• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a 5 point Hillary state where she failed to cross 50% and was potentially buoyed by a popular, hometown VP.

I don't want to make a prediction without more data, but Northam seems like a uniquely poor fit to run against someone like Stewart.

Yeah, I peg Northram beating Gillespie without a second thought but Stewart is a wild card.

kirblar

It was a 5 point Hillary state where she failed to cross 50% and was potentially buoyed by a popular, hometown VP.

I don't want to make a prediction without more data, but Northam seems like a uniquely poor fit to run against someone like Stewart.
Gillespie's the guy who took Warner to a shock squeaker in '12. He worries me because he's a more normal candidate, and boring tends to do well here.

x v Stewart doesn't bother me because this isn't a good state OR good timing for Trump tactics. I don't think Clinton really needed Kaine for the help in the state, and I really hope that wasn't a reason she picked him.

lol if what finally does Trump in was calling the AHCA "mean"

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/874779188301090816

41d.png

Whoever wins the Democratic primary will be fine in the general regardless of who wins on the GOP side, short of a major scandal

I get people here wanted Periello to win (myself included), but Northram is fine. With shifting demographics in VA and the fact that Trump is in office, he has a clear advantage

Stewart certainly isn't anything to fear at least

How awful that local politicians have more influence in a local race than "national" leaders...

I, for one, think this is a good thing. The people of Virginia would rather vote for someone who is more focused on their own state rather than someone thinking nationally. Furthermore, it's another reminder that the 50-state strategy is the way to go.

Gillespie's the guy who took Warner to a shock squeaker in '12. He worries me because he's a more normal candidate, and boring tends to do well here.

x v Stewart doesn't bother me because this isn't a good state OR good timing for Trump tactics. I don't think Clinton really needed Kaine for the help in the state, and I really hope that wasn't a reason she picked him.

Northam vs Gillespie is very easy to see how it goes down. I am not worried about that.

The TIMING of the race being in a Trump presidency would predict a Dem win, but Stewart is basically leaning into racial politics more than Trump did. That is an x factor I don't know if you can really predict for.

I still think Northam will win, probably more than a decent amount, but I would be more nervous.

Ugh, Perriello was so good. I'm mad again, even though I expected this.

Crocodile

As an outsider to Virginia politics, I thought Periello seemed super cool but the electorate of Virginia has spoken. I wish Northram all the best in the fall!

I have a few friends who moved to Virginia recently but I haven't spoken to them in a while. I wonder what their opinion was on this race.

Virginia rejected Trumpism last year pretty soundly so idk if the dynamics that made Hillary a bad candidate against Trump will screw over Northam against Stewart. But after last year I'd rather not gamble on getting to run against nutjob candidates.

Too bad for Perriello. On to November I guess. Hope they can make up solid ground in the House.

kirblar

Wagner was the "moderate" who ran on "actually we can't afford a tax cut right now"
There's some history to this- the Dems in the state (Warner, Kaine) took the governorship then Senate seats in the wake of Jim Gilmore's disastous plan to remove the property tax on cars.

It caused a massive budget deficit and had to be stopped in its tracks when it was at 60% of the previous rates because they literally couldn't afford to take it down further. So... for those of us old to remember, massive tax cut promises get an immediate stinkeye.
Virginia rejected Trumpism last year pretty soundly so idk if the dynamics that made Hillary a bad candidate against Trump will screw over Northam against Stewart. But after last year I'd rather not gamble on nutjob candidates.

Too bad for Perriello. On to November I guess.
I think Hillary was a good candidate against Trump... in Virginia. Not everywhere else. (This may have biased people's internal calculuses in the party to some degree, actually.)

Virginia rejected Trumpism last year pretty soundly so idk if the dynamics that made Hillary a bad candidate against Trump will screw over Northam against Stewart. But after last year I'd rather not gamble on getting to run against nutjob candidates.

Too bad for Perriello. On to November I guess. Hope they can make up solid ground in the House.

Right, it's not like this is Iowa or Ohio or a state that voted for Trump. Virignia soundly rejected him last November. Not sure why anyone would think a Trump-esque candidate would do well there in an offyear election when Trump's approval ratings are so low anyway.

To be fair, Warner lost ground in large part due to the perception that he was ignoring his state in favor of DC. He took the race for granted and "almost" lost as a result. I don't think this speaks to Gillespie being a good candidate...in fact I expect him to soundly lose.

D: 287,750 (57.26%)
R: 214,759 (42.74%)

D margin keeps going up.

In addition to having the hyper-educated NOVA and the military-heavy Norfolk areas, VA's 20% black.

This is not a Trump state.

I mean, Trump lost by 5 points and Hillary didn't clear 50%. That's not enough to just put an emphasis on it. It's a tilt-D state.

Ogodei

Early polls put Northam and Perriello both up over Gillespie, i'm not sure if anyone's polled about Stewart.

Northam will have the state Dem machine working overtime for him, is the advantage.

kirblar

To be fair, Warner lost ground in large part due to the perception that he was ignoring his state in favor of DC. He took the race for granted and "almost" lost as a result. I don't think this speaks to Gillespie being a good candidate...in fact I expect him to soundly lose.
Yeah, I didn't know what happened there other than I got home from work, and it was randomly close. He's really popular!

Holmes

I'm not freaked out? I just do not want Stewart on as the Republican nominee for governor, because I do not want Neo Nazis to be governors of states.
There's no indications that Stewart can win against Northam though. Until there are, I wouldn't worry about the possibility.

Everyone I know from Virginia, Democratic and indie, voted for Northam.

There's no indications that Stewart can win against Northam though. Until there are, I wouldn't worry about the possibility.

Everyone I know from Virginia, Democratic and indie, voted for Northam.

I mean, it's a state that was a 5-point Dem state and is a historical swing state and if Stewart wins, he will have a greater than 0% chance of winning the general! I believe that's worth being nervous about. I do not want him anywhere near a party line.

FyreWulff

I don't want Bernie to run really either but this is a ridiculous thing to say.

Bernie keeps trying to primary other Democrats and keeps losing. He's an idiot and should stop giving away any of his remaining leverage. he needs to start running and backing candidates against Republicans, but then he'd have to actually be running against some of his voters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom