• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
DDRGj4CUAAA4V-t.jpg:large

Huh

We'll see how it works for Chris Kennedy, who's running for Illinois governor. The field is crowded and the establishment seems to be lining up behind J.B. Pritzker, but he certainly has high name recognition.
Yeah, also Ted Kennedy Jr. is running for governor in CT. But I really hope his campaign crashes and burns because he's a shit head

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I guess I'm in the minority because I'd happily pay that tax rate to know that myself and my family wouldn't go bankrupt if we got sick, let alone everyone else in the US.

I would as well--if I could afford it. A 15% tax would devastate my family's budget right now. Here's the problem that proponents would face: How do you accurately show them that the 15% tax isn't that bad in comparison to what they're paying?

Only way a 15% payroll tax happens is if people get to see how much and then and keep their employer's portions of healthcare as income.

Exactly. Right now I pay $200 for insurance premiums each month through my employer. On the surface, a 15% tax is well over double that and that would crush my family. But, if employer's portions of healthcare are then converted to income, it wouldn't make it look bad at all.

15% of my income is actually more than what my employer pays + what I pay :(

Single person insurance isn't really that expensive in the scheme of things.

It's slightly more for me too, but it will be less for some. I can afford a little more, I cannot afford that tax without getting my employers portion given back to me though.

15% of my income is actually more than what my employer pays + what I pay :(

Single person insurance isn't really that expensive in the scheme of things.
I'm not sure if 10-15 tax would be a better deal or not for me and my family specifically, but I'm pretty sure my employer would go out of their way to make it explicit what their contribution is, because moving employees over to single payer would be in their interest.

Seems that's all I've heard about this mysterious bomb that's about to drop.

Comey's friend, a likely source for some of these stories, always teases damaging stories on Twitter with a "tick tick tick." Last Friday, he said to expect something on that day or Monday. Today he reiterated as much.

I could totally have seen Trump shooting out emails to Russian contacts begging for Hillary to be hacked. Wonder if the GOP will go with the "he was joking" or "I hope" defense on this one.

I wonder if WaPo/NYT might refrain from publishing for now because they want the CBO score to be the top story. The Russia scandal will still be around next week, but we need to kill this health care bill before the recess.

Surfinn

He reiterated that it's hard to say when, but before that he said most likely Monday.

What's MORE interesting, though, is that he seems to be hinting that it does not have to do with Comey and that it's about collusion.

Ogodei

Don't employers pay the payroll tax anyway? Yeah, it's seen as a detriment to wages because higher payroll tax = lower wages (because the employer doesn't want to pay out more overall), but it's not like the average employee even knows what they're losing to payroll tax (outside of FICA/Social Security/Medicare, but that's separate? Or am i way off base here?)

So you up the payroll tax. But then you eliminate any need for an employer to pay for health insurance, as well as employees losing any premiums they might have to pay, and they don't "see" the tax that's paying for it all anyway because it gets hit to the employer before they cut the paycheck.

Only self-employed would really see it, but the self-employed would be the biggest winners in a single-payer world to begin with, so...

He reiterated that it's hard to say when, but before that he said most likely Monday.

What's MORE interesting, though, is that he seems to be hinting that it does not have to do with Comey and that it's about collusion.

Curious who he knows and how he would know this. Anything leaking related to Comey makes sense because of their relationship and everything he's leaked so far has been Comey related.

I wonder if WaPo/NYT might refrain from publishing for now because they want the CBO score to be the top story. The Russia scandal will still be around next week, but we need to kill this health care bill before the recess.

Yeah that might be why Wittes doesn't yet know when the story will be posted.

Only way a 15% payroll tax happens is if people get to see how much and then and keep their employer's portions of healthcare as income.

Yeah, employer premium share should be on every paycheck. Mine had been something like $1800 a month when I quit my job. (Major orchestras have great benefits and old average age of employee).

JWiLL

Banned
What makes you say it's bullshit?

If there was anything tangible at this point, we'd all know about it.

The prime target surrounding the collusion narrative has been Michael Flynn, but at this point we know that his conversations with the ambassador (that people on both sides had, since...you know, it's his job) didn't amount to any actual collusion and he was cleared. Even the Washington Post admits this and they're not exactly unbiased:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-reviewed-flynns-calls-with-russian-ambassador-but-found-nothing-illicit/2017/01/23/aa83879a-e1ae-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.82e90b77f7eb

Basically, the entire investigation is based around people talking to someone who's Russian, at some point, about anything. That's all we've heard since the initial Flynn angle. Yet there's no smoking gun after 8 months and they won't find one 12 months from now either.

The Watergate investigation may have taken 2 years, but that was over 30 years ago. Information moves a hell of a lot faster now.

Again - I'm not American, I'm not "on the right", I don't have a dog in any fight here. From an outsider's perspective, the entire thing has become fucking hilarious to an extent, with CNN's constant "BREAKING NEWS" about Russia, but the longer it drags on the more damage it causes - and I don't mean to Trump. The Democratic party is dying and instead of trying to pull itself together it's dragging along with this entire narrative. I really don't understand the point in continuing in this direction, he's not getting impeached. That's a pipedream.

Thaedolus

The prime target surrounding the collusion narrative has been Michael Flynn, but at this point we know that his conversations with the ambassador (that people on both sides had, since...you know, it's his job) didn't amount to any actual collusion and he was cleared. Even the Washington Post admits this and they're not exactly unbiased:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-reviewed-flynns-calls-with-russian-ambassador-but-found-nothing-illicit/2017/01/23/aa83879a-e1ae-11e6-a547-5fb9411d332c_story.html?utm_term=.82e90b77f7eb

Basically, the entire investigation is based around people talking to someone who's Russian, at some point, about anything. That's all we've heard since the initial Flynn angle. Yet there's no smoking gun after 8 months and they won't find one 12 months from now either.

The Watergate investigation may have taken 2 years, but that was over 30 years ago. Information moves a hell of a lot faster now.

Again - I'm not American, I'm not "on the right", I don't have a dog in any fight here. From an outsider's perspective, the entire thing has become fucking hilarious to an extent, with CNN's constant "BREAKING NEWS" about Russia, but the longer it drags on the more damage it causes - and I don't mean to Trump. The Democratic party is dying and instead of trying to pull itself together it's dragging along with this entire narrative. I really don't understand the point in continuing in this direction, he's not getting impeached. That's a pipedream.

You realize the real crime in Watergate was in the cover up? And special counsel investigations tend to balloon? And Trump has been doing shady shit for years? It may not end in clear collusion but he sure as shit has been obstructing justice and abusing power. Mueller is gonna work his whole organization over by the time he's done

Huh? That's not how it works

Well, motivate the Senate to kill the health care bill.

Big Russia stories tend to hog all the air. Remember how Comey's firing stretched over a whole week? I know newspapers and networks try to get the scoop as quickly as possible, but some of the stories over the past months seem to have been strategically timed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Sure buddy. No dog in the race, none at all.

Not sure who you think you're fooling here.

Well, motivate the Senate to kill the health care bill.

Big Russia stories tend to hog all the air. Remember how Comey's firing stretched over a whole week? I know newspapers and networks try to get the scoop as quickly as possible, but some of the stories over the past months seem to have been strategically timed.

A media outlet is not going to hold on to a story because of outside events.

I don't think any media outlet is going to wait on what *might* happen with the healthcare bill, otherwise they would wait forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom