• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixdean

One thing I've noticed from watching a ton of these, most of the time when these IC/LE dudes say they can't comment on classified information or conversations, they preface it by saying something like "don't take this as a confirmation or denial". None of these folks have said that about about the conversations with Trump about the Russia investigation.

Nobody provide context about what Rubio is doing or anything like that, that would be ridiculous

Yeah, people have a tendency to treat this thread like a live chat instead of a discussion forum. "Wow, did you see that?" is really pointless commentary if people aren't watching the same channel you are. So maybe let's say what Rubio actually said?

I don't know but would think that would be perjuring themselves.

But since these people know and are comfortable in their positions and understand the appropriate actions of their role in the government, it would be very easy for them to have been asked by Trump in a completely inappropriate way but still have felt unphased/unpressured by those requests and be able to answer in this way truthfully to the committee. Is the act of asking itself then obstruction becomes the question...

I agree, all their answers can be read as 'hedging'.

Practically, I'd imagine that perjury would not stop conflicting testimony in open/closed hearings. Closed hearings are classified, so to even bring perjury charges would require declassification or revelation of the content of the closed hearings.

I mean, beyond the Trump/Russia stuff, there are a class of congressional questions where even the stock non-answer of 'I would not talk about such things in an open session' would reveal too much -- I.E., 'Does the US intel community have the technology to turn on all cell phone cameras at any time?'

Yep. Here we go.

I still think their plan is ram it through, people get crushed because of horrible premiums/losing insurance, blame Obamacare for the problems, and then offer some sort of tax credit in the 2018 elections to bribe voters.

It's a smarter plan than I'd like to give the Republican party credit for, but Mitch McConnell is no fool. He wouldn't be making this move unless there's some reason for the party to benefit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Note when this news is coming out about McConnell starting to fast-track this.

It's a smarter plan than I'd like to give the Republican party credit for, but Mitch McConnell is no fool. He wouldn't be making this move unless there's some reason for the party to benefit.

I think the only benefit for them right now is greed and "Take that, Obama!"

Blader

His Senate majority is pretty safe, and the GOP fears primary challengers who will take them to task for not making good on their seven-year pledge to repeal Obamacare than they fear a wave of Democrats/independents in red districts and states.

He just really hates Obama.

There's no other benefit to the party. Poll after poll show this will crush the GOP in 2018, and even if healthcare tanks without a repeal due to Trump sabotage, they will be blamed. They have no out for this other than making insurance better, which they cannot do.

His Senate majority is pretty safe, and the GOP fears primary challengers who will take them to task for not making good on their seven-year pledge to repeal Obamacare than they fear a wave of Democrats/independents in red districts and states.

His majority is not safe if this passes. Cutting insurance from 10+ million people THIS YEAR will not only cause people to literally die, but it will send ripples through the system, potentially bringing the economy down with it.

sangreal

I thought they were supposed to finish (start) their own bill this week for a vote before July 4

When they say house-passed AHCA, that is just a procedural step so they can reconcile it with their changes right? I find it hard to believe they would want to pass the AHCA as is. If anything, I think voting on the House AHCA would be a sign the Senate is moving on

I thought they were supposed to finish (start) their own bill this week for a vote before July 4

When they say house-passed AHCA, that is just a procedural step so they can reconcile it with their changes right? I find it hard to believe they would want to pass the AHCA as is

I feel like the GOP is honestly going to bank on "People will vote for us no matter what!" when passing this shit and you know what? They're probably not wrong. Fuck this country.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I feel like the GOP is honestly going to bank on "People will vote for us no matter what!" when passing this shit and you know what? They're probably not wrong. Fuck this country.

Right, and it is incredibly disheartening. I am still of the mindset the DNC has no idea how to handle this effectively.

sangreal

Sure, but GOP Senators have been tripping over themselves to say how much they hate the House bill. I would at least expect some window dressing

For the people saying there will be consequences to the Republican Party on this, I really really hope you're right. This bill is about as cruel as I've seen in a while and fast-tracking a vote on it might be a new low for McConnell.

Right, and it is incredibly disheartening. I am still of the mindset the DNC has no idea how to handle this effectively.

Math doesn't allow them to handle this effectively. Since it seems like the only thing people care about in politicians is excitement/would I have a beer with them, that's about the only thing they can do in order to get people out to vote I guess.

I want to believe and I know Dems are doing way better, but its disheartening as fuck to see shit like Handel saying "I don't believe in a livable wage" and she STILL is most likely a lock to win over Ossoff.

Yes, she's such a lock, that Ossoff has been showing a small margin over her for awhile now, and undecideds are breaking more for him than her.

That's not what anyone should ever call "a lock"

I remember the night after the election, seeing a post on my local FB feed from a coworker's partner being passed around, about how they felt they were being treated unfairly because they were being open about voting for Trump and Republicans.

I just can't find any sympathy for people who'd support such awful things, but they cry rivers of tears because they think they're the actual victims.

I know a lot of my feelings are just like screaming into a void of people who'd think the same way, but I can't ever imagine becoming friends with people like that ever again. It feels permanently broken. Why would I want to know or get closer to terrible people who support even bigger monsters?

Blader

The special elections of the last few months prove this is not true AT ALL

They won those elections, though.

sangreal said:
Sure, but GOP Senators have been tripping over themselves to say how much they hate the House bill. I would at least expect some window dressing

They'll all take the Bill Cassidy approach: throw cold water on the AHCA in public for weeks, then suddenly do a 180, talk about how they're so much more encouraged by the direction the bill is moving in (when it's virtually the same bill), and how they can't wait to vote for it.

The reluctance of less-than-far-right GOP senators is a complete non-factor because these are exactly the kinds of Republicans who fold, every time, without fail.

PBY

Banned
The stories about Democrats gloating after the House vote, true or not, do us all zero favors.

Honestly, to me that doesn't matter. To me what does matter is this fucking Russia thing.

Its kinda morphed into this monster (that I'm not sure anyone really cares about) that is now this daily reality show of bullshit. I don't even want to watch this Comey hearing, because its masked nearly everything else that is going down right now, most of which is more important from a messaging standpoint.

The stories about Democrats gloating after the House vote, true or not, do us all zero favors.

The very fact that each and every Democrat has to be a perfect saint or lose votes, yet Republicans can literally rape women and physically assault people but as long as they're R, they're all set is just mind-numbing.

They won those elections, though.

But, as I'm sure will be stated over and over again until 2018, they won by significantly less than they should've. Elections that should've been locks requiring little-to-no effort resulted in Republicans/Republican allies spending millions out of fear of losing.

kirblar

Honestly, to me that doesn't matter. To me what does matter is this fucking Russia thing.

Its kinda morphed into this monster (that I'm not sure anyone really cares about) that is now this daily reality show of bullshit. I don't even want to watch this Comey hearing, because its masked nearly everything else that is going down right now, most of which is more important from a messaging standpoint.
That you're concerned about "messaging" when it comes to Comey is absolutely unreal.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

When they say house-passed AHCA, that is just a procedural step so they can reconcile it with their changes right? I find it hard to believe they would want to pass the AHCA as is. If anything, I think voting on the House AHCA would be a sign the Senate is moving on

Even if they amend it in nature of a replacement, they're still technically voting on the house AHCA for the purpose of rules and procedures.

I'd be shocked if they pass AHCA without any amendment, but less shocked than if they never pass anything.

It's unfortunate, considering how it keeps the focus on Trump and off the disastrous policies of the Republican party.

The very fact that each and every Democrat has to be a perfect saint or lose votes, yet Republicans can literally rape women and physically assault people but as long as they're R, they're all set is just mind-numbing.

Don't get me wrong, the double-standard is INSANE, but the action still plays into the shitty media narrative that Democrats care more about the W than they care about the classes they represent. Even if the standard is entirely illogical, we're playing a game of hearts and minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom