• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it is as hard as some say. You can still support the military, say they'll give them what they need to protect our country, etc. GOP just throws out random numbers of billions of dollars.

Step 1:

Don't let Sanders delegates heckle and jeer Medal of Honor recipients giving speeches at your convention.

I don't think it is as hard as some say. You can still support the military, say they'll give them what they need to protect our country, etc. GOP just throws out random numbers of billions of dollars.

Too much of the "base" of American military families comes from the white south and rural areas for me to believe we'll see a true political shift. This could moreso be military folks realizing oh shit, this guy is not only crazy he's gonna start a war.

A more traditional republican like Pence wouldn't have these issues.

@Al_Drago
Peyton Manning & Sen. Bob Corker of Tenn. depart the W.H. after President Trump returns from a 4.5 hour outing at Trump National Golf Club.

DBf5PswXgAEeNxR.jpg

It's a complete mystery what Trump does for 4 hours at these golf courses.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Step 1:

Don't let Sanders delegates heckle and jeer Medal of Honor recipients giving speeches at your convention.

True. Even better--Step 0: Don't let Sanders delegates anywhere near the convention.

Too much of the "base" of American military families comes from the white south and rural areas for me to believe we'll see a true political shift. This could moreso be military folks realizing oh shit, this guy is not only crazy he's gonna start a war.

A more traditional republican like Pence wouldn't have these issues.

I don't think democrats will ever have the entire military vote. However, it has been too lopsided for too long. Democrats running on being responsible with military funding and using it for veterans issues is most likely a winner in that group, though.

I think this presidency will serve as a really good experiment. Obama felt that it was his personal responsibility as head of state to not stoke the flames of hatred and cause fear to grip the nation. Trump has no reservations because he is already a true believer. Will anything change in this country or do we all already have our minds made up?

This is difficult for Dems to capitalize on.
You can push for a smarter, less confrontational, and more supported military. But that likely also means a degree of downsizing.

It's not THAT difficult and think the 2016 DNC had the right approach of a new, diverse kind of patriotism.

Like, shit like Military starting to turn on Trump and foreign allies hating Trump is the perfect opportunity for Dems to start being pro-GOOD-intevention. Dems need to remind people that intervention like the Marshall Plan and Iran Nuclear Deal work.

The payoff would be huge for a few reasons:

1) It would give the US more leverage against Netanyahu

2) Military and IC leadership would become strong democrats

2b) Because more military people would be democrats, we would have more gun control advocates who can easily show gun owners that we actually know a damn thing or two about guns

3) American Patriotism would finally be about something good instead a fucked up nationalism

4) Would actually rebuild the reputation of the military to the left, which has been damaged since Vietnam

And I think it doesn't require downsizing the military so much as requires expanding areas that actually need expansion. Particularly:

- Medics
- Foreign Infrastructure Programs
- Cyber Security (I mean seriously we need to be increasing spending on cybersecurity tenfold)
- Counter-Intelligence

Teggy

Has it been pointed out enough times how incredibly stupid this tweet is? It's like the thought process of an infant.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Do you notice we are not having a gun debate right now? That's because they used knives and a truck!
7:43 AM · Jun 4, 2017

And I think it doesn't require downsizing the military so much as requires expanding areas that actually need expansion. Particularly:

- Medics
- Cyber Security (I mean seriously we need to be increasing spending on cybersecurity tenfold)
- Counter-Intelligence

The hard part with this is that these careers in the military are looked down on by the military personnel that don't vote for us. It's the same story as trying to get them to take jobs in the healthcare industry (where you can get a great job with an Associate's degree but it involves working with people or, God forbid, your job title might have the word "nurse" in it). A vet I know who was a maintenance guy on tanks was walking around in Kroger last year when he spotted another vet open carrying. He walks up to the guy and tells him "Hey man, you should think about concealed carry so a bad guy doesn't try to go after you first." The other guy asks him, "Were you in the service?" My friend says yes and told him what he did in the military. The guy responded with, "Well, I'll let you know if I need my oil changed." and walked off.

We actually do win votes from the military but I heavily suspect that these careers you listed are where most of that comes from. The rank and file are the toxically masculine ones that we don't get.

Has it been pointed out enough times how incredibly stupid this tweet is? It's like the thought process of an infant.

Oh and look, no guns and single digit casualties.

I've got a relative who bookmarked some story from China (I think) where a guy went on a stabbing spree in a school and he posts it every now and then with some caption like "wanna ban knives too, liberals?" But the story in question literally mentions that other than some stitches there were no real injuries.

Ogodei

It's not THAT difficult and think the 2016 DNC had the right approach of a new, diverse kind of patriotism.

Like, shit like Military starting to turn on Trump and foreign allies hating Trump is the perfect opportunity for Dems to start being pro-GOOD-intevention. Dems need to remind people that intervention like the Marshall Plan and Iran Nuclear Deal work.

The payoff would be huge for a few reasons:

1) It would give the US more leverage against Netanyahu

2) Military and IC leadership would become strong democrats

2b) Because more military people would be democrats, we would have more gun control advocates who can easily show gun owners that we actually know a damn thing or two about guns

3) American Patriotism would finally be about something good instead a fucked up nationalism

4) Would actually rebuild the reputation of the military to the left, which has been damaged since Vietnam

- Medics
- Counter-Intelligence

There's a *lot* of evangelical Christianity further up the ranks of the military, so it's hard to say that they'd become Democrats, though the good soldiers at all ranks are pragmatists and will support reality-based policies for the most part, which is where Democrats have the advantage, but there's also a lot of cultural dickery there.

The IC has a lot of scary people in it, like any authoritarian agency, but a core attribute is their intellectualism, so again they are persuadable when the wonk party goes up against the party of stupid.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

It is known that the Dems never had a plan for Veterans and never will. Just look at what Trump said about them durning the election.

It never works. Even if Democrats save VA from the brink and make it the best in the world, they will still not support it. Them supporting Trump despite what he did in the election is a testament to that.

gaugebozo

Makes it even more puzzling. That bill will at best cause major contraction of the HC industry. He'd stand to lose a lot of that money.

Something fishy went on during the writing and voting on that bill, I know it, but can't figure out why nothing came up about it other than this schmuck getting kicked out of the leadership of the Tuesday Group though.

So here's an amazing, out of nowhere story for you.

My dad is of the camp that "Obama and Trump are just as bad as each other", he didn't like either. I have tried again and again to convince him otherwise, so I brought up the Mueller case and to my astonishment, he replies with "Oh yeah, I know Mueller, I've known him for a few years, I trust him, whatever he says I'll believe."

My dad was a consultant before retiring and had a working relationship with Mueller for a few years. Apparently, after my father had finished giving his first presentation, Mueller walked up to him and said:

"You know why I liked your presentation? Because not one time did you tell me to 'think outside the box'. If you had said that, I would have knocked you on your ass."

kirblar

So here's an amazing, out of nowhere story for you.

My dad is of the camp that "Obama and Trump are just as bad as each other", he didn't like either. I have tried again and again to convince him otherwise, so I brought up the Mueller case and to my astonishment, he replies with "Oh yeah, I know Mueller, I've known him for a few years, I trust him, whatever he says I'll believe."

My dad was a consultant before retiring and had a working relationship with Mueller for a few years. Apparently, after my father had finished giving his first presentation, Mueller walked up to him and said:

"You know why I liked your presentation? Because not one time did you tell me to 'think outside the box'. If you had said that, I would have knocked you on your ass."
I can see why he likes Mueller.

Vixdean

Everytime I read something about Trump not being able to properly staff the government, I'm reminded of this from early in the transition period,

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/11/eliot-cohen-never-trump/507743/

On Tuesday, a week into the transition of power from Barack Obama to Donald Trump, Eliot Cohen issued a warning about the coming Trump administration—and the credentials that could count most for those serving in it. “After exchange w Trump transition team, changed my recommendation: stay away,” he wrote on Twitter. “They’re angry, arrogant, screaming ‘you LOST!’ Will be ugly.”

I don't think much has changed, the well of qualified conservatives willing to serve in this administration must be nearly dry.

Everytime I read something about Trump not being able to properly staff the government, I'm reminded of this from early in the transition period,

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/11/eliot-cohen-never-trump/507743/

I don't think much has changed, the well of qualified conservatives willing to serve in this administration must be nearly dry.

Well you know what they say about rats and sinking ships. I mean the admin is so vehemently anti-intellectual anyway that nobody with an ounce of sense would want to work there. Your ideas would just be scrapped cuz they came from book learnins.

kess

It shouldn't be terribly hard for the Democrats to increase VA eligibility for veterans, although a better idea would be to market single payer to military communities as active duty health care for life.

Trump will probably hit 32 or so on Gallup. Vote splitting is pretty rare so that's more damaging to the party than even W, but Trump is already at that tepid 75-80% approval among Republicans.

W spent his last year in office with an 80 point approval gap between Democrats and Republicans.

And it's way too soon to be saying he was a worse President than Trump can be.

I wouldn't say can be, but I don't think it's likely that Trump will be as damaging as GWB. Trump's early unpopularity and incompetence actually handicap him there. Polarization has only gotten worse from that last year of GWB, Trump already enjoys a similar gap.

Any new GA-6 numbers?

It's likely to stay within MoE.
Both are sliding between 47-49 + 3-4% Undecided.
A poll on Friday (Landmark - Leans R) had Ossoff up 1 point, 49-48.
Without some sizable bomb dropped, which seems more and more unlikely as both candidates are actively avoiding rocking the boat, It's gonna be a squeaker.

benjipwns

Banned
I wouldn't say can be, but I don't think it's likely that Trump will be as damaging as GWB. Trump's early unpopularity and incompetence actually handicap him there. Polarization has only gotten worse from that last year of GWB, Trump already enjoys a similar gap.
W had the same gap until around his first September.

But I forget what changed.

W had the same gap until around his first September.

But I forget what changed.

Something not likely to repeat for Trump. And without that, he doesn't get to enjoy a midterm election in his favor, the most consequential war in the post Cold War era, and get a second term where the economy collapses.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's likely to stay within MoE.
Both are sliding between 47-49 + 3-4% Undecided.
A poll on Friday (Landmark - Leans R) had Ossoff up 1 point, 49-48.
Without some sizable bomb dropped, which seems more and more unlikely as both candidates are actively avoiding rocking the boat, It's gonna be a squeaker.

Ugh. The narrative if ossoff loses should be "GOP should be nervous about the squeaker they just won" but will actually be "dems fail to capitalize because Hillary hates the rust belt"

If ossoff wins though....

chadskin

Russian President Vladimir Putin strongly denied he had any compromising material about U.S. President Donald Trump, in a televised interview broadcast on Sunday.

"Well, this is just another load of nonsense," Putin said on NBC News' "Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly," when asked whether he had any damaging information on the Republican president.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-putin-idUSKBN18V16E

That should settle it then!

So I checked Gallup today, and see Trump is at 36%. Isn't this a new all time low?

He hit 35% at the end of March.

Ugh. The narrative if ossoff loses should be "GOP should be nervous about the squeaker they just won" but will actually be "dems fail to capitalize because Hillary hates the rust belt"

If ossoff wins though....

If Ossoff loses the narrative should be a failure for dems. Trump won it by 1.5% last year. It'd be a signal that Trump isn't turning the suburbs off from voting for Republicans, or at least enough of them for the Dems to achieve their goals in 2018.

It shouldn't be terribly hard for the Democrats to increase VA eligibility for veterans, although a better idea would be to market single payer to military communities as active duty health care for life.

Trump will probably hit 32 or so on Gallup. Vote splitting is pretty rare so that's more damaging to the party than even W, but Trump is already at that tepid 75-80% approval among Republicans.
Yeah 32% is probably about as low as it can get until rank-and-file Republicans actually turn on Trump, and that would probably take a huge recession.

benjipwns

Banned
Something not likely to repeat for Trump. And without that, he doesn't get to enjoy a midterm election in his favor, the most consequential war in the post Cold War era, and get a second term where the economy collapses.
Well, duh, of course Trump isn't going to preside over a dumb war or have the economy collapse, he said he's going to make America great again.

It was on his hat, so you know it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom