• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

I feel like nothing will come out of this Comey thing. Smoke and mirrors and the narrative that will come out will be that Trump is not an experienced politician, mistakes were made but nothing was malicious or viewed as treason. same as Hillary.

Unfortunately, I think you are right regarding this hearing. There just isn't enough forceful action on Trumps part to shock people. Who knows what will come up in the investigation, but this doesn't seem big enough to make an immediate difference.

If public opinion is swayed, the members of Congress will change their tune. This being blasted on major networks may be the tipping point.

Republican voters don't get their information from major networks.

At the very least, people need to be of the mindset that our only opportunity to get rid of this guy is at the ballot box, regardless of what any investigation uncovers. 2018 midterms to hopefully neuter his policy goals, and then 2020 to finally get rid of him proper.

Coolluck

Trump's 3 time statement seems to be true. Even if they're investigating him now, why was there such a huge delay between last year and now?

I feel like nothing will come out of this Comey thing. Smoke and mirrors and the narrative that will come out will be that Trump is not an experienced politician, mistakes were made but nothing was malicious or viewed as treason. same as Hillary.

How can you read his comments on Loyalty and Flynn and walk away thinking this? Even Johm McCain is less reserved.

John McCain so concerned today
Trump's 3 time statement seems to be true. Even if they're investigating him now, why was there such a huge delay between last year and now?
#1 complex investigations are slow.
#2 everybody was terrified of being seen as sabotaging the election except the collusion crew

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They can only go where the evidence takes them. You don't just start tear down a building randomly, you look for cracks in the wall, places of structural weakness, and start there. So you start with Flynn and Manafort and see where they lead, then you investigate their connections and so on and so forth until you've got a spider-web of cracks in the wall and everyone's caught up in it.

Ourobolus

Banned
The right is gonna spin this so hard:

In that context, prior to the January 6 meeting, I discussed with the FBI’s
leadership team whether I should be prepared to assure President-Elect Trump that
we were not investigating him personally. That was true; we did not have an open
counter-intelligence case on him.
We agreed I should do so if circumstances
warranted.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

They'll try, but the wording is very specific. He says they didn't have "an open counter-intelligence case" not that they didn't have an open case. Also that it "was" true. Both of those phrasings are going to be followed up on, this committee would have to be incompetent not to do so.

That's correct. All you're going to see on Fox News is the confirmation of there being no open investigation on Donald Trump, as stated by James Comey.

The conversation on Flynn will be swept under the rug as just someone looking out for his friend, something anyone would do, particularly in light of the lack of an investigation as mentioned above.

And all of our conservative family members will continue to see Trump as the victim of the media and enraged liberals.

2020, y'all.

Trump is in a funny spot with this

He can say "SEE I WAS RIGHT" about the three times not investigating thing

...but doing so confirms the rest of Comey's statement. Which includes the obstruction of justice stuff.

Fox318

Even if lets say Trump is completely innocent in every single regard with everything that has happened regarding Russia and everything else.

Why would you even handle it the way he has? He's made so many misteps for somebody whos claim to fame was media and perception.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Even if lets say Trump is completely innocent in every single regard with everything that has happened regarding Russia and everything else.

Why would you even handle it the way he has? He's made so many misteps for somebody whos claim to fame was media and perception.

He's a moron.

The right doesn't care. They now have their talking points.

Who cares. All of these statements we're cleared by Mueller. Neither him nor Comey give a shit what the politics of this are. The right can say what they want while Mueller builds his case. McCabe basically confirmed today that Trumps under Criminal investigation anyway.

I swear, Trump's could get led away in handcuffs on national television and we're still going to have posters worried about right wing talking points and saying nothing will come of it.

Who cares. All of these statements we're cleared by Mueller. Neither him nor Comey care what the politics of this are. The right can say what they want while Mueller builds his case. McCabe basically confirmed today that Trumps under Criminal investigation anyway.

I haven't seen what McCabe has said, but when I read the Comey statement, my takeaway is what it was -- there's nothing in it that would sway someone on the right. I thought it actually helped Trump much more than it hurt, because the damaging stuff can be spun and we already knew it anyway, and the new bit is that Comey actually did tell Trump multiple times that he wasn't being investigated. Parse that, say it refers to something specific while still allowing for other things, I mean, that's fair and plausible, but that's not going to be the spin on the right.

And like it or not, the opinion of right wing voters matters a heck of a lot more than what Mueller ends up finding.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Herb Kohl's nephew running in WI-06.

R+8 district.

Basically everything within 16 points is play right now right?
It's to the Dem advantage that shit is going down now, and not next year. It attracts people to run.

I swear, Trump's could get led away in handcuffs on national television and we're still going to have posters worried about right wing talking points and saying nothing will come of it.

"Public pressure" means nothing if it's not translated into actions.

Indictments, Rs losing seats. This will take time to materialise.

The constant outrage about what Trump says or does gets us nowhere. He still has the Republican base with him.

WI-06 is a tough ask. The I-41/43 corridors are as rust belty as it gets in this state and holds 4 total seats. Kohl has name recognition at least, which is an important starting point for a House candidate.
In the 2016 presidential election, the district voted 55% for Donald Trump and 38% for Hillary Clinton.
Trivia time!-- When Trump seemingly at random talked about the paper industry suffering under the Paris Agreement, WI-06 (and 08) is the precise target of that statement.
Basically everything within 16 points is play right now right?
It's to the Dem advantage that shit is going down now, and not next year. It attracts people to run.
I don't disagree, but it's not just the R+ level. It's why it's that number that makes the district hard.

Impeachment is a political process. Donald Trump is not being removed from office or led away in handcuffs without the right wing base coming on board. And, barring some about face from Fox News, that's not going to happen in this lifetime.

Blader

That Trump brought up hookers, apropos of nothing, in that phone call means there were totally hookers.

The piss tape is real.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That Trump brought up hookers, apropos of nothing, in that phone call means there were totally hookers.

The piss tape is real.

A man of any intelligence would say, i'm aware of suggested protocol when visiting Russia.

Teggy

Maybe I'm too cynical, but based on past performance I don't see the Republican congress doing anything after this testimony, and that's all that matters right now.

Abby D. Phillip‏ @abbydphillip 3 minutes ago
The RNC just emailed parts of Comey's statement in Trump's defense. Will be hard for them to cast doubt on the rest of his testimony now.

--------------------------------

As stated, they have their talking points. This is all that the brain-dead Fox News viewer is going to hear about.

Maybe I'm too cynical, but based on past performance I don't see the Republican congress doing anything after this testimony, and that's all that matters right now.

I don't think anyone expects anyone to do anything until Mueller finishes his investigation.

Fox318

Right now Trumps political power is basically Fox New's ability to spin it in his favor.

Next steps will be people like Goldberg on Fox news saying "Sure he may have committed treason but at least he doesn't want unborn babies murdered"

I'm glad they're getting their talking points ready now because it's gonna make that spin look even dumber when someone asks Comey to clarify tomorrow and he makes it clear that, at the time, President Trump wasn't under investigation but can't confirm whether or not that's still the case or changed before he left.

You know, like how they bandied about Clapper saying the same thing until he clarified.

Loxley

Right now Trumps political power is basically Fox New's ability to spin it in his favor.

Next steps will be people like Goldberg on Fox news saying "Sure he may have committed treason but at least he doesn't want unborn babies murdered"

Yep, they'll spin it like "Hey, yeah, he's done some regrettable things, but at least he's not a democrat".

Holy shit the detail in Comey's recollection of events. This dude probably has memos for days.

He reminds me of my current boss who is able to recite, verbatim, discussions that happened in meetings like two years ago.

John Dean also claimed to have superhuman memory of conversations to the point that they called him the Human Tape Recorder. When it was revealed, he was delighted that there would be proof of his testimony. Ironically, it turned out that what he thought were precise recollections of conversations ended up not being so precise at all, even though he gave elaborate details and specific words. This ended up being a very good experiment on the limits of human memory and is cited in courts to this day - you can be extremely sure about the contents of a conversation but most people are only capable of getting the gist of it right, not actual sequences of words.

You guys are pretty eager to believe Fox News can spin this when they've never been able to successfully spin this Russian stuff before.

It's still around. People still care about it. It's still slowing down his presidency.

jmdajr

CNN IS FUKING HYPE!

4ae2a9f8_o.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom