no, that campaign is/was quite serious about that point and was only targeting well-off cities.

That type of negotiation isn't how things work in politics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It reminds me of the "$15 is just a negotiating tactic!" claims that ignored that no, that campaign is/was quite serious about that point and was only targeting well-off cities.

That type of negotiation isn't how things work in politics.

That sort of negotiation only works in a 1v1 setting when both sides want a deal. That's not politics at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom