• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want Bernie to run really either but this is a ridiculous thing to say.

Also Bernie lost the 16 Virginia primary 64/35, and this is going to be like a 56/44 race? Maybe slightly lower once Fairfax County continues to come in.

I mean, I don't think Bernie should run, but. That's a bad takeaway?

kadotsu

Banned
Hope Periello's loss takes away that idiotic idea that Bernie should run in 2020.

It is sad that "The Revolution" could not be bothered to show up for the grind that is needed for change. Maybe they can muster all their energy to vote 3rd party in the mid-terms.

Bernie keeps trying to primary other Democrats and keeps losing. He's an idiot and should stop giving away any of his remaining leverage

Perriello was endorsed by the major actors of the Obama, Clinton, and Bernie circles. Northam was endorsed by major VA state players.

Quist was basically engineered to run by Schweitzer.

That is a bad takeaway.

#HotTake: This shows that what we should be doing to win state and local elections from now until 2020 is ensuring our state and local parties are properly funded and supported, not trying to dictate terms or pick candidates. People from area know who people in area prefer.

Bernie keeps trying to primary other Democrats and keeps losing. He's an idiot and should stop giving away any of his remaining leverage

If that's your takeaway, I don't understand. Not every race is Hillary/Bernie and endorsements don't ensure wins. If they did, our president would be very different.

FyreWulff

If that's your takeaway, I don't understand. Not every race is Hillary/Bernie and endorsements don't ensure wins. If they did, our president would be very different.

It's my takeaway because he stuck his nose into my city election at the primary level (Omaha) to primary out the other Dem candidates with a safe pick and of course completely disappeared for the general.

He needs to spine up or fuck off, put some skin in the game, as it is he's pretty obviously just Dem Trump, all about appearances and not about any conviction.

We had a much better candidate that was pro-woman, literally brought himself up from the streets and violence, started his own business.. Bernie backed the conservative anti-woman establishment Dem that already had tons of money behind him. Some revolution, there.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
#HotTake: This shows that what we should be doing to win state and local elections from now until 2020 is ensuring our state and local parties are properly funded and supported, not trying to dictate terms or pick candidates. People from area know who people in area prefer.

Not a particularly hot take...

It's my takeaway because he stuck his nose into my city election at the primary level (Omaha) to primary out the other Dem candidates with a safe pick and of course completely disappeared for the general.

He needs to spine up or fuck off, put some skin in the game, as it is he's pretty obviously just Dem Trump, all about appearances and not about any conviction.

I'm not sure he should have done anything in the Omaha election, you're probably right about that. But trying to pin every election as if its a referendum on Bernie, Hillary or whatever is kind of silly. People vote for a lot of different reasons.

kirblar

@mattyglesias 1m1 minute ago

The really striking thing about Corey Stewart's confederate nostalgia is that he's from Minnesota
This actually doesn't surprise me. Being the capital of the confederacy leads to it getting dealt with point-black in 4th grade history.

Perriello was endorsed by Bernie's people and Warrens' people and Hillary's people and Obama's people.

This is probably a data point in favor of "local endorsements matter more than national endorsements" instead of anything else.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Perriello was endorsed by Bernie's people and Warrens' people and Hillary's people and Obama's people.

This is probably a data point in favor of "local endorsements matter more than national endorsements" instead of anything else.

Yea. Local > national, especially at the local level.

Kusagari

I could see national endorsements mattering if both candidates were unknown. Otherwise, I doubt they mean anything; especially compared to local.

kirblar

@Redistrict

There's a new name for the voters most people thought of as VA's moderate Republicans a few years ago: Democrats.
@waldojaquith

Waldo Jaquith Retweeted Dave Wasserman

Huge turnout among Dems is supported by lots of former Republicans. The remaining Republicans are Trump Republicans.
This seems like a good explanation for what's going on.

Holmes

The story of this primary is the neo nazi who calls people cucks and fuckin loves the confederacy nearly beating Ed Gillespie
I think the story is that this might happen elsewhere during the 2018 primaries and some crazies will squeak through.

An Amodei retirement could lead to an Angle nomination in NV-04.

kirblar

But are they doing this because they want to choose their opponent or their candidate?
VA's got a lot of Romney Republican-types.

There was a "R voting in D because they're mad at Trump" voter in the post article who wasn't sure if she'd vote D in November- I think part of it is also that people want to be able to have a voice in the winner, and if they perceive that one race "matters" (a la '08 w/ Clinton/Obama) they may hop over to have a say before it turns into a blowout later.

Slayven

I love poligaf, you guys can find a dog catcher race in Broken Neck, Arizona population 435 and have the polls and the tea.

Kirblar would probably have a link to the debate being b broadcast on shortwave radio

I love poligaf, you guys can find a dog catcher race in Broken Neck, Arizona population 435 and have the polls and the tea.

Kirblar would probably have a link to the debate being b broadcast on shortwave radio

They also know the names, populations and histories of the last 50 elections of every state, providence and sector of every country on the planet.

There were words and numbers flying around with last week's UK election that I had never even heard before.

To expand on this slightly: those further left not being a large enough bloc to exert control of the party is entirely why the Democrats are so mixed in the first place; the Democrats are still very much a coalition party and while that doesn't mean that various interests in the coalition are nessecarily opposed to each other it does mean that they have very different priorities that results in a party that doesn't, say, have a clear loud message on immigration because immigration is only a huge make or break issue for some fraction of the base. This is not how the GOP base is structured whatsoever and it always places us at a disadvantage.

To be clear, I'm not happy with this state of affairs, nor am I defending it as the best way for the party to be, but I do think that this is an issue that is less about incompetance from politicians and more about a very scattered voter base that usually bands together out of survival. Unifying the voters is the most effective way to fix this

That bloc's big problem is that they claimed a major political revolution was underway but the reality was that it wasn't. Things were mostly normal and there wasn't some existential sense of urgency among all eligible voters. The folks who never vote didn't come out in a major way. Thus, the Sanders crowd was pleading with likely voters who don't agree with the left or are firmly with the GOP/Democrats because that's their team. Getting those kinds of voters who are fatally risk-averse to rock the boat in hope of a better future isn't going to happen. They're going to stick with whatever is prevailing and be a follower rather than go bold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom