• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
OECD and European Commission data includes social security payroll taxes. Not sure if the World Bank statistic does.

OECD includes transfers - e.g., spending on welfare security and taxation on income, even though they're neither consumption nor capital expenditure (the government hasn't acquired an asset nor purchased a product, it's just moved money from one person to another). The World Bank does not. As an exaggerated example, if you had a government which taxed 100% of all incomes, but then gave out benefits exactly in proportion to what everyone's original income was, this would show up as 100% for the OECD statistics and 0% for the World Bank.

The difference between the OECD and World Bank figures is roughly speaking the size of the welfare state in that country. The actual French state spending itself, in terms of spending on bureaucrats, roads and other infrastructure, teachers' salaries, the military, etc. is pretty normal for a developed economy. Transfers are indeed very high relative to other OECD nations, but the largest part of that is because France's taxation system is grossly Byzantine - 100.1bn Euros were spent on tax abatements and repayments. Instead of taxing people the sensible amount, the taxation laws hit all the wrong people, and then the state has to give money back. You can solve that without affecting the welfare state, you just need to seriously address the tax codes.

Macron is actually proposing making this problem worse, by offering yet more tax credits and abatements to companies that can navigate the legal system, instead of trying to reduce tax credits and abatements as part of a more general simplification of the system.

chadskin

The oppo-ium is coming in early today

Sources: Russians discussed potentially 'derogatory' information about Trump and associates during campaign
Russian government officials discussed having potentially "derogatory" information about then-presidential candidate Donald Trump and some of his top aides in conversations intercepted by US intelligence during the 2016 election, according to two former intelligence officials and a congressional source.

One source described the information as financial in nature and said the discussion centered on whether the Russians had leverage over Trump's inner circle. The source said the intercepted communications suggested to US intelligence that Russians believed "they had the ability to influence the administration through the derogatory information."
But the sources, privy to the descriptions of the communications written by US intelligence, cautioned the Russian claims to one another "could have been exaggerated or even made up" as part of a disinformation campaign that the Russians did during the election.

FyreWulff

oh yes, let's just start a trade war with germany (and therefor the EU). why the sudden bug up his ass about Germany? Was it something Bannon said to him?

Apathy

Before leaving for work CNN had a small clip of their interview they did with the same trump supporters they keep interviewing to see what they think about his performance. Holy shit those people live in a world of delusion. One old bearded dude that looks like the n word just rolls off his tongue on a daily basis is going on how as a Christian he finally feels like he isn't being oppressed and that it's only been 4 months, that trump needs more time and support to make America great again. Holy fuck.

My god all the winning:

CBS This Morning‏Verified account @CBSThisMorning 12m12 minutes ago
JUST IN: @CBSNews has confirmed the White House has ousted communications chief Mike Dubke

Bradd Jaffy‏Verified account
@BraddJaffy

NBC News confirms White House comms director Mike Dubke is leaving after just 3 months; he submitted resignation letter, @kwelkernbc reports

tbm24

Before leaving for work CNN had a small clip of their interview they did with the same trump supporters they keep interviewing to see what they think about his performance. Holy shit those people live in a world of delusion. One old bearded dude that looks like the n word just rolls off his tongue on a daily basis is going on how as a Christian he finally feels like he isn't being oppressed and that it's only been 4 months, that trump needs more time and support to make America great again. Holy fuck.
Well, like an upstanding Christian, he's been waiting for a president to come around and let him know how much better he is than the brown people religion.

royalan

Just a daily reminder of Fuck Sean Spicer.

When he goes out there and pushes lies about the Trump administration and a "healthcare" bill that will rob millions of people of their healthcare and likely be a death sentence for many, he's nothing but trash like the rest of them.

And that doesn't change because he gets out there and looks absolutely pathetic every day.

I haven't really looked closely into what Macron is planning to do. But adding more convolution to an apparently already convoluted tax system doesn't seem wise.

I don't really think he ever billed himself as being on the left (or the right) though. So I mean I imagine the further left (or right) one is the less the platform is meant to appeal.

I can only find pre-Presidential election summaries of his platform, but they seem pretty vanilla at face value. I don't know enough about the merging of a whole bunch of pension schemes to know if this is apparently a net good or bad and that's apparently the most controversial policy. I'm assuming public pensions are more generous than private, and this is some sort of stealth pension reduction reform.

Other than that the most galling for the left is presumably enabling individual employment agreement negotiations, and eliminating public sector jobs by attrition. And I guess reduction in corporate tax rate.

So I do get why people shouldn't like his platform. (But I don't know of that would be to the point of like eww Maggie Thatcher revulsion or anything.)

Wilsongt

Well, oppo droppo was quiet last week. Now that Trump has his phone back I guess it will resume full force to really show him what Fake News is.

Geist-

To see how quickly everything can turn south and how little resistance people really start displaying until it's too late. Just feels way too familiar with our current situation.
It's not comparable. It's a great show, but it had to use a lot of deus ex machinas to get the world to look like it does in the show.

And besides, Trump and Co. just don't have the public support to stage a coup even if that was part of their plan. Unlike Erdogan, Trump is pretty disliked by the majority of his own citizens.

RDreamer

@realDonaldTrump
The U.S. Senate should switch to 51 votes, immediately, and get Healthcare and TAX CUTS approved, fast and easy. Dems would do it, no doubt!

But... if the dems would do it then why do you need to lower it to 51 votes?

RDreamer

He means Dems would nuke the legislative filibuster if they were in the same position.

Except of course they didn't when they were.

Ooooh. That makes more sense lol.

On the bright side maybe they get rid of the legislative filibuster, then he tanks healthcare completely, gets ousted come 2020 and the dems push through medicare for all much easier.

Kevinroc

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/335353-gop-leader-tempers-obamacare-expectations

Something that may have slipped under the radar in the Senate's GOP Trumpcare bill discussions.

The legislation that passed the House earlier this month cannot pass the Senate, Republicans in the upper chamber say.

Yet Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn (Texas) told reporters this past week that the Senate bill will overlap the House bill by as much as 70 or 80 percent.

They're gonna put their own "Upton" to ram this bill through the Senate, aren't they?

Teggy

@txmockingjay

@realDonaldTrump has gained over 5 mil followers in less than 3 days. Take a look- mostly bots. He's getting ready for something.

#resist
11:04 PM · May 29, 2017

I'm not sure why they think this means something, but it's weird.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

MvrDVCn.gif

They just set up a war room to deal with the Russia stories, this may be related to that. I could see them purchasing a bot army to drown out negative news trends on twitter and push their own narratives.

studyguy

I'm sure many a legislator would shit themselves at the prospect of the legislative filibuster going up in flames. The majority governing party having full unadulterated control would be catastrophic the moment the pendulum swings to the opposing party, not to mention the idea that legislators would be okay with taking the full brunt of blame for failed legislation due to their own party incompetence vs blaming not being able to cross the aisle is laughable.

I'd eat a shoe if it ever went away, but all the same just be glad that legislators are too chickenshit to be pinned to the wall on responsibility when it comes to bills passing or failing.

But hey, legislative filibuster means single payer is the law of the land eventually. GOP knows this.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Fox News person trying to say what is happening against Trump is a permanent obstruction campaign.

Lol.
It basically is permanent obstruction when the senate minority leader announces he will obstruct any initiative by president to keep him from being successful:
"The single most important thing we want to achieve is for [the President] to be a one-term president."
-Mitch McConnell, Oct 23. 2010

Oh wait.

Edit:
Talk to Mitch McConnell about what that really is
Damnit diablos!

Extra Extra! Devin Nunes continues to be a giant shit!

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/869546685176926209

E: Oh My God, the Twitter Account for Ukraine just posted the Simpsons Soviet Union Gif against Russia

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/869532150760165377

People need to read that Nunes article. It's full of wonderful tidbits like this one:

LA Times said:
Nunes made the comments while introducing conservative commentator Dinesh D'Souza at the fundraising dinner, held just one day after he stepped away from leading the House Select Intelligence Committee's probe.

If you are going to be speaking about your innocence, maybe don;t do it while you are warmly introducing a convicted felon.

LA Times said:
"For the LA Times to tout comments I made in front of 700 people, which attendees broadcasted on Facebook Live and which reflected themes I've discussed repeatedly this year, as some sort of unique revelation is the epitome of lazy reporting and fake news," he said.

FAKE NEWS! I meant to get caught saying stupid shit.

LA Times said:
Nunes said that because of the ongoing Russia investigation, and questions of what ties the Trump campaign may have had to what happened, he didn't think what he found would be given to Trump unless he delivered the information himself.

So he knew that, due to an ongoing investigation, Trump might not be receiving this information, so he thought it was a great idea to personally subvert that...

A massively under reported story is the fact that Nunes didn't actually recuse himself. He said he would temporarily step aside and the media reported that as some sort of binding recusal. He is already back on that job. He still has final say on the issuance of any subpoenas, but no one is really talking about it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
So he knew that, due to an ongoing investigation, Trump might not be receiving this information, so he thought it was a great idea to personally subvert that...
He's lying about this. He got the information from the whitehouse. So how could he believe the president wouldn't get it otherwise? bulllllllllllshiiiiiiit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom