• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump

General Flynn was given the highest security clearance by the Obama Administration - but the Fake News seldom likes talking about that.
7:57 AM · May 8, 2017

Considering I know this due to FAIRY FAKE NEWS GOD PARENTS I would say they talked about it a bit.

General Flynn was given the highest security clearance by the Obama Administration - but the Fake News seldom likes talking about that.

Considering I know this due to FAIRY FAKE NEWS GOD PARENTS I would say they talked about it a bit.

he knows the shit storm is about to stir up again today so he is deflecting

SCHAFFNER-fig1-1024x1024.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...normal-actually-voted/?utm_term=.50880f8b0a65

Voter turnout among whites — the racial/ethnic group most strongly in Trump’s corner — increased by 2.4 percentage points in 2016 compared to 2012. In stark contrast, turnout among African Americans — the group most loyal to Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party — fell by 4.7 percentage points nationally. Latinos and Asian Americans, both groups that are generally Clinton supporters, were more likely to vote — by 3.8 and 3.0 percentage points, respectively.

These national averages obscure important patterns. Here’s what stands out: while the decline in black turnout was stark across the board, it was sharpest, on average, in the states that determined the outcome of the election. Black turnout fell by 4.3 percentage points in non-battleground states in 2016 compared to 2012. But it fell by 5.3 percentage points in states where the election was decided by a margin of less than 10 points.

I remember there was concern among Black community that Clinton campaign did not start reaching out early, many were dismissed. This was a big misstep from the campaign.

In Michigan and Wisconsin, black turnout was down 12%.
in PA, it was down 2.1%.

SCHAFFNER-fig4-512x1024.png

Wilsongt

Ask Sally Yates, under oath, if she knows how classified information got into the newspapers soon after she explained it to W.H. Council.
8:14 AM · May 8, 2017

...🤔

Ask Sally Yates, under oath, if she knows how classified information got into the newspapers soon after she explained it to W.H. Council.

...🤔

lol he spelled Counsel wrong

Spelling mistakes are an easy way to know if it's actually him tweeting!

Zereta

...🤔

Shook? Shook.

Rachel Maddow gonna have a hell of a night.

Teggy

Does he not realize the Obama administration fired Flynn and then his administration ignored this fact and put him back in a position of power? Such an idiot.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
SCHAFFNER-fig1-1024x1024.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...normal-actually-voted/?utm_term=.50880f8b0a65

I remember there was concern among Black community that Clinton campaign did not start reaching out early, many were dismissed. This was a big misstep from the campaign.

In Michigan and Wisconsin, black turnout was down 12%.
in PA, it was down 2.1%.

SCHAFFNER-fig4-512x1024.png

You also have to take into account the insane voter suppression tactics in those states that affected the black community. It's not just about Hillary reaching out but also about the suppressed vote.

...🤔

Possibly very awkward phone call between McGahn and Trump right now

I think the campaign, and everybody, expected black turnout to be down.

An old white woman, no matter how lengthy her connections and familiarity to the black community is just not going to get the turnout of the first black President.

They may not have expected it to be down as much in some of these key states.

But what probably took by surprise in the home stretch is how white turnout was up.

KingK

What podcasts do you all recommend listening to? I've never really listened to podcasts, but I just got a new phone and I'm thinking of following a few. I've been meaning to check out Pod Save America. What else?

What podcasts do you all recommend listening to? I've never really listened to podcasts, but I just got a new phone and I'm thinking of following a few. I've been meaning to check out Pod Save America. What else?
I like Dan Carlin's Common Sense (and Hardcore History if you enjoy history)

I've been listening to NYT's The Daily for about a month now, part of my daily routine now

An old white woman, no matter how lengthy her connections and familiarity to the black community is just not going to get the turnout of the first black President.

But what probably took by surprise in the home stretch is how white turnout was up.

Yes. They hit their turnout marks, by and large. They just completely missed the flood of white rural turnout. I had said several times during the campaign that there were no "shy Trump voters" as evidenced by the primaries, but there really were. A lot. (Also, those northeast late primary Trump thrashings were probably a warning sign more than just light polling.)

Blader

I wonder if the resignation toward black voter turnount inevitably being down from 2008/2012 created a feedback loop within the campaign that made them less likely to take seriously on-the-ground concerns re: black turnout. Like, if you're already expecting black voter turnout to drop off and you're looking to make up the difference by driving up Hispanic turnout, and you have field directors in Florida and Michigan ringing the alarm bells on a lack of enthusiasm among local black voters, do you then continue to not act on those alarm bells because you already expected to do that worse among black voters -- and then consequently exacerbate the turnout problem even more?

Wilsongt

Mississippi gonna Mississippi.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3705144-Madison-County-ACLU-Complaint.html

Tucker, 62, is now one of several named plaintiffs in a suit filed against Madison County and its sheriff's department by the ACLU in federal court on Monday. The lawsuit alleges that Madison County law enforcement have been using unconstitutional checkpoints, warrantless searches, and excessive force as part of a comprehensive program that illegally targets black residents, violating their Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights.

Specifically, the lawsuit accuses the MCSD of setting up illegal roadblocks and pedestrian "checkpoints" outside of majority-black housing complexes, conducting unlawful searches of people's homes, and in one case beating a physically disabled man in front of his family to coerce a witness statement from him.

"Taken together," the ACLU lawsuit says, "these policing methods have effectively placed the black community of Madison County under a permanent state of siege."

http://reason.com/blog/2017/05/08/lawsuit-mississippi-county-running-perva

KingK

I like Dan Carlin's Common Sense (and Hardcore History if you enjoy history)

I've been listening to NYT's The Daily for about a month now, part of my daily routine now
Yeah, I had listened to hardcore history a few times years ago and loved it. I'll ad those and The Daily. Thanks!

I listen to Pod Save America and Pod Save the World religiously, but besides that I enjoyed Common Sense, Hardcore History, Accused, S-Town, and How Did This Get Made. Accused and S-Town are shorter podcasts that tell a story, while the others are ongoing shows. Hardcore History has episode arcs that make it easy to jump in. How Did This Get Made is a comedy show about bad movies, it's a great listen if you happen to have watched the movie they're discussing.

I listen to Pod Save America and Pod Save the World religiously, but besides that I enjoyed Common Sense, Hardcore History, Accused, S-Town, and How Did This Get Made. Accused and S-Town are shorter podcasts that tell a story, while the others are ongoing shows. Hardcore History has episode arcs that make it easy to jump in. How Did This Get Made is a comedy show about bad movies, it's a great listen if you happen to have watched the movie they're discussing.
Oh, if we're talking more than political podcasts: Memory Palace, 99% Invisible, The Dollop, My Brother My Brother and Me, The Scientific Odyssey, The Land of Desire, Crimetown, Let's Not Panic

KingK, you might find this thread useful: Podcast OT

"Stephen Moore, a Trump adviser, is on CNN insisting Trump never promised to avoid Medicaid cuts. "That was central to our plan all along.""

f2d628ebae2d60b9befa3a64107cc45d.png

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump 7 May 2015
I was the first & only potential GOP candidate to state there will be no cuts to Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid. Huckabee copied me.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/596338364187602944

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 7 May 2015
Huckabee is a nice guy but will never be able to bring in the funds so as not to cut Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid. I will.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/596338822373343233

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I like Brian Beutler's Primary Concerns. And The Weeds is good on domestic policy stuff.

Yes. They hit their turnout marks, by and large. They just completely missed the flood of white rural turnout. I had said several times during the campaign that there were no "shy Trump voters" as evidenced by the primaries, but there really were. A lot. (Also, those northeast late primary Trump thrashings were probably a warning sign more than just light polling.)

I don't think it's just that they were shy, but that there were systemic sampling errors in pre-election polling. It is very difficult to capture upswells of support that are constrained to a particular demographic when you are sampling with a different idea of what turnout will look like.

Blader

These lies will hurt him in the GE in 2020. Poor and middle-class don't really care about lies about tax cuts for the rich. They care about these when they get massive medical bill increases.

The Medicaid cuts don't take effect until after 2020 right? So, assuming a second term, it'll certainly hurt Pence or whoever else gets the nom in 2024, but the can may be kicked far enough down the road for Trump to escape his lies actually affecting his voters in time.

PBY

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom