• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it... given the history of their actions I sincerely doubt it

Eh...

The bill has a 1-1 w/l ratio so far. It's been able to die once already, it can still die again. A bill that's constantly on very shaky ground like this doesn't really feel all that easy to say with confidence it will pass.

My read is that McConnell is going to make every effort to pass it but would be fine moving on if it proves too difficult. But don't think for a second he won't try every trick in the book to pass it first.

Yea, this seems likely. He just wants closure of some kind. And while he'll greatly prefer it passes and will work hard to make sure it does, if it doesn't or looks to be devastating in 2018, oh well.

Kevinroc

My read is that McConnell is going to make every effort to pass it but would be fine moving on if it proves too difficult. But don't think for a second he won't try every trick in the book to pass it first.

There was an article on Vox just the other day that basically said this.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...ublicans-obamacare-repeal-vote-show-em-a-body

(But I think this article was posted before the GOP began projecting the confidence that has us so worried right now.)

I've been getting some of the ads since I'm in a close media market and Murphy's major competition looked more like he was running the Bernie Sanders presidential campaign than his own bid for governor. Seriously, they were like half Bernie speaking, then a voice over with the candidate sitting in a room with kids saying nothing. If you were just flipping through you couldn't tell the NJ presidential primary was over.

Yea it's hard to run as an insurgent, but when your own positive ads don't feature you prominently, that's a problem.

Oh yeah it was Bad and he didn't even really try. I'm also content with what I know about Murphy.

I was more speaking to, because of the county Dem power, it's hard to have a contested primary in New Jersey or, at least, run an insurgent campaign.

I don't know, how many voters in Kentucky who relied on the state exchange for healthcare then immediately elected Brownback, who ran on a platform of abolishing that exchange? Even if the Medicaid cuts/repeal happened instantly (which they won't; they'll be stretched out over time to minimize the political blowback in '18 and '20), I'm just not convinced that the majority of Republican voters in those deep red states that rely heavily on Medicaid will ever be able to get themselves to vote for a Democratic president.

I just feel like the identity politics of "I'm a Republican, and the Democrats are our blood enemies" is just too firmly entrenched into a lot of people's minds down there, and that even the loss of their Medicaid will help enough of them to clear that hurdle. I've seen it in my own parents; the grip that the Republican identity has on these people, even when in conflict with their self-interests, just defies reason.
I'm not even saying it would work but in AR/WV/LA's case these are all first-term senators, and if it's a matter of life or death then we need to try.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/872500344462376962
John Harwood (@JohnJHarwood)
just-released Quinnipiac Poll shows Trump hitting new low: 34% approve, 57% disapprove

DBu_a5OXUAEjDfA.jpg

Peter Sullivan‏ @PeterSullivan4 30m30 minutes ago
More
Cornyn says the Medicaid cap growth rate was marked "TBD" on yesterday's presentation

The Senate may well pass a version of the ACHA but there are still some big barriers to get past.

Holmes

Oh yeah it was Bad and he didn't even really try. I'm also content with what I know about Murphy.

I was more speaking to, because of the county Dem power, it's hard to have a contested primary in New Jersey or, at least, run an insurgent campaign.
Well, sure, but Murphy didn't even break 50% of the vote. If Wiz wasn't shitty, and Johnson didn't suck up so much anti-Murphy votes, it could've been competitive. I don't think Murphy will be bad, though.

Blader

Christ, who are the 9 percent of Americans with no opinion about President Donald Trump?

The Senate may well pass a version of the ACHA but there are still some big barriers to get past.

lol, no wonder that Powerpoint was so effective! Just gloss over all the obvious problems and policy disagreements, and passing the bill is easy as hell.

Ogodei

I mean, other than Mueller's criminal investigation it is all noise and bullshit. And that's proceeding in radio silence as it should instead of all this obsession over oppodroppototoro. The Senate hearings are not going to lead to anything. The House sure isn't.

It's bad messaging for the GOP and that's enough for me.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
There are probably 9+% of Americans who have no opinion on any particular topic including "music," "fucking," and "relaxing on a pleasant beach." Some people are just barely sentient.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why are so many people on Twitter accusing Coats of covering up for Trump? I thought he just couldn't say anything because it was under investigation.

Blader

There's no legal basis for that refusal, as the committee made very clear.

He said "I don't feel comfortable in a public setting" and will comment on this in the closed sessions after.

I mean this makes sense. Admitting you were politically wrong about your favorite team takes a lot of self reflection. These people's world views have been shaped and an admittance of being wrong makes that whole thing crumble. When they lose insurance and have to watch those close to them suffer, the self reflection becomes easier because their worlds are already crumbling.

Ogodei

The thing is that they don't need to do underhanded things. Just play politics. Sling some mud. Get nasty, but with the truth. Republicans have been nothing but pure evil over these past few years. Use that against them. Be real. Stop acting like you are "above it all." The "we go high" mantra? Enough. All it does is make you appear like you are disconnected.

Watching Ossoff last night was frustrating. He was so calm and collected he was the exact caricature of the "academic elite" that republicans are always slamming. It's frustrating. We need more Bidens and Kanders--people who are real, aren't afraid to talk back, yell, get angry.

He might be leaning in to sexism in his own way, play the calm man against the emotional woman.

pigeon

Banned
He said "I don't feel comfortable in a public setting" and will comment on this in the closed sessions after.

Right. There's no legal basis for saying that. The reason you hold questions for the closed session is that the topic is classified. But this topic is not classified.

Nor did he commit explicitly to commenting in the closed session -- he said he would need to speak with White House counsel.

studyguy

Expecting Senate to ram something through, shit it out to the house and the HFC to get cowed into passing literally anything so they don't show up in 2018 empty handed yet again. Like I don't know what anyone would think of going so many years setting up expectations and coming up with squat. At this point I have to imagine GOP congress is a man at sea grasping for literally anything that will save them. Till the vote is counted and the bill is dead I assume it's gonna roll.

Also in wtf news

https://twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/872505892616507396
Julie Davis (@juliehdavis)
In middle of infrastructure speech, Trump praises Saudi Arabia, says they're going to "stop the funding of radical Islamic terrorism."

Right. There's no legal basis for saying that. The reason you hold questions for the closed session is that the topic is classified. But this topic is not classified.

Nor did he commit explicitly to commenting in the closed session -- he said he would need to speak with White House counsel.

Yes, but McCabe also confirmed his conversations with Comey can't be commented because there's a criminal investigation. Obviously obstruction. So it makes sense some intel dudes won't comment on it.

I don't know. I"m not happy with his responses, but I'm not in the "he's part of the cover up" camp yet.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sites/default/files/documents/os-jcomey-060817.pdf

Comey's opening statement tomorrow.

A few moments later, the President said, ”I need loyalty, I expect loyalty."
I didn't move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the
awkward silence that followed. We simply looked at each other in silence. The
conversation then moved on, but he returned to the subject near the end of our
dinner.
At one point, I explained why it was so important that the FBI and the
Department of Justice be independent of the White House. I said it was a paradox:
Throughout history, some Presidents have decided that because ”problems" come
from Justice, they should try to hold the Department close. But blurring those
boundaries ultimately makes the problems worse by undermining public trust in
the institutions and their work.
Near the end of our dinner, the President returned to the subject of my job,
saying he was very glad I wanted to stay, adding that he had heard great things
about me from Jim Mattis, Jeff Sessions, and many others. He then said, ”I need
loyalty." I replied, ”You will always get honesty from me." He paused and then
said, ”That's what I want, honest loyalty." I paused, and then said, ”You will get
that from me." As I wrote in the memo I created immediately after the dinner, it is
possible we understood the phrase ”honest loyalty" differently, but I decided it
wouldn't be productive to push it further. The term – honest loyalty – had helped
end a very awkward conversation and my explanations had made clear what he
should expect
The President then returned to the topic of Mike Flynn, saying, ”He is a
good guy and has been through a lot." He repeated that Flynn hadn't done
anything wrong on his calls with the Russians, but had misled the Vice President.
He then said, ”I hope you can see your way clear to letting this go, to letting Flynn
go. He is a good guy. I hope you can let this go." I replied only that ”he is a good
guy." (In fact, I had a positive experience dealing with Mike Flynn when he was a
colleague as Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency at the beginning of my
term at FBI.) I did not say I would ”let this go."
The President returned briefly to the problem of leaks. I then got up and
left out the door by the grandfather clock, making my way through the large group
of people waiting there, including Mr. Priebus and the Vice President.

March 30 Phone Call
On the morning of March 30, the President called me at the FBI. He
described the Russia investigation as ”a cloud" that was impairing his ability to act
on behalf of the country. He said he had nothing to do with Russia, had not been
involved with hookers in Russia, and had always assumed he was being recorded
when in Russia. He asked what we could do to ”lift the cloud." I responded that
we were investigating the matter as quickly as we could, and that there would be
great benefit, if we didn't find anything, to our having done the work well. He
agreed, but then re-emphasized the problems this was causing him.

April 11 Phone Call
On the morning of April 11, the President called me and asked what I had
done about his request that I ”get out" that he is not personally under investigation.
I replied that I had passed his request to the Acting Deputy Attorney General, but I
had not heard back. He replied that ”the cloud" was getting in the way of his
ability to do his job. He said that perhaps he would have his people reach out to
the Acting Deputy Attorney General. I said that was the way his request should be
handled. I said the White House Counsel should contact the leadership of DOJ to
make the request, which was the traditional channel.
He said he would do that and added, ”Because I have been very loyal to
you, very loyal; we had that thing you know." I did not reply or ask him what he
meant by ”that thing." I said only that the way to handle it was to have the White
House Counsel call the Acting Deputy Attorney General. He said that was what
he would do and the call ended.
That was the last time I spoke with President Trump

Tomorrow will be fun.

Wilsongt

Ana Navarro @ananavarro
·
21m

In new poll, 34% of Americans approve of Donald Trump. For comparisons sake, 51% of American like brussel sprouts.

If we have to have Republicans, can we have more like Ana?

Throughout history, some Presidents have decided that because “problems” come
from Justice, they should try to hold the Department close. But blurring those
boundaries ultimately makes the problems worse by undermining public trust in
the institutions and their work.

Haha, Comey told Trump not to go "Full Nixon" without actually saying it outright

Ana Navarro @ananavarro
·
21m

In new poll, 34% of Americans approve of Donald Trump. For comparisons sake, 51% of American like brussel sprouts.

If we have to have Republicans, can we have more like Ana?

You can fry brussel sprouts and they get good. Not sure about Don though.

Loxley

I'm curious what will be going through Trump's brain if/when the AHCA passes and his approval ratings only go up by 1-2% for like a week before continuing their downward spiral.

Diablos

The last paragraph...
He said he would do that and added, “Because I have been very loyal to you, very loyal; we had that thing you know.” I did not reply or ask him what he meant by “that thing.” I said only that the way to handle it was to have the White House Counsel call the Acting Deputy Attorney General. He said that was what he would do and the call ended.

Hahahaha 😂😂😂

Averon

Don't expect people like this to flip until the reality of them having no healthcare is impossible for them to ignore. Right now it is all still just a possibility in their minds. But in 2018 when their premium explode or get a letter in the mail saying their coverage is gone, that is went you will see a shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom