• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Reason I'm not worried about the Senate is that if the CBO score does in fact come out before the Senate votes on it, the damages to Medicare and employee based coverage will be impossible to overcome. I'm betting instead of the 24 million uninsured with the first bill, we're going to have well over 30 million. And I want every House GOP member who got on board with the "team" to suffer for their vote. I really hope that happens.
Imagine being this naive.

Be fucking worried.

Call your reps.

This bill passing the Senate could be one of the biggest political turning points in recent history. The damage to Americans in general would be staggering, and the damage to republican political control could follow that path.

We'd go from "probably no chance of the senate" to "hmm... well maybe there's a chance now, actually"

And we'd go from "probably win in a good year" to "bloodbath" for the house.

And 2020 when the worst hits would devastate Trump's re-election. And any governors running in 2020 when they need to awkwardly remove pre-existing conditions coverage from people

Be fucking worried.

Call your reps.

I've already emailed Louise Slaughter. I'll contact Shumer and Gillibrand if it gets to the senate. I'll even probably contact Cuomo at some point. It's just words of encouragement for them, though, it's not like any of them were even humoring voting for this garbage.

I also don't think rationally looking at how the senate functions as an institution and the make up of it is being naive. We also have a senator on record just this morning saying the entire thing is being gutted and re-written in the senate.

PBY

Banned
We'd go from "probably no chance of the senate" to "hmm... well maybe there's a chance now, actually"

And we'd go from "probably win in a good year" to "bloodbath" for the house.

And 2020 when the worst hits would devastate Trump's re-election. And any governors running in 2020 when they need to awkwardly remove pre-existing conditions coverage from people
GOP isn't stupid, stop underestimating them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
GOP isn't stupid, stop underestimating them.

I used to agree with this sentiment, but passing this bill as is shows otherwise. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

If it goes through, it'll be fucking worse than that. Insurers can bounce people off even if they have it through their employers.

As an employed, affluent person, this is the first time I've actually been worried for my own damn self and not just for the good of everybody.

No way this passes, right?

Crocodile

I swear the universe is just trolling us at this point
Old Trump Tweet

As an aside, this thread gets hard to read when its half "LOL nothing to worry about at all" and "WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE". There is actually a "middle" here I feel.

The later group are being worse right now just because I feel their arguments are worse.

I'm positive tonight is the night Ossof wins

Quist is pretty much running on healthcare no? This should be a huge boon to him

Barzul

Be fucking worried.

Call your reps.

I live in Arkansas, I have a better chance with Boozman and Cotton in the Senate than the House members here. And why is it naive when it was the CBO score that killed the last one? The GOP fully intended to ram through the first version till it got scored. This bill is passing today, GOP House members do not fear their constituents. It's the political reality of the situation the country signed off on in electing Donald Trump.

GOP is stupid and their most hateful supporters are even more stupid, and that's why they can still win again and again.

I don't know which I'd rather have, young people new to politics to finally accept it's dirty and to let their side get dirtier in order to have progressives win more, or to just take this moment of stuff in shambles to just push, push as hard as they can, to fight for a new party or direction for a real left movement.

I think at some point, I'd rather just have progressive ideals win even at a cost, but I feel hesitant about that thought...

Reason I'm not worried about the Senate is that if the CBO score does in fact come out before the Senate votes on it, the damages to Medicare and employee based coverage will be impossible to overcome. I'm betting instead of the 24 million uninsured with the first bill, we're going to have well over 30 million. And I want every House GOP member who got on board with the "team" to suffer for their vote. I really hope that happens.

The senate is not going to pass this bill anyway. They'll simply argue the CBO doesn't apply to what they're doing, and they'll be right. Meanwhile moderate House members will have died on a sword for nothing and face the full brunt of it next November.

The bill will be altered and made more moderate, then return to the House where it'll be shitcanned by the HFC. And that's assuming it even passes the House today which I still doubt.

I swear the universe is just trolling us at this point
Old Trump Tweet

As an aside, this thread gets hard to read when its half "LOL nothing to worry about at all" and "WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE". There is actually a "middle" here I feel.

The later group are being worse right now just because I feel their arguments are worse.

We should definitely have at least some level of concern. But, like, we should probably wait for this thing to even pass the House first. Even if that looks likely at this point, it's still just step 1 in a long process.

Quist is pretty much running on healthcare no? This should be a huge boon to him
Why was I not aware that

1. There exists a Democrat country music singer
2. This person is running for congress

I usually love stuff like that just for the novelty of it.

I knew about this race but had no idea who either person was, and decided to google for the first time and was pleasantly surprised!

Eidan

What makes you say that? It's one of like 5 states that have flags that wouldn't stand out to me as anything weird alongside the flags of most other major countries. I guess single letters are more common to sports, but a c is a lot more low key than most letters.

Worst has to be Maryland. Just a chaotic mass of random shapes and colors as if the design was purposefully trying to make you go crazy by looking at it.

nunst032.gif

That flag is beautiful. Shut your goddamn mouth.

Barzul

Last time around the CBO score gave the media a focus to rally around. That doesn't exist now and I see now why the GOP has the "courage" to ram this through. Irresponsible but yeah it makes sense, they want to be able to say they "repealed" Obamacare. I hope they suffer.

Tommy DJ

The sort of problem is that it seems like Trump threatening House Republicans is actually working because he's basically a deity to a non-insignificant number of his base. Currently, the Senate is relaxed because the House is taking the heat but who knows if the Senate will break if he starts calling Republican Senators losers.

Its ridiculous just how badly a competent black president broke the minds of Americans. So much so that they're willing to die slow deaths to make sure that they never have to hear about the Obama in Obamacare ever again.

Crocodile

We should definitely have at least some level of concern. But, like, we should probably wait for this thing to even pass the House first. Even if that looks likely at this point, it's still just step 1 in a long process.

I agree. We should be upset that this even made it this far. We should be doing all that is in our power as citizens to stop it. This has a non-zero chance of becoming law. I just don't think "Trump won so nothing matters and the worst possible scenario will 100% happen" is productive?

The sort of problem is that it seems like Trump threatening House Republicans is actually working because he's basically a deity to a non-insignificant number of his base. Currently, the Senate is relaxed because the House is taking the heat but who knows if the Senate will break if he starts calling Republican Senators losers.

Its ridiculous just how badly a competent black president broke the minds of Americans. So much so that they're willing to die slow deaths to make sure that they never have to hear about the Obama in Obamacare ever again.

Bush broke America hard enough to vote for a Black man in the first place. What does the person America is willing to vote for look like after Trump breaks it?

Is this true relating to healthcare? His base hates the bill. Many of them will lose their healthcare.

Turn on some rightwing radio/media today, they're still calling this Obamacare 2.0.

Tommy DJ

Is this true relating to healthcare? His base hates the bill. Many of them will lose their healthcare.

Turn on some rightwing radio/media today, they're still calling this Obamacare 2.0.

Reading some Free Republic, they don't like the bill but they're willing to go with it because "it has to go".

That's really the gist of it. Trump and the GOP have run on this stupid R&R mandate for way too long that there's no way to back down.

This bill doesn't seem to actually please anyone. Ultra conservatives want a clean repeal, and everyone else thinks it's a disaster. The bill has no positive. It doesn't even lower taxes on the rich by any significant amount.

It's what's the most confusing about all this. You can say "they put the party before the country" but in this case they aren't doing that because this bill is going to kill the party in 2018 (and likely 2020) and yet they're still going along with it. Despite the CBO saying it would remove over 20 million people's insurance. Despite every major lobbyist being against it (besides the insurance industry, although I actually don't really even know if they like it). Despite the crazy town halls last month (and the ones next week). Despite Trump's popularity bottoming out before the last vote. Despite the polls showing everyone hates this. They're still going to try and pass it. Any political scientist would look at this and scratch their heads because every single check on a politician to stop them from doing something incredibly stupid is failing right now.

At the absolute minimum, a politician will ensure self preservation. It's basically the base line skill of the job. Do whatever you need to do to keep your job. And yet here we are. The GOP facing death straight in the face, knowing they're facing death straight in the face, not wanting to face death straight in the face, and yet they continue to move into the light.

Some system somewhere is failing horribly.

Barzul

any links with the details of the Executive Order Trump is about to sign?

President Trump Signs the Executive Order on Promoting Free Speech and Religious Liberty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_X0TUlVs8w

Free Speech and Religious Liberty ? hmmm their has to be a catch

Basically stops enforcement of the Johnson ammendment which says religious institutions cannot endorse candidates from the pulpit or risk losing their tax exempt status. Then again, the IRS has only ever gone penalized a religious organization once based on it. So in theory this EO might end up not changing much...we'll see how it actually plays out though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
any links with the details of the Executive Order Trump is about to sign?

President Trump Signs the Executive Order on Promoting Free Speech and Religious Liberty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_X0TUlVs8w

Free Speech and Religious Liberty ? hmmm their has to be a catch

From what I've seen it's way watered down from what was rumored before. This one is reported to just ease restrictions on religious groups taking political action.

So it wouldn't be the absolute shitshow the discrimination order would have been.

The religious liberty EO seemed more symbolic than practical. Churches already ignore the Johnson amendment, and it's unclear to me how the executive branch had failed to comply with the Hobby Lobby ruling in the first place.

I freaked out the whole election, and everyone told me not to worry.

WELP.

I'll just say you will drive yourself crazy if you can't separate things that are out of your sphere of influence. Donate to some groups, makes some calls, and keep up the resistance but the constant negativity even though there was a terrible event isn't healthy

The bill will be altered and made more moderate, then return to the House where it'll be shitcanned by the HFC.
I'm not so confident that the HFC would kill a moderated bill at the final veto point in the process. That's a very different thing than killing it before it ever gets to the first hurdle. I don't think the HFC gets very much out of being purists at that point, and I don't think they're particularly scared being primaried from the right in 2018 for voting for a moderated bill -- after all, they can say they killed version 1.0, that they voted for the hardcore version of the new bill, and that in the end they voted for a final bill that conservative media will unanimously praise as a Republican turnaround triumph story. So the incentives for the HFC are weighted differently at the end of the process than at the beginning.

PBY

Banned
Apples and oranges.

I agree. I understand how probabilities work, etc.

That said - (understanding the Senate is a different beast) go back and read this thread as of early this week. So much gloating about how this bill would never get through the House, etc.

Zolo

From what I've seen it's way watered down from what was rumored before. This one is reported to just ease restrictions on religious groups taking political action.

So it wouldn't be the absolute shitshow the discrimination order would have been.

It was said this one really had the lawyers go through it, and they have a better idea now of how the EO's might get struck down. It seems smart in that it appeals to his base, and it doesn't seem to change much since it was mostly ignored anyway.

I'm not so confident that the HFC would kill a moderated bill at the final veto point in the process. That's a very different thing than killing it before it ever gets to the first hurdle. I don't think the HFC gets very much out of being purists at that point, and I don't think they're particularly scared being primaried from the right in 2018 for voting for a moderated bill -- after all, they can say they killed version 1.0, that they voted for the hardcore version of the new bill, and that in the end they voted for a final bill that conservative media will unanimously praise as a Republican turnaround triumph story. So the incentives for the HFC are weighted differently at the end of the process than at the beginning.

Members of the FC have already said they will not vote on a watered down senate bill.

I agree. I understand how probabilities work, etc.

That said - (understanding the Senate is a different beast) go back and read this thread as of early this week. So much gloating about how this bill would never get through the House, etc.

Yes and people were wrong. That said, look at how shitty of a bill had to be crafted to pass it.

Blader

Freaking out over everything, everyday, makes others desensitized to your freaking out. Even if you may be right, you end up undermining your position, imo.

So Trump's EOs are now toothless props to feed his ego?

Now? Most of his EOs have just been ordering his cabinet secretaries to look into X and conduct a review of Y, which, given who they are and who put them in their jobs, they probably should've been doing anyway.

Tommy DJ

This bill doesn't seem to actually please anyone. Ultra conservatives want a clean repeal, and everyone else thinks it's a disaster. The bill has no positive. It doesn't even lower taxes on the rich by any significant amount.

It's what's the most confusing about all this. You can say "they put the party before the country" but in this case they aren't doing that because this bill is going to kill the party in 2018 (and likely 2020) and yet they're still going along with it. Despite the CBO saying it would remove over 20 million people's insurance. Despite every major lobbyist being against it (besides the insurance industry, although I actually don't really even know if they like it). Despite the crazy town halls last month (and the ones next week). Despite Trump's popularity bottoming out before the last vote. Despite the polls showing everyone hates this. They're still going to try and pass it.

At the absolute minimum, a politician will ensure self preservation. It's basically the base line skill of the job. Do whatever you need to do to keep your job. And yet here we are. The GOP facing death straight in the face, knowing they're facing death straight in the face, not wanting to face death straight in the face, and yet they continue to move into the light.

Some system somewhere is failing horribly.

I'm aware of these. There's literally nothing this bill achieves and everyone basically knows this from the AARP to AMA to whoever. But they've got a loud and active base that seriously wants Obamacare gone no matter the cost. Perhaps Free Republic is the wrong place to read opinions but that's the stance a lot of people seem to be holding: bill sucks but I can deal with it since Obamacare is gone.

It really seems like the Republicans are basically going a half court heave with one second on the shot clock. They can't spend the whole time in government achieving exactly nothing of significance. They're desperate for a win here.

If they pass this, they get to tick off an achievement, Trump can brag about it and he can start bullshiting his "multiple phases health care deal making process". The gambit seems to be whether or not Trump can convince enough people that things will get better soon to vote him in for another 4 years. We already know that, despite Trump being extremely unpopular, Trump supporters are still extremely bullish on the future that Trump promises to provide.

The failure in the system is that Trump has a lot of die hard supporters who consistently hand wave his issues (locker room talk) and failures (well he tried at least, can't always get what you want in life) away. Trump has no party loyalty so he doesn't have the decency like past Republican presidents to not shit on his own party. If these guys are getting cold feet because they might get primaried, I wouldn't be unsurprised if they vote for a shitty bill and YOLO their reelection chances rather than die to a Republican challenger with the backing of the president.

Why was I not aware that

1. There exists a Democrat country music singer
2. This person is running for congress

I usually love stuff like that just for the novelty of it.

I knew about this race but had no idea who either person was, and decided to google for the first time and was pleasantly surprised!
He's also well to the left of the median House Democrat, that cowboy hat wearing socialist!

The big problem I have is I don't see how the country is ever going to move forward if the next administration just deletes all the work the previous administration did. Something drastic needs to happen but I don't know what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom