• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only skimmed, but isn't the investor visa a normal thing? I know other countries have similar visa options (I've looked into visas for startups/small businesses etc). My interpretation was that it's not "invest $500k in me to get visa from my dad in law," it's "visa rules allow you to get a visa if you invest $500k, and I'm a good investment" -- have a feeling many groups seeking investment talk about the visa perks.

The presentation specifically listed Kushner's connection to Trump and Trump's role with approving eb-5s.

The presentation was "invest with me and you'll get an eb-5 instead of being put on the wait list."

pigeon

Banned
Okay, but just for the sake of not being hypocrites, shouldn't someone answer for why Huma was sending work e-mails to Anthony Weiner for him to print out?

Why? Who the fuck is Huma Abedin? Some nobody who works for a non-politician?

What's the deal with you loving alt-right talking points so much?

Whot does TYT employ a guy like Micheal Tracey?

Like Dore I can sort of understand but this guy basically seems like a LaPen supporter and a Russian Apoligist.

JP_

Banned
Some of you guys really froth at the mouth at this conflict within the left -- not just this most recent thing, but in general.. always posting about TYT, Gabbard, Greenwald, etc -- "look at these idiots" etc. It's an obsession.

Worse, you're fueling their fire. You're not even trying to extend a bridge, you're standing in as an enemy that keeps them motivated, helps them grow. There's always been a fringe like that in one form or another. Think they're a lost cause? Fine, ignore them -- but don't help make it into a real thing by adding fuel to the fire

Some of you guys really froth at the mouth at this conflict within the left -- not just this most recent thing, but in general.. always posting about TYT, Gabbard, Greenwald, etc -- "look at these idiots" etc. It's an obsession.

Worse, you're fueling their fire. You're not even trying to extend a bridge, you're standing in as an enemy that keeps them motivated, helps them grow. There's always been a fringe like that in one form or another. Think they're a lost cause? Fine, ignore them -- but don't help make it into a real thing by adding fuel to the fire

Lol we're people talking on a community thread on a message board.

They're media personalities or elected politicians with platforms taking larger stances against Centre-left or center than Far Right.

But sure we have the power to make them a thing.

JP_

Banned
Lol we're people talking on a community thread on a message board.

They're media personalities or elected politicians with platforms taking larger stances against Centre-left or center than Far Right.

But sure we have the power to make them a thing.

It's called grassroots. People's interactions on this board effect them like big personalities with big platforms (perhaps in different ways, but not necessarily weaker ways). And gaf isn't some nothing board with a few members.

Diablos

Well I think it's okay to get pissed about Gabbard or Bernie not being able to shut up.

But yes I think HA HA Goodman became completely irrelevant after 11/8

It's called grassroots. People's interactions on this board effect them like big personalities with big platforms (perhaps in different ways, but not necessarily weaker ways). And gaf isn't some nothing board with a few members.

Again these are media personalities and elected politicians calling them out on their shit is better than ignoring them

And I highly doubt PoliGAF is some meaningful grassrooting.

JP_

Banned
Gaf isn't going to swing an election on its own but being a top 5 referrer for Clinton's website isn't nothing and I don't think it's a stretch to suggest thousands if not tens of thousands of people (members and lurkers) were affected in small, but perhaps in big ways for some, by their interactions on this forum in the 2016 cycle.

IT WAS ALSO A TOP 5 WEBSITE FOR BERNIE.

...ok, so it's even more notable

kirblar

Gaf isn't going to swing an election on its own but being a top 5 referrer for Clinton's website isn't nothing and I don't think it's a stretch to suggest thousands if not tens of thousands of people (members and lurkers) were affected in small, but perhaps in big ways for some, by their interactions on this forum in the 2016 cycle.
IT WAS ALSO A TOP 5 WEBSITE FOR BERNIE.

What was notable was that it was a place where you didn't get massively dogpiled for not supporting him.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. NeoGAF is in the top 500 sites by monthly visitors for the UK. I did not know that. Top 900 for the US.

JP_

Banned
...your guys anti-bernie reflex is on a hair trigger. I brought it up as an example of gaf being a relatively big political forum. The fact that it was also a top referrer for Sanders just reinforces that.

...your guys anti-bernie reflex is on a hair trigger. I brought it up as an example of gaf being a relatively big political forum. The fact that it was also a top referrer for Sanders just reinforces that.

NeoGAF as a whole...

But not any given thread

The referrals lump every thread ever under the banner NeoGAF... do you read every thread?

JP_

Banned
NeoGAF as a whole...

But not any given thread

The referrals lump every thread ever under the banner NeoGAF... do you read every thread?

giphy.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
We were a top referral site to Bernie? That is odd considering I was paid a LOT of money to ban all Bernie fans.

I mean

look that way, it's russia

No, I assume most of us post in more than this thread.

Ok?

But most of the talk you were complaining about happens here and nowhere else.

We're not making threads about those people.. (well other than maybe Gabbard who you know is an elected politician and all)

I'm pretty sure that referrer thing was false, from memory of our secret mod chat where we discuss how much to charge Soros this year. And Sony.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
"Top 500 in the UK!!" and "lay out the prosecutorial vision of why selling out the office of the presidency on foreign soil via the presdient's son in law grifter is illegal" are two all-timers and they're within the last 20 posts. PoliGAF you continue to amaze.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've only skimmed, but isn't the investor visa a normal thing? I know other countries have similar visa options (I've looked into visas for startups/small businesses etc). My interpretation was that it's not "invest $500k in me to get visa from my dad in law," it's "visa rules allow you to get a visa if you invest $500k, and I'm a good investment" -- have a feeling many groups seeking investment talk about the visa perks.
It's nothing new, no, but what seemed noteworthy was the investor meeting repeatedly mentioned that Nicole Kushner Meyer was Jared's sister, that Jared Kushner has a "celebrity" status and many connections, and they kept urging people to act fast before policies changed. You can see how they're using both sides to 'entice' investors.

Ultimately, the rampant abuse of the 'investor visa' in the real estate world seems seriously problematic regardless of this incident.

The program was launched with the goal of securing investment and creating jobs. But instead, in recent years, many real estate developers have used the program as a source of cheap financing by using foreign investors, especially from China, for flashy projects in Manhattan and other city centers.

A Government Accountability Office report in 2015 found the EB-5 program carried a high risk of fraud, was rife with counterfeit documentation and had “no reliable method to verify the source of the funds of petitioners.”

Since Donald Trump became president, rumors have circulated among the wealthy of the world about the future of the EB-5 program, given Trump’s repeated vows to crack down on immigration and the increased congressional scrutiny of EB-5s. That has sent many high-rolling foreigners flocking to apply.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
"Top 500 in the UK!!" and "lay out the prosecutorial vision of why selling out the office of the presidency on foreign soil via the presdient's son in law grifter is illegal" are two all-timers and they're within the last 20 posts. PoliGAF you continue to amaze.

?

I just used Alexa website ranking on NeoGAF out of curiosity. Wasn't some huge statement, was just mildly surprised. I know Alexa isn't entirely accurate, but that still means NeoGAF has significantly more traffic than I realized.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yeah sorry was just saying Alexa loses a lot of meaning outside of the top 5-10-20. Like being in Hillary's or Bernie's top X referrers. Kinda meaningless.

(Not that NeoGAF isn't huge)

Jesus, that Leftist rant quoted in excelsioref's post is just all kinds of pointless.

Also, praising Jimmy Dore for praising Castro seems pretty much like confirming your principles are more fundamentally anti-capitalism than anti-the evils of capitalism. Castro chased like a million people out of Cuba and imprisoned and killed tens of thousands more, and Trump unreservedly denouncing him as a bloodthirsty tyrant is one of the few things he's done since being elected that I had an unqualified positive reaction to.

You're right, merely questioning how you're gonna go about imprisoning Jared and Ivanka was just too much from me. I should have just chanted lock them up mindlessly like the drones at the RNC.

Not one person has come up with the law that is supposedly being broken in this Kushner story yet.

Have people attempted to use the office of the Presidency in such a way as to necessitate illegalizing the Trump behaviors thus far? So much of the office is built on tradition or decorum, it wouldn't surprise me if we literally needed to put laws in place to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

JP_

Banned
Have people attempted to use the office of the Presidency in such a way as to necessitate illegalizing the Trump behaviors thus far? So much of the office is built on tradition or decorum, it wouldn't surprise me if we literally needed to put laws in place to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

IIRC, the nepotism stuff was put in as a response to Kennedy and his bro. But it doesn't seem like anything matters when one party controls everything.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
IIRC, the nepotism stuff was put in as a response to Kennedy and his bro. But it doesn't seem like anything matters when one party controls everything.

Yea, the issue is there's no incentive for the GOP to go after Trump for all his transgressions. There's already more than enough to justify impeachment, they just have no reason to move forward.

Fundamentally, the GOP has sort of demonstrated (and exploited) all the ways in which our present system fails. Gerrymandering and the locked delegate count allows them to hold power in both houses despite being strongly in the national minority, with the electoral college doing the same for the Presidency. Many of our internal checks and balances fail in the face of extreme partisanship, like the "why would we want to investigate Republicans" business. And now, Trump is proving that a lot of the restrictions on the Presidency don't mean shit when they're mostly grounded in tradition and convention.

We really need to give the whole Constitution a fresh coat of paint at some point. Getting there's gonna be a bitch and a half though.

Calling them a national minority is a stretch. They won more votes in House elections than the Dems have in the past two elections, 49% to 48% last Nov and 51% to 45% in 2014.

Calling them a national minority is a stretch. They won more votes in House elections than the Dems have in the past two elections, 49% to 48% last Nov and 51% to 45% in 2014.

Yeah, but local viability figures into that. People who know their guy is gonna get walloped (because, for instance, they live in a district that looks like somebody vomited spaghetti onto a map) are less likely to bother voting in their House election. We crush them in the presidential vote totals, which I feel is a better measure in this case.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So looking at Cook Political Report, there's 216 likely or solid republican house seats, with GA-6 being rated as a Republican Tossup?

With that reading, GA-6 is a must win as a overall show of strength. Price did win by a very large margin there, but it is a district Hillary almost won with no incumbent running. Include a D+3 national vote, and it wouldn't be that surprising to see that close of a race with those conditions, while Democrats probably need a national +6 to feel ok.

I wonder how difficult that district will be for democrats in the 2018 election if Ossoff loses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom