• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT4| The leaks are coming from inside the white house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Probably the "Better Deal" platform Schumer has been working on for a while with other Ds. I thought it was going to be rolled out later in the summer and I figured they wanted to let the GOP self-conflagrate with their healthcare nonsense so more (and take up all the oxygen) but they want to move the time table up?

Makes sense they want to roll it out soon and let it percolate over the recess in contrast to the GOP's plan.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sanders couldn't put the cat back in the bag after the convention. You don't go from saying you Democratic challenger is corrupt and is every bit as evil as the Republican say she was for 30 years, to everything is fine, support her now.

Sanders lost control of his campaign and followers. He used words and attacks that served him in the short term, ignoring the possible long term negative consequences on the liberal movement .

Russia and Trump used disenfranchises Sanders supporters to full effect.

It is completely reasonable to think Sanders is a good man while thinking he ran a campaign that damaged liberal unity.

This is completely ignoring the facts. Again, more Sanders primary voters voted Clinton than Clinton voters voted Obama. If you're saying Sanders lost control of his campaign and followers, Clinton did so in 2008 even more badly. Obama still won, because he was a good candidate.

Again, 90% of Sanders primary voters went Clinton. 90%! It strikes me as wildly implausible that you could realistically achieve much better. What you're basically asking for now is "nobody should have challenged Clinton in the Democratic primary", since that's the only way that there would be have been no lost Democratic primary voters. At the point you're basically asking to scrap the internal process of scrutiny, it's time to admit you should have just found a better candidate.

Sanders' influence on Clinton's loss was effectively insignificant. He didn't damage her chances any more than a serious Biden run would have.

Hahahaha, that was fast! Sessions out of the office by the end of the month?
He really can't afford.. because

One, Sessions is involved in some capacity and he can't run the risk of Sessions ever deciding to squeal on whatever he knows

Two, he has to find someone willing to do it and even if he does, the leaks will be 10x worse than Comey if Mueller goes.

Now would be a good time to confirm once and for all what happens if Mueller is fired.
Barring rules being changed, Trump can't fire Mueller directly. He will have to fire Sessions (he can't because of Sessions being implicated and Sessions isn't stepping down according to CNN today)

And more news
https://mobile.twitter.com/business/status/888044881796636673

https://mobile.twitter.com/business/status/888045462711873537

Your move Donnie

chadskin

The U.S. says Exxon violated the sanctions in May 2014 when two subsidiaries signed deals with Igor Sechin. Sechin is the chairman of Russian oil giant Rosneft and is on a U.S. blacklist over Russia’s actions in Ukraine.

Sechin was named in the Steele dossier for meeting with Carter Page to cut a deal to get sanctions lifted. Yahoo News separately reported this meeting took place:
But U.S. officials have since received intelligence reports that during that same three-day trip, Page met with Igor Sechin, a longtime Putin associate and former Russian deputy prime minister who is now the executive chairman of Rosneft, Russian’s leading oil company, a well-placed Western intelligence source tells Yahoo News.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-s-inte...ween-trump-adviser-and-kremlin-175046002.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/business/status/888043951118323713

Mueller is going after Donnie's businesses now..

I await to see Donnie's response to this

cEXOR5.gif

Now would be a good time to confirm once and for all what happens if Mueller is fired.

If Trump wants to fire Mueller he needs to first fire Sessions and Rosenstein, then fire everyone else in the chain of command in the DOJ until he finds someone willing to drop Mueller. It'll be a repeat of the Saturday Night Massacre, only worse because Trump hasn't really staffed his DOJ beyond Sessions. Most of the people still there are not people staffed by Trump.

What follows after depends on Congressional reaction. Many senators and representatives have already stated they're withholding judgment on the Trump/Russia scandal until Mueller makes a decision. With the story being as hot as it is, and with Trump acting like an inane crazy person after a SNM Part II, I don't see how they can't rehire Mueller for an independent investigation/prosecution.

If that doesn't work, honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the intelligence community go full coup. If Trump fires Mueller, Trump will be forced out of the presidency one way or another.

This is completely ignoring the facts. Again, more Sanders primary voters voted Clinton than Clinton voters voted Obama. If you're saying Sanders lost control of his campaign and followers, Clinton did so in 2008 even more badly. Obama still won, because he was a good candidate.

What are these facts that you keep referring to? I've looked around and the only thing supporting this claim is a single review of the exit polling data that came out a couple of days after the election. We've seen that exit polling for the election was deeply flawed because they polled too many urban voters. Given that Clinton was crushed in rural areas this wouldn't account for those voters or Sanders supporters who just stayed home.

royalan

Again, 90% of Sanders primary voters went Clinton. 90%! It strikes me as wildly implausible that you could realistically achieve much better. What you're basically asking for now is "nobody should have challenged Clinton in the Democratic primary", since that's the only way that there would be have been no lost Democratic primary voters. At the point you're basically asking to scrap the internal process of scrutiny, it's time to admit you should have just found a better candidate.

Sanders' influence on Clinton's loss was effectively insignificant. He didn't damage her chances any more than a serious Biden run would have.

But it's not really about the people who voted. It's about the people who didn't.

"Hillary Clinton is corrupt" was the steady drumbeat of last year. The way Bernie campaigned against her, the specific attacks he used, only contributed to that steady, almost imperceptible feeling that Hillary Clinton just couldn't be trusted.

Reading the Bloomberg story about Mueller investigating Trump's finances, I realized I had missed this detail.

Bloomberg said:
Agents are also interested in dealings with the Bank of Cyprus, where Wilbur Ross served as vice chairman before he became commerce secretary,

Wilbur Ross worked for the main Russian money laundering bank?! How did I miss that?

Chococat

This is completely ignoring the facts. Again, more Sanders primary voters voted Clinton than Clinton voters voted Obama. If you're saying Sanders lost control of his campaign and followers, Clinton did so in 2008 even more badly.

Again, 90% of Sanders primary voters went Clinton. 90%! It strikes me as wildly implausible that you could realistically achieving much better.

You're quoting a article from July for that 90% figure. It was down to 82% by November (Chicago Tribune has it down to 68%). Also, it doesn't count people who abstained from voting. If you going to claim I'm ignoring facts, then it is up to you to use actual facts that correspond with time thing happened.

Given the slim margins Hillary lost by in a few states, Bernie and Jill Stein voter did have an impact. They were not alone, the Russian and GOP propaganda took a bite out too. It becomes clearer every day that 2016 election was stolen from the American people. Between Putin's agenda, Trump's greed and narcissism, and the Right's constant stream of propaganda. Hillary just happened to be candidate it was stolen from. If Bernie got the nomination, the same would have happened to him.

What you're basically asking for now is "nobody should have challenged Clinton in the Democratic primary.

This is utter slanderous bullshit. Do not attribute false word or motives into me. Personal attacks are a weak.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But it's not really about the people who voted. It's about the people who didn't.

"Hillary Clinton is corrupt" was the steady drumbeat of last year. The way Bernie campaigned against her, the specific attacks he used, only contributed to that steady, almost imperceptible feeling that Hillary Clinton just couldn't be trusted.

Eh, republicans have been using that for a decade, though. Not a huge Bernie fan any more, but I don't think you can blame him for that one.

royalan

Eh, republicans have been using that for a decade, though. Not a huge Bernie fan any more, but I don't think you can blame him for that one.
Yes, Republicans had been saying it for decades. But Bernie Sanders can be blamed for reflecting those very same attacks at her from the left. He legitimized them.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

He really can't afford.. because

One, Sessions is involved in some capacity and he can't run the risk of Sessions ever deciding to squeal on whatever he knows

Two, he has to find someone willing to do it and even if he does, the leaks will be 10x worse than Comey if Mueller goes.

Barring rules being changed, Trump can't fire Mueller directly. He will have to fire Sessions (he can't because of Sessions being implicated and Sessions isn't stepping down according to CNN today)

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Do you really trust the republicans in Congress to re-hire Mueller again? I don't.

Yes, Republicans had been saying it for decades. But Bernie Sanders can be blamed for reflecting those very same attacks at her from the left. He legitimized them.

Isn't this what happens in nearly every primary cycle?

Ecotic

How long is Mueller's investigation expected to take? The Trump Organization is not a public company and so nothing has ever been subject to ongoing scrutiny. It seems like it would take years.

Hindl

Not that I necessarily agree with the whole Bernie dogpile going on in here right now, but it's one thing for a liberal to hear Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Trump, etc. call Clinton corrupt and another for a liberal to hear Bernie Sanders call Clinton corrupt

Owzers

Sessions is thinking every day "I'm going to make you proud dad" and trump will never let this go. But but but dark web, forfeitures, drugs! When will it be enough for him to love me again :(

Crocodile

Reading the Bloomberg story about Mueller investigating Trump's finances, I realized I had missed this detail.

Wilbur Ross worked for the main Russian money laundering bank?! How did I miss that?

Maddow did a whole segment about it like a month or two ago so I guess this development shouldn't be a surprise if journalists are noticing it.

Blader

It's different hearing that from the other Democrat/liberal running for president than from Fox News. Particularly for the voters who were drawn into the process by Bernie.

Plinko

Years sadly.

Things seem to be moving faster than anticipated, and I am curious to know if this thing is being timed to coincide with the run-up to the 2018 elections.
It's different hearing that from the other Democrat/liberal running for president than from Fox News. Particularly for the voters who were drawn into the process by Bernie.

Not that I necessarily agree with the whole Bernie dogpile going on in here right now, but it's one thing for a liberal to hear Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity, Trump, etc. call Clinton corrupt and another for a liberal to hear Bernie Sanders call Clinton corrupt

This is true. Plus, Bernie did have a cult-like following.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Given the slim margins Hillary lost by in a few states, Bernie and Jill Stein voter did have an impact. They were not alone, the Russian and GOP propaganda took a bite out too. It becomes clearer every day that 2016 election was stolen from the American people. Between Putin's agenda, Trump's greed and narcissism, and the Right's constant stream of propaganda. Hillary just happened to be candidate it was stolen from. If Bernie got the nomination, the same would have happened to him.

Okay, so this is broadly true. Clinton's loss was so slight that changing any one of a number of things would have changed the result, and so you could blame any one of those things for being the 'critical factor'. But, more broadly... she should never have been in that position in the first place. None of them should have been critical factors! She was running against the most disliked presidential candidate in post-war American history, on the coat-tails of a largely popular incumbent with a good economic track-record given the context. It should have been a blowout.

The main factor wasn't Russia, or Trump, or rightwing propaganda, or Sanders, or Stein, or the electoral college, it was Clinton herself. She was an unappealing candidate who badly misjudged the zeitgeist and ran an incompetent campaign. Change any of those things and Russia can do all they like, the right can smear all they like, it wouldn't have been sufficient.

The more you blame all of those other factors, the more you're handicapping yourself for the next presidential election, since you're trying to absolve yourself of responsibility. You're the Principal Skinner of politics - are you out of touch? No, it's the electorate who are wrong. And the electorate will resent that. The way you need to treat it is to say, as someone who actually did become a Democratic President once said, the buck stops here.

Blaming Sanders for doing a better job at party unity than Clinton in '08 or Edwards in '04 does nothing. You couldn't reasonably have expected more of him, he delivered more than Democratic nominee opponents normally deliver. You also alienate the people who like him - which is the clear majority of the American electorate. He's the most popular national politician, and you're running away from him. It's dumb.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Do you really trust the republicans in Congress to re-hire Mueller again? I don't.
Depends on if they are ready to go down with the ship for Donnie. Donnie firing Comey hurt him even amongst reliable Gopper voters. Firing Mueller after going through Rosenstein, Sessions and the rest of the DOJ just to get rid of Mueller is a P.R battle that can't be spun that easily (especially since Donnie will blow up any PR strategy they come up with like he did when he fired Comey).

They could decide to in the end to not reappoint Mueller since they don't want to lose the looney voter base and risk a primary from the fringe.

Plinko

Depends on if they are ready to go down with the ship for Donnie. Donnie firing Comey hurt him even amongst reliable Gopper voters. Firing Mueller after going through Rosenstein, Sessions and the rest of the DOJ just to get rid of Mueller is a P.R battle that can't be spun that easily (especially since Donnie will blow up any PR strategy they come up with like he did when he fired Comey).

They could decide to in the end to not reappoint Mueller since they don't want to lose the looney voter base and risk a primary from the fringe.

Republicans are still trying to push through a huge transfer of wealth to the rich disguised as a health care plan that has an approval rating under 25%. I'm not sure republicans really care about PR at this point.

Republicans are still trying to push through a huge transfer of wealth to the rich disguised as a health care plan that has an approval rating under 25%. I'm not sure republicans really care about PR at this point.

On the other hand, the harder they try to spin/avoid Russia and the various investigations, the lower Fox's viewership drops. That's a very real part of the equation here.

Loxley

How long is Mueller's investigation expected to take? The Trump Organization is not a public company and so nothing has ever been subject to ongoing scrutiny. It seems like it would take years.

At least a year or two would be my guess. There's no way all of this is wrapped up before midterms, the investigation appears to be growing by the month.

royalan

Okay, so this is broadly true. Clinton's loss was so slight that changing any one of a number of things would have changed the result, and so you could blame any one of those things for being the 'critical factor'. But, more broadly... she should never have been in that position in the first place. None of them should have been critical factors! She was running against the most disliked presidential candidate in post-war American history, on the coat-tails of a largely popular incumbent with a good economic track-record given the context. It should have been a blowout.

The main factor wasn't Russia, or Trump, or rightwing propaganda, or Sanders, or Stein, or the electoral college, it was Clinton herself. She was an unappealing candidate who badly misjudged the zeitgeist and ran an incompetent campaign. Change any of those things and Russia can do all they like, the right can smear all they like, it wouldn't have been sufficient.

The more you blame all of those other factors, the more you're handicapping yourself for the next presidential election, since you're trying to absolve yourself of responsibility. You're the Principal Skinner of politics - are you out of touch? No, it's the electorate who are wrong. And the electorate will resent that. The way you need to treat it is to say, as someone who actually did become a Democratic President once said, the buck stops here.

Blaming Sanders for doing a better job at party unity than Clinton in '08 or Edwards in '04 does nothing. You couldn't reasonably have expected more of him, he delivered more than Democratic nominee opponents normally deliver. You also alienate the people who like him - which is the clear majority of the American electorate. He's the most popular national politician, and you're running away from him. It's dumb.
Bernie was the most popular national politician...who got curbstomped by the second most disliked politician in the primary. Who then couldn't keep his support together enough to operate a simple PAC in the months after the primary. Who then couldn't get any of the candidates for lesser office he supported elected. So much for that popularity, the good it's doing him

Nobody should run from Bernie. And nobody is absolving Clinton of her obvious mistakes. But Bernie's campaign was a factor. And it's an important one to note, because the progressive wing is looking to once again get their dreams crushed when their 2020 darling, whoever that is, gets demolished by the candidate who actually takes the time to appeal to minorities and women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom