• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzy72

Banned
tenor.gif

Joe

Is there any reason besides the Russia investigation that Trump would want Comey gone? Is there any current or upcoming policy that Comey is, or potentially would, block?

Blader

Jeff Sessions!

...uhh

No really, it's his call as far as I know

I don't think a special investigator is happening any time soon, but a House investigation in 2019 seems entirely possible, and likely.

Wouldn't Sessions' recusal mean that it's the Deputy AG's call for a special prosecutor?

I agree though that our best is the for us to flip the House next year and form a special committee on Russia in January 2019.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is there any reason besides the Russia investigation that Trump would want Comey gone? Is there any current or upcoming policy that Comey is, or potentially would, block?

Honestly, unless Sessions wanted to go full Hoover I can't think of anything.

Wouldn't Sessions' recusal mean that it's the Deputy AG's call for a special prosecutor?

I agree though that our best is the for us to flip the House next year and form a special committee on Russia in January 2019.

Considering he just helped fire the guy investigating him, I'd say he hasn't really recused himself.

Teggy

Mazel Tov Cocktail‏
@AdamSerwer

Sessions told Fox Biz in Oct 2016 that Comey had an "absolute duty" to make Oct announcement, "had" to make July one. h/t @mattzap

They make it way too easy.

Vimes

Also ... is it just dispair, or is there an actual reason people are bringing up the cancellation of 2018 midterms?

I fucking hate to be seen as part of the doom and gloom parade this time, but are the GOP behaving like they have to run for reelection next year?

Voter disenfranchisement already arguably grabbed them the presidency. I'm optimistic that a wave of pissed off democrats will give us gains next election, but I've got one hell of a nasty feeling right now.

Why cancel an election when a majority of states can disenfranchise voters?
☝️

RE: the whole sky is falling nature of the 2018 elections cancellation possibility: I'll admit that it'd be an escalation, but this whole administration, this whole party, has become nothing other than a series of increasingly more severe broken norms for a while now. By the time the elections would roll around, it could easily be a relatively small step, when added to the other disasters. And it would explain a LOT of their behavior.

I don't think you can totally discount the possibility or dismiss it as chicken little-ing.

Comey's actual powers beyond investigating the Russia collusion were fairly limited. Only other thing that makes sense is that Trump got offended by his testimony and decided to show him the door.

Which is, like, totally plausible, don't get me wrong, but still probably not the whole picture.

Grexeno

RE: the whole sky is falling nature of the 2018 elections cancellation possibility: I'll admit that it'd be an escalation, but this whole administration, this whole party, has become nothing other than a series of increasingly more severe broken norms for a while now. By the time the elections would roll around, it could easily be a relatively small step, when added to the other disasters. And it would explain a LOT of their behavior.

I don't think you can totally discount the possibility or dismiss it as chicken little-ing.

Comey's actual powers beyond investigating the Russia collusion were fairly limited. Only other thing that makes sense is that Trump got offended by his testimony and decided to show him the door.

Which is, like, totally plausible, don't get me wrong, but still probably not the whole picture.
-Cancelling elections

-an escalation

Also, Mt. Everest is tall.

-Cancelling elections

-an escalation

Also, Mt. Everest is tall.

Cancelling the 2018 elections is not a "small step"

Mt. Everest is tall, but the last step of the climb isn't so high. Nobody thought that they'd deny Garland a hearing and then nobody thought that they'd really back Trump and then nobody thought that they'd...

We don't know WHAT conditions will be like in November 2018.

Mt. Everest is tall, but the last step of the climb isn't so high. Nobody thought that they'd deny Garland a hearing and then nobody thought that they'd really back Trump and then nobody thought that they'd...

We don't know WHAT conditions will be like in November 2018.

They're about 9 Supreme Court justices shy of being able to go that blatantly against the Constitution

Where is this canceling election stuff coming from?

Crazy people

Slizeezyc

It's a really weird time to fire Comey, too, I think. I kind of was thinking the Russia investigation was going to be a nothingburger based on recent events

I agree, It seemed like you could just keep playing out the string at this point, doing this seems like a silly way to rile up people.

Slizeezyc

I don't understand, so what does this mean now that Comey is fired?

It doesn't mean much on the surface. The investigation is a joint venture between multiple departments. More or less, maybe the next "director" would try to obstruct etc. but these are departments that are going to continue doing their basic duties and are not all under the umbrella of the FBI etc.

Blader

Can I get some rational level-headed predictions to help assuage some anxiety? PoliGAF is way better than OT

We're in pretty uncharted waters now. The president firing the FBI director in the middle of an investigation into whether that president's campaign colluded with a foreign rival power to elect said president is historic. No one can predict what will happen because nothing like this has happened before!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom