• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Landmark:

Ossoff: 49.0
Handle: 48.9

@wsbtv
WOW! Brand new #GA06 poll shows Jon @ossoff & @karenhandel separated by just 0.1% - 49.0% to 48.9% (2.1% undecided and 4.4% margin of error)

Has more realistic EV numbers: Ossoff at 55, Handle at 45. That seems right.

Gonna go ahead and say it, at the risk of jinxing it - I think she beats Heller.

Sinema is still the best candidate for Arizona but Randy Friese seems not terrible either. If we can just pull the Senate to a tie (while winning the House), I'll count that as a win.

Everyone knows that Sinema is running, right?

That other special election:

https://medium.com/@ChngRsrch/norma...na-5th-district-special-election-fc736c536bc8

Ralph Norman (R) 53
Archie Parnell (D) 44

If Ossoff loses and this ends up being a single-digit race, expect a lot of hand-wringing about Democrats blowing a "winnable" (probably not) race.

Ahem.

tumblr_inline_mupkmtsSUj1qd5qy6.png

I am just west of this district, covered by the same media market, and have heard more from McClatchy on this race than local. It's like the Anti-GA6.

My my my, so confident Solid Devin. I wonder why.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If ossoff loses we should basically prepare for trumps second term and president palin. Trigg palin.

Harry Enten gives Ossoff a 60% chance of winning, which is slightly higher than what I was thinking. Still -- close!

@ForecasterEnten
So I aggregated the polls in different ways... Different techniques get you slightly different answers... but all say anyone could win. 1/?

DCuAhPjXgAAfTRU.jpg

@ForecasterEnten
It's pretty clear the polls have tightened over the last week. Is that signal? noise? Unsure, but it def occurred. 2/?

@ForecasterEnten
Historically, I have error rates for the 3 week average. The margin of error on that is +/- 13 pts or so Ossoff's 1.6 pt lead. 3/?

@ForecasterEnten
Probability wise that translates roughly into a candidate in Ossoff's position winning 6 times out of 10. Losing 4 times out of 10.

Ogodei

I mean, maybe there'll have to be a recount.

I doubt it. I think it will be decisive (2 point race) whichever way it falls out.

The averages show a race where Ossoff seems to have a structural advantage but where Handel is shoring up support in the final stretch, which is sort of consistent to upper-class Republicans at this point, ashamed for what their party's become but damned if they're not gonna miss their tax breaks.

But she can't seem to crack the 49% barrier either.

Reid and Schumer wanted Rosen reaaaal badly.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/19/heller-rosen-nevada-senate-2018-239729

Rosen is expected to formally announce in a couple weeks, according to one source.

The recruitment of Rosen has the strong imprint of former Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, who was entrusted by the party establishment to identify the strongest candidate to challenge Heller. Reid settled on Rosen, figuring that she’s a fresh face with little political baggage and would be the most formidable opponent, according to a person familiar with the matter.

After Reid settled on Rosen, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) “closed the deal” and talked to Rosen four or five times to convince her to run, that person said. Schumer's office declined to comment.

Rosen was first elected to the House last November to Nevada's Third Congressional District, a swing seat that was vacated by former GOP Rep. Joe Heck when he ran for the Senate last fall. Other Democrats who had also been named as potential challengers include Reps. Ruben Kihuen and Dina Titus, as well as former state treasurer Kate Marshall.

Titus said in an interview earlier this year that she was strongly considering challenging Heller and that she had conducted polling to assess her viability.

I almost feel bad for Dina Titus. Almost.

kirblar

Reid settled on Rosen, figuring that she’s a fresh face with little political baggage and would be the most formidable opponent, according to a person familiar with the matter.
Old and Exposed are Bad Things for Democrats.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Curious what he thinks about Pelosi, then, considering the conversation that went on in here not too long ago.

Not quite the same. Senators and presidential candidates try to win states, while representatives win their districts. Pelosi's district won't elect a Republican in our lifetimes, and I bet she's really popular there - all that matters vis-a-vis her electability.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
She's not running for a new office.

Not quite the same. Senators and presidential candidates try to win states, while representatives win their districts. Pelosi's district won't elect a Republican in our lifetimes, and I bet she's really popular there - all that matters vis-a-vis her electability.

Oh, I know. I just noticed the comment about baggage, and it is undeniable that she is used as a political weapon by republicans. She has been vilified for over a decade. Same thing that happened to Hillary. Look at how they're using her against Ossoff. I like her a lot, just wonder about it is all.

kirblar

I work full-time and have four kids. EITC is a HUGE blessing. Losing it would be crushing for our finances.
A serious issue with it right now is that if you don't have kids or are a non-custodial parent you don't get jack from it.
Oh, I know. I just noticed the comment about baggage, and it is undeniable that she is used as a political weapon by republicans. She has been vilified for over a decade. Same thing that happened to Hillary. Look at how they're using her against Ossoff. I like her a lot, just wonder about it is all.
It's because the GOP is a party of conservative men. Any high profile woman will be targeted and pilloried.

I understand, but remember they'd make a boogey(wo)man of any Democratic leader or Speaker.

Plinko

A serious issue with it right now is that if you don't have kids or are a non-custodial parent you don't get jack from it.

It's because the GOP is a party of men. Any high profile woman will be targeted and pilloried.

Yes, they will. That said, once she is gone, so is the scare tactic, and there is nobody anywhere close to being that type of boogeyman for the GOP after her.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's a total false equivalence and you know it. She's not the face of the party or running for higher office. If she wasn't there the GOP would use Schumer or the new leader to do the same shit they do with her.

Valhelm

contribute something
This makes no sense. Wasting resources on a lost cause just means you have fewer available when truly competitive races come up. Quist raised over $7M dollars and still lost by six points. If the national Democratic groups had invested another $3 or $4M he losses by three or four instead. How does that help anyone?

Quist was polling exceptionally well in a very red state. He was lightning in a bottle, a charismatic left-wing insurgent candidate offering strategic advice that the Democrats could have used to win other rural districts that went for Trump in November. If had received actual DNC support, he may have won.

I'm very worried that these mistakes will keep the Democrats from sweeping 2018.

Quist was polling exceptionally well in a very red state. He was lightning in a bottle, a charismatic left-wing insurgent candidate offering strategic advice that the Democrats could have used to win other rural districts that went for Trump in November. If had received actual DNC support, he may have won.

I'm very worried that these mistakes will keep the Democrats from sweeping 2018.

Maybe he would have won if he actually paid his taxes

The road to winning *and maintaining* the House isn't in rural districts, at any rate

I mean, he lost and lost by more than Bullock and Tester, who ended up being much better fits for the state. Part of it was that he was so inexperienced and got bogged down by terrible tax decisions he made throughout his career!

Plinko

It's a total false equivalence and you know it. She's not the face of the party or running for higher office. If she wasn't there the GOP would use Schumer or the new leader to do the same shit they do with her.

Chill out.

Pelosi has been vilified on the right just as bad as Hillary has, and has been for years. Not sure how often you ever listen to right-wing media, but she is THE go-to for Limbaugh and Hannity. She just is. I heard it myself for years and years. I'm sorry--when she goes, that is gone. Yeah, they WILL use the new person to try and vilify, but that takes years to do--sometimes a decade or more. That same argument people in here give for wanting a fresh face to run for president! That applies here.

I DON'T WANT HER GONE. I just wondered how Reid feels about it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Chill out.

Pelosi has been vilified on the right just as bad as Hillary has, and has been for years. Not sure how often you ever listen to right-wing media, but she is THE go-to for Limbaugh and Hannity. She just is. I heard it myself for years and years. I'm sorry--when she goes, that is gone. Yeah, they WILL use the new person to try and vilify, but that takes years to do--sometimes a decade or more.

Nah, I'm chill. I'm just saying that if it isn't her it'll be the next guy. And besides, the only people who really care are those whose votes won't change: the hardcore GOP base. Getting rid of her won't win them over, there's no point in appealing to them since they won't move in the first place. The people we want to try and win over don't give a shit about her.

Valhelm

contribute something
Maybe he would have won if he actually paid his taxes

The road to winning *and maintaining* the House isn't in rural districts, at any rate

Gianforte would have lost if the Democrats would have actually paid attention to the district and identified that a Democrat could do well. This way, we wouldn't have had to place our hopes and dreams on a small-time country singer with a sketchy financial record.

tbh Thompson did way better than Quist but was stuck in a much worse district to try for :(

Thompson is the real tragedy. His voters had a lot more to lose, too.

He used what 6 million dollars? How many more millions should have been poured into the race?

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/early-voting-n774316

Some more data on the EV.

Over 140,000 ballots have already been cast in the Georgia congressional race Tuesday in which Democrat Jon Ossoff is looking to flip a decades-held Republican seat and defeat GOP opponent Karen Handel — and there are some slightly positive signs for the Democrat.

As of June 19, 140,510 votes (a quarter of all registered voters in the district) have been cast. This number is more than double the number of early votes in the April 18 runoff election (58,825) and approaches the number of early voters for the 2016 presidential race last November (195,852).

graphic1use_ce163f7b5b7c7027ae22594d31bfdf6d.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

graphic2use_0af7b2c36e071e739361a392e263e612.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

Although Ossoff did remarkably well among early voters in the April 18 runoff election, he performed much worse among Election Day voters, and many more voters went to the polls rather than vote in advance. This is also consistent with patterns of early voting in key swing states that looked advantageous for Clinton in the 2016 general election but did not provide a solid enough lead to win.

The final result in the runoff election underscores an important caveat when interpreting early votes: Election Day turnout and voter composition is not fully known until Election Day and certainly has the ability to change the outcome of the election.

Demographics of early special election voters helps get a sense of how a race might be shaping up. In particular, party affiliation is usually the best predictor of how someone might vote. Using party affiliation as a proxy for vote choice is trickier in the case of Georgia, however, which does not require voters to self-affiliate with a particular party when registering to vote.

In order to gauge what types of voters might be turning out for the June 20 race, the NBC News Data Analytics Lab analyzed partisan scores computed and provided by TargetSmart. These scores estimate the likelihood that a voter supports the Democratic or Republican Party. Scores closer to 0 represent more likely Republican voters and scores closer to 100 represent more likely Democratic voters.

The figure below, which plots the distribution of partisan scores among April 18 voters overall, shows that Georgia District 6 voters are more Republican-leaning than Democratic.

graphic3use_725929af230c59dd0f41685e0f009941.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

Among early June 20 voters, we see a similar distribution of partisans — indicating a likely close race between Ossoff and Handel.

graphic4use_6049069d8799b1286aa1dc004163c419.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

While these scores give us some idea of the actual vote, they are only approximate, and other variables may be more useful in interpreting how a race is headed. Perhaps a more clear way to measure how Ossoff and Handel might be doing is to look at early voters by race.

graphic5use_a459d2776af4da4fc4acb236e91be3b1.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

In the April 18 election, African-American voters made up 10.5 percent of early voters and 8.81 percent of Election Day voters. In early June 20 voting so far, African-American voters make up 9.41 percent of early voters — down slightly from their proportion among early voters in the April 18 voting round. Hispanic and Asian voters, however, make up slightly larger proportions of the electorate — indicating that Ossoff’s campaign might be successful in mobilizing other minority voters.

graphic6use_fbcdbddb14cea628f15528aac354f672.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

The age and racial breakdown of these voters may give some clues for whether these new voters might be leaning toward Ossoff or Handel. These voters are considerably less white than early voters overall — a potentially good sign for Ossoff.

graphic7use_20fe7c2eed731bd10a086dbd570a697a.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

Additionally, these voters skew slightly younger than early voters overall. This could potentially be another positive sign for Ossoff as Democrats tend to gain larger support from young voters.

graphic8use_23b4744037b0937d3ca96559e7ddb935.nbcnews-ux-600-480.png

Gianforte would have lost if the Democrats would have actually paid attention to the district and identified that a Democrat could do well. This way, we wouldn't have had to place our hopes and dreams on a small-time country singer with a sketchy financial record.

These two posts were posted within 7 minutes of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom