• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
What does this actually mean? I can't figure it out. Are we more fucked or less fucked? Surely this is what pushes everything over the edge, right?

It means you should expect increasing radicalism on both ends of the political spectrum, and you should expect a long-term reduction in your civil liberties and the suppression of free public discussion and gathering.

It also means you should start learning practical skills such as carpentry, gardening, and self-defense (including using a gun). Just in case. You also probably want to reduce your online profile, because everything you post gets sold to Peter Thiel and then used to make profiles on your likelihood to commit a crime or be a political dissenter.

kirblar

VA govs are term limited anyways right? So it's not like he'd pay a political price for breaking a campaign promise if he (Periello) failed
They are. This is one of those obnoxious points of difference where the answer doesn't matter because of the nature of the state.

There's a couple of pretty obvious steps between "firing the head of the FBI" and "cancelling the 2018 midterms"

At minimum, they'd need to pack the SC.

Or just ignore it... if they have enough sycophants in the right places SC could become just a suggestion.

That's me being a bit ridiculous granted but everything is basically run on the assumption people will honour all the social contracts

I've learned with the Trump administration to never assume some kind of master plan and always assume it's a deranged, moronic, petty man making all the decisions.

Have you, though?

Yes, there's a moronic, deranged, petty sonuvabitch at the top, but what if the reason why everyone surrounding him seems weirdly okay with that is because they know they won't be touched?

i don' think they're missing the broader message. It's that they decided the priority is to attack Democrats, not Republicans. Because the obstacle to their chance at power and influence are Democrats, not Republicans. This would be the reason why they are focused on Democrats instead of Republicans.

I mean by they aren't getting the message that liberals and Democrats are probably more concerned with Trump instead of replacing incumbent Democrats( especially now).

Northam's right on this one, barring some sort of insane wave election.

Not really. You take back the House and Senate and do this. The House now has majority Clinton districts. It's not hard to amend the Virginia constitution compared to most. It's a necessity.

Have you, though?

Yes, there's a moronic, deranged, petty sonuvabitch at the top, but what if the reason why everyone surrounding him seems weirdly okay with that is because they know they won't be touched?

There's an aura around Trump that causes everyone around him to slowly lose their mental facilities.

There's no other reason for the ACHA getting past the House despite it meaning crushing defeats in 2018.

So take house in 2018 and open up independent investigation?

Yep

This isn't over. Not by a long shot.

So take house in 2018 and open up independent investigation?

We would need the House, and the Senate, at incredible margins; Congress currently has no such authority. The only hope at this point is that a) republicans don't cancel the 2018 elections (y'all keep talking about how they won't do that but well here we are), and b) we perform so damn strongly that whatever Republicans remain are willing to provide the rest of the necessary 2/3 majority required to override a veto.

There's an aura around Trump that causes everyone around him to slowly lose their mental facilities.

There's no other reason for the ACHA getting past the House despite it meaning crushing defeats in 2018.

Unless there are no elections in 2018, in which case, there will be no crushing defeats.

I+m+sorry+but+i+have+to+say+something+_55561112b7e754478e797f7f1b61e016.png

Not really. You take back the House and Senate and do this. The House now has majority Clinton districts. It's not hard to amend the Virginia constitution compared to most. It's a necessity.
I don't think it's part of the consitutiom, there was a ballot initiative last year to do that and it failed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Ug, I'm stuck watching Fox News, and it's going to make me literally sick when i'm already so pissed off by this news. Karl Rove and gang trying to play this as a bipartisan move and calling democrats partisan hypocrites opposing it.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I've learned with the Trump administration to never assume some kind of master plan and always assume it's a deranged, moronic, petty man making all the decisions.

They don't need a master plan to end up in the same places that other authoritarian governments have ended up. It's reactionary rule by nature, but they also usually head in the same predictable directions.

That being said, they won't cancel the elections because they're too useful as a source of legitimacy. They will work hard to control the outcome as much as possible though, because they've already been extremely successful at that as a party.

studyguy

Guys they're stupid.

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/862090285584498688
Shimon Prokupecz (@ShimonPro)
Senior officials at White House did not think firing FBI Director Comey would be a big political explosion. @DanaBashCNN

Like... mega stupid

https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/862090978756349953
David Wright (@DavidWright_CNN)
.@DanaBashCNN The thinking was that b/c Dems were saying precisely what Rosenstein said in his letter, that there wouldn’t be a backlash (@DanaBashCNN)

What the fuck where they thinking? You might get away with that if you fire Comey right away, but firing him now (months after his actions w/Clinton) was never going to fool anyone.

Comey heard the news while giving a speech

Mr. Comey learned that he had been fired while he was addressing a group of F.B.I. employees in Los Angeles. While he spoke, television screens in the background began flashing the news. Shortly thereafter, a letter was delivered to the F.B.I.’s headquarters in Washington.

— Michael S. Schmidt

Please PLEASE tell me there's a video of this.

kirblar

I really, really don't understand this focus in the modern service economy. If you look at WV and other midwestern states, labor's power evaporated alongside the decline of the industries where it organized workers. If you look at Canada, their private sector unionization rate has crashed as well, their higher uniionization rates are completely do to public sector unions remaining high.

Unions make sense when you're a skilled trade forming an interest group (doctors, lawyers, sports), have gig work that results in naturally inconsistent work (SGA, WGA, etc.), or are a high-risk occupation that requires a hefty counterweight (mining, construction, etc.) And of course, these aren't mutually exclusive. But for your receptionist, IT guy, customer service reps- I just don't see how service and white collar positions fit into this model or how you'd expand it. I'm all for public safety nets, but Unions aren't really the answer for that?

Pyrokai

It means you should expect increasing radicalism on both ends of the political spectrum, and you should expect a long-term reduction in your civil liberties and the suppression of free public discussion and gathering.

It also means you should start learning practical skills such as carpentry, gardening, and self-defense (including using a gun). Just in case. You also probably want to reduce your online profile, because everything you post gets sold to Peter Thiel and then used to make profiles on your likelihood to commit a crime or be a political dissenter.

Jesus. This is making me cry right now.......

I really, really don't understand this focus in the modern service economy. If you look at WV and other midwestern states, labor's power evaporated alongside the decline of the industries where it organized workers. If you look at Canada, their private sector unionization rate has crashed as well, their higher uniionization rates are completely do to public sector unions remaining high.

Unions make sense when you're a skilled trade forming an interest group (doctors, lawyers, sports), have gig work that results in naturally inconsistent work (SGA, WGA, etc.), or are a high-risk occupation that requires a hefty counterweight (mining, construction, etc.) And of course, these aren't mutually exclusive. But for your receptionist, IT guy, customer service reps- I just don't see how service and white collar positions fit into this model or how you'd expand it. I'm all for public safety nets, but Unions aren't really the answer for that?

Yes, full stop.

sphagnum

Banned

I agree. We ought to skip unions and give the workers power over their places of work directly.

This would concern me more if I thought Trump was a genuine autocrat trying to consolidate his power, rather than someone who probably did this for some unbelievably petty reason who will see it blow up in his face, as everything else has. He's like Daffy Duck being tricked by the rest of the non-deplorable country's Bugs into shooting himself for over 100 days, now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom