• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixdean

This is bizarre.

You get that obstruction of justice is a violation of the president's constitutional duties and was the primary citation in Nixon's impeachment, right?

Yeah, but that was because Nixon fired the special prosecutor, preventing the finding of any additional wrongdoing. In this scenario, Mueller would have completed the investigation and found squat.

RDreamer

I'll be honest, if the only thing Mueller finds on Trump and co is obstruction of justice, then this whole thing will have been a total waste of time. What then? Trump on the stand testifying "well that depends on what the definition of 'hope' is"? Fuck that, if there's no collusion then Democrats should just move on.

And this is why the Democrats (and media) messaging has been pretty much horseshit. Full on collusion shouldn't be the bar. I feel like at this point unless we have tapes of Trump and Putin sitting down together planning things then no one is going to care about anything. It shouldn't be that at all. Obstruction of justice is a big deal, especially because Flynn is very likely to face some big consequences himself and that's what Trump was trying to obstruct. It's not nothing if no collusion is found. It's still very very likely no real definitive collision will ever be found. It doesn't need to be, though.

Trump really is illogical.

DCPyvhOWsAACInu

Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif

Teggy

I'll be honest, if the only thing Mueller finds on Trump and co is obstruction of justice, then this whole thing will have been a total waste of time. What then? Trump on the stand testifying "well that depends on what the definition of 'hope' is"? Fuck that, if there's no collusion then Democrats should just move on.

If he doesn't at least wind up prosecuting Flynn I'll be very surprised.

And this is why the Democrats (and media) messaging has been pretty much horseshit. Full on collusion shouldn't be the bar. I feel like at this point unless we have tapes of Trump and Putin sitting down together planning things then no one is going to care about anything. It shouldn't be that at all. Obstruction of justice is a big deal, especially because Flynn is very likely to face some big consequences himself and that's what Trump was trying to obstruct. It's not nothing if no collusion is found. It's still very very likely no real definitive collision will ever be found. It doesn't need to be, though.

Actually it's been good for this reason. We can't change reality; if he did something wrong, good! If he didn't, drag him around for years over it anyway.

They do this all the time. Ask Hillary.

I love poligaf, you guys can find a dog catcher race in Broken Neck, Arizona population 435 and have the polls and the tea.

Kirblar would probably have a link to the debate being b broadcast on shortwave radio

Quoting for the hillarity. There are a lot of wizkids here yet none seem to run, not even for dog catcher.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Quoting for the hillarity. There are a lot of wizkids here yet none seem to run, not even for dog catcher.

PolGAF is probably responsible for a lot of how I've recalibrated around politics and idealism just for sort of consistently exposing me to the nitty gritty electoral stuff that's going on all the time

pigeon

Banned
Yeah, but that was because Nixon fired the special prosecutor, preventing the finding of any additional wrongdoing. In this scenario, Mueller would have completed the investigation and found squat.

This is not at all correct. The smoking gun was a tape of Nixon discussing asking the FBI to slow down or halt their investigation -- which is something we already know Trump did.

In addition, though, in terms of firing people, Trump has already fired the FBI director to try to stop the investigation!

RDreamer

Actually it's been good for this reason. We can't change reality; if he did something wrong, good! If he didn't, drag him around for years over it anyway.

They do this all the time. Ask Hillary.

I'm saying drag him around for doing something wrong. Definitely keep that strategy. The problem is that people are harping on the only thing he could possibly be doing wrong is collusion and how we must find that out. No, we must find out everything he's done wrong or is doing wrong and what's happened with Russian interference.

Ogodei

They also know the names, populations and histories of the last 50 elections of every state, providence and sector of every country on the planet.

There were words and numbers flying around with last week's UK election that I had never even heard before.

I have been learning a shitton of stuff here and on the PennyArcade boards, which oddly enough also have a politics-heavy off-topic that runs about as blue as GAF.

Edit: funny thing is i went to Penny Arcade based on the quality of the community recommended by a friend, i kind of don't like the comic strip (though it has its moments)

Why would anybody want to run for dogcatcher?

Yeah it's kinda creepy. Like back in high school, there was a guy who's ambition was to be a funeral home director/mortician. Valuable job, needed service for grieving families, but I always got the creeps being around a teenager who wanted to grow up and embalm corpses.

I probably would have said the same thing in April when there was a lot of smoke around Trump's "satellites" but nothing overt coming from Trump directly.

But after Trump fired Comey and asked multiple intelligence directors to "lay-off" the Michael Flynn investigation, literally committing obstruction of justice, I'm now of the belief there is some real fire somewhere in all the smoke. The common adage is that "the coverup is bigger than the crime". Yes that adage is a bit cliche but the reason prosecutors/investigators go aggressively after the coverup is because the vast majority of people don't engage in a coverup if there was no crime. There are many instances too where the crime itself may be difficult to investigate and come to a clear conclusion but the coverup can be revealing because people often get sloppy and behave erratically over time when they have something to hide.

Someone is definitely going down from Trump's campaign. The question will be how close does it touch Trump directly. Trump might still be able to escape the scandal if the troubles stay exclusively to Michael Flynn and Paul Manafort, and none the business dealings touch Trump's interests whatsoever. Trump might be able to escape by throwing them under the bus. But the more Trump talks and tries to intimidate the prosecutors and officials running the investigation, the more he drags himself into whatever sweeping net they're going to use to catch wrong-doings from his administration and campaign.

Makai

This is not at all correct. The smoking gun was a tape of Nixon discussing asking the FBI to slow down or halt their investigation -- which is something we already know Trump did.

In addition, though, in terms of firing people, Trump has already fired the FBI director to try to stop the investigation!
This is going back, but someone remind me why Johnson was impeached - just because he was a Democrat?

I've been considering it at a local level, but I don't have the requirements necessary to realistically win in my town. I live in like the 2nd or 3rd wealthiest town in VT, that ends up being strangely conservative, and odds are they don't want to vote for a 27 year old liberal with no college degree who has worked in nights in manufacturing for the past ~7 years. If you're going to get involved you basically need to have your own personal savings which is why people with high paying jobs, inherited wealth, or business owners tend to get their shot at things. On top of that, a lot of states make things like city council seats and local level position essentially volunteer jobs--so unless you have a good source of income you can barely or outright can't survive on the pay you would get from your political position alone.

Plus I don't think I would weather opposition research well.

Vixdean

Yeah but that all stemmed from the firing of the special counsel, which changed the focus of the investigation from the break-in to obstruction. Besides that, plenty of people in Nixon's adminstration were eventually implicated and charged in connection to the break-in. Like I said, in a hypothetical scenario where Mueller finds no evidence of collusion, I really don't care about an obstruction accusation based mostly on Comey's testimony.

I probably would have said the same thing in April when there was a lot of smoke around Trump's "satellites" but nothing overt coming from Trump directly.

But after Trump fired Comey and asked multiple intelligence directors to "lay-off" the Michael Flynn investigation, literally committing obstruction of justice, I'm now of the belief there is some real fire somewhere in all the smoke. The common adage is that "the coverup is bigger than the crime". Yes that adage is a bit cliche but the reason prosecutors/investigators go aggressively after the coverup is because the vast majority of people don't engage in a coverup if there was no crime. There are many instances too where the crime itself may be difficult to investigate and come to a clear conclusion but the coverup can be revealing because people often get sloppy and behave erratically over time when they have something to hide.

Someone is definitely going down from Trump's campaign. The question will be how close does it touch Trump directly. Trump might still be able to escape the scandal if the troubles stay exclusively to Michael Flynn and Paul Manafort, and none the business dealings touch Trump's interests whatsoever. Trump might be able to escape by throwing them under the bus. But the more Trump talks and tries to intimidate the prosecutors and officials running the investigation, the more he drags himself into whatever sweeping net they're going to use to catch wrong-doings from his administration and campaign.
Besides I dont think Mueller is assembling a team of Mafia, FinSec, Enron and other specialized government lawyers just to bring an Obstruction of Justice charge.

NeoXChaos

https://twitter.com/LarrySabato/status/874818115280015360

Patricia Zengerle‏Verified account
@ReutersZengerle

Patricia Zengerle Retweeted Larry Sabato
What about Warner's re-election race a couple years ago? He won, but by a whisker.

Larry Sabato‏Verified account
@LarrySabato
Larry Sabato Retweeted Patricia Zengerle
2014 was an anti-Obama year--the wind was at Gillespie's back. 2017 may well be an anti-Trump year--the wind in Gillespie's face.

Northam should be okay.

pigeon

Banned
Yeah but that all stemmed from the firing of the special counsel, which changed the focus of the investigation from the break-in to obstruction. Besides that, plenty of people in Nixon's adminstration were eventually implicated and charged in connection to the break-in. Like I said, in a hypothetical scenario where Mueller finds no evidence of collusion, I really don't care about an obstruction accusation based mostly on Comey's testimony.

You ought to.

Besides I dont think Mueller is assembling a team of Mafia, FinSec, Enron and other specialized government lawyers just to bring an Obstruction of Justice charge.

It doesn't necessarily mean he's going for Treason either. When you're dealing with an investigation that has a lot of publicity and potentially implicates the President of the United States, you assemble an all-star team of lawyers and investigators so there's little to no doubt you got the verdict right. If he assembles this team and they push for any charges, you can almost rest assured that they're gonna stick.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Let us remember that Trump said, explicitly, on camera, that he intended to obstruct the investigation.

Ecotic

Ossoff is heavily running an ad here against Handel's attempt to strip funding from Planned Parenthood. I see it now at the near total expense of his positive ads. I don't think it's working for him, people liked the sunny, youthful, agenda-driven ads he was running earlier. The ones where he spoke to the camera and said 'here's what I want to do'.

Let us remember that Trump said, explicitly, on camera, that he intended to obstruct the investigation.

At some point, Trump will be called to testify in secret about why he fired Comey, and he's going to have to swear that he did it because Comey was unfair to Hillary Clinton. Does anyone think he will be able to keep this up for more than two minutes?

Teggy

Nearly 200 Democratic members of Congress agreed to file a lawsuit Wednesday against President Trump alleging that by retaining interests in a global business empire he has violated constitutional restrictions on taking gifts and benefits from foreign leaders.

The lead senator filing the complaint in federal district court, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), said Tuesday that the lawsuit has already drawn more congressional plaintiffs — 196 — than any legal action previously taken against a president. No Republicans had joined in the lawsuit so far, although they will be invited to do so, Blumenthal said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...0e60e6-506d-11e7-be25-3a519335381c_story.html

Ossoff is heavily running an ad here against Handel's attempt to strip funding from Planned Parenthood. I see it now at the near total expense of his positive ads. I don't think it's working for him, people liked the sunny, youthful, agenda-driven ads he was running earlier. The ones where he spoke to the camera and said 'here's what I want to do'.
Yeah, one of my big takeaways from 2016 is that negative advertising is even more worthless than I thought it was. No matter how bad or damning the content, people don't care. They want to hear what you'll do for them if elected, not what your opponent did wrong.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss negative advertising as a whole. I don't know the current research on it, but I'd guess that a better lesson is that different types of going neg work better than others, in relation to different audiences.

kirblar

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss negative advertising as a whole. I don't know the current research on it, but I'd guess that a better lesson is that different types of going neg work better than others, in relation to different audiences.
It works, but can't be the only thing you are doing.

Zolo

Also that she supports Trump is already the biggest negative advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom