• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I had just posted optimistically not one minute before that...

So, who wants to be on when the mother of all leaks is going to hit? 2-1 by Friday, those are good odds.

I agree, but that still doesn't make this feel any better. Hell, I mean, yeah, this is a damning admission of guilt on something and a sign of desperation, but it's THE FALLOUT that will make that a good thing. A lack of fallout from this would be extremely bad. Because of how LITTLE sense this makes, shit's in the "put up or shut up" phase now and that doesn't just end with the allegations...

Crocodile

I'm kind of scared. Living through history sucks. Can we fast forward to the part of this Watergate redux where Trump resigns and the GOP is shamed into hiding for at least a few years/terms?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
And I had just posted optimistically not one minute before that...

I agree, but that still doesn't make this feel any better. Hell, I mean, yeah, this is a damning admission of guilt on something and a sign of desperation, but it's THE FALLOUT that will make that a good thing. A lack of fallout from this would be extremely bad. Because of how LITTLE sense this makes, shit's in the "put up or shut up" phase now and that doesn't just end with the allegations...

From what it sounds like, senior officials in the FBI were blindsided by this. The same senior official group that has many Comey loyalists. I guarantee you this is not going over well.

broz0rs

I said to myself a few weeks ago that I shouldn't be surprised if Trump fires Comey, but here I am completely shell-shocked and livid about this.

Xando

He skipped a critical step where you typically butter up and make nice with key figures and then purge everyone else before moving on the power players. Dude has no friends.
Why make friends when you have the power to fire anyone you want and have the GOP nuke in everyone he wants

The total lack of any spine or morals in Congressional Republicans, compounded with mainstream news' rightward swing (MSNBC pulling in former Fox types, CNN pushing their fucking drama, the Times bending over backwards to appear fair), has me pretty shook honestly. It's like Nixon if literally nobody with any measure of power was interested in holding Nixon accountable for anything.

I was just pretty glib about the possibility of this being the start of a fascist consolidation of power, but honestly... I'm pretty scared, guys. Like I was after the election. Not sure we're gonna see a chance to vote in 2018. Would explain a lot of Republican behavior if that was their strategy.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Please do this.
Please do this.
Please do this.
Please do this.
It's the logical conclusion based on the DAG letter, comey "usurped the AG authority", what's the absolute biggest thing they can use as a distraction from the mounting Russia investigation that isn't a war? Prosecuting Hillary Clinton.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I thought FBI Director had a 10 year term to not allow this kind of thing?

It's even a constitutional power of the president that congress can't restrict with legislation.

The only firing restrictions are on commissions and boards that are seen as semi-independent of the executive, like FTC and SEC.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My goodness if they actually go after Hillary Clinton...that's going to be a clown show.

Would be clearly a distraction to get them away from Russia.

I felt like Graham was for an independent commission yesterday. If he can bring his buddy McCain along, that should start snowballing.

Chumley

Banned
My goodness if they actually go after Hillary Clinton...that's going to be a clown show.

Would be clearly a distraction to get them away from Russia.

They can do whatever they want. Literally the only way to stop this coup now is a revolution. Violent protest at the gates of the WH. I wish I was kidding but that's the reality we live in.

Loxley

Trump went about removing Comey in just about the most suspicious and public way possible. Nice job dude, now the Streisand effect is in play.

pigeon

Banned
So the only fear that has somewhat taken root in me is the fact that Ted Cruz hesitated on making a statement while the more moderate Lindsey Graham came out in approval of the firing.

All that indicates to me is that the senate GOP are okay with rubberstamping whoever Trump decides to push across their desks. Moreover it tacitly confirms the fact that they would have been okay with jailing political dissenters as that letter to Comey basically marked Clinton to be.

I wonder what happens to investigations in limbo and shudder to think that the GOP in office could just let this slide without any regard for optics. This is nuts.

Rosenstein's letter is about how Comey made Hillary look too guilty by mishandling the investigation.

Plinko

For as much of a downer as she is, Sarah Kendzior has been pretty spot-on so far with this entire administration. That kind of scares me for the next couple years.

Impeach Trump, impeach Pence, impeach Ryan, impeach Sessions

Fuck all of them

Democrats, win the House in 2018, make Hillary or Biden or Bernie or whoever the Speaker, end this fucking charade day 1

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Is it still impossible to get an independent prosecutor?

studyguy

Rosenstein's letter is about how Comey made Hillary look too guilty by mishandling the investigation.

Pijion after that NYT story on comey's rationale, regardless of what he did, this is just like a revisionist shit history. If Comey hadn't come out and dragged Clinton in defense of the FBI (not saying it's right that he did), the GOP would have most certainly shined a fucking beacon of light on Comey for not revealing Clinton issues had she won post election once it came out.

Comey absolutely fucked up, but lets not act like the GOP wasn't always going to go all in on smearing the FBI too. The guy is getting run over for acting like an idiot in defense of the FBI who was going to be under attack by the same idiots running him over now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom