• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AP_Politics
Trump schedules a speech around the same time as testimony by fired FBI Director James Comey:

giphy.gif

Haley Byrd‏Verified account @byrdinator 13m13 minutes ago

Graham says Rand Paul is "irretrievably gone" on health care because he won't support any bill with refundable tax credits

LOL

Same way we had an idea that the FBI was investigating. Once Comey finally came out and said it was huge news. This is gonna be the same thing and once again Comey is a great speaker. He done this before in 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxHjWYA50Ds

It will dominate the news cycle, lot of punditry and then fuck all happens. Rs have the special counsel excuse, they aren't going to do much except be "concerned" and "troubled".

barber

Wait how can Trump hold a rally and live tweet at the same time

"Trumps Reacts Rally, now you can see your president watch the traitorous failed ex-FBI director lie in front of the Senate while he comments and writes with his manly hands the best tweets"

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Sen. Mark Warner: More state election systems were targeted by Russians

"I don't believe they got into changing actual voting outcomes," Virginia Sen. Mark Warner said in an interview. "But the extent of the attacks is much broader than has been reported so far." He said he was pushing intelligence agencies to declassify the names of those states hit to help put electoral systems on notice before the midterm voting in 2018.

"None of these actions from the Russians stopped on Election Day," he warned.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...y-russians-nsa-senate-intelligence/102549928/

I mean, it's not illegal. You'd expect the WH to have some level of coordination with the senate on something like this.

We're going to see lots of lawyer mind games. As I said in the other thread I'd expect republicans to attempt to get Comey on perjury. In May he stated the FBI investigation was not being interfered with. Of course the context of that statement was in relation to the Department Of Justice and the AG, not the president/White House.

It will dominate the news cycle, lot of punditry and then fuck all happens. Rs have the special counsel excuse, they aren't going to do much except be "concerned" and "troubled".

Public interest and continued leaks are a major force in pushing this forward. Same with this upcoming hearing. A formal confirmation instead of "leaked" memos that Trump was trying to obstruct justice will be huge. GOP can continue to obfuscate and deflect, but not if public perception shifts too much against them. This is important.

catbird

Neo Member
so fucking stupid, probably not gonna bother then

johnson and wisnewiski are gonna split the lesser vote and Murphy is gonna coast through

one upside to murphy winning is at least he'll have the most funds and resources for campaigning in the general

Wait, what? It probably won't take up much of your time and by not voting Murphy wins with a greater % than if you did vote for another candidate. Think of this as sending a longer-term message to the Democratic establishment that alternative candidates are viable.

I voted for Johnson, my S.O. voted for Wiz.

Voting is a civic responsibility.

Teggy

Welp

Anna Mathews @annawmathews

Anthem pulling out of Ohio exchange for 2018. Cites volatility, uncertainty around CSRs, other issues. Appears to leave 20 counties bare.
12:20 PM · Jun 6, 2017

I mean, sure. But I think it's very possible they get all of that done and do it. Not a sure thing but it's not dead by any stretch.

No bill means they can't be "getting closer to having the votes" on a bill that doesn't even exist yet.

There's like another month or two before they could even have something done, scored, and cleared for reconciliation. And then they go on August recess. In the meanwhile, they have the September budget to get set so the government doesn't implode on itself, which is going to likely take up most of their pre-recess time.

So it'll be until at least autumn before something is actually workable. And time is not something they can afford to waste at this point, autumn might be too late for it.

Actually feeling kinda bad for Republicans after watching cable news and listening to NPR today, because the depravity and the insanity of the outrageous lies they've had to tell to defend Trump is beneath the dignity of even the lowest person. Then again they are doing it willingly, so fuck 'em.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I just don't see the Senate nuking the Filibuster for THIS. It's a major piece of political capital, and they don't gain anything from using it here IMO. Having the vote blocked by Democrats works to their advantage, since they can use it to campaign against Democratic seats in 2018, where the actual plan is hugely unpopular.

And there is no way their plan meets reconciliation.

Ogodei

LOL

And then you lose any two Senators and you can't get a thing passed. Murkowski and Moore-capito down about Medicaid cuts?

Edit: How the hell do they think they're going to hold a vote this month? We have no idea what they're even considering! 3 weeks, 3 days until the end of June.

There's also those couple of technicalities the Democrats are bringing up that could prevent it from even passing via reconciliation.

If they manage to push those issues enough to get it denied for reconciliation, it's instantly dead since the bill has to come from the House.

And then you lose any two Senators and you can't get a thing passed. Murkowski and Moore-capito down about Medicaid cuts?

Edit: How the hell do they think they're going to hold a vote this month? We have no idea what they're even considering! 3 weeks, 3 days until the end of June.

They only actually have about a week, since the CBO needs time to score before they can even do a vote. They also need to wait for Ryan to send the bill over to the Senate and he's taking his sweet time doing that.

Remaking the entire healthcare system of the US in a week. What could possibly go wrong!

Diablos

Teggy

Paul Ryan retweets this comment on an article that literally says that the provider is leaving because Trump refuses to pay cost sharing. Shameless.

Paul Ryan @SpeakerRyan

The collapse of #Obamacare continues. We must #RepealAndReplace.

Paul Ryan retweets this comment on an article that literally says that the provider is leaving because Trump refuses to pay cost sharing. Shameless.

Why would they put their name on a shitty bill when they can do stuff like this. It's a lot easier to deflect while sabotaging the current "broken" AHCA.

I'm trying to figure out this time table and it's making me laugh

So we're led to believe a bill that has no evidence of even existing beyond some half assed remarks about "oh yea, we've started on it" is going to

- Get fully written in a week
- Paul Ryan gets the okay for the bill to pass via reconciliation and passes it off to the Senate for realz this time
- Take the minimum 2 weeks to be scored by the CBO
- Have the senate bill qualify for reconciliation instantly (despite the House bill now about a month later and still not positively qualified for it)
- Have the score come back and instantly vote on it, despite it saying 20 million lose insurance or whatever and a massive negative news cycle
- Go back to the House, where it instantly passes again despite the proposed Senate Changes being stuff the FC specifically said they would absolutely not vote on

This will all happen in <1 month.

Yea okay, totally believable. That's absolutely a realistic time line and that's absolutely what's going to happen.

cartoon_soldier alt account?

- He's made false claims of voter fraud;
- Claimed Obama wiretapped him;
- Embarrasses the US abroad;
- Acts like a 5 year old
- Lies and lies

We live in a reality where a large group of people just DGAF.
Hearing people calling it the "Super Bowl in Washington" is too much lol.

Public interest and continued leaks are a major force in pushing this forward. Same with this upcoming hearing. A formal confirmation instead of "leaked" memos that Trump was trying to obstruct justice will be huge. GOP can continue to obfuscate and deflect, but not if public perception shifts too much against them. This is important.

Yeah more public pressure until some other distraction.
Any action will either come from Congress (haha) or the special counsel.
Besides you'll have conservative media talking about college campuses and mostly ignore the hearing.

Yeah more public pressure until some other distraction.
Any action will either come from Congress (haha) or the special counsel.
Besides you'll have conservative media talking about college campuses and mostly ignore the hearing.

How stupid is congress going to look if Special Counsel ends up taking everyone from Trump to Sessions down, while they're still fiddling with their dicks over unmasking?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It's so hard to imagine the situation we're in.

By all accounts in 2 days the former FBI Director will testify under oath that the sitting President attempted to influence him to shut down an active investigation.

I cannot conceive of any response to this from either side than immediate calls for Trump to testify himself and/or for an independent congressional committee.

Instead, I look forward to another 3 Republican Representatives and 1 additional Republican Senator taking it seriously, bringing the count to roughly 5 and 2.

Ogodei

I'm trying to figure out this time table and it's making me laugh

So we're led to believe a bill that has no evidence of even existing beyond some half assed remarks about "oh yea, we've started on it" is going to

- Get fully written in a week
- Paul Ryan gets the okay for the bill to pass via reconciliation and passes it off to the Senate for realz this time
- Take the minimum 2 weeks to be scored by the CBO
- Have the senate bill qualify for reconciliation instantly (despite the House bill now about a month later and still not positively qualified for it)
- Have the score come back and instantly vote on it, despite it saying 20 million lose insurance or whatever and a massive negative news cycle
- Go back to the House, where it instantly passes again despite the proposed Senate Changes being stuff the FC specifically said they would absolutely not vote on

This will all happen in <1 month.

Yea okay, totally believable. That's absolutely a realistic time line and that's absolutely what's going to happen.

Thing is the rewritten AHCA did kind of swing out of nowhere. Thought it was dead and suddenly it's back.

The CBO score is a definite roadblock as far as speed goes.

Edit: of course, there's always the "fuck the parliamentarian" route, but that's either a non-starter or something that will change the face of all legislation in the Senate going forward.

Thing is the rewritten AHCA did kind of swing out of nowhere. Thought it was dead and suddenly it's back.

The CBO score is a definite roadblock as far as speed goes.

The re-written AHCA took like 2 weeks to get to a vote. And that was with a bill actually existing and just being tweaked.

The Senate wants to start from 0 and have a bill ready to go in 1 week.

Gruco

Banned
Just 50 but that's not confirmed at all. If it doesn't meet reconciliation then I find it hard to believe that they nuke the filibuster to do this.
I am finding the contrast in the discussion and press coverage regarding the AHCA and the ACA to be completely fucked.

The ACA dealt with a number on non-budgetary regulatory issues in the health care market. No plan maximums, minimum guaranteed benefits, 26 year olds, rescission, preexisting conditions, and the individual mandate. The mandate is the only one which is credibly a reconciliation issue.

And yet, even though the AHCA deals with removing many of these same benefits, the press coverage is completely different. The ACA was all about whether the Dems could get to 60. The ACHA is all about whether the GOP can get to 50. There is no credible reason these two things should have a different standard.

Of course, there's a simple explanation for the difference. The Dems easily had 50 for the ACA, and the GOP will never approach 60 for the AHCA. So the press, in pursuit of an interesting story, lazily fixates in the closest number in terms of Senate composition.

There's more too it than that of course. The press way too readily accepted Mitch's 60 vote threshold for everything and expects them to employ whatever tactics will get a win now. Hand-wringing is a time honored tradition for the Democrats but the GOP gonna GOP.

The dynamic goalpost swapping for what counts as success, and the dismissal between what made 2009 so different from today are all import pieces of the media and the country's disfunction.

I guess what I am saying is, that Politico write up is garbage, and if the parliamentarian lets the AHCA slide, our government is an irredeemable shit show.

It's weird that people focus on 50.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
LOL

Just hoping when it is done Muller just drops bombs but that won't happen for a long time.

Senate health bill likely to have state waivers

The Senate is considering state waivers that would allow them to opt out of several of the the Affordable Care Act's insurer regulations, but not the ones protecting people with pre-existing conditions, according to two GOP aides.

What could be waived, per a senior GOP aide:

The ACA's essential health benefits.

Its regulation on how much of insurers' premium revenue must be spent on claims, called the Medical Loss Ratio requirement.

Its age rating band allowing older people to be charged no more than three times as much as younger people.

What couldn't be waived:

The ACA's provision that insurers must offer coverage to people with pre-existing conditions.
Its prohibition on plans charging people with pre-existing conditions more than healthy people. (The House allowed waivers of this provision under limited circumstances.)

The problem: Conservatives didn't like the idea, wanting more of the regulations to be waived.

Hope you're ready for those $5/month plans that cover absolutely nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom