• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
DBoupP9UAAExqrJ.jpg:large

DBow7koVYAAj_1F.jpg:large

DBoyE39VwAAL5I9.jpg:large

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This Week @ThisWeekABC

Eric Trump to @TomLlamasABC: Probe into possible Trump-Russia collusion is "the greatest hoax of all time."

Getting out in front of Comey. This is the route they are taking--that the entire IC is engaged in a "hoax."

Good luck with that.

Wilsongt

Getting out in front of Comey. This is the route they are taking--that the entire IC is engaged in a "hoax."

Good luck with that.

I thought the moon landing was the greatest hoax of all time?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Rumors that Trump is trying to slip in Infastructure under reconciliation. That should be quite the shitshow.

I don't think Trump knows how reconciliation works if this is the case...

He'd have to pick 2 of Healthcare, Taxes or Infrastructure. Unless he tried bundling them, but that would be a huge mess.

So I guess he's going to try and bundle them.

Good luck with that.

Well to be fair that is just the route that Eric Trump is stupidly taking.

Like I said you can see what the two strategies are from the two non-FBI investigations:

1) On The White House/Trump/Congress side, Devin Nunes is doing everything he can to turn the Russia investigation into a story about unmasking

2) On the GOP/Senate side, the investigation is clearly investigating people associated with Trump and is willing to issue subpoenas, but the idea is to be willing to investigate the people who are obviously guilty (Flynn, Manafort, Page, etc.) to get ahead of the story before it starts implicating GOP leadership OUTSIDE of Trump's inner circle (as in Paul Ryan, Reince Preibus, Mitch McConnel, etc).

The Nunes approach is VERY dumb for obvious reasons, but the Senate GOP approach is actually quite clever in an evil way.

My girlfriend is working at the polls and is saying no one is showing up...
Like I said last night, I live in NJ and consider myself politically informed and still didn't realize it was today until my mom called me last night.

It's also pretty early and I know people go in before work but I'm still going in after I get back from the city. And Murphy is pretty much a shoe-in and I'm gonna vote for Johnson or Wisnieswki (probably fucked up spelling) but at the end of the day all dem candidates are a monumental step up over the Republicans and I'd like to hope the state is as disgusted with Christie as they seem come the final election.

Four top law firms turned down requests to represent Trump

Top lawyers with at least four major law firms rebuffed White House overtures to represent President Trump in the Russia investigations, in part over concerns that the president would be unwilling to listen to their advice, according to five sources familiar with discussions about the matter.

The unwillingness of some of the country’s most prestigious attorneys and their law firms to represent Trump has complicated the administration’s efforts to mount a coherent defense strategy to deal with probes being conducted by four congressional committees as well as Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller.

The president’s chief lawyer now in charge of the case is Marc E. Kasowitz, a tough New York civil litigator who for years has aggressively represented Trump in multiple business and public relations disputes — often with threats of countersuits and menacing public statements — but who has little experience dealing with complex congressional and Justice Department investigations that are inevitably influenced by media coverage and public opinion.

Before Kasowitz was retained, however, some of the biggest law firms and their best-known attorneys turned down overtures when they were sounded out by White House officials to see if they would be willing to represent the president, the sources said.

Among them, sources said, were some of the most high-profile names in the legal profession, including Brendan Sullivan of Williams & Connolly; Ted Olson of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; Paul Clement and Mark Filip of Kirkland & Ellis; and Robert Giuffra of Sullivan & Cromwell.

The lawyers and their firms cited a variety of factors in choosing not to take on the president as a client. Some, like Brendan Sullivan, said they had upcoming trials or existing commitments that that would make it impossible for them to devote the necessary time and resources to Trump’s defense.

Others mentioned potential conflicts with clients of their firms, such as financial institutions that have already received subpoenas relating to potential money-laundering issues that are part of the investigation.

But a consistent theme, the sources said, was the concern about whether the president would accept the advice of his lawyers and refrain from public statements and tweets that have consistently undercut his position.

“The concerns were, ‘The guy won’t pay and he won’t listen,’” said one lawyer close to the White House who is familiar with some of the discussions between the firms and the administration, as well as deliberations within the firms themselves.

Other factors, the lawyer said, were that it would “kill recruitment” for the firms to be publicly associated with representing the polarizing president and jeopardize the firms’ relationships with other clients.

Another lawyer briefed on some of the discussions agreed that the firms were worried about the reputational risk of representing the president. One issue that arose, this lawyer said, was “Do I want to be associated with this president and his policies?” In addition, the lawyer said, there were concerns that if they took on the case, “Who’s in charge?” and “Would he listen?”

None of the lawyers who turned down the White House overtures responded to requests for comment by Yahoo News.

The White House began discreetly reaching out to assemble an outside legal team several weeks ago, after the public uproar over the firing of FBI Director James Comey — who is due to testify before the Senate intelligence committee on Thursday — followed by the appointment of Mueller as Justice Department special counsel.

Among those who began calling around on the president’s behalf were White House chief of staff Reince Priebus, senior counselor Kellyanne Conway and White House counsel Don McGahn. In some cases, the discussions led to meetings or phone calls between the lawyers who were approached and the president himself.

Collecting the Ls

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

Sorry folks, but if I would have relied on the Fake News of CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, washpost or nytimes, I would have had ZERO chance winning WH
8:15 AM · Jun 6, 2017

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Pixieking

Banned
Trump is so stupid. It's staggering.

It's be interesting to see someone properly attack Trump for his gross stupidity. Everyone thinks it, but no-one with any real following or celebrity status has actually said "You're thick as shit, shut up, sit down, and read a book".

No doubt his base would be upset, but I honestly think it could actually jump-start a proper conversation on US education - how someone so dumb and so unwilling to read and learn from his betters has become the leader of the Western World.

Sometimes I think about the fact that he still, STILL hasn't faced any ACTUAL crisis and is barely hanging on in the EASIEST PART OF HIS PRESIDENCY. Everything has been of his own making.

If he ever faced an actual external threat and treated it like he does everything else? The country would probably erupt into chaos.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Sometimes I think about the fact that he still, STILL hasn't faced any ACTUAL crisis and is barely hanging on in the EASIEST PART OF HIS PRESIDENCY. Everything has been of his own making.

If he ever faced an actual external threat and treated it like he does everything else? The country would probably erupt into chaos.

No question about it

1 Aug 2014
The U.S. cannot allow EBOLA infected people back. People that go to far away places to help out are great-but must suffer the consequences!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/495379061972410369

Dramatis mentioned possible disasters with hurricanes later this year since Trump still hasn't done anything with FEMA.

Hurricane season is starting

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction:

The Senate GOP still somehow ends up forcing through the AHCA. Maybe some minor changes, but the vast majority of what is there now will be in the bill.

I'm going to go out on a limb and make a prediction:

The Senate GOP still somehow ends up forcing through the AHCA. Maybe some minor changes, but the vast majority of what is there now will be in the bill.

Paul Ryan hasn't even sent it to the senate. Democrats are trying to use technicalities to never let it get to the Senate, and have a decent chance to do so.

They haven't even started the senate bill yet. Three senators (on the same day) went on record saying it isn't happening this year.

Why would you think it's going to suddenly happen? There's no indication it's moving forward at all, but plenty that it's not being worked on and isn't a priority.

Plinko

Paul Ryan hasn't even sent it to the senate. Democrats are trying to use technicalities to never let it get to the Senate, and have a decent chance to do so.

They haven't even started the senate bill yet. Three senators (on the same day) went on record saying it isn't happening this year.

Why would you think it's going to suddenly happen? There's no indication it's moving forward at all, but plenty that it's not being worked on and isn't a priority.

Note how I didn't specify a timing. I don't expect it any time soon. I still expect it to happen, though.

Crossposting something that occurred to me that is going to be both hilarious and sad to watch:

It's pretty obvious at this point to anyone who works with old people that Trump has dementia, but not everyone knows about it yet because Trump is clearly only at the early stages.

Well as the dementia progresses, one of the things that inevitably keeps happening is the person suffering from dementia starts reliving their most significant (usually most painful) memories.

And I don't mean in like a "man Trump just can't get over the election" sort of way. I mean LITERALLY being tricked by brain deterioration into thinking they are in that significant moment rather than just remembering it.

And we know that being president rapidly ages people, so there is no way that Trump stays in the early stages during his entire tenure at the White House.

So like, at some point we are going to start seeing, on camera, a glimpse into what memories truly make Trump tick. We are going to know once and for all if he really felt humiliated when Obama roasted him 2011. We'll know how he TRULY felt the moment he actually found out that he won when he was expected to lose.

Barzul

Crossposting something that occurred to me that is going to be both hilarious and sad to watch:

It's pretty obvious at this point to anyone who works with old people that Trump has dementia, but not everyone knows about it yet because Trump is clearly only at the early stages.

Well as the dementia progresses, one of the things that inevitably keeps happening is the person suffering from dementia starts reliving their most significant (usually most painful) memories.

And I don't mean in like a "man Trump just can't get over the election" sort of way. I mean LITERALLY being tricked by brain deterioration into thinking they are in that significant moment rather than just remembering it.

And we know that being president rapidly ages people, so there is no way that Trump stays in the early stages during his entire tenure at the White House.

So like, at some point we are going to start seeing, on camera, a glimpse into what memories truly make Trump tick. We are going to know once and for all if he really felt humiliated when Obama roasted him 2011. We'll know how he TRULY felt the moment he actually found out that he won when he was expected to lose.

How apparent were the signs with Reagan? We live in a time where the president receives even more exposure, so if he does have some sort of brain illness, it'd be easier to spot.

How apparent were the signs with Reagan? We live in a time where the president receives even more exposure, so if he does have some sort of brain illness, it'd be easier to spot.

The fact that we didn't learn until after Reagan's presidency tells me that Reagan had enough intelligence and humility, oddly enough, to admit he had dementia and work with his staff to minimize problems caused by it.

Meanwhile Trump doesn't seem like the type to be intelligent or humble enough to ever admit to any problems. Like I literally think he would react to a doctor telling him he has dementia by saying:

- The doctor is fake
- The diagnosis is fake
- He is much healthier than Obama was
- Obama and Hillary and the democrats are the ones with dementia since they won't stop talking about Russia

Reagan always had a reputation for forgetfulness and had a few awkward senior moments during his terms. I was only a kid when Reagan was in office but Trump seems measurably worse than late-term Reagan after only four months.

I don't recall Reagan ever wandering away from a podium or forgetting to sign a bill in public, either.

The fact that we didn't learn until after Reagan's presidency tells me that Reagan had enough intelligence and humility, oddly enough, to admit he had dementia and work with his staff to minimize problems caused by it.
Nancy also ran a lot of interference. I, uh, wouldn't expect the same from Melania.

teiresias

2) On the GOP/Senate side, the investigation is clearly investigating people associated with Trump and is willing to issue subpoenas, but the idea is to be willing to investigate the people who are obviously guilty (Flynn, Manafort, Page, etc.) to get ahead of the story before it starts implicating GOP leadership OUTSIDE of Trump's inner circle (as in Paul Ryan, Reince Preibus, Mitch McConnel, etc).

The Nunes approach is VERY dumb for obvious reasons, but the Senate GOP approach is actually quite clever in an evil way.

I'm not really sure it's "quite clever" considering if people that high up are going to be implicated they will be by Mueller regardless of whatever the Congressional investigations do. Outside of a Presidential pardon they don't have any protection from prosecution so all they're buying is slightly less horrible press for some amount of time.

Reagan always had a reputation for forgetfulness and had a few awkward senior moments during his terms. I was only a kid when Reagan was in office but Trump seems measurably worse than late-term Reagan after only four months.

I don't recall Reagan ever wandering away from a podium or forgetting to sign a bill in public, either.

But like, even Reagan clearly had ENOUGH self-awareness to admit to his staff that he had dementia. Otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to work with them to minimize the public damage by doing things like coordinating note cards.

Trump meanwhile is the kind of guy who, based on both public appearance and private reports, just refuses to ever admit to any problems.

Like, if Trump were a president who had really good coordination with his White House staff I don't think the dementia would ever matter. But I am making a very certain prediction that we are going to see the following 3 ingredients mix into the biggest public fuck-ups in human history:

- Trump's obvious dementia that is currently at early stages
- The stress of the presidency that causes rapid aging
- The complete lack of coordination at the White House

And by biggest public fuck-ups, I mean shit that will make everything before hand look like sunshine and lollipops in comparison. I'm talking the kinds of fuck-ups where the GOP will very seriously consider kicking out Trump on grounds of the 25th amendment. I'm talking it will get so bad that the White House will decide that Trump can't even go out in public to rabid fanbase rallies because he'll fuck those up THAT badly that even his fanbase will be embarrassed.

I'm not really sure it's "quite clever" considering if people that high up are going to be implicated they will be by Mueller regardless of whatever the Congressional investigations do. Outside of a Presidential pardon they don't have any protection from prosecution so all they're buying is slightly less horrible press for some amount of time.

Well the thing is that if the Senate Investigation prosecutes the obvious ones fast enough, the Senate GOP probably figure they can more easily take the PR backlash if they pressure the DoJ into stopping Meuller.

There have been more votes in six days of early voting than the entirety of the first round votes for GA-6. I have no idea how to process that/if it's good or bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom