• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Then what do you do with someone like Zuck who would probably support the first two but vehemently oppose the latter two (as well as things like collective bargaining, enhanced federal labor protections, more equitable taxation, newer anti-trust measures for the digital age, etc.)

Zuckerberg is fucking terrible. Those four things are pretty basic D ideas at this point. (And were really just four random ones I picked off the top of my head - by no means, the end-all of Democratic politics)

If you can't get on board for those, there's no chance in hell you're making it through the Democratic primary.

You kick his ass at the polls

Exactly. But there seems to be a growing push to run conservatives who are too embarrassed or ashamed to run as a Republican.

So don't get mad or cry about "purity tests" when more liberal people push back against that. As someone who is the child of two public school teachers I would never vote for a ''Democrat'' that is against collective bargaining.

pigeon

Banned
Then what do you do with someone like Zuck who would probably support the first two but vehemently oppose the latter two (as well as things like collective bargaining, enhanced federal labor protections, more equitable taxation, newer anti-trust measures for the digital age, etc.)

Ditch him?

I don't really understand this argument.

Exactly. But there seems to be a growing push to run conservatives who are too embarrassed or ashamed to run as a Republican.

So don't get mad when more liberal people push back against that. As someone who is the child of two public school teachers I would never vote for a ''Democrat'' that is against collective bargaining.
He has no constituency outside of some doorknobs in Silicon Valley, im not that worried about him

MFW you say that social justice and economic justice don't need to be opposed but people from the most socially liberal states in the country shouldn't run for national office because of economics
Seriously. And i'm concerned we're not pushing for sweeping criminal justice reform in the way we are for health care after this absolute disaster of an administration. I wanna see people proposing radical prison, drug, and policing reform if we're going all the way on healthcare too.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, because Steve Bannon is a Nazi.

Clinton and Schumer are mainstream Democrats. I happen to like them! In fact, most Democrats like them. So without offering any actual reasons to dislike them aside from "you should already know that they're terrible," you're making no effort to persuade anybody who doesn't already agree with you.

Right, but that's where we disagree. I don't like mainstream Democrats. I tolerate them on a means and ends basis. There's a whole other article on why we ought not to like them, but if you read Jacobin, you probably know that already, so for the sake of avoiding an enormous derail, the article pointing out that she associates with people it knows the article's audience dislikes is fair.

That's what I said. Do politicians have consistency? In general, no. If you don't like those politicians, as with Hillary, this lack of consistency is proof of their corrupt nature. If you do like these politicians, as with Bernie, this lack of consistency is proof of their ability to get things done and figure out where their constituents are at.

I disagree. I think Sanders has been relatively more consistent over his career than Clinton. Not completely consistent, but at the very least, more consistent. I value consistency very highly in politicians. As long as there are candidates who are more consistent than Gillibrand, I would be disinclined to vote for her.

I already responded to this. Jacobin should make more effort to avoid dog-whistling to the anti-Semitic left.

They're not, though. Pointing out Gillibrand has actively opposed measures to prevent settlement building is not dog-whistling, it's pointing out tacit support of apartheid.

That's why I read the article! To learn information! That's why I'm disappointed that it failed to provide any information. That is actually the job of news articles -- to give people information that may change their positions. It's just not the job of this article, because it isn't intended to change anyone's positions.

Not every article can provide all the information. Sometimes they have to rely on prior knowledge that they assume the audience knows. I don't explain to you every single one of my positions every time I post, I just assume that you know some stuff already. Here, they assume that the audience knows that most Democratic politicians are at best tolerable and that overall moneyed interests have had a significantly negative effect on American politics. The point of the article is to point out that, in that respect, Gillibrand is more of the same (which their audience may not know).

I mean, I explicitly called out that I thought one of the criticisms was potentially legitimate, and the presence of all the other less legitimate criticisms damaged it. There is nothing I can do to prove my motivations to you, so if you think I'm just being disingenuous, why bother responding?

That's true, and I apologize. Let me restate: I think you do this unintentionally. I think that your internal biases are such that you probably think you're giving this article a fair look, but you're actually barely examining it despite the fact you would probably agree with most of what had been written had it come from a source that you are otherwise disposed to.

We all do this. I do this, and I appreciate being called out on it (eventually!). So I'm doing it for you.

That's like the definition of a smear. Using true and sourced facts to paint a misleading image of a politician with the intention of damaging them. What do you think "smear" means?

It's not a misleading image. It leads one to an entirely accurate picture: Gillibrand is associated with widely disliked senior Democratic figures, has a wildly inconsistent political track record, has opposed efforts to block an apartheid regime from building illegal settlements, and more frequently meets with major financial lobbyists than most comparable Democratic figures. Which part of that is misleading?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What does "class issue" even mean? Isn't everything a class issue?

Abortion is a class issue. Voting rights is a class issue. Minimum wage is a class issue. Universal healthcare is a class issue. etc.

Yes to all of the above.

Personally, I'd take it to mean acknowledging the class warfare that's happening in government right now, and strongly fighting back against it. Nearly every single thing Republicans do is to take money from the poor and give it to the rich. For instance, the reason they passed the AHCA is to give tax cuts to the rich, paid for by taking away health insurance of the poor.

All democrats see and oppose the AHCA's gross class warfare, but on occasion, some of them forget it on issues that don't get very well covered and they don't really care much about, so they have no problem going along with the lobbyist that they party with and get tons of campaign funds. They're tiny things that people don't care about much individually if it's even possible to know, but in the large aggregate of class warfare, they're contributing to the inequality that continues to accumulate because one side is never letting up their fight while the other side occasionally does give up ground.

sphagnum

Banned
Seriously. And i'm concerned we're not pushing for sweeping criminal justice reform in the way we are for health care after this absolute disaster of an administration. I wanna see people proposing radical prison, drug, and policing reform if we're going all the way on healthcare too.

That's not being pushed for frankly because health care affects everyone including white people in the minds of white people but prison reform affects black people in the minds of white people. Despite making strides, Democrats are still not immune to this.

We'll have to see how BLM does now that they've shifted strategies. I hope they still have a big impact but they're not going to get headlines like they used to.

lol

What in the world

What's even the point in doing this lol

I've come to the conclusion these are like a geiger counter for corruption of his, and the static from this one is veeeeeeeeery loud. Hopefully some more blood is in the water for the HIC hearings this month.

Also, I gotta thank my senator for mostly keeping on-message with his questioning. Rewards are important for maintaining good behavior, you know!

It does make me wonder if anyone from New York or New Jersey is just too close to wall street by location, and makes themselves too vulnerable to hit pieces about them being a wall street insider for national elections, even if those hit pieces are completely unfair and misleading.

If Dems have any sense, it'll be immediately met with "Mnuchin, Donovan, Cohn, Bannon, Clayton" to every peep of this. We'll see if they get it, I guess.

tuxfool

Banned
ummmm....

C_anTB7XUAASYLi.jpg

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
🚨🚨🚨🚨
🅿️ 📼 🇮🇱
__👁🔁__
🅿️ 📼 🇮🇱
🚨🚨🚨🚨

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow.

WOW.

Not sure why people are down on this. Comey is beloved in IC circles. He has a TON of loyalists. This is going to be bad for Trump's team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom