• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT3| 13 Treasons Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also ... is it just dispair, or is there an actual reason people are bringing up the cancellation of 2018 midterms?

It seems really farfetched to me, but I can already see the rationale that would be used from a mile away. They wouldn't outright say they're cancelling democracy or anything like that. They would say that they "have reason to believe rampant voter fraud has compromised the integrity of our electoral system, and as such following through with midterms would undermine our American values of free and fair elections. Until we can ensure more secure and accurate election results, it would be a disservice to the American people to open up the potential for candidates they did not select to represent them in congress." The usual eery, authoritarian thing of saying one thing when you're doing the 180-degree opposite.

Mind you, I think there's maybe a 0.1% chance of them actually trying to do something like that. We're not that far down the rabbit hole yet.

I'm fairly nervous.

There's a baseline of 40%ish people who will support Trump no matter what. This is a blatant, "Ripped out of the textbook of a carnival Dictator" move. They are supporting it.

That ground floor as to what Trump was going to do is no longer there. I personally thought I would have time before it came to this point to find a way out of the U.S.

I'm a brown man. I would like to bail far before we get to the point of the rabbit hole. Next up is the prosecution & jailing of Hillary Clinton. Military crackdown of protests leading to marshal law.

You read this article too? http://fusion.kinja.com/how-west-virginia-lost-the-workers-revolution-1794801462

It's really good except for the part where the writer ignores everything he's being told by locals and inserts his own rose-colored beliefs instead. (The first comment schools him on overlooking the mass racism.)

Also ordered Janesville to read, which is apparently quite negative on the ability of retraining programs to actually help.

I hadn't read it yet, actually, but I will now. Always enjoy reading pieces like this about my home state.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
giphy.gif

Literally anything is possible.

It's honestly getting hard to tell what's panicking and what are real risks in here now. It's already chaos in the OT, but now it's starting to seep in here.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Reports saying that Democrats are genuinely alarmed is the most concerning. It feels as if we are nearing something. This appears to be a act of desperation.

Huh. Fun facts from a brief look.

The relationship between union membership and Nordic countries can be explained by voluntary unemployment insurance, actually organised by unions in several of these countries. And potential discriminatory effects of not being in a union and voluntary insurance scheme in terms of job prospects.

The expansion of welfare states has been considered an explanatory factor in the decline of unions.

It's honestly getting hard to tell what's panicking and what are real risks in here now. It's already chaos in the OT, but now it's starting to seep in here.

This is such an insane situation, I can't really blame anybody for thinking the sky is falling. The closest precedent we have for something like this happened 40 years ago.

hawk2025

I'd be more concerned with anyone that has the hubris of thinking they know what type of reaction is warranted right now.

Let people react as they will.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
We are seeing unprecedented corruption. Every time someone says "Trump could never do that", he does it. I want to bring up all the posts saying he'd never fire Comey right now.

This is the fall of democracy.
Fuck racist and ignorant trump supporters.

Fuck the propaganda arm of the republican party, and the republican establishment they represent

Fuck James Comey for his dumbass letter that ruined both himself and america.

Fuck the mainstream media like CNN and NY Times for thier both sides "but her emails" garbage

Fuck Hillary Clinton for being a piss poor campaigner

Fuck the third party and stay at home idiots for not seeing how important this election is.

And of course, fuck trump.

I hope we're just overreacting, but overreacting often eventually become justified these days.

Cancelling midterms would straight up give license to blue states to start moving toward secession, and it would probably be pretty popular among the citizens of their states.

I mean I'm down for Civil War as long as we can win it, and down for balkanization if we can't. Half the deep-red states are landlocked and we could just starve them into submission either way, then retake the territory.

Also c'mon guys it's MARTIAL law, like martial arts.

So how does a special investigator/prosecutor happen? Who do I call? Senator? Congressman? Both? Neither?

Jeff Sessions!

...uhh

No really, it's his call as far as I know

I don't think a special investigator is happening any time soon, but a House investigation in 2019 seems entirely possible, and likely.

I'm not sure panicking that they'll cancel the 2018 midterms is really a rational, warranted reaction

I hate constantly seeing overreactions like "no more elections, 8 years, Trump is forever", etc.

People are letting their fears cloud their judgement of reality.

Look where we are. Anything is plausible at this point.

Anything is plausible =/= all your fears are now 100% confirmed to happen.

CygnusXS

Cancelling midterms would straight up give license to blue states to start moving toward secession, and it would probably be pretty popular among the citizens of their states.

I mean I'm down for Civil War as long as we can win it, and down for balkanization if we can't. Half the deep-red states are landlocked and we could just starve them into submission either way, then retake the territory.

Also c'mon guys it's MARTIAL law, like martial arts.

Problem with civil conflict is, where are the nukes stored? And which demographic is trained to use them? You really don't want to brush up against the point where the answers to those questions are actually dangerous.

If anything is possible, then they could just keep the elections but imprison and/or execute political opponents. The Russian way.

I mean, Trump already threatened to do it to Hillary and he was even praised by some (really dumb) democrats/leftists for it. The key is just to make the move seem justified for reasons other than your real motive. Like, "I'm not going to investigate and imprison Hillary because she's my political opponent, I'm doing it because something something emails something something corrupt, etc".

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
We are only 109 days into the trump presidency with 546 days until the 2018 elections

Problem with civil conflict is, where are the nukes stored? And which demographic is trained to use them? You really don't want to brush up against the point where the answers to those questions are actually dangerous.

At first I was going to say, only an idiot would nuke a part of their own country, then I remembered who our President was.

I don't think it's insane to be concerned about worst case scenarios right now. I agree that also does not mean they will happen.

It's one thing to be concerned about it. It's another to be in a constant state of panic and acting like it IS a guarantee.

For now, focus needs to be on the special elections.

I mean, if they really wanted to do so, "legally"

- Pass a law to add 10 new justices to the SC, and appoint stooges
- Pass a law saying elections are suspended until further notice
- Have the corrupt, packed court affirm that you have the power to do that
- ???
- Dictator time!

(this won't happen)
John McCain: "I have severe reservations about this"
Senate page: "Those in favor?"
McCain: "aye"

I'd think the military would lock itself down into a neutral third faction whose primary job was to keep either one from deploying the nukes.

Or they'd follow through that their oath of allegiance is to the constitution and not to POTUS or Congress and launch a coup, although the way the US military is structured makes that rather difficult.

In any case there are nukes stored in blue states and in red states so they would probably just linger like the sword of Damocles over the whole conflict but be neutered by detente.

Teggy

I feel like I need to be out in the streets over this. This is legitimately scary, and this idea that they are suddenly concerned for Hillary is infuriating.

I feel like I need to be out in the streets over this. This is legitimately scary, and this idea that they are suddenly concerned for Hillary is infuriating.

I would fucking hate to be Hillary. It's not enough that she sat through decades of inflamed shitflinging from for the right and the left, now she's being used a thinly veiled excuse to cover-up treason.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It's one thing to be concerned about it. It's another to be in a constant state of panic and acting like it IS a guarantee.

For now, focus needs to be on the special elections.

I think it's okay to be terrified at this moment. I'm not saying this is a viable long term solution.

Edit: I accidentally a word

CygnusXS

I'd think the military would lock itself down into a neutral third faction whose primary job was to keep either one from deploying the nukes.

Or they'd follow through that their oath of allegiance is to the constitution and not to POTUS or Congress and launch a coup, although the way the US military is structured makes that rather difficult.

In any case there are nukes stored in blue states and in red states so they would probably just linger like the sword of Damocles over the whole conflict but be neutered by detente.

Could be! Definitely better off avoiding the risk though.

(I also really don't want another US Civil War because that would mean a refugee flood into Canada that we can't handle).

Could be! Definitely better off avoiding the risk though.

(I also really don't want another US Civil War because that would mean a refugee flood into Canada that we can't handle).

Canada would be preemptive and establish a military protection zone in the Great Lakes states and South Dakota.

I mean, maybe not really. I've like started and scrapped 3 separate novels based on a second American Civil War or the Balkanization of the US, so now I'm just throwing out ideas I had for those books,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom