• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Our president was already elected because of Russian interference and shared interests, if not direct collusion, between his campaign and Moscow. The damage is done. The "fun" is in exposing this shit now and getting it on the record for good.

http://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2017/05/deep-macron-country?amp

Deep in Macron Country

As I step off the train in Roquefort, southern France, I sniff the air appreciatively. It's so good to be out of the Paris bubble, meeting some authentic French people to answer the biggest question in European politics: why did so many people vote for Emmanuel Macron? Was it a lack of economic anxiety, or a lack of racism?

I try a local bar. Three older men sit around a table outside, smoking and drinking that horrible French spirit which goes cloudy when you add water, like TCP does.

"Excuse me, gentlemen," I say. "I'm here from a British magazine to discover why this populist surge has swept France."

One of them, Jean-Luc, pauses for a long moment. "I would say that perhaps France has some experience of what happens when a country elects a right-wing authoritarian who likes to blame everything on people from a religious minority." He leans in. "My father was in the maquis."

On his left, Antoine takes up the tale. "The thing is, the political class don't listen to people like us. People call us extremists, but we just want someone who will make sure that the lights stay on and not do something stupid, like take us out of the European union. Beyond that -", he shrugs, "I am relatively happy. This is a great time to be alive, isn't it? I still have all my teeth. There is no war."

The final man, François, chips in. "I remember the "good old days". Merde! Did you know our service stations only gave up those toilets where it's two footplates and a hole about 15 years ago?" He shakes his head. "I would like a little more globalisation, frankly."

The French seem rad. I wish out voters were like them.

where the hell did it take off from and why don't we have a thread about this LOL

Old news, an informant inside the White House faced up to 6 years in prison for leaking the existence of the program in 2005. The president later pardoned him

ugh they have been doing this for years and mainstream news does not talk about it

that is so gross

Teggy

How do the British parties line up to US parties in this election? I get that UKIP is kind of like the tea party crazies, but are the Conservatives at all similar to the Reuplicans and Labour to the Democrats? How about the Social Domocrats?

KingK

I like Brian Beutler's Primary Concerns. And The Weeds is good on domestic policy stuff.

Oh, if we're talking more than political podcasts: Memory Palace, 99% Invisible, The Dollop, My Brother My Brother and Me, The Scientific Odyssey, The Land of Desire, Crimetown, Let's Not Panic

KingK, you might find this thread useful: Podcast OT

Thanks everyone! Looks like I've got plenty to get started with. I'll be driving to Indianapolis today for a work trip (about 2-3 hour drive) so I'll have time to dig into a couple of them.

If Obama says not to do it, I must want to do it!

(throws rabbit in briar patch and paints white picket fence)

OhMYPIy.jpg

Slacker

What podcasts do you all recommend listening to? I've never really listened to podcasts, but I just got a new phone and I'm thinking of following a few. I've been meaning to check out Pod Save America. What else?

Pod Save America is pretty good. A few others I listen to:

- The Rachel Maddow Show is put up in its entirety every night an hour or two after the show airs.

- Same with Real Time with Bill Maher, though it takes a little longer sometimes to pop up.

- The Majority Report with Sam Seder is OKish. I find his guests a little more compelling than Sam himself, but he's reasonably informative.

JP_

Banned
What podcasts do you all recommend listening to? I've never really listened to podcasts, but I just got a new phone and I'm thinking of following a few. I've been meaning to check out Pod Save America. What else?

Vox's The Weeds
Slate's Political Gabfest
The Ezra Klein Show (long form interviews, some not related to politics)
Pod Save America

Will also mention Intelligence Squared US Debates -- it's a series of formal debates around many topics. Gives you a good sense of the merits of both sides of an argument.

If you want something specifically from the perspective of the right, the best I've found so far is American Wonk with Avik Roy -- but it's not very consistent and the quality of discussion is still lacking the above examples.

Slate's Amicus is a great SCOTUS podcast.

wow CNN dropping bombs

I know this is old by now

"REAKING: Obama warned Trump about hiring Flynn during their Oval Office meeting, former Obama officials tells CNN"

but this morning twitterfingers was saying Obama gave Flynn highest level top secret clearance

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
where the hell did it take off from and why don't we have a thread about this LOL

ugh they have been doing this for years and mainstream news does not talk about it

that is so gross
Make sure you click my link
it's a synopsis from a The West Wing plot line
the actual X37 is very real and classified / Top secret.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Never miss:
Pod Save America
Political Gabfest
Pod Save the World
Majority Report - particularly casual friday with Cliff Schecter
Vox The Weeds
Common Sense with Dan Carlin

Occasional Listen:
Bernie Sanders Show
Princeton Woocast
Citizen Radio
New Republic's Primary Concerns
Intercepted with Jeremy Scahill

Right Wing Balance:
Ricochet
Kickass Politics
Federalist Radio Hour

studyguy

Never miss:
Pod Save America
Political Gabfest
Pod Save the World
Vox The Weeds

Occasional Listen:
Bernie Sanders Show
Princeton Woocast
Citizen Radio

Right Wing Balance:
Ricochet
Kickass Politics
Federalist Radio Hour

I'd add The Daily as well to the list for times when you're busy and need to catch up on the day. It does a fantastic job of recapping. Axe Files is basically Pod Save the World styled interviews with a broad range of people. Congressional Dish is also a fantastic podcast that focuses solely on the congressional legislature, both small and large that often gets ignored.

JP_

Banned
I'd add The Daily as well to the list for times when you're busy and need to catch up on the day. It does a fantastic job of recapping.

ah yeah, The Daily is good -- NPR's Up First and NYT The Daily are my flash briefing on Alexa. Up First is a better summary, The Daily dives in a little deeper on one or two bigger stories.

KingK

Vox's The Weeds
Slate's Political Gabfest
The Ezra Klein Show (long form interviews, some not related to politics)
Pod Save America

Will also mention Intelligence Squared US Debates -- it's a series of formal debates around many topics. Gives you a good sense of the merits of both sides of an argument.

If you want something specifically from the perspective of the right, the best I've found so far is American Wonk with Avik Roy -- but it's not very consistent and the quality of discussion is still lacking the above examples.

Slate's Amicus is a great SCOTUS podcast.

Never miss:
Pod Save America
Political Gabfest
Pod Save the World
Vox The Weeds

Occasional Listen:
Bernie Sanders Show
Princeton Woocast
Citizen Radio

Right Wing Balance:
Ricochet
Kickass Politics
Federalist Radio Hour
Thanks guys, added some more of these.

I'll be hitting the road right about the time Yates testimony is supposed to start.

Blader

I had to drop Woocast last year, around Christmas. I like Sam Wang, but the production quality on that show is just so fucking terrible. The last one I listened to it sounded like they had both wrapped their phones in towels and were standing 15 feet away while speaking into them. And then suddenly their theme music randomly cuts into the middle of the interview.

We need to take a long look at thought process that got this man face down in a dumpster.

He also took the time to lay out a clean flat box for him to lie on.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'd add The Daily as well to the list for times when you're busy and need to catch up on the day. It does a fantastic job of recapping. Axe Files is basically Pod Save the World styled interviews with a broad range of people. Congressional Dish is also a fantastic podcast that focuses solely on the congressional legislature, both small and large that often gets ignored.

I gave up on Axe Files because the vast majority of it is him pushing for boring personal stories that aren't related to anything political. I'm sure all of them have juicy tidbits, but it's hard to get to those tidbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom