• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
it would be a very dark day for democracy.

At some point you have to start weighing "this is legitimately horrifying" more heavily against "this would be good for the Democrats"

Because it means he is completely ignoring fundamental norms of our democracy and has no problem using his power to attack political opponents.

We're already in the middle of a constitutional crisis. Trump has already destroyed democratic norms left and right. The only way out is for the Democrats to consolidate power.

I don't want it to happen, obviously. But I also see it being a horrible move for Donald Trump and one that may finally galvanize a united front against him.

Kusagari

It's honestly a miracle this country has lasted as long as it has with no true hiccups since the Civil War. You really realize with Trump how many of our "checks and balances" simply come down to rules that don't actually exist outside of some scouts honor.

This is honestly the most terrified I've been ever since the election.

Like...there's so many scary thoughts spinning in my head now it's insane.

NewLib

Banned
We're already in the middle of a constitutional crisis. The only way out is for the Democrats to consolidate power.

I object to your original wording. The reason we are in this mess as people treated politics like a game for too long.

jtb

Banned
I object to your original wording. The reason we are in this mess as people treated politics like a game for too long.

Like I said, I don't want it to happen.

I'm just saying it would be good for Democrats and bad for Trump. I'm just looking at our fucked up political landscape and trying to figure out the incentives. It's not like I have any authority or power over whether Trump would do it or not.

It is pretty terrifying to think that if Democrats don't come out in droves in 2018/2020 the country may legitimately be fucked for good. The Republican's no longer care about right and wrong, and the rules and laws of this country so long as they can stay in power. If we do not get the House/Senate/WH back in the next 3 years then they will destroy whatever is left of the country by then.

Chumley

Banned
It's honestly a miracle this country has lasted as long as it has with no true hiccups since the Civil War. You really realize with Trump how many of our "checks and balances" simply come down to rules that don't actually exist outside of some scouts honor.

Exactly.

This is a test to see just how lazy people are, to see how much shit they're willing to put up with before going to the streets. Trump knows he can do whatever he wants. I've said this since the beginning to people saying if he fired Comey it'd be political suicide - EVERYTHING he's done would traditionally be political suicide.

Tradition doesn't mean anything anymore. "Rules" don't mean anything anymore. The people have to take action if they want this to stop, I don't even think leaks would matter anymore. This is a full blown coup.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Wtf were being pundits about a sitting President possibly going after a presidential with
possible criminal prosecution candidate out of spite.

"it will be good for Democrats"

"it would be a distraction from russia"

This is un-american, fascistic and banana republic bullshit. It is WRONG, and downright evil.

This Coming from someone who was telling peeps to chill with the Hitler comparisons..

You really realize with Trump how many of our "checks and balances" simply come down to rules that don't actually exist outside of some scouts honor.

Exactly my thought. Serious laws have to be put into place once this is over to stop it from ever happening again.

It is pretty terrifying to think that if Democrats don't come out in droves in 2018/2020 the country may legitimately be fucked for good. The Republican's no longer care about right and wrong, and the rules and laws of this country so long as they can stay in power. If we do not get the House/Senate/WH back in the next 3 years then they will destroy whatever is left of the country by then.

What on earth makes you think that they'll respect the results of the 2018 elections?

Took a peak at a conservative board (a college football forum, not r/donald) and the consensus was "Well yeah, he protected Hillary Clinton, surprised it didnt happen sooner". Not.a.word.about.the.Russia.Investigation.

What on earth makes you think that they'll respect the results of the 2018 elections?

I don't know, maybe the fact that so far they've been unable to pass any major legislation or even their own executive orders? Like this is super bad and suspicious and crazy as fuck but also completely and totally legal.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
It may be that at this point, priority #1 for opponents of Trump is the need to organize around protecting the integrity of the vote in 2018. The Dems obviously need to run compelling candidates, but you also need to ensure that people can actually vote. The voter suppression tactics will likely be intense.

Took a peak at a conservative board (a college football forum, not r/donald) and the consensus was "Well yeah, he protected Hillary Clinton, surprised it didnt happen sooner". Not.a.word.about.the.Russia.Investigation.

Other than the part where he tanked her chances of becoming President...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It may be that at this point, priority #1 for opponents of Trump is the need to organize around protecting the integrity of the vote in 2018. The Dems obviously need to run compelling candidates, but you also need to ensure that people can actually vote. The voter suppression tactics will likely be intense.

It absolutely is. Noah Berlatsky, a writer on Twitter who basically seems to be inside my brain most of the time, keeps hammering on this

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Never has it been more clear that liberals need to stop fucking bickering amongst themselves about who's the most progressive and start focusing on getting this monster out of office.

I have a feeling that, when history looks back, this will look like maybe Trump's stupidest move among stupid moves. It makes him look guilty as sin and increases the likelihood that the world IC will double down in its efforts to prove his connections to Putin and other right-wing extremists globally.

Thaedolus

Can I at least finish Persona 5 before marshal law is declared?

Fuck I dunno what to even think anymore, except I hope Comey has a leak machine with a dead man switch that'll kick in

Diablos

Never has it been more clear that liberals need to stop fucking bickering amongst themselves about who's the most progressive and start focusing on getting this monster out of office.
Democrats are extremely weak right now while the GOP is more drunk with power than ever before. It's bad

I think we're seeing the start of a paradigm shift in US politics and I don't think it bodes well

broz0rs

I really hope that senior officials of the FBI protect their Russia investigation files before the next FBI Director comes in and burns them.

Fox318

I have a feeling that, when history looks back, this will look like maybe Trump's stupidest move among stupid moves. It makes him look guilty as sin and increases the likelihood that the world IC will double down in its efforts to prove his connections to Putin and other right-wing extremists globally.
Nixon would still be in office if he had Fox News back then.

Only thing that matters is who controls the voting lines.

Do you think republican voters will care enough to vote democrat? or that half the country will suddenly care and register to vote?

My confidence in the american people is at an all time low, and the Trump Administration seems to be unconcerned.

It absolutely is. Noah Berlatsky, a writer on Twitter who basically seems to be inside my brain most of the time, keeps hammering on this

Really? Because, uh, his most recent essay about Jesse Singal (and the previous one about the Rebecca Tuvel shit) certainly made him look like one of the more intellectually disingenous people I've discovered in a while.

And again this is why fuck the Bernie or busters.

We will never know the status of Trump Russia investigation. The new FBI director only needs 51 votes.

The Technomancer

Really? Because, uh, his most recent essay about Jesse Singal (and the previous one about the Rebecca Tuvel shit) certainly made him look like one of the more intellectually disingenous people I've discovered in a while.
I mentally checked out of the Singal drama but Singal is trash and has consistently proven himself to be for like a year now, did I miss something?

I mentally checked out of the Singal drama but Singal is trash and has consistently proven himself to be for like a year now, did I miss something?

He wrote an essay asking if Singal was a bigot then claimed that was fair because Singal had dared use the word "witch hunt" in a figurative way in the title of a recent essay.

I know nothing of Singal more generally (read through Julia Serrano's degradations of him, was pretty unconvinced), but reading through his Twitter for the last few days, he seems like a smart guy with some self-awareness about the extremism and navel-gazing of academic critical theory.

The Technomancer

He wrote an essay asking if Singal was a bigot then claimed that was fair because Singal had dared use the word "witch hunt".

I know nothing of Singal more generally, but reading through his Twitter for the last few days, he seems like a good, smart guy.

Ah that would explain it. Singal seems like a good smart guy except for the part where he has doubled down, tripled down, and then quintupled down with really bad takes about transgender people, despite the fact that people have politely and then irately told him that he's actually dangerously wrong. He had a big expose about some "gender clinic" thing last year that a lot of people tried to say "hey you got this completely wrong this is harmful" and he just kept resisting. This most recent thing sprung up precisely because Singal was defending Tuvel's complete nonsense essay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom