• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Fundamentally, the GOP has sort of demonstrated (and exploited) all the ways in which our present system fails. Gerrymandering and the locked delegate count allows them to hold power in both houses despite being strongly in the national minority, with the electoral college doing the same for the Presidency. Many of our internal checks and balances fail in the face of extreme partisanship, like the "why would we want to investigate Republicans" business. And now, Trump is proving that a lot of the restrictions on the Presidency don't mean shit when they're mostly grounded in tradition and convention.

We really need to give the whole Constitution a fresh coat of paint at some point. Getting there's gonna be a bitch and a half though.

national minority? they have controlled the House for all but 4 years since 1995. The coalition that has sustained their majority is the one the Democrats had to sustain theirs from 1955-1995. It's also what's keeping them with a slight edge in the senate and arguably EC. The next Democratic Majority in the House will look quite different from past majorities. More Suburban.

That was weeks ago. Outrage had mostly died down.

The outcry had died down after the first failure and they made sure to be quick this time around -- it came and went, people feel defeated rather than activated. GOP has long been aware that outrage is fleeting -- they've been playing this game for years with gov shutdowns etc.

Ideally, outrage is maximized right as they're trying to vote -- that's when it's hardest to ignore, which is partly why they try to be quick about this stuff -- prevent it from building up. They accomplished that this second time around -- basically came out of nowhere and caught everyone off guard. I'm worried that the headlines about "GOP passed" and "now, pre-existing conditions..." mislead people into thinking it's too late. Not sure it'll be possible to build enough outrage to prevent the next few stages (senate, back to house, trump) -- too many people may already feel defeated.

Plus, they strategically message this stuff. They pitched this new bill as a fixed version. Yes, it's worse, but the media was no longer talking about how it will kick millions off their healthcare -- the worst parts of the bill were old news and aren't getting the same amount of coverage.

Here in Republican Northwest Arkansas the local media completely eviscerated the AHCA. I'm not exaggerating either, they went in dry.

Ihyll

Texas SB4 law signed by Gov Abbot...Allows Police officers to ask about a person's immigration status during routine traffic stops

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
fake news!
Jokes are not fake news!

To be clear the actual x37 program dates back to 1999 and is not so much a secret as it is classified. People have known about its existence forever. Almost nobody knows what it does.

So it's not really a secret the military has a space plane that has been in orbit for almost 2 years without landing.

sphagnum

Banned
Jokes are not fake news!

To be clear the actual x37 program dates back to 1999 and is not so much a secret as it is classified. People have known about its existence forever. Almost nobody knows what it does.

So it's not really a secret the military has a space plane that has been in orbit for almost 2 years without landing.

It's clearly tied to Solar Warden, duh.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
This gif of Le Pen crying has me thinking she really deluded herself into thinking she could win.

Teggy

Jokes are not fake news!

The article has video tho, so that's cool.

I was reading /pol/ and The_Donald for the past few days - before the election. Their attitude reeks of condescension and arrogance. These bastards really thought that a bunch of English-speaking Americans such as themselves; really thought that they could change an election of a foreign country. The behavior when trying to push #Marconleaks with English tweets and some with American flags on their account, was extremely ridiculous. It was sooo apparent of what they were trying to do they almost couldn't be any less subtle.

Didn't know France was the only EU nation with nukes, post-Brexit. Glad they're not in far-right hands, but man, that's got to be a bit scary if you're one of the countries without them.

Didn't know France was the only EU nation with nukes, post-Brexit. Glad they're not in far-right hands, but man, that's got to be a bit scary if you're one of the countries without them.

Eh, the UK will still be a member of NATO, as are most of the nations from which it's separating, so most of its obligations regarding defense still apply.

NOnAlEf.jpg

I've noticed this trend recently of people overtly noting the fact that these racist fucks are protected by cops (most absurdly and humorously in that video of the crazy lady claiming to be an NYU professor screaming at the cops at a Gavin McInnes event, but also in lower-stakes forums like this Tweet), and it's puzzling to me. I'm not on board with hate speech laws, myself, but understand the drive to see them implemented and think there are valid arguments on that side of the ledger. However, at the present moment, racism IS lawful, Constitutionally protected speech, so, deplorable as racists may be, and racist as policing may be in the country, would these people prefer the cops NOT follow the current letter of the law?

I've noticed this trend recently of people overtly noting the fact that these racist fucks are protected by cops (most absurdly and humorously in that video of the crazy lady claiming to be an NYU professor screaming at the cops at a Gavin McInnes event, but also in lower-stakes forums like this Tweet), and it's puzzling to me. I'm not on board with hate speech laws, myself, but understand the drive to see them implemented and think there are valid arguments on that side of the ledger. However, at the present moment, racism IS lawful, Constitutionally protected speech, so, deplorable as racists may be, and racist as policing may be in the country, would these people prefer the cops NOT follow the current letter of the law?

I'd like to see them treated with gas and violence like every other type of protest the police show up at.

Pixieking

Banned
The Ads Targeting Vulnerable Republicans Who Voted For Obamacare Repeal Are Already Beginning

The full list of targeted GOP representatives and their congressional districts:

Don Young (AK-01)
Martha McSally (AZ-02)
Jeff Denham (CA-10)
David Valadao (CA-21)
Steve Knight (CA-25)
Mimi Walters (CA-45)
Darrell Issa (CA-49)
Brian Mast (FL-18)
Carlos Curbelo (FL-26)
David Young (IA-03)
Peter Roskam (IL-06)
Bruce Poliquin (ME-02)
Tim Walberg (MI-07)
Jason Lewis (MN-02)
Erik Paulsen (MN-03)
Don Bacon (NE-02)
Tom MacArthur (NJ-03)
Mark Amodei (NV-02)
Lee Zeldin (NY-01)
John Faso (NY-19)
Elise Stefanik (NY-21)
Pete Sessions (TX-32)
Scott Taylor (VA-02)
David Brat (VA-07)

There were police at the Woman's March and March for Science

Is this basically a semantical counterargument because I said all instead of many?

And they were also at UC Davis

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/joeg...pper-spray-officer-awarded-38-000-4920773.php

Where a police officer got 38k settlement for emotional trauma that came from his experiences assaulting those protesters which is more than each of his victims got for being assaulted

They were also in Ferguson:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_437076f9-a6a2-5f03-a2fb-d612611a504f.html

Where the man had to throw it away to keep it from hitting children... and of course got charged for it.

And here with protests against the Jr Fascist Party known as The Deploraball

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...pporters-deploraball-met-tear-gas-riot-police

And in Phoenix

http://www.12news.com/news/local/valley/phoenix-police-use-tear-gas-to-break-up-protest/268162343

But sure let's pretend Cops don't treat Protests against White Supremacy and protests for White Supremacy differently.

For the record I was being sardonic... I'd prefer the police treat the fight against racism with the same amount of violence that they treat the fight for racism.... but that's not really going to happen.

Isn't IA-2 more Democratic that 3? I thought 3 was the swingiest of them and 2 was a little more Democratic, with 1 being the most (we held it, and I think Trump did the worst there).

Also if we won all those MN district while holding the Dem-held ones we'd have the entire state, which would be funny.

IA-2 has Iowa City and Davenport, the two most liberal cities in the state. It is by far the most left-leaning district.

IA-2 has a Democratic incumbent though, Dave loebsack, which is why its not on a list of potential dem pick ups. :p

Oh I confused 1 and 2, since we hold 2. Still, I thought 1 was more left than 3 so I'd think it would be on the list instead.

1 is also more left-leaning. Really I have no idea why Young is on the list and Blum isn't. Des Moines is a very conservative city and the rest of the district is fire and brimstone land. Young isn't going anywhere, he won his race by the same margin Steve King did. Blum however might be vulnerable, but its doubtful. The (formerly) industrial parts of Eastern Iowa were always more Democratic due to the strong presence of organized labor, but those days are long gone and the state legislature essentially banned public sector labor unions which is the final nail in the coffin. Loebsack will probably continue to win due to Johnson county being an extremely liberal anchor, but I don't see this state ever electing another Democrat to congress outside of him.

kirblar

Selected Reading
Trump Isn’t a Pragmatist. He Doesn’t Understand Ideology. (Help explains why Trump swayed some "undecideds" - because he is one)
Why Can't the Left Win? (Some stuff errs too close to "coddle racists" for my tastes but there are some nuggets in here)
The Reactionary Temptation (Dude is on my shit list after that Model Minority article he wrote a few weeks ago but again I think they may be a few nuggets in here too).
DeRay finds a much nicer way to say something that's been bothering me for a long time.

Chumley

Banned
I'm actually surprised Morning Joe is totally acknowledging the SNL skit and not pretending like it didn't happen, good.

I'm actually surprised Morning Joe is totally acknowledging the SNL skit and not pretending like it didn't happen, good.

Did they kiss yet?

In other news, George Will is now an official MSNBC contributor.

MSNBC will be slightly saner Fox News in about 6 months.

Liberal Media What.

It wasn't exactly a harsh sketch. The underlying theme was "Joe and Mika want to bone" which, considering they just announced their engagement, isn't a scathing critique.

It wasn't exactly a harsh sketch. The underlying theme was "Joe and Mika want to bone" which, considering they just announced their engagement, isn't a scathing critique.

That sketch should have started with something on how they decide whether this week they are going to love Trump or hate Trump.

numble

I see that, it just seems bizarre to me. How do you quantify it?

"How many people abstained it left the ballot blank?"
"Yes"
"..."

Of course you can quantify it. Its just from polling. How did you vote in the first round? How did you vote in the second round? There can be a 100% of total polled and 100% of total polled excluding blanks/abstention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom