• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives...ew-ailing-baby-caught-middle-article-1.888562

Even when it comes to a sick baby in his family, Donald Trump is all business. The megabuilder and his siblings Robert and Maryanne terminated their nephew’s family medical coverage a week after he challenged the will of their father, Fred Trump. “This was so shocking, so disappointing and so vindictive,” said niece Lisa Trump, whose son, William, was born 18 months ago at Mount Sinai Medical Center with a rare neurological disorder that produces violent seizures, brain damage and medical bills topping $300,000.

But her emails

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
As someone who grew up in Indiana, I miss not having to bother with Daylight Saving Time. What a stupid concept. I'll never forgive Mitch Daniels for ruining one of the best things about the state. Do you think it's a coincidence that I left the state shortly after?
OK, it is.

Daylights savings is annoying as fuck, but its even worse when parts of the nation selectively follow/don't follow. If we had my way, the concept would be banned worldwide.

benjipwns

Banned
in this analogy, are your posts the scalps
if you don't stop using your facististic tactics to suppress my free speech by telling people what i say when it's stupid then i will use fascist tactics against you until you stop or are destroyed completely which will

make us both fascists

wait hold on

i'm not because you were first so i'm just using your tactics which are fascist but i'm not fascist because i'm only copying them exactly er but okay um

i haven't thought this through really, give me a couple days

but make sure to hit up the gofundme page thanks: https://www.gofundme.com/support-the-media-equality-project
The Media Equality Project is dedicated to fighting back against an unprecedented, well-funded campaign by the left to silence conservative opposition voices.

Funds raised will be used to build our website, hire staff, purchase equipment and promote our mission.

We are truly grateful for your support and thrilled to see millions of Americans coming together to fight back against mainstream media tyranny.

Chichikov

Daylights savings is annoying as fuck, but its even worse when parts of the nation selectively follow/don't follow. If we had my way, the concept would be banned worldwide.
Daylight savings is great. Sure, it doesn't save energy and yeah, kids get run over by cars going to school in the dark, but fuck it, long days of drinking in the summer!
As the saying goes, you can't make an omelette without running over some kids with a car.

if you don't stop using your facististic tactics to suppress my free speech by telling people what i say when it's stupid then i will use fascist tactics against you until you stop or are destroyed completely which will

make us both fascists

wait hold on

i'm not because you were first so i'm just using your tactics which are fascist but i'm not fascist because i'm only copying them exactly er but okay um

but make sure to hit up the gofundme page thanks: https://www.gofundme.com/support-the-media-equality-project

who came first: the fascist, or the fascist?

make us both fascists

wait hold on

is this crowdfunded right win Media Matters

This Qatar thing seems like it's going to be a whole thing.

No problem, I'm sure McMaster is on the case...

...Oh.

n6rnLdl.gif

is this crowdfunded right win Media Matters

It's crowdfunded payback. (no, you never get your money back)

Why care about Qatar at all? They played fast and loose these past three decades and are being bullied by the rightful hegemon of the region. Saudi Arabia could use the liquefied natural gas since their oil isn't cutting it anymore anyway.

Rarely am I at a total blank on what to expect out of a crisis, but I'm at a total blank on Quatar. "World's biggest sponsor of religious extremism calls out neighbor for creating instability" is some serious bullshit, though. No idea why the UAE is involved, too.
I may be getting a little paranoid at the speed of developments but my gut tells me this is Kuwait 2.0
That would require there to be a slant drilling controversy of some type.

Daylight savings is great. Sure, it doesn't save energy and yeah, kids get run over by cars going to school in the dark, but fuck it, long days of drinking in the summer!
As the saying goes, you can't make an omelette without running over some kids with a car.

Another reason to ban all cars.

It's crowdfunded payback. (no, you never get your money back)

Why care about Qatar at all? They played fast and loose these past three decades and are being bullied by the rightful hegemon of the region. Saudi Arabia could use the liquefied natural gas since their oil isn't cutting it anymore anyway.

It's not caring about Qatar specifically as much as caring about the region. This would be a time where having a stable President and an actually staffed State Department would come in handy.

Another reason to ban all cars.

And kids. And probably omelettes too, just to be safe.

sphagnum

Banned

As my uncle used to say: 2 points for kids, 10 points for teenagers.

Xando

Well this is damning:

Donald Trump's Triumph of Stupidity
German Chancellor Angela Merkel was the last one to speak, according to the secret minutes taken last Friday afternoon in the luxurious conference hotel in the Sicilian town of Taormina -- meeting notes that DER SPIEGEL has been given access to. Leaders of the world's seven most powerful economies were gathered around the table and the issues under discussion were the global economy and sustainable development.

The newly elected French president, Emmanuel Macron, went first. It makes sense that the Frenchman would defend the international treaty that bears the name of France's capital: The Paris Agreement. "Climate change is real and it affects the poorest countries," Macron said.

Then, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reminded the U.S. president how successful the fight against the ozone hole had been and how it had been possible to convince industry leaders to reduce emissions of the harmful gas.

Finally, it was Merkel's turn. Renewable energies, said the chancellor, present significant economic opportunities. "If the world's largest economic power were to pull out, the field would be left to the Chinese," she warned. Xi Jinping is clever, she added, and would take advantage of the vacuum it created. Even the Saudis were preparing for the post-oil era, she continued, and saving energy is also a worthwhile goal for the economy for many other reasons, not just because of climate change.

The chancellor was long reluctant to make the rift visible. For Merkel, who grew up in communist East Germany, the alliance with the U.S. was always more than political calculation, it reflected her deepest political convictions. Now, she has -- to a certain extent, at least -- terminated the trans-Atlantic friendship with Trump's America.

In doing so, the German chancellor has become Trump's adversary on the international stage. And Merkel has accepted the challenge when it comes to trade policy and the quarrel over NATO finances. Now, she has done so as well on an issue that is near and dear to her heart: combating climate change.

Merkel's aim is that of creating an alliance against Trump. If she can't convince the U.S. president, her approach will be that of trying to isolate him. In Taormina, it was six countries against one. Should Trump not reverse course, she is hoping that the G-20 in Hamburg in July will end 19:1. Whether she will be successful is unclear.

Trump has identified Germany as his primary adversary. Since his inauguration in January, he has criticized no country -- with the exception of North Korea and Iran -- as vehemently as he has Germany. The country is "bad, very bad," he said in Brussels last week. Behind closed doors at the NATO summit, Trump went after Germany, saying there were large and prosperous countries that were not living up to their alliance obligations.

And he wants to break Germany's economic power. The trade deficit with Germany, he recently tweeted, is "very bad for U.S. This will change."

Foffy

Banned

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The solution is to go to daylights savings time and never leave it. Then you can recreationally run over kids since you won't be require to sacrifice them to enjoy long drinking days.

Pixieking

Banned

This

Even the Saudis were preparing for the post-oil era, she continued, and saving energy is also a worthwhile goal for the economy for many other reasons, not just because of climate change.

is what gets me with Trump. He can not believe in climate change all he wants, but to ignore the economic value of saving energy and renewable energy is grotesquely stupid. So much of the whining he does is about money, and how other countries have more of it than the US, but when it comes to creating and saving money, he shows no intelligence, no foresight, no will.

He's like an alcoholic or junkie, pissing or injecting away all his money and then complaining that he's got nothing to buy food with.

Xando

This

is what gets me with Trump. He can not believe in climate change all he wants, but to ignore the economic value of saving energy and renewable energy is grotesquely stupid. So much of the whining he does is about money, and how other countries have more of it than the US, but when it comes to creating and saving money, he shows no intelligence, no foresight, no will.

He's like an alcoholic or junkie, pissing or injecting away all his money and then complaining that he's got nothing to buy food with.

I don't think the economic part plays a big part for Trump. He's just trying to use it to justify his decision.
You can clearly see that US foreign policy is mostly decided by Bannons nationalistic fascist ideology and some personal vendettas of Trump (See Germany or Sadiq Khan yesterday).

I don't think the american foreign policy establishment understands the kind of damage he's currently doing and is still kind of thinking all will be fine when Trump leaves. 4 years is a lot of time and with the UK not being able to keep the EU close to the US the western alliance is quickly declining.

We're 4 months in. Imagine what the world looks like in a year or two.

benjipwns

Banned
Someone help me.

In what universe did we morph into when a co-founder to the fucking Tea Party supports UBI? The extreme right likes this? What's the catch?
UBI, guaranteed minimum incomes and/or a negative income taxes in various forms have been endorsed by Charles Murray, Milton Friedman, Michael Tanner (who the article is by that guy links to) for a long time has advocated it, Richard Nixon, Henry George, Friedrich Hayek, Gary Johnson prefers the FairTax for some weird reason (even though he can't explain it half as well as he can Aleppo) but called it a "second choice", etc.

Thomas Paine rather famously of course. We consider him one of ours too.

Then if you bring in a LVT with its equivalent Georgist system...then comes in a huge rush of libertarians/classical liberals. As much as there can be a huge anything of libertarians.

Here's Milton Friedman talking to WFB about his version of a negative income tax a few years before Nixon swiped the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtpgkX588nM

I don't matter but I've also advocated for it here many a times, if only as superior to the welfare state bureaucracy as some may be remember enough to confirm. Same for all the threads where I oppose stuff like banning buying lobster or whatever the hell it is with welfare/food stamps that's the outrage of the week deal.

edit: should add that my main concerns about it are privacy concerns

kirblar

Yeah, the actual libertarian part of the Tea Party being fine w/ it makes sense. (They're just not the majority of the tea party by any stretch of the imagination!)

Pixieking

Banned
I don't think the economic part plays a big part for Trump. He's just trying to use it to justify his decision.
You can clearly see that US foreign policy is mostly decided by Bannons nationalistic fascist ideology and some personal vendettas of Trump (See Germany or Sadiq Khan yesterday).

I don't think the american foreign policy establishment understands the kind of damage he's currently doing and is still kind of thinking all will be fine when Trump leaves. 4 years is a lot of time and with the UK not being able to keep the EU close to the US the western alliance is quickly declining.

We're 4 months in. Imagine what the world looks like in a years or two.

Urgh... I'd rather not - I don't need to be even more depressed about the future. :p

I'm tempted to say that the EU takes this as a sign that it's time to move towards a federal "United States of Europe", with closer integration in things like military, policing and energy creation and use. If it does, then it's likely the Western world order will be led by Germany, with China being their major East Asian partner. That contrasts with the post World War 2 power-couple of the US and Japan.

This is, I think, another reason why the pro-Brexit "Make the UK great again" argument is doomed to fail - at the exact time when the EU is going to be growing stronger, the UK is going to have less and less power on the world-stage, in diplomacy and trade. The EU is going to hold all the cards, and the UK will be pushed to one side, no matter what.

On another topic:

4 New England states join Paris climate goal alliance
BOSTON (AP) — The governors of four New England states — including two Republicans — are joining a bipartisan coalition of states committed to meeting the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement.

Enjoy!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 29s29 seconds ago

In any event we are EXTREME VETTING people coming into the U.S. in order to help keep our country safe. The courts are slow and political!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 7m7 minutes ago

The Justice Dept. should ask for an expedited hearing of the watered down Travel Ban before the Supreme Court - & seek much tougher version!

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 16m16 minutes ago

The Justice Dept. should have stayed with the original Travel Ban, not the watered down, politically correct version they submitted to S.C.

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 20m20 minutes ago

People, the lawyers and the courts can call it whatever they want, but I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!

OK, what is Fox & Friends talking about? Someone take one for the team

chadskin

On Trump's NATO speech:
[T]he president also disappointed—and surprised—his own top national security officials by failing to include the language reaffirming the so-called Article 5 provision in his speech. National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson all supported Trump doing so and had worked in the weeks leading up to the trip to make sure it was included in the speech, according to five sources familiar with the episode. They thought it was, and a White House aide even told the New York Times the day before the line was definitely included.

It was not until the next day, Thursday, May 25, when Trump started talking at an opening ceremony for NATO’s new Brussels headquarters, that the president’s national security team realized their boss had made a decision with major consequences – without consulting or even informing them in advance of the change.

“They had the right speech and it was cleared through McMaster,” said a source briefed by National Security Council officials in the immediate aftermath of the NATO meeting. “As late as that same morning, it was the right one.”

Added a senior White House official, “There was a fully coordinated other speech everybody else had worked on”—and it wasn’t the one Trump gave. “They didn’t know it had been removed,” said a third source of the Trump national security officials on hand for the ceremony. “It was only upon delivery.”

The president appears to have deleted it himself, according to one version making the rounds inside the government, reflecting his personal skepticism about NATO and insistence on lecturing NATO allies about spending more on defense rather than offering reassurances of any sort; another version relayed to others by several White House aides is that Trump’s nationalist chief strategist Steve Bannon and policy aide Stephen Miller played a role in the deletion.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/06/05/trump-nato-speech-national-security-team-215227

McClatchyDC‏Verified account
@McClatchyDC

GOP strategists say Republicans plan to make 2018 a referendum on the media. @Alex_Roarty @lindsaywise reporting

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article154106459.html

Conservative radio hosts mock a physical assault on a reporter. A GOP governor blasts a reporter on Twitter as "a sick man." The president accuses the media of being an “enemy of the state.”

This is not run-of-the-mill Republican criticism of the press anymore. It is now a deliberate strategy to help GOP candidates win elections fueled by public hatred of reporters.

“Does anyone want to see a reporter badly injured? No," said Tobe Berkovitz, a Boston University advertising expert who advises congressional and gubernatorial election campaigns. "But there are some people who think this is their comeuppance: ‘You’ve been strutting around with no accountability and maybe you should be held accountable.’”

A party that traditionally has had a fraught relationship with the media has become outright hostile, led by a president who picks more fights with journalists than any GOP leader since Richard Nixon.

But interviews with Republican strategists and party leaders across the country reveal that what started as genuine anger at allegedly unfair coverage — or an effort to deflect criticism — is now an integral part of next year’s congressional campaigns.

The hope, say these officials, is to convince Trump die-hards that these mid-term races are as much a referendum on the media as they are on President Trump. That means embracing conflict with local and national journalists, taking them on to show Republicans voters that they, just like the president, are battling a biased press corps out to destroy them.

David Woodard, a political consultant for South Carolina Republicans whose clients have included Sen. Lindsey Graham and Reps. Trey Gowdy and Jeff Duncan of South Carolina, recalled the old adage often quoted by politicians: “Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel.”

That’s dead now.

“If you pick a fight with them, I think it kind of helps you, and I don’t think many people care,” Woodard said.

The strategy certainly doesn’t mean literally fighting the media. The strategists interviewed say they don’t want their candidates imitating Republican candidate Greg Gianforte, who last month was charged with assaulting a reporter in Montana.

But the aftermath of that incident was instructive for party strategists. Conservatives media figures, such as Laura Ingraham and Brent Bozell, didn’t rush to condemn Gianforte; they criticized the reporter. And the ensuing coverage, according to one Republican watching the race, energized the GOP voters. (Gainforte went on to defeat Democrat Rob Quist.)

The conservative base needed more of an enemy than the Democratic candidate to become engaged.

“Hillary Clinton is not on the ballot so you have to have something else to run against,” said Charlie Sykes, a former conservative talk radio host from Wisconsin who has been openly critical of Trump. “And the media is perfect.”

It’s “going to be a major part of the strategy,” he predicted.

Attacks against the media are nothing new, of course. But what was once mere dislike “has now morphed into genuine loathing,” Sykes said, fueled by the president’s daily anti-media barrage and a perception among his supporters that coverage of his campaign and now his administration has been unfair.

And that anti-media approach is working among the Republican party’s most fervent supporters — the very voter bloc GOP candidates are eager to re-energize ahead of the 2018 elections. One May survey from Quinnipiac University found that 58 percent of voters disapprove of way the media covers Trump.

Opinions about the state of journalism are even worse. Last year, Gallup found confidence in mass media had dropped to 32 percent, the lowest in Gallup’s history of polling. And local media in many cities, once more popular than their national counterparts, have shrunk in size and influence, making them an easier target.

“You look at how the press is perceived in any kind of opinion survey at the moment, and the press is right down there with Donald Trump,” Berkovitz said.

“The press is held with disgust and contempt. Battling the press isn’t a bad strategy.”

It’s a strategy that also helps congressional candidates demonstrate solidarity with a president whose electoral coalition included non-traditional GOP voters, a group the party will need again in 2018.

Sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom