• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHY US, WORLD?

170713091701-kellyanne-conway-flash-cards-fox-news-int--exlarge-169.jpg

I’m a nice person. I don’t deserve this timeline.

(twitter source)

kirblar

ELIZABETH WARREN!

The brains of Bernie and the sex of Clinton. Why everyone voted for those candidates in the first place. The best of both worlds.
Of course you would phrase things that way.

And Warren would be a disaster of a candidate. She's got the same issue as Clinton in that she doesn't lie well and doesn't have the charisma necessary for your figurehead. (I am a big Warren fan btw!)

jtb

Banned
ELIZABETH WARREN!

The brains of Bernie and the sex of Clinton. Why everyone voted for those candidates in the first place. The best of both worlds.

She definitely missed her shot. I think 2016 was the perfect window for her; she could have united the Bernie and Hillary factions. 2020 will be too late. The fact that she "sat out" 2016 already makes her damaged goods to, well, probably everybody.

Also be less misogynist pls

jesus christ

People voted Clinton because of her ideas? It's widely viewed she had no agenda.

Tell me. Why did you vote for Hillary? It's not misogynistic. I voted for her in the general. She has no ideas however. And some people did vote for her because she's a woman and that's the only reason. Sad but true.

It's tough for PoliGAF to face the truth Hillary was the worst candidate on the stage, bar Jim Webb. Yup. Even the Chafe would have done better.

People voted Clinton because of her ideas? It's widely viewed she had no agenda.

Tell me. Why did you vote for Hillary? It's not misogynist. I voted for her in the general. She has no ideas however. And some people did vote for her because she's a woman and that's the only reason. Sad but true.
I voted for Bernie in the primary

I voted for Hillary in the general because I supported her policies and liked her better than any of the alternatives, including Stein

Let me flip this table on you by pointing out that some people only voted for Bernie and Trump because they're men. Is that ok?

It's tough for PoliGAF to face the truth Hillary was the worst candidate on the stage, bar Jim Webb. Yup. Even the Chafe would have done better.
oh my god

kirblar

I vote Obama in the '08 primaries because I thought he was the better candidate of the two.

I voted Clinton in the '16 primaries because I thought she was the better candidate of the two.

In neither case was this based on race or gender.

I wish Clinton had not run in '16, but I still thought she was a better candidate than Sanders.

Tell me. Why did you vote for Hillary? It's not misogynistic. I voted for her in the general. She has no ideas however. And some people did vote for her because she's a woman and that's the only reason. Sad but true.

C'mon dude. You're on the internet. Search Engines are right there. It doesn't take much to find what Clinton's agenda was. You may have thought that agenda sucked (I think some portions of it did suck), but claiming she ran on no agenda is a bullshit right-wing talking point that willfully ignores much of what she actually said as a candidate.

Let me flip this table on you by pointing out that some people only voted for Bernie and Trump because they're men. Is that ok?

I'm sure some did. I never heard anyone say that though. I did hear women saying "I'm for Hillary because women can do it too" however.

Which they can. It's a dumb ass reason to vote for someone however.

I'm sure some did. I never heard anyone say that though. I did hear women saying "I'm for Hillary because women can do it too" however.

Then maybe you should broaden your horizons. I heard that take from plenty of people, "women aren't fit to lead," "terrorists will want to kill the president because she's a woman" (as opposed to wanting to kill any other president?), the "life's a bitch so don't vote for one" "joke" going around. To say nothing of the subconscious "Her voice is too shrill" bullshit.

But the point is you said Hillary's gender is why "everyone" voted for her which is blatantly false and misogynist bullshit to justify your candidate losing.

Remember, if Hillary smokes Bernie in the primaries 55-43 then it's because she's a woman and it was rigged, but if Trump wins the electoral college despite losing the popular vote by 3 million it means Hillary was a worse candidate than Lincoln Chafee

In retrospect, I don't think Clinton was the best candidate of the two, but it's stupid to say she had "no agenda" and her agenda is why everyone voted for it. You have google, my dude.

kirblar

Collins is a hard no, Portman as a possible no, Heller is a probable no, and Paul is a probable no?
Paul is a hard no because his actual reason for voting "No" almost certainly isn't his stated one. He's playing the Moderate Darling card hard here- define yourself on your opposition.

Then maybe you should broaden your horizons. I heard that take from plenty of people, "women aren't fit to lead," "terrorists will want to kill the president because she's a woman" (as opposed to wanting to kill any other president?), the "life's a bitch so don't vote for one" "joke" going around. To say nothing of the subconscious "Her voice is too shrill" bullshit.

But the point is you said Hillary's gender is why "everyone" voted for her which is blatantly false and misogynist bullshit to justify your candidate losing.

You guys keep flying the "M" word around when I'm the one behind Warren for 2020! Doesn't add up. I'm a woman hater? Who voted for a woman in 2016 and want Warren to run in 2020 and think the best candidates for Governor in Minnseota are the women, Otto, Murphy, and Lori Swanson should she enter. It seems your hate for me is blinding you to the truth.

Fact of the matter is Hillary was a shit candidate. It's sad you can't admit that.

Vimes

Three days and three thread derails from people who were already on my ignore list.

Why can't we enjoy all this oppo together

kirblar

You guys keep flying the "M" word around when I'm the one behind Warren for 2020! Doesn't add up. I'm a woman hater who voted for a woman in 2016 and want Warren to run in 2020 and think the best candidates for Governor in Minnseota are the women, Otto, Murphy, and Lori Swanson should she enter. It seems your hate for me is blinding you to the truth.

Fact of the matter is Hillary was a shit candidate. It's sad you can't admit that.
Supporting Warren is completely misunderstanding why Clinton wasn't a good candidate.

You have to take the right lessons away. Warren has all the same weaknesses Clinton did. Policy was not the primary issue here.

You can think Hillary was a Bad Candidate and also realize that the vast majority of people didn't vote for her because she's a woman, dumbass.

Hindl

You guys keep flying the "M" word around when I'm the one behind Warren for 2020! Doesn't add up. I'm a woman hater? Who voted for a woman in 2016 and want Warren to run in 2020 and think the best candidates for Governor in Minnseota are the women, Otto, Murphy, and Lori Swanson should she enter. It seems your hate for me is blinding you to the truth.

People are calling you a misogynist because you think the #1 reason someone could vote for Hillary is because she's a woman. It doesn't matter what her accomplishments are, or her policies, or the fact that many of us might align with her politically. Nope, it's because she has a vagina. Maybe you'd prefer we just call you sexist?

your troll skill is low

This was nice to read.

https://www.glamour.com/story/what-deborah-k-ross-won-from-losing-run-for-senate

I lost my race for US Senate last November in North Carolina, but I have no regrets about running. It was one of the best experiences of my life and continues to motivate me to be engaged locally and throughout the State. In the aftermath of my defeat, I've come to appreciate that you do not have to win to make a difference. Of course, winning is better. But losing and leveraging that experience can propel you to new heights while inspiring others to the same. I am convinced that my dark-horse candidacy helped pave the way for women and members of underserved communities to seek political office.

Just yesterday, I ran into a young woman named Rosie at a local restaurant who recognized me and told me how my campaign changed her view of her place in the political arena. This happens to me every day, sometimes multiple times a day. I have had it happen in the bathroom at Bojangles. The consequence of being on television for a year in political ads, yes. But, also the result of a positive vision and message that resonated with women and young people over the din of political ads. Rosie had heard me speak at her school.

After we met, Rosie sent an email. “Growing up in a small town, I always thought that one day I’d like to serve on a school board or city council…. But your campaign made me aim for Senator, too. You said once that you hoped to have inspired one or two people along the way. I promise you have – I’m one of them.”

When I decided to run, no one who knows North Carolina politics thought I had a real chance. This was not an open seat. I took on a two-term incumbent who has been in Congress for more than 20 years. I still remember visiting a donor who thanked me for running, asked me what I planned to do after I lost, and then wrote me a check. Many more people did not return my early phone calls. And yet I persisted.

Nearly every day for more than a year, I woke up every morning knowing that I would make about 100 phone calls, travel somewhere from the mountains to the coast or throughout the country, speak to people I did not know, and slough off negative attacks against me and my family. The negatives were more than offset by the people I met -- the window into the critical need we have for a direct connection with the people who represent us. One of the first times I gave a speech, there was a young girl who attended with her grandmother. Afterward, she came up and asked for an autograph. She touched me that day in a way I still carry with me.

For a few weeks in September and October, I closed the polling gap. People from all over the country were sending money to the campaign in the hopes of picking up a US Senate seat. In the end, I pulled in an impressive $15 million to make us competitive and force the opposing party to spend resources in a campaign they'd previously assumed was theirs. My campaign staffers, who believed in me from the beginning, were seeing their hard work pay off and smelling an upset victory. The day of the election, my communications director was so certain we'd pull it off that he did not want me to practice my concession speech. Somehow, I knew I needed to be prepared, just in case. Rosie’s words to me about inspiring one or two people came from that speech.

There are all sorts theories and recent writings about the importance of failing. There is even an expression called “failing forward” that denotes a badge of honor in the tech industry. This concept is not new. Based on his own experiences, President Theodore Roosevelt, famously wrote that “it is not the critic who counts” but the man in the arena, “who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Unfortunately, too few women take the risk of running for political office or assuming positions of influence. As a result, our voices are not part of the conversation yet alone the final decision. If we want to make a difference, we must put ourselves forward and accept the challenge on our own terms.

One of my campaign staffers inspired me during the campaign by calling me "the woman in the arena." We need to see and celebrate more women who dare greatly. Remember that it is never the critic who counts – chart your course and throw your hat in the ring. You will grow as a person, and you just may win!

Deborah K. Ross, Democratic Candidate for US Senate in North Carolina 2016

Look man, I'm not the one who started off saying "everyone who supported Hillary only did so because she's a woman" and I'm not the one playing the "some of my best candidates are women" card right now. Sexism, like every ism is a spectrum and we're all on it. Hell, I still remember your "soulless eyes" comments about Angie Craig last year, have you ever torn into a male candidate for their physical appearance? Not assuming, just asking.

I would gladly vote for Warren as the GE nominee, and I'll vote for whoever the Democrats put up in MN for governor next year. I think Warren would have many of the same problems Hillary had and that's why I will probably not vote for her in the primary should she run. Hillary was a poor candidate due to a 30-year smear campaign waged against her from the far right that you fell for hook, line and sinker.

How is this show now in its 17th season? I swear to god it got cancelled like 10 times already. Who even watches it anymore?

The amount of times PoliGAF shits on Bernie is like 20 times per the 1 time I speak up. Yet I'm somehow derailing the thread when that's what was being talked about, a Vice article saying how Bernie is the best candidate for 2020....not true, Warren is the best candidate and I'm somehow a misogynist for pointing out Hillary had no agenda, didn't want it .

Why shouldn't my wife, my mother, my grandmother get excited that a strong woman candidate is on the ballot?! If you grow up in a sexist society it makes perfect sense! No one said it was the *only* reason, but if it's the one they get most excited about, who the hell are you to judge them for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom