• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Director of the US Patent and Trademark Office Michelle Lee resigned today, without explanation.

Lee, who has been director of the office since 2014, was a favored candidate by the tech sector, who thought she brought a balanced approach to patents. She is a former Google lawyer and was one of the first corporate lawyers to speak out about the problem of so-called "patent trolls." Lee took office at a time when the tech sector was at odds with the pharmaceutical lobby and trial lawyers over a proposed patent-reform law, which did not end up passing.

Leadership at the USPTO has been unclear since the Trump administration transitioned into power in January. Early news reports said that Lee, an Obama appointee, would remain. But that was followed by a period of a few months in which the USPTO wouldn't even confirm who was director.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...or-michelle-lee-has-resigned-without-warning/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Here's the real problem with our country today:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...-impeach-trump-no-matter-what-his-crimes.html
Trump Can Commit All the High Crimes He Wants. Republicans Aren't Going to Impeach Him.

Since the beginning of Donald Trump's presidency, or even before, Democrats have been waiting for the moment when the Republican Party's indulgence would snap. In every incremental advance of the Russia story, many hear the ticking hands of an ”impeachment clock." But there is no clock, and there will probably be no impeachment, at least not based on the field of Trumpian misdeeds currently at play. To imagine Republicans might turn on Trump over the Russia scandal to the point of deposing him from office is to misunderstand how they have been thinking about Trump and the presidency all along.

He can literally do whatever he wants and these scumbags won't do a thing.

Donald Trump said:
the GREAT STATE of OHIO

The guy can't help but lie every chance he gets.

Here's the real problem with our country today:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...-impeach-trump-no-matter-what-his-crimes.html

He can literally do whatever he wants and these scumbags won't do a thing.

Even if Dems control everything after 2018, I still think Trump serves his entire first term. I don't think he'll be brought down by any legal problems, but rather, by 1000 cuts from the media.

He's being Hillary Clinton'd via a million scandals all at once, and he doesn't even realize it.

Everyone around Trump, though, I think is in for a legal roller coaster.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239487631 said:
"Teachers don't know what to do it about it"

?

Your fucking job?
It's not that simple.

Sure you can throw a kid in detention but you also have to explain to kids why what they are saying is wrong. It's difficult to explain that just parroting the president is unacceptable

Morts

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239493083 said:
If only there was a profession dedicated to explaining things.

And if you have to explain to kids why what their parents are parroting is unacceptable?

I mean he already killed 9 civilians with the missile strike in April but he just got bipartisan praise for that move.

I don't know if he'd get impeached for murdering an American or not.

Gruco

Banned

Trump's obsequiousness towards the Saudi's and Russia combined with the situation in Qatar combined with his preemptive hatred of Iran combined with the early stage of the nukes deal is a really toxic mess, even without something like this having happened.

Hopefully we can count on all of the high level state department employees Trump has appointed to help steer this chaos towards a good outcome.

Teggy

Bam

Monica Alba @albamonica

DNI Coats on whether Pres Trump pressured him on Russia probe: "I don't believe it's appropriate for me to address that in a public session"
10:59 AM · Jun 7, 2017

Mark Warner is asking about obstruction of justice rn

Yeah, Coats/Rodgers are generally refusing to talk about it in open session.

I understand that it's the responsible thing to not just start spilling the beans on such things in an open hearing, but I would have loved to see them start squealing.

Grym

yeah but they both very much dodged whether Trump asked them to intervene by both saying basically "never in my career have I ever felt pressured" which the Rs will jump on as clearing up the whole ordeal (and I expect that to be the soundbyte played all over the news and in headlines tonight).

What the fuck? How do we go from 'no AHCA until after the midterms' to this in like a week?
It's pretty clear at this point that there's some unseen force inside the Republican party that makes not repealing Obamacare seem like an incredibly risky proposition to them. Every time this thing seems to be dying/dead it gets another kick in the tail and people who, logically, shouldn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole suddenly seem compelled to go to bat for it. I don't know if it's internal primary focused polling or some incredibly persuasive special interest group but at this point I think we've got to accept that the Republicans view Obamacare repeal as an electoral imperative in and of itself, with all other goals (for example, not killing one's own constituents) being distinctly secondary.

yeah but they both very much dodged whether Trump asked them to intervene by both saying basically "never in my career have I ever felt pressured" which the Rs will jump on as clearing up the whole ordeal.

Yeah. I have a semi-related question, if anyone knows the answer.

In situations where there is an open hearing followed by a closed hearing, what stops a person from basically lying in the open session, and then just saying 'I'd like to amend my statement in the open hearing' and change their answer substantially?

I.E., could Director Rodgers say "I've never felt pressured." in the open hearing, and then say in closed: "I'd like to amend my answer on pressure: Donald Trump has been blasting AC/DC outside my home at deafening levels because I won't put out a press release stating he has above-average sized hands."?

Gruco

Banned
It's pretty clear at this point that there's some unseen force inside the Republican party that makes not repealing Obamacare seem like an incredibly risky proposition to them. Every time this thing seems to be dying/dead it gets another kick in the tail and people who, logically, shouldn't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole suddenly seem compelled to go to bat for it. I don't know if it's internal primary focused polling or some incredibly persuasive special interest group but at this point I think we've got to accept that the Republicans view Obamacare repeal as an electoral imperative in and of itself, with all other goals (for example, not killing one's own constituents) being distinctly secondary.

IMO, the big question now is whether the health lobby will step it up and enter the fight. They've been willing to make statements without going to war because they've thought the Congressional odds were long and the support soft. Might be time for them to take this fight seriously.

numble

In situations where there is an open hearing followed by a closed hearing, what stops a person from basically lying in the open session, and then just saying 'I'd like to amend my statement in the open hearing' and change their answer substantially?

I.E., could Director Rodgers say "I've never felt pressured." in the open hearing, and then say in closed: "I'd like to amend my answer on pressure: Donald Trump has been blasting AC/DC outside my home at deafening levels because I won't put out a press release stating he has above-average sized hands."?
Perjury.

royalan

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239499407 said:
It's an ongoing investigation...

At this point, I don't think this matters much. There's so much information in the public sphere already.

These are career men. They have a personal investment in making sure the house looks in order, even if the house is actually on fire.

Grym

I don't know but would think that would be perjuring themselves.

But since these people know and are comfortable in their positions and understand the appropriate actions of their role in the government, it would be very easy for them to have been asked by Trump in a completely inappropriate way but still have felt unphased/unpressured by those requests and be able to answer in this way truthfully to the committee. Is the act of asking itself then obstruction becomes the question...

It's polling, and it's horrific. They need to deliver something big to their base, and killing Obamacare no matter how shitty the replacement is, is worth the political risk to try and survive 2018

IMO, the big question now is whether the health lobby will step it up and enter the fight. They've been willing to make statements without going to war because they've thought the Congressional odds were long and the support soft. Might be time for them to take this fight seriously.
Business groups always treat Republicans with kid gloves. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom