• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really, really don't understand this focus in the modern service economy. If you look at WV and other midwestern states, labor's power evaporated alongside the decline of the industries where it organized workers. If you look at Canada, their private sector unionization rate has crashed as well, their higher uniionization rates are completely do to public sector unions remaining high.

Unions make sense when you're a skilled trade forming an interest group (doctors, lawyers, sports), have gig work that results in naturally inconsistent work (SGA, WGA, etc.), or are a high-risk occupation that requires a hefty counterweight (mining, construction, etc.) And of course, these aren't mutually exclusive. But for your receptionist, IT guy, customer service reps- I just don't see how service and white collar positions fit into this model or how you'd expand it. I'm all for public safety nets, but Unions aren't really the answer for that?

Unions will be unnecessary when the government provides a consistent safety net that is not under siege. Until that is the case, Unions are the best way for people in the private sector to give themselves the leverage to consistently make decent, livable wages and benefits. At the very least, there should be fewer systemic barriers, and companies should not be allowed to propagandize against labor organization.

Lo-Volt

Like, when you fire the guy investigating your ass, your reason has to be more than ironclad. I should be reading about how Director Comey got caught fucking a Russian spy, or would that be an act of projection too? But the best the president could do with his fucking elementary school level writing skills is "well gosh, my racist-ass AG whispered in my ear and thanks for trying to validate my so-called innocence anyway"? THAT'S WHAT YOU GO WITH?

Please explain how a government benefit accessible to all (regardless of if you're in a union or not) requires Unions? (which are deliberately exclusionary and self-interested by their nature)

No.

Unions are even more important as we transition to a gig economy. You specifically singled out the importance of unions in "have gig work that results in naturally inconsistent work"!

Unions will be unnecessary when the government provides a consistent safety net that is not under siege. Until that is the case, Unions are the best way for people in the private sector to give themselves the leverage to consistently make decent, livable wages and benefits. At the very least, there should be fewer systemic barriers, and companies should not be allowed to propagandize against labor organization.

^

I mean you all say this. But old lefty union peoples haven't shown much interest in adapting to the changing nature of work...
Particularly the growth in the professional classes. Who haven't really been clamouring to organise.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Fox News person saying this isn't trump covering his ass over russia because all this does is put Andrew McCabe in the position.

Proposal: Keep McCabe as official FBI director.

Like, when you fire the guy investigating your ass, your reason has to be more than ironclad. I should be reading about how Director Comey got caught fucking a Russian spy, or would that be an act of projection too? But the best the president could do with his fucking elementary school level writing skills is "well gosh, my racist-ass AG whispered in my ear and thanks for trying to validate my so-called innocence anyway"? THAT'S WHAT YOU GO WITH?

Look at some conservative messageboards, they love this.

I feel a little bit better now that the whole "we didn't think it'd be a big deal you guys" leak is out there, but I still think that there's a strong possibility that they implement a fascist dictatorship in the next 1.5 years.

Look at some conservative messageboards, they love this.

Ehhhh I wouldn't read too much into that. Conservative professional troll game is on point. Doubt there's that many people represented there.

kirblar

Unions are even more important as we transition to a gig economy. You specifically singled out the importance of unions in "have gig work that results in naturally inconsistent work"!
Gig work will never be the norm though? It works in entertainment media production because of the nature of production cycles, but that gig work cycle isn't true for people working at a TV station. It's getting more prevalent, but it's not the future. People (and employers!) like stability.

If a special investigation isn't possible even in 2018, are we all basically hoping the FBI/IC are furious enough to leak more info keeping public interest alive?

You just posted a graph showing very little corollary between % unionisation and presence of social safety nets...? I mean the group od Scandinavian countries have high membership and strong services, they're also all Scandinavian.
And Norway is just an oil reserve pretending to be a country.

Also wouldn't it make more sense to use figures at the time these public benefits were introduced.

Gig work will never be the norm though? It works in entertainment media production because of the nature of production cycles, but that gig work cycle isn't true for people working at a TV station. It's getting more prevalent, but it's not the future. People (and employers!) like stability.

I mean, the gig economy is NOT just entertainment media. When we talk about gig work, it's a lot bigger than that, and it's become a huge part of our economy!

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/13/gig-economy-is-growing-heres-how-much.html

Employment in the gig economy is growing far faster than traditional payroll employment, according to a study out Thursday from the Metropolitan Policy Program at the Brookings Institution.

By using a little-know statistic, the researchers found evidence of a significant change in the numbers, and the potential for a huge realignment in the very nature of employment.

Over the past 20 years, the number of gig economy workers — those who operate as independent contractors, often through apps — has increased by about 27 percent more than payroll employees, according to CNBC calculations using data from the report. The change is even more severe in certain industries, like ground transportation, where the number of gig economy workers increased 44 percent more than payroll employees.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This makes me really wish cabinet filibuster was still in place. I don't blame Ried because McConnell probably would have already killed it long before now given how easily he killed the supreme court filibuster, but I do still miss it.

I mean you all say this. But old lefty union peoples haven't shown much interest in adapting to the changing nature of work...
Particularly the growth in the professional classes. Who haven't really been clamouring to organise.

WV is a great example of the old lefty union people. Used to be one of the most reliably blue states in the country and is now one of the most reliably red, and the change happened in like three election cycles. It's pretty much ground zero of the workers-rights democrats who are indifferent to or actively turned off by the Dems' stances on social issues. And instead of voting in favor of retraining programs or stronger safety nets, they just flock to the guy (Trump, in this case) who promises to make things how they used to be.

You just posted a graph showing very little corollary between % unionisation and presence of social safety nets...?

Also wouldn't it make more sense to use figures at the time these public benefits were introduced.
The Nordic model is generally considered the gold standard of welfare states and all of the top four countries there are Nordic though?

I worked in retail for 8 years and would have killed to unionize during the three years I was doing it as my full-time job. The protections afforded to the modern worker are ridiculously paltry, yet I wouldn't say working in a store is less valuable to the economy in 2017 than working a repetitive task in a factory was 50 years ago, simply because the carrots and sticks of the market are such that people can get away with paying their workers less.

That America has seemingly forgotten the benefits of unionization simply because the most obvious perks have either been codified into law or so normalized that they are features of most regular jobs doesn't forgive the collective choice to stagnate in terms of securing and bolstering workers' rights.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I feel a little bit better now that the whole "we didn't think it'd be a big deal you guys" leak is out there, but I still think that there's a strong possibility that they implement a fascist dictatorship in the next 1.5 years.

I really do need to educate myself on how the presidency could be turned into a dictatorship. Using the justice arm to discredit and even jail opposition is part of it, but I'm not sure if it's all of it.

kirblar

WV is a great example of the old lefty union people. Used to be one of the most reliably blue states in the country and is now one of the most reliably red, and the change happened in like three election cycles. It's pretty much ground zero of the workers-rights democrats who are indifferent to or actively turned off by the Dems' stances on social issues. And instead of voting in favor of retraining programs or stronger safety nets, they just flock to the guy (Trump, in this case) who promises to make things how they used to be.
You read this article too? http://fusion.kinja.com/how-west-virginia-lost-the-workers-revolution-1794801462

It's really good except for the part where the writer ignores everything he's being told by locals and inserts his own rose-colored beliefs instead. (The first comment schools him on overlooking the mass racism.)

Also ordered Janesville to read, which is apparently quite negative on the ability of retraining programs to actually help.

I mean, if they really wanted to do so, "legally"

- Pass a law to add 10 new justices to the SC, and appoint stooges
- Pass a law saying elections are suspended until further notice
- Have the corrupt, packed court affirm that you have the power to do that
- ???
- Dictator time!

(this won't happen)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
:/ I come here to escape crazy OT hyperbole

Fair enough, people can get crazy about Trump even when he does something that's common, but this thing is the real deal. It's an extremely huge step towards fascism.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Trump gets hack into FBI post.

Russian Investigation is closed

Clinton investigation is re-opened and is in the news every week until midterms.

I mean, if they really wanted to do so, "legally"

- Pass a law to add 10 new justices to the SC, and appoint stooges
- Pass a law saying elections are suspended until further notice
- Have the corrupt, packed court affirm that you have the power to do that
- ???
- Dictator time!

(this won't happen)

It would have to be a full on constitutional amendment to increase the number of justices, right?

So like, no way that's happening.

Tamanon

Banned
Trump gets hack into FBI post.

Russian Investigation is closed

Clinton investigation is re-opened and is in the news every week until midterms.

I can't imagine they'll reopen the Clinton investigation after the publicness of it is the supposed impetus for the firing. But they are preeeeeetty dumb.

Ryuuroden

Fox News person saying this isn't trump covering his ass over russia because all this does is put Andrew McCabe in the position.

Proposal: Keep McCabe as official FBI director.

Yeah ok but the republicans in the senate already have a McCabe investigation underway saying hes the one that leaked the pee pee dossier. And that was seven days ago. Most likely they will fire him too making that a reason or something. Also McCabe's wife worked for Clinton I think.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I can't imagine they'll reopen the Clinton investigation after the publicness of it is the supposed impetus for the firing. But they are preeeeeetty dumb.

Alternatively, they are smart enough to know the conservative media alongside the "both sides" media will allow them to do literally anything.

no, the number of justices is set by legislation, not constitution. 60 votes does it, 50+Pence if filibuster is nuked.

(it won't happen,
increasingly nervous man says)

Ok, well, still. They're going to mostly appoint strict constructionists and strict constructionists aren't gonna be super down with opening the doors to the end of American democracy.

I mean they may not like abortion or gay marriage or whatever but the constitution pretty strictly states that we're supposed to be a republic here.

Unless there's a large swathe of the judicial that's pro-fascist that I'm unaware of.

It would have to be a full on constitutional amendment to increase the number of justices, right?

So like, no way that's happening.

Nope, they can do it right now if they wanted

Now you know why democracies fall all the time. Their balances are not really as strong as they seem, and with enough political will power, you could seize basically unlimited power legally using our system.

Chumley

Banned
Also ... is it just dispair, or is there an actual reason people are bringing up the cancellation of 2018 midterms?

We are seeing unprecedented corruption. Every time someone says "Trump could never do that", he does it. I want to bring up all the posts saying he'd never fire Comey right now.

This is the fall of democracy.

kirblar

I worked in retail for 8 years and would have killed to unionize during the three years I was doing it as my full-time job. The protections afforded to the modern worker are ridiculously paltry, yet I wouldn't say working in a store is less valuable to the economy in 2017 than working a repetitive task in a factory was 50 years ago, simply because the carrots and sticks of the market are such that people can get away with paying their workers less.

That America has seemingly forgotten the benefits of unionization simply because the most obvious perks have either been codified into law or so normalized that they are features of most regular jobs doesn't forgive the collective choice to stagnate in terms of securing and bolstering workers' rights.
I live in VA. My perception is this- the thing Unions have actually organized (the Fight for 15! thing) was pushed alongside an attempting to give themselves an exemption to the $15 minimum wage they were pushing. (this has happened in multiple cities.)

To organize people, you need some form of commonality, and that just doesn't exist in our modern age. I don't understand where this mass amount of organizable workers is supposed to come from.

We are seeing unprecedented corruption. Every time someone says "Trump could never do that", he does it. I want to bring up all the posts saying he'd never fire Comey right now.

This is the fall of democracy.

FFS they can't stop the 2018 elections without going through a LOOOOT of bullshit.

Nobody said he couldn't fire Comey. They just said he wouldn't.

Barzul

@PfeifferDC

Roger Stone tells me: "What Comey did to Hillary was disgraceful. I'm glad Trump fired him over it."

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom